Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Red Minjo posted:

That's unchanged from the original release.
They probably should have changed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

Hooktail being a Foot Weirdo is well-established and Mario canon would be ruined if they were to change it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leal posted:

Well? What option did you choose?

I almost opted to go with it just to see what happened, but I didn't feel like redoing the fight in case it was a game over (which I assume it was, given how things play out after you win?)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Nintendo, whyyyy :negative:

I won't kinkshame. This is a safe space. You can admit you wanted to sniff his feet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Back then I played Hellblade in close proximity to God of War and it gave me the lasting impression that all viking themed games had a too rigid, too close, too narrow FOV combat cam.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Back then I played Hellblade in close proximity to God of War and it gave me the lasting impression that all viking themed games had a too rigid, too close, too narrow FOV combat cam.

I hate GoW for introducing this idea. It's terrible for a melee focused action game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The thing that gets my blood boiling about GoW (2018 The Norse Adventures) is that Dead Space 1 already did the over the shoulder 0 cuts camera thing!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Randalor posted:

I won't kinkshame. This is a safe space. You can admit you wanted to sniff his feet.

Hooktail is female, i'll have you know.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’m a bit past the second boss, Ango Natsume, in Persona 5 Strikers. When I fought him, even though I was really overleveled and had a team very capable of hitting his weaknesses, the fight took FOREVER and I burned through a ton of healing items.

I just fought him in the rematch Request and uhhhh apparently he has phases and armor and stuff that didn’t trigger correctly for me the first time around. I think he has some kind of super armor spell up during the first portion of the fight that just never broke properly so he didn’t go into the next phase. There’s forced pauses and dialog during the phase shifts, and the enemy’s model changes for the last phase, so it’s not like it was happening and I just missed it. It turns out the fight is a lot more fun when it’s not just slashing at a brick wall for twenty minutes!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
do u think that hooktail gets embarrassed when she shows her feet in front of mario??? sorry if this ofends anyone but i thought it was a funny thing haha. and i would like to know if any of you have any pics of hooktail showing feet while she looks nervous or embarrassed i just want to see it for a few laughs haha. another thing i am wondering is what do you think the feet smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
decided to give arkham origins a spin and it's pretty decent, but it takes way too long to get the shock gloves and glue grenades considering how many of the overworld collectibles seem to require them

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I frequently have the urge to replay Origins for the third or fourth time because I like it a lot and think it's unfairly maligned but then I remember the goddamn Stealth progression track and get mad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you know about it, it's not too bad. The game really needed some extra polish though. It has some very frustrating bits and bugs that you didn't really see in the Rocksteady games.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Hooktail is female, i'll have you know.

My apologies. You can admit you wanted to sniff her feet.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

SLOSifl posted:

Wow, way to disrespect the developers intentions.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
It's a shame From Software curtailed Miyazaki and we forever lament the loss of Demon's Feet.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I did not appreciate Origins dropping the main plot midway so it could adapt The Killing Joke instead. Pick a lane man.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Despite that, I still feel that Troy Baker did well as that version of the character.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BioEnchanted posted:

Despite that, I still feel that Troy Baker did well as that version of the character.

The only issue I have with Baker is that he's doing a Hamill impression and I would have liked them to let him do his own take. But that was obviously never going to happen

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the skill unlocking system in Origins was annoying too. Like you had to do specific things to unlock skills but you only had so many chances to do some of the prerequisites like anything involving a predator room.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Each Arkham game should end with you beating up the Joker so hard they swap voice actors every game.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Fell off a building in Little Kitty, Big City, which happens all the time. This time I landed inside another building and can't get out.

I've encountered glitches in the game before (getting stuck in the scale at the produce store which led to me spinning endlessly for one), which was fixed by saving, closing the game and starting it again.

Did not work this time. I was near the end of the game and only used the one save slot. :negative:

(It's 2024, why are games still limiting the number of save slots? Or in the case of Nintendo, making me either delete a saved game or create a new use profile if I want to do another playthrough of a game.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finished Jedi Survivor and the game's bugginess definitely had a bad effect on the ending since I thought at first that the whole "dramatic speed up" thing they were doing was the character animations bugging out.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Yeah I didn't budge on the Honor/Cowardice debate from moment one and it really affected how I took in the story. Daisuke Tsuji did an amazing job as Jin to sell you on his character evolving over the course of the story no matter how you played... Buuuut if you see honor during an ancient war against invaders of all things as a dumb concept from the start, then the moment he goes Ghost makes you wanna go "FINALLY, DUHHH!"

After about a dozen hours into the game by now, I'm unfortunately kinda coming down on the second half of that statement. Several times now the story went "Oh woe is Jin, how sad to see him driven to such dishonorable methods!" and it just doesn't land for me at all. It might make more of a difference if the two approaches actually had material differences in outcome, e.g. if the "dishonorable" path would involve stuff like leaving civilians to die in order to more effectively prosecute the war.

And maybe that might still come up in the story, but so far the distinction exclusively comes down to the specific manner in which you're producing dead mongol soldiers. The outcome is the same, even the "honorable" Jin kills hundreds if not thousands of people, he just feels more smug about it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that really helps the game is the performances in Ghost of Tsushima, like in that moment where the villain is trying to get into a fortress, and the traitor basket-head Ronin dude is acting as his second in command, and the villain starts setting hostages on fire as leverage so they'll let him in, and the Ronin's just shouting himself hoarse begging the fortress to just open the gates because of how badly horrified he is by the situation he's not stuck in as he severely underestimated the brand of bastard that he's just signed on with

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jin pursuing “dishonorable” tactics is mainly treated as a negative not because of its inherent morality but because it alienates him from his own society, which chiefly treats warfare as a very elaborate roleplay. japan’s intransigence drives him to extremes just as much as the mongols’ brutality

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've been playing Majora's Mask now that the recompile recently popped out.
(MM64 without any issues, incompatability, and some QoL stuff on top? Nice. Having 'native' 60fps and widescreen without needing to deal with an emulator is great.)
And it's been elevated a lot by simple stuff like gyro aiming, and assigning the ocarina + 3 main masks to the d-pad, freeing up c-button space.

But one thing that really drags the game down is the split fairies, which seem to exist primarily as a way to pad the gametime in dungeons.
I think they're all optional, but optional as in 'not game critical, but most players would go for it.' since they give a couple fairly big upgrades. (And you're pretty much punished for not completing both at once, timewise.)
It's just an annoying slog making sure you've got all of them as you scan through a dungeon (and have to keep swapping masks back and forth to check if there are any left.)

Dungeons and the split fairies reset on the end of a time loop, so if you end up not getting them all, you basically have to redo the dungeon later on to get them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's been awhile since I've played Ghosts, but weren't most of the side characters taking the stance of "What you're doing isn't honorable, but there's no other real way forward" if not outright encouraging underhanded tactics and it's just the uncle who's hard-core "Death before dishonor"?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ghost of Tsushima wants to show Jin becoming this sort of folk hero who dispenses with honor to fight a guerrilla war against the Mongol horde, except all the supporting characters besides like two are also stuffy aristocrats, so instead you have to settle for “you’re being called the Ghost now Jin, to all my fellow commoners who are conveniently out of frame.”

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Kingom Hearts 3 Finished the director's cut of the excellent 2 just beforehand, so inevitable bias.
  • Twilight Town and 100 Acre Wood return, but are cut down to absolutely nothing. I don't know why they bothered including them given their utter irrelevance.
  • The cooking system is useless on any difficulty except on Critical and Level 1 runs. There's a crummy minigame where you lose the ingredients if you fail. Half the ingredients can't be bought, only farmed. Also, loading screens.
  • Some worlds are massive, but there's no map-screen nor any in-game way of tracking missing collectibles without a guide.
  • Several scenes are dedicated to Maleficent and Pete looking for JJ Abram's mystery box. This subplot goes absolutely nowhere and you don't even fight the pair.
  • There are little to no Disney bosses, just giant heartless. You don't fight Randall from Monsters Inc, but instead a big pile of shite that stunlocks you in its second phase. Buzz and Woody don't face Zurg, but instead a big faceless UFO thing.
  • While Disney no doubt were responsible for that last issue, it was the director who decided on no FF characters appearing. So you can never go to Radiant Garden, despite numerous scenes set there, to prevent you from running into Cloud or Tifa. gently caress knows why when the fact this franchise was started as a crossover of the two properties in the first place. Nobody cared if the "minor" games downplayed the FF element, you can't expect the same from a mainline game without backlash. This is like how Yakuza 6 was supposed to be a finale for Kiryu, despite sidelining his entire supporting cast that people cared about.
  • The finale stops dead for a couple minutes so you can play in a jungle gym with a bunch of mental clones of yourself.
  • The pacing is horrendous. The first 90% of the game is spent doing literally nothing to further the plot. All the heavy lifting happens in the last five hours. It's as if the Roxas prologue from 2 lasted the entire game.
  • Combat feels disconnected because you are overpowered from the get-go. Just press Y after a combo to unleash random poo poo like a high-level elemental spell or a Disney ride like the spinning teacups.
  • You have to change the camera-controls everytime you engage in combat during the Gummi ship sections. A 3D space-sim and 2D shoot-em-up have very different needs.
Bizarrely, the world based on that Pirates sequel nobody liked is really good. It's a trimmed down version of Assassins Creed: Black Flag. It even has a better climax than the movie because it has the Kraken as a setpiece, instead of being killed offscreen because the writing sucked.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:46 on May 25, 2024

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Ghost of Tsushima is pretty great so far (I'm getting ready to assault the castle on the first island), except that sometimes during standoffs, the button to attack doesn't respond to being pressed, so I get hit and don't get to chain-kill 3 dudes. More importantly, it makes Jin look foolish and incompetent. The button works fine the rest of the time, so I don't think it's my keyboard. It may just be a M+KB/pc port problem, but it's annoying in any case. If it's an enemy camp or something, I can reload the last checkpoint and that usually fixes it, but random encounters don't seem to respawn in the same location after a reload. That's basically the only thing that has dragged down an otherwise quite good game. I hope Sony continues to make PC versions of their good games.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Now I kind of want a game where because the protagonist starts bad at swords, it's not that they do less damage, more that they can't do efficient damage, so he'll go for a killing blow, but miss and accidentally partially flay the guys arm so instead of just being dead the guy's like "AAAahhhhh gently caress that hurts..." and the protagonist is just like "Oh god I'm so sorry... I was going for your liver but lost control of the blade..."

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Guybrush of Threepwood

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BioEnchanted posted:

Now I kind of want a game where because the protagonist starts bad at swords, it's not that they do less damage, more that they can't do efficient damage, so he'll go for a killing blow, but miss and accidentally partially flay the guys arm so instead of just being dead the guy's like "AAAahhhhh gently caress that hurts..." and the protagonist is just like "Oh god I'm so sorry... I was going for your liver but lost control of the blade..."

There’s a section in BG3 where you have to cut off someone’s head that you can comically lose the roll for as a weakling class.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

moosecow333 posted:

Each Arkham game should end with you beating up the Joker so hard they swap voice actors every game.

Replaying Arkham Knight with my son and it's way better than I remembered. The main complaint was "too much batmobile", which is fair, but I think the side quests, story progression and clever use of The Joker are all very good. Despite the repetitive car segments, the game itself has a LOT of variety and, so far, I'm liking it more than City, which we just finished. And a lot of the batmobile stuff can be skipped if you ignore the Riddler trophies and just choose to glide everywhere which is way more fun.

EDIT:

Question about Arkham Knight: If I use a DLC skin/suit, does it remove the ballistic armor defense I receive early on that I seem to need? Or is that kind of built into the story and it doesn't matter? I guess I could test it out and see if I start getting one shot wearing the 70's costume or whatever.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 12:36 on May 26, 2024

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arkham Knight was the best one. Not even the Cloudburst can tamper with it. And the riddler races are piss easy if you switch to first-person.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

that's tsushima's stealth kills in the early game, jin's not familiar with using a blade that way so he's basically prying open his victims' arteries as they desperately gurgle on their own blood

upgrade that skill tree and eventually it's a quick, soundless slit-and-drop

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I forgot the Peach interludes in Thousand Year Door were so draggy. I guess they were like that in the first one, so it's not really unexpected. At least the Bowser ones are snappier, I'm getting some laughs and they go by faster. The rest of the game's great, though, I just want to get back into quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've got to the final level in Skatebird as I finally got around to continuing it after beating the first couple of levels a few months ago. The objectives are charming and the story is cute, but the problem is that the central mechanics are really imprecise. In Tony Hawk games, you have really specific controls and know precisely how your character will move and interact with the objects around them but the cute little bird is just too floaty, which is appropriate for a bird but makes things like combos really frustrating because sometimes you'll go flying across the level and into a wall and lose a big combo because you've built up too much speed. This one mission in the final story area is annoying too because it gives you 110 seconds to do a bunch of objectives, and one is hold a combo for 30 seconds which just feels like it's wasting a third of the time that that mission gives you, especially if you play too carefully and the combo ends up being a small one that gives few points, especially because then you have to use the little remaining time to get 60,000 points.