Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh yeah another classic in the NIN disco genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I've always wondered what Bleedthrough would have been like. Was the original album more experimental and leaning further in the direction of Beside You In Time & The Line Begins To Blur or was it more of a straight-up garage rock record with Trent deciding to add some variety and rename? We know Non-Entity & Not So Pretty Now were originally recorded for WT but didn't make the final cut and each song is in either camp so it's hard to tell. Non-Entity should have been on the album imo.

Good album though and like most people, my only complaints are with some of the lyrics. Trent must have listened to a lot of Radiohead after the Fragility tour ended because All The Love In The World sounds quite inspired but the music video for Hand That Feeds is literally a copy of Radiohead's music video for Idioteque :haw:

Hope Aaron North is doing well these days.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

All The Love in the World is in top 10 NIN songs for me

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I remember the early interview quotes about the album emphasized it being "monophonic" or something like that, like it wouldn't have chords or something? Which, unless I'm missing some music theory nerd thing, does not seem to have turned out to be the case at all.

I also remember some famous quote about it being "12 punches in the face".

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I fell down a music theory nerd rabbit hole on YouTube and it was pretty fun. Lots of stuff I hadn’t thought of since high school band days. Ixi music is a good watch for lots of NIN music theory content!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

priznat posted:

I fell down a music theory nerd rabbit hole on YouTube and it was pretty fun. Lots of stuff I hadn’t thought of since high school band days. Ixi music is a good watch for lots of NIN music theory content!
She hasn't been doing much NIN content recently because she's been focusing on other artists like Radiohead and A Perfect Circle, but I still watch all her videos :)

Finding/watching her stuff in 2021 singlehandedly inspired me to make my 5th album.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

She hasn't been doing much NIN content recently because she's been focusing on other artists like Radiohead and A Perfect Circle, but I still watch all her videos :)

Finding/watching her stuff in 2021 singlehandedly inspired me to make my 5th album.

Yah she has a ton of NIN content and yeah most of the bands she likes I like too so it’s a solid channel.

She and I are aligned on the secret sauce in Deftones being drummer Abe, he rips.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I first listened to with teeth after trent spoiled the ending of million dollar baby when he complained about people ruining their first experience listening to bootleg copies of the album

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Clown on With Teeth if you want but The Line Begins to Blur/Beside You In Time/Right Where It Belongs is unimpeachable and the best album closer Trent’s ever written

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

With Teeth was always tragically underrated and glad to see other folks big fans of it!

I probably listen to it the most out of any NIN album these days. Maybe Downward Spiral about as much.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I binged With Teeth a few weeks ago and it’s among my favorite albums.

Right Beside You in Time is a top tier song and sounds so good to my ears every single time I hear it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I binged With Teeth a few weeks ago and it’s among my favorite albums.

Right Beside You in Time is a top tier song and sounds so good to my ears every single time I hear it.

The OG and the V2 remix are both such incredible variations of that song
either wall of buzzing noise like you're falling through the angriest wind tunnel or melancholy piano on the edge of the universe

And yeah I'll admit I remember being a little disappointed when it came out (my first was The Fragile) and it's hard not to feel like, compared to that, the scope and ambition didn't just feel like a step down but like... a massive creative earthquake shift

I've come around to it with time but I still think it should have had non-entity and not so pretty now
and maybe some more aggressive or avant-garde instrumentation choices

But the design switch from Carson to Sheridan was huge for them visually. That basically defined the visual language of NIN for the next decade or more

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And today is The Slip's 16th birthday, too! I loved the rollout of that album. And of course the Lights in the Sky tour was the first time I ever saw NIN live, and what a hell of an introduction that was.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I always felt a little let down by With Teeth after the grandiosity of The Fragile (still one of my favorite albums though I'm more inclined to call it bloated now) but also because either the first song that leaked or the first leaked song I heard was The Line Begins To Blur which is imo the best song on the album.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This weekend I’ve been struck by nostalgia and my music nostalgia seems to come from 2003-2006.

I’ve been listening to Jet, Rock Kills Kid, The Strokes, Keane, and Muse. This evening I turned on Muse radio on Spotify and up pops Only. And then I realized the year With Teeth was released.

God drat, the music coming out of that period was so good.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sorkin is writing sequel to Social Network

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/aaron-sorkin-social-network-2-sequel-january-6-facebook-1235983390/amp/

quote:

Aaron Sorkin confirmed during a live recording of “The Town” podcast that he is currently working on some kind of sequel to “The Social Network,” David Fincher’s acclaimed 2010 drama about the creation of Facebook that won Sorkin the Oscar for best adapted screenplay.

“Look, yeah, I’ll be writing about this,” Sorkin said about the social media company’s recent years. “I blame Facebook for January 6.”

Fincher spoke The Guardian last year and seemed conflicted about tackling Facebook and its parent company Meta in a new film, saying: “Aaron and I have talked about it, but, um … that’s a can of worms.”

As for Eisenberg, who earned an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Zuckerberg, he’s long expressed an openness to reprising the role in a potential “Social Network” sequel.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1087143660389466112

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So after listening to With Teeth this weekend I thought "pretty good album, the weak songs are still week but half of it is really good" I put on The Fragile this morning and man, With Teeth just can't compare to that. Challengers [MIXED] sounds awesome on the sound system in my new car but this is next level. I've been listening to a bunch of techno and industrial this week to feel it out and I could definitely feel this one.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

So after listening to With Teeth this weekend I thought "pretty good album, the weak songs are still week but half of it is really good" I put on The Fragile this morning and man, With Teeth just can't compare to that. Challengers [MIXED] sounds awesome on the sound system in my new car but this is next level. I've been listening to a bunch of techno and industrial this week to feel it out and I could definitely feel this one.

The Fragile was the last great rock double album is probably why

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah I don't think an album like "The Fragile" could ever be produced again, at least not in the current music landscape

You can hear the time, the money, and the desperation that went into making it in every track. Layers and layers and snippets you can hear cut from hours of studio noodling
I'd put it right there with Bowie's Outside as a perfect concept album that will never get the love it deserves.

I can only imagine how loving devastating it was for Trent at the time of release for it not to have been received how he'd hoped. I've experienced artistic rejection before but never on that scale.
It's no real surprise he didn't feel like writing again for a few years after that

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah I don't think an album like "The Fragile" could ever be produced again, at least not in the current music landscape

You can hear the time, the money, and the desperation that went into making it in every track. Layers and layers and snippets you can hear cut from hours of studio noodling
I'd put it right there with Bowie's Outside as a perfect concept album that will never get the love it deserves.

I can only imagine how loving devastating it was for Trent at the time of release for it not to have been received how he'd hoped. I've experienced artistic rejection before but never on that scale.
It's no real surprise he didn't feel like writing again for a few years after that
The world wasn't ready for The Fragile yet

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

With Teeth will always hold a special place in my heart entirely because of how loving cool and memorable it was to see the whole ‘Trent picks up the mic stand and shatters the light screen’ effect in person.

https://youtu.be/n_VARyyTa_k

The rest of the album is pretty good too but man, that one just stuck with me.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Vegastar posted:

With Teeth will always hold a special place in my heart entirely because of how loving cool and memorable it was to see the whole ‘Trent picks up the mic stand and shatters the light screen’ effect in person.

That's the best moment of the BYIT DVD, and I wish I'd been able to see it in person. During a live watch-along a couple of years ago in Rob Sheridan's discord, he talked a little about how proud he was of the effect, about destroying the "barrier" separating the band from the audience. Really cool.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

As someone who has only got into NIN later in life, it blows my mind that The Fragile was ever not well regarded.

I think it’s phenomenal. The Downward Spiral is what it is - personally I think it’s such an uncompromising work that it almost transcends criticism or even praise as a music album alone - but I don’t think The Fragile is that far behind it.

Both albums have always kinda sat as a 1a/1b situation to me, and along with Broken form probably my favourite trio of releases in music.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Double albums always have an uphill battle critically. Even The Beatles didn't quite get away with it. Though in time, the ones that are pulled off well eventually get legendary status.

It's also really hard to follow up something as singular, focused, and experimental as TDS. There are some surface-level sonic similarities on TF, but overall he was doing something extremely different, which was a smart move. Because basically you don't follow up TDS. You kind of have to start from scratch. He wisely used his bigger budget while he had the freedom to, but he was also pretty much guaranteed to "fail" on some level.

In terms of a "perfect", "no fat" album, TDS wins. TF definitely is not that. But it's equally necessary and succeeds in a whole different way.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Vegastar posted:

The With Teeth tour was my first NiN live experience, and got me hooked on live shows from that point on.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Where Is Everybody" instrumental came on in my car this morning, after a recent speaker upgrade, and drat that beat slaps.

Chip S. Challenge
Mar 20, 2024

Hint: You don't need the fire boots, but they could help later on.
the remix on things falling apart has a beat that goes harder

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Chip S. Challenge posted:

the remix on things falling apart has a beat that goes harder

Hell yeah it does

I had no idea what remix albums were but I remember finding Things Fall Apart in the FYE at some point after I bough The Fragile and I was like "sweet, new NIN music"

I think I even somehow had Further Down the Spiral before I got an actual copy of TDS

that was weird.

It was hard times in those pre-internet days, at the mercy of what a single shop decided to stock.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Vegastar posted:

Lights in the Sky was my first NIN concert and still my favorite concert experience ever, Trent was so ahead of everyone else working with The Moment Factory to create so many cool, creative effects and graphics. On top of playing incredible music with the passion and intensity NIN is known for. Nothing else has ever been that incredible.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Double albums always have an uphill battle critically. Even The Beatles didn't quite get away with it. Though in time, the ones that are pulled off well eventually get legendary status.

It's also really hard to follow up something as singular, focused, and experimental as TDS. There are some surface-level sonic similarities on TF, but overall he was doing something extremely different, which was a smart move. Because basically you don't follow up TDS. You kind of have to start from scratch. He wisely used his bigger budget while he had the freedom to, but he was also pretty much guaranteed to "fail" on some level.

In terms of a "perfect", "no fat" album, TDS wins. TF definitely is not that. But it's equally necessary and succeeds in a whole different way.

I think Trent said in an interview once that in retrospect he wishes he'd released The Fragile in a similar manner to how Radiohead handled Kid A & Amnesiac? I sometimes wonder if he'd gone that route he might have been able to put out three albums in a row given how much material he had. He did also say that at the time he thought everyone hated it though, so maybe he might have only put out one disc and left the rest unreleased.

I'd also argue that The Fragile is equal in terms of having no fat but with the caveat of switching some of the tracks. The left disc is close to perfect, imo, and the right is where I'd bring back some missing (from the CD release) tracks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SUNKOS posted:

I'd also argue that The Fragile is equal in terms of having no fat but with the caveat of switching some of the tracks. The left disc is close to perfect, imo, and the right is where I'd bring back some missing (from the CD release) tracks.

There aren't any songs I'd cut (well except... you know) but the songs also aren't quite as tight internally. You could definitely cut a repetition here and there.

But fat isn't always bad!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
As a Freshman in high school I wasn't exactly paying attention to music critics but I do remember the impression that The Fragile was well reviewed and then for as much as we paid attention we heard it went Double Platinum which sounds really good, and everyone in my circle loved it. So to find out later it was seen as a flop (and that double albums are double counted since there are two discs so double platinum only meant a million sales) was kind of shocking. Obviously it wasn't as big as the dang Backstreet Boys but it sure felt big at the time in that little world.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

There aren't any songs I'd cut (well except... you know)

I do not and now I am curious :allears: The assumption is Starfuckers since I remember a lot of people disliking that but I think embarrassing lyrics aside it's a banger and a fun evolution of the style explored with Perfect Drug, albeit not as ambitious. At the same time however I also think Deep is a good song as well :haw:

Can't believe 10 Miles High didn't make the CD version however, every song is great imo but if something had to go to not exceed runtime I'm surprised something else wasn't removed instead. Then again 10 Miles High sounds much more like a track for the left disc than the right and sequencing that album must have been insanely difficult, not surprised Bob Ezrin was brought in to try and arrange everything as the deadline approached and Trent was still recording and mixing :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Starfuckers is a good track :colbert: I've had the instrumental of it as an alarm on my phone for several years and I've never gotten tired of hearing it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You can't convince me Starfuckers is not a drat near beat for beat love letter to "Hallo Spaceboy"
It's the only way you can explain Trent going all drum and bass outta nowhere

or maybe he accidentally lifted it like Crystal Japan but either way the shared Bowie DNA all across the album just makes me love it all the more, especially since I came to Bowie well after I got into Nine Inch Nails

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rageaholic posted:

Starfuckers is a good track :colbert: I've had the instrumental of it as an alarm on my phone for several years and I've never gotten tired of hearing it.

I am impressed you have that as an alarm and you still like the song vs it startling you every time you hear it.

Starfuckers is a fun song I love Trent's dumb high energy songs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I feel like you could do a lot of fun classifications for NIN tunes:
- powerful instrumental
- NOISE!
- disco time
- straight up pop
- sad boi wailers
- breakbeat insanity
Etc

(All of those rule I’m not making fun!!)

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I like Starfuckers but I don't think it "belongs" on The Fragile in the same way I wouldn't put The Perfect Drug or Deep on there either.

I know The Fragile underwent a million tracklist changes. I don't think there's anywhere Reznor catalogued them, is there? I definitely remember him saying there was a one-disc version and I'd really be interested to see what made that cut. Personally I'd just take the Left side and add Please and The Big Come Down somewhere in the middle and call it good, dunno if I'd have to pull anything out to make those two fit, I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

I like Starfuckers but I don't think it "belongs" on The Fragile in the same way I wouldn't put The Perfect Drug or Deep on there either.

I know The Fragile underwent a million tracklist changes. I don't think there's anywhere Reznor catalogued them, is there? I definitely remember him saying there was a one-disc version and I'd really be interested to see what made that cut. Personally I'd just take the Left side and add Please and The Big Come Down somewhere in the middle and call it good, dunno if I'd have to pull anything out to make those two fit, I don't think so.

Try so hard to make the pieces all fit