Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If you :thunk: about it all forums are politics forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd vote Awful.apk for Congress.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
In threads I often click on images and do Display Image a lot so I can zoom into the tweet screenshots with tiny text. It works okay, but it seems to always redownload the image. Why is it doing this? The image was downloaded for display in the thread view so why does the app download it again?

I probably wouldn't notice but for some drat reason about 10% of the time when I use Display Image it doesn't actually load the image, or it takes many seconds for it to happen.

Maybe I have it all wrong. But if it is downloading the image again then maybe some "simple" optimization could be done.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

astral posted:

Don't know about app features, but I saw this post so I hid the politics forums for you on the forums themselves; please contact a forum admin if you ever change your mind.

This is super rad. Thank you so much. I don't suppose you could also hide the gbs trump lol thread?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If someone is going to have a look at that, they can maybe also have a look at why Display Image renders a lower resolution image than what any given imgur link is actually pointing at. Most of my zooming I'll do for reading text in comics posted here and it's a shame this built-in function is barely useful for that. Open the link in an external app and the full resolution image shows up no problem. Looking at the links, this is not about people using the imgur thumbnail function of appending a size letter.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Flipperwaldt posted:

If someone is going to have a look at that, they can maybe also have a look at why Display Image renders a lower resolution image than what any given imgur link is actually pointing at. Most of my zooming I'll do for reading text in comics posted here and it's a shame this built-in function is barely useful for that. Open the link in an external app and the full resolution image shows up no problem. Looking at the links, this is not about people using the imgur thumbnail function of appending a size letter.

Yeah, I have the same issue reading large and/or text-heavy comics in particular, and I've been hoping there'd be some way to fix that. It takes away the ease of following along something someone else is making the effort to post if I have to download each image and read them outside the app.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I remember this exact same issue coming up a while (years?) ago.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

This is super rad. Thank you so much. I don't suppose you could also hide the gbs trump lol thread?

You're welcome. We don't have thread-hiding tech on the forums, and if you were on a desktop I'd say you could use a custom user stylesheet, but that's not really an option with the apps.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's called the Awful app despite the fact that it is a wonderful app. Curious.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My advice would be to bookmark the threads you feel are safe for your brain, and then use the bookmarks view instead of browsing the forums generally. You can periodically scan the forums for new threads to bookmark. This will limit your exposure to the bad poo poo you have trouble not looking at.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah this is pretty infuriating. Here's an example that got me recently

Display image -> zoom in as far as possible

This problem seems to be recent because I used Display Image consistently for a certain weekly comic in the politoons thread, and I'm fairly sure it worked fine around Christmas time or January or so.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Microplastics posted:

This problem seems to be recent because I used Display Image consistently for a certain weekly comic in the politoons thread, and I'm fairly sure it worked fine around Christmas time or January or so.
Nah, I had the apps to work around this installed on my old phone more than two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

First of all, thanks Astral

As far as the display image function is concerned, it has always been this way. I think I looked into this once and the issue is basically that the image is loaded to fit the screen and then you can zoom on it. But zooming doesn't zoom on the image but on the loaded version. Something like that. I think the solution was to replace the whole thing with something else.

As far as why it needs to reload the image, threads specifically (as well as PMS) are basically a browser inside the app, and it's difficult to get things other than text in and out. So it's far easier to get the image url and load the image than to get the image from the in-app browser/web view and zoom on that.

Maybe a solution would be to just do the zooming in the web view in the first place.