Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The irony's gotten so thick I can't tell if people are just saying dumb things or are shitposting at a power level I haven't reached

edit: :doh: great, what a page topper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sentinel Red posted:

Jinkies, every time one of you muppets goes on a "KitTy Is A rAcIST!!!!" tear, I fear my eyes may snap tendons from rolling so hard. A writer 30 years ago tried to make a well meaning but very ham-handed point about dehumanising terms a couple of times. That's it. It's not like the character subsequently spent every issue since running around hurling insults at everyone she sees but y'all gotta run this poo poo into the ground because [goons].

I don't actually think she's racist, it's just funny to me that she's the only character I can think of that's used that word twice.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Literally, MEANWHILE

(This might be my favorite panel of all time)

IIRC Kate's dad dies in Genosha in the comics and they use that to pull her back in during Morrison's run so there was an opportunity here. Just treat it like she left before Jubes arrived and I think she'd slot in fine.

I feel like I'm missing something because she was the lead of the Maurauders right? Which was a pretty good series as far as I read.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What’s Kitty’s position on Palestine?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shageletic posted:

I feel like I'm missing something because she was the lead of the Maurauders right? Which was a pretty good series as far as I read.

I dunno what you're confused about, unless it's a joke about me calling her Kate?

Yeah in the recent Krakoa-era she was on a team called Marauders which is already confusing because it has nothing to do with the Sinister-led evil Marauders team from back in the day.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

ruddiger posted:

What’s Kitty’s position on Palestine?

I'm pretty sure she's close friends with Michael Rappaport. They used to date.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NmareBfly posted:

I dunno what you're confused about, unless it's a joke about me calling her Kate?

Yeah in the recent Krakoa-era she was on a team called Marauders which is already confusing because it has nothing to do with the Sinister-led evil Marauders team from back in the day.

Especially since the Sinister led Marauders got their own book a few months later.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Especially since the Sinister led Marauders got their own book a few months later.

That was just Greycrow really, but the Hellions did have to deal with the Marauders.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joe Fisto posted:

I'm pretty sure she's close friends with Michael Rappaport. They used to date.

Did they? His first name isn't Peter?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

michael rappapete

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

No I'm talking about Kate/Kitty being missing from recent xmen comics but it seems that I kinda misunderstood the convo, so yes, I did miss something

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shageletic posted:

No I'm talking about Kate/Kitty being missing from recent xmen comics but it seems that I kinda misunderstood the convo, so yes, I did miss something

Ah yeah the main gap people are talking about is from back in the day. When the original X-Men cartoon that '97 is a continuation of came out, Kate wasn't a main line X-Person and had been on a different weirder team (Excalibur) for a while, with her role basically being supplanted by Jubilee.

At one point after that she was engaged to Star Lord, if someone started reading Guardians of the Galaxy when the movie came out I think she was hanging out with them at that point?

Recent era stuff she decided to go by Kate instead of Kitty but I'm a couple years behind now so if she's AWOL now or just out there being fabulous platonic partners with Emma I dunno.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

NmareBfly posted:

Recent era stuff she decided to go by Kate instead of Kitty but I'm a couple years behind now so if she's AWOL now or just out there being fabulous platonic partners with Emma I dunno.

Every few years she gets stuck in a giant bullet. Its the weirdest thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

The irony's gotten so thick I can't tell if people are just saying dumb things or are shitposting at a power level I haven't reached

I definitely don't forgive Kramer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NmareBfly posted:

Kind of a vengeful ninja ATM, really.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Sentinel Red posted:

Jinkies, every time one of you muppets goes on a "KitTy Is A rAcIST!!!!" tear, I fear my eyes may snap tendons from rolling so hard. A writer 30 years ago tried to make a well meaning but very ham-handed point about dehumanising terms a couple of times. That's it. It's not like the character subsequently spent every issue since running around hurling insults at everyone she sees but y'all gotta run this poo poo into the ground because [goons].

I've been working on an "Old Woman Pryde" script. Basically I just took the first half of Gran Torino and did a find-replace on the name.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Will X-Men 97 be brave enough to have Kate say the n word or will they capitulate to the wokes

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Sentinel Red posted:

The reason it's a fun joke to make is because it's got a grain of truth to it. Is Kitty racist in the sense that say, Hate-Monger is? No. Is Kitty the kind of self-righteous and temperamental that she would say some poo poo like that and then be "WHAT?!" if anyone short of Storm told her off? I believe she is. She's a middle class suburban girl from the mid-west, who's arguably had the strongest case of main character syndrome outside of any character other than Magneto (because she arguably was the main character of her run with the main team, as well as being the original case of "I WAS A REAL X-MEN YKNOW" during her dalliances with the New Mutants)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

TwoPair posted:

That's my secret TwoPair, I'm always shitposting

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm glad Kitty is now canon racist and gay, like Claremont intended.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Kitty would 110% be a zionist

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Aphrodite posted:

I'm glad Kitty is now canon racist and gay, like Claremont intended.

People might not like it, but that's what representation means.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why doesn't anything about Kitty's personality stick for very long?

She's always going through a phase!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
At this point does anyone even care about context for anything Kitty does?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Non-Xmen related question, was the DCAU the source of the modern tendency for Darkseid and the rest of Apokolips to be treated as a specifically anti-Superman opponent? I was just thinking because there's a parademon in the trailer for the new season of My Adventures With Superman.

I know that he tangled with Darkseid to greater and lesser degrees in the comics beforehand but increasingly media (think the DCAMU and the Snyderverse) has put more and more focus on Darkseid as an opponent of Supes and the rest of the Justice League while New Genesis is increasingly side-lined, I think NG wasn't even mentioned at all in the Justice League movie, in both cuts?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Madkal posted:

At this point does anyone even care about context for anything Kitty does?

Not as long as it contunues to be a funny tangent

Kitty prefers Drake over Kendrick, FYI

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

khwarezm posted:

Non-Xmen related question, was the DCAU the source of the modern tendency for Darkseid and the rest of Apokolips to be treated as a specifically anti-Superman opponent? I was just thinking because there's a parademon in the trailer for the new season of My Adventures With Superman.

I know that he tangled with Darkseid to greater and lesser degrees in the comics beforehand but increasingly media (think the DCAMU and the Snyderverse) has put more and more focus on Darkseid as an opponent of Supes and the rest of the Justice League while New Genesis is increasingly side-lined, I think NG wasn't even mentioned at all in the Justice League movie, in both cuts?

I don't know for sure but I've always seen it as Darkseid being the top shelf DC threat and Superman being, well, Superman. You gonna have him fight Mongul when Darkseid is right there? Come on!

It doesn't help that (and this is being generous) apart from Orion and Mr. Miracle+Barda, no one really cares about the protagonist side of 4th World

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Is a character racist if they're being written by a different writer?

Like they should either have her just be racist or kill her and bring in an alternate timeline Kitty who didn't use the N-word.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So uh...X-Men 97 did a ton of world building this episode.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't know for sure but I've always seen it as Darkseid being the top shelf DC threat and Superman being, well, Superman. You gonna have him fight Mongul when Darkseid is right there? Come on!

It doesn't help that (and this is being generous) apart from Orion and Mr. Miracle+Barda, no one really cares about the protagonist side of 4th World

I'll admit I'm not well up on the actual comics but my understanding is that Darkseid was the opponent of New Genesis and the various heroes there like Highfather and Orion, he didn't really have anything to do with Superman and the rest of Earth much beforehand outside of his capacity as an evil alien overlord who's conquests and machinations will inevitably involve Earth. Its like the way you might have the Joker involved in this or that story where he opposes Superman but he could hardly be described as a Superman villain.

I just find it a little bit sad how the entire Fourth World mythos as dreamed up by Jack Kirby as being this celestial, millennia running conflict between diametrically opposed by fundamentally linked New Gods has atrophied away over time because people don't really care about New Genesis, but absolutely do care about Apokolips and Darkseid, so the latter increasingly gets tweaked into the big baddie for the Justice League with a specific rivalry with Superman. I mean at least the DCAU did keep the New Genesis stuff intact even if it got the ball rolling on this tendency.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I mean Darkseid did start out as a Jimmy Olsen villain

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Is a character racist if they're being written by a different writer?

Like they should either have her just be racist or kill her and bring in an alternate timeline Kitty who didn't use the N-word.

That's why Jean dies so often, to erase all the times she insults Mexicans.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Joe Fisto posted:

Kitty prefers Drake over Kendrick, FYI

I know right? I saw her twitter post, as if anyone is looking to her for hip hop commentary.

Come on Kitty, we all know why you picked the the non-threatening light skinned Jewish kid from Degrassi who makes danceable club hits, quit acting like you got opinions.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I know right? I saw her twitter post, as if anyone is looking to her for hip hop commentary.

Come on Kitty, we all know why you picked the the non-threatening light skinned Jewish kid from Degrassi who makes danceable club hits, quit acting like you got opinions.

It's just so transparent. Trying to get street cred with the least threating rapper out there. She and Drake love a problematic age gap as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This derail is somehow getting even dumber. Who would have thought it possible?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

OnimaruXLR posted:

This is Forager erasure and I won't stand for it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

X-O posted:

This derail is somehow getting even dumber. Who would have thought it possible?

Literally everyone?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If they do a "Xavier becomes a full on school with lots of students" like I hope, they could have come on the show as a teacher.

Also she was red queen of the hellfire club last time I saw her, and dressed like a lesbisn pirate.

I like how people are still confused on how these mutants show up, when it's always morph.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How does a lesbian pirate dress differently than a straight female pirate? Like did she eschew the normal tricorner hat in favour of wearing a Carhartt beanie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Lobok posted:

How does a lesbian pirate dress differently than a straight female pirate? Like did she eschew the normal tricorner hat in favour of wearing a Carhartt beanie?

I think a lot of lesbians are wearing carabiners on their outfits these days. So probably one of those.