Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
gavin gonna gavin

https://twitter.com/JVPBayArea/status/1786074638537404438

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
My mom just moved to CA after living in Florida. She was on a healthcare marketplace plan thru the state of Florida. Looking it up online, I see that she has 60 days to apply for a new plan thru the state of California.

Given that my mom is old, what's the best plan to pick for her? Is a marketplace plan even a good idea?

E: I'm seeing plans on Covered CA for $500-600 with no deductible + 25-30% coinsurance. That's not bad when I compare it to my high-deductible plan.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 3, 2024

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Be sure to check on the medi-cal requirements for her, to see if she qualifies for it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Genuinely medi-cal is better in a lot of ways than the plan my wife pays a decent amount for. It's pretty good as long as you don't need anything serious

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

America Inc. posted:

My mom just moved to CA after living in Florida. She was on a healthcare marketplace plan thru the state of Florida. Looking it up online, I see that she has 60 days to apply for a new plan thru the state of California.

Given that my mom is old, what's the best plan to pick for her? Is a marketplace plan even a good idea?

E: I'm seeing plans on Covered CA for $500-600 with no deductible + 25-30% coinsurance. That's not bad when I compare it to my high-deductible plan.

California is pretty super invested in the health of its marketplace and Medi-Cal. I assume you already checked their Shop and Compare (https://apply.coveredca.com/lw-shopandcompare/) since you seem to have an idea of potential premiums and co-insurance. I’m assuming she’s not already eligible for Medicare?

Oh also make sure she calls the Florida marketplace to cancel that plan - some people assume the different states talk to each other and cancel stuff automatically. That doesn’t happen. If she enrolls through Covered CA, her plan should start June 1st as long as she enrolls by the end of May.

Highbrow Slick fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 3, 2024

May 8, 2024

quote:

Spare a Medi-Cal health insurance policy?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I wish I could buy medi-cal insurance. It was some of the best coverage I've had.

Kaiser is more responsive but they try their best to never see you and use an app as a substitute for mental health care.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 8, 2024

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
medi-cal was much better in a lot of ways than my wife's expensive insurance i have now.

most ways aside from dental, really

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
medi-cal for all, please

050924_2
May 9, 2024

CompeAnansi posted:

medi-cal for all, please

its like a free subscription to never cure HIV/AIDS

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

CopperHound posted:

I wish I could buy medi-cal insurance. It was some of the best coverage I've had.

Kaiser is more responsive but they try their best to never see you and use an app as a substitute for mental health care.

Kaiser is managing Medi-Cal now, in LA County at least. Not sure if it's statewide.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I forget medical has regional management. I guess I should specify Central California Alliance for Health.

Being able to have indefinite therapy without some specific problem to cure in 12 weeks is great.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

likewise for gold coast in ventura

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

CopperHound posted:

Maybe Kaiser does this regionally, too? I know there are Northern and Southern regions. I’m in the Southern region with Kaiser and have 2 appointments with a therapist a month.

Kaiser does have a bunch of programs they push on everyone which are targeted at the median fat, pre-diabetic, non-exercising American, though. If you don’t have a problem solved by those programs, I’ve found you have to sit through a few phone calls where some drone implores you to walk for 20 minutes a day and eat salads before going back to your PCP to get something more appropriate.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

in sf i could choose kaiser or ucsf. i may be mentally ill, but i'm not stupid, so i chose ucsf

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I had fantastic experience with mental health care through Kaiser in the Bay region until, through no fault of Kaiser's, my mental health caused me to lose my job, my insurance, and access to my therapist.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Most of where I work has Kaiser and you’d have to pry it from their cold dead hands. They love it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Most of where I work has Kaiser and you’d have to pry it from their cold dead hands. They love it.

Kaiser is quite convenient as an all in one package. I don't have to worry about which doctors take my insurance or any of the other bullshit. I just go through them and my access to treatment has been quite good.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's fine until you have something a bit rarer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've had nothing but good experience with Kaiser in both northern and southern regions. Of course I didn't live in the Bay Area so maybe I'm just lucky.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Through work I have both Kaiser and Lyra, both have delivered excellent care.

Lyra is a tele-therapy service that we got as a benefit during lockdown. It removes the need to have a therapist that you vibe with locally, so I have access to the entire national network. Pretty cool, and the one I did talk to was good. Lyra itself only works as an employer-provided service, but if there's a tele-therapy service that you can afford that takes private individuals as patients, checking it out to maybe find a good therapist outside your immediate vicinity.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Bald Stalin posted:

It's fine until you have something a bit rarer.

yeah. i kid about kaiser but most of their bad reputation comes from years and years ago when they were much more mba-brained and less medicine-led. the only recent gripes i've heard from anyone have all been like you describe, getting a huge lumbering bureaucracy to deal with outside-the-bell-curve stuff.

one thing they do that i have always been jealous of is their hospitals actually have dispensing pharmacies. when you're a kaiser patient and get seen in a kaiser er, new prescriptions get filled before you leave. i'm with sutter now and i had to drive for three hours to san rafael once to get a scrip filled on a friday evening, with the only alternative being "wait three days". for pain meds for a corneal abrasion.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Also worth noting that all of your doctors are in one place in one website, all in network, and all able to prescribe drugs through their system which you can then order on the same website and have them shipped to you or prepared for pickup.

I thankfully don't have any rare conditions that need treating that make things difficult, but I can understand and sympathize if that makes everything more difficult.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

mllaneza posted:

Lyra is a tele-therapy service that we got as a benefit during lockdown. It removes the need to have a therapist that you vibe with locally, so I have access to the entire national network. Pretty cool, and the one I did talk to was good. Lyra itself only works as an employer-provided service, but if there's a tele-therapy service that you can afford that takes private individuals as patients, checking it out to maybe find a good therapist outside your immediate vicinity.

This doesn't work for California unless they were breaking CA law and practicing without a state license.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I know two people who Kaiser has hosed up. When he was younger, they told my boss his ankle was sprained for weeks, when it was really fractured. It's been hosed up since and will be hosed up for the rest of his life. They also paralyzed one of my clients from the neck down about 6 years ago during a routine surgery.

I think I will stick to anything but Kaiser.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bald Stalin posted:

This doesn't work for California unless they were breaking CA law and practicing without a state license.
I’ve met with Lyra providers who are based in New York and Colorado. I assume they somehow have a CA license. I’m sure it’s good business for them to have access to the CA population.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bald Stalin posted:

Lyra therapists serving CA have California licenses.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Xenix posted:

I know two people who Kaiser has hosed up. When he was younger, they told my boss his ankle was sprained for weeks, when it was really fractured. It's been hosed up since and will be hosed up for the rest of his life. They also paralyzed one of my clients from the neck down about 6 years ago during a routine surgery.

I think I will stick to anything but Kaiser.

These seem like things that could happen under any provider though? Like, Kaiser doesnt somehow have a monopoly on hiring bad doctors

Its also relatively easy to switch your kaiser primary care doctor at least, if you don't like them

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sundae posted:

Lyra therapists serving CA have California licenses.

So not the entire Lyra national network of therapists like OP claimed.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bald Stalin posted:

Since you're going to be pedantic, the claim was " I have access to the entire national network" not that the entire Lyra national network of therapists is available everywhere. You're assuming the OP is in California, but you're the one who brought up CA.

I know it's the CA politics thread, but that doesn't mean all the posters are from there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I know it's the CA politics thread, but that doesn't mean all the posters are from there.

The person you're replying to isn't even in this country let alone hemisphere

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bald Stalin posted:

No one was confused about this :rolleye:

May 13, 2024
wandering around as homeless and seeing random israel/palestine poo poo and then thinking about our society/lives

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1791226462269215192

"According to the L.A. Times, he's suing the county for putting a "Do Not Rehire" notation in his personnel file.
Villanueva's plan to sue the county comes after an oversight panel said he harassed and discriminated against two county employees, recommending he be viewed as ineligible to be rehired.
The former sheriff's lawyer called the panel's recommendation a "lethal blow" to Villanueva's lengthy career."

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

every days a good day to see dennis villanueva step on an upturned rake again

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

every days a good day to see dennis villanueva step on an upturned rake again

You can really see how the Dune films flow from his experience in oppressing the peoples of LA.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
in smaller scale idiots stepping on rakes, Oakland's local idiot Ohio transplant right wing grifter Seneca Scott has attracted the ire of the state AG for running a fraudulent 501(c)3

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Spazzle posted:

You can really see how the Dune films flow from his experience in oppressing the peoples of LA.

so much so that i couldn't help but step on one myself

alex, not dennis. hurfy blurf

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I dont drive but this would kick rear end.
Considering the slow traffic at times.

https://x.com/ABC7/status/1791638760993812687

Of course it would probably come down to more car ratings of mpg of older and newer cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

It’s a good signal that our betters feel that we’re finally done pushing the poors out of the city centers and into the outer suburbs.