Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Enos Cabell posted:

Got a new stand for the 10g I'm taking out to work. Might try adding some shrimp later on, but I'm digging the solo betta for now.

Nice pair of assistants you got for your tank there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AtomikKrab posted:

Nice pair of assistants you got for your tank there.

Yeah, we're dog-sitting our parents 20-year-old Westie, and my cat Mei decided to match his energy. They were VERY helpful

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
who wants to see my hairy mushroom??!?

https://i.imgur.com/ua6jdh2.mp4

the whole piece, the rock, the zoas, the hairy mushroom about 3 inches diameter when fully extended and the leather coral behind it was $100.

The leather is loving pissed cause my powerhead fell down and it was blowing right on it for like 2 hours before i noticed.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So a few weeks ago I notice a few of my cory cats were suffering from barbel erosion. I moved them into a QT and started treatment. Earlier today, I noticed one of them laying on his side. I know corys are known to "play dead" so I reached in, but no reaction when I touched her and picked her up and took her out of the water to get a better look. Pretty rigid body, not reactions or movement at all. On my way out the door so I put her back in the tank. 4 hours later, get home and get the shovel to bury her in the garden and all cory cats in the tank are alive and well......:iiam:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I just bought a group of 6 Hara filamentosa.

They look like tiny little Goonch cats.

All the online info is all over the place. Are they solitary? do they like groups? 2" or 4"?

I know my water should be good for them and I have ways of thinning the herd if need be.

https://aquaticarts.com/products/ha...%2F17%2F2024%29

wish me luck lol

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

The info I’ve seen for Hara jerdoni says they like being in groups so it’s probably also true for your haras. They look pretty cute!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Those are super cool. They look like little wobbegong sharks.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I basically abandoned this thread once I stopped buying new stock and have just been doing my 6 month water change and 18 month filter cleaning.

I'm just super excited about this whole new catfish deal. I've been looking for cats that work in both size and my water since my Brachyrhamdia sp. Bolivia died from some seriously aggressive cancer.

There are a million catfish smaller and a million bigger all easily to find and get.

FINALLY something interesting pops up.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I forgot all about the water changes that happen post-order, when the order is shipped, when it arrives, and then all the acclimation/WC

5g bucket is 40lb lol

getting new fish is fun

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
We have a 20g that was been running along reasonably well for about a year now. Residents include cherry barbs, panda corys, a couple otos, and some Amano shrimp.

We have never tried to breed anything, but last year a cherry barb fry made it, bringing them to 10. More recently, we saw that somehow a panda cory fry actually survived. :3:

It’s starting to come out of hiding more. Here it’s noodling around while the others stare at it.

It’s grown enough that it basically is a pint-size version of the adults.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Aquappnic experiment update:
Pond mint is kicking rear end, and the tomato cuttings I tried have started to root.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ56HMdJSdc

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 22, 2024

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Added some shrimp to an established nano tank. Already thinking of setting up another dedicated shrimp tank.

I'm a shrimp guy now I guess.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Griffball posted:

Added some shrimp to an established nano tank. Already thinking of setting up another dedicated shrimp tank.

Sometimes I think i'm done with shrimp cause I can't seem to keep them alive and sometimes a rando wild type neo shows up in my tank. I suspect there may be a colony in the canister filter.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I added daphnia to my shrimp tank and that was the wisest decision i've made in a long time

I just net them out once a week and boom instant protien shake for every fish I own

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yesterday there was a turtle sunning on the road leading to the apartment complex. So I stopped the car to shoo him towards the grass. I basically saved the lil guy's life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYb6-mgMeFs

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
ugh. so My friend decided to get her 5-year-old a beta for her birthday. okay, not entirely a horrible idea as long as my friend the adult is in charge of cleaning and feeding. So they get a little 2 gallon tank, and a black betta which I told her was a bad idea, mostly because if the fish dies and she wants to replace it without letting the kid know, and that's an ethics question for another time. but a black betta is a lot harder to find than a blue or red one. But whatever.

they've had the fish for about 2 weeks, and just had a bacterial bloom, and when I asked her how many times they feed the fish a day, she said two, and sometimes he gets a treat as well because he loves mysis shrimp. explaining to her that no, you feed the fish once a day, it doesn't matter how much he begs, his stomach is tiny, oh no, her kid loves to feed the betta, and wants to feed him a treat everyday, but if he gets a treat and he doesn't get pellets. as in multiple pellets per meal. I think I might have solved the mystery of how she has a bacteria bloom and the water is very milky, and the kid is freaking out because she doesn't want the betta to die. But don't listen to me, I only have 20 years experience with fish, go ahead and listen to the dude at the pet store who probably gets paid a minimum wage, and told you it's totally fine to feed the betta two times a day if you want.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The idea parents have of getting a kid a pet in order to teach them responsibility is a good one, but they can't lean poo poo if the parent also is an irresponsible idiot.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

The idea parents have of getting a kid a pet in order to teach them responsibility is a good one, but they can't lean poo poo if the parent also is an irresponsible idiot.

The only thing I can say is as least it's better than a goldfish.

It just annoys the hell out of me because she knows I know what I'm talking about in this instance, but what her kiddo wants for the aquarium is more important than what's good for the fish. of course it has to have purple gravel, and has to have all these little ornaments so it's probably more like a half gallon of water that this fish is swimming in, has no live plants, and being fed so much, I get the feeling this fish is going to have a lot of issues before it has any less.

I got both my niece and nephew bettas when they were younger, but I took care of the fish, and the only time they ever fed the fish is when I was there. I was there everyday Monday through Friday at least, but their parents were both very smart in the fact that they never ever let the kids feed the fish or fed the fish themselves, always told them to wait for Aunt Cowslips to come over.

edit: I did explain to her why feeding the fish two or three times a day is way too much food, and she insisted that the fish is hungry all the time and keeps flaring up and wanting their attention. So I explained again that fish will do this, much like a dog or a cat will act super excited and render their food bowl, it doesn't mean you feed them every single time. we'll see how long this lasts. a horrible part of me is thinking I should put a countdown on how long this fish survives because they're also planning to go on vacation this summer.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 23, 2024

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I am 100% on board with "starter fish" that are expected to die, they go great with my "starter kids." They both live in tiny boxes and eat pellets,

For real I feed like once or twice a week and everything just grazes on the plants and algae and microfauna in between. Powerfeeding just leads to issues, low and slow like a nice pork loin.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Baronjutter posted:

It’s not a good idea unless there’s a responsible adult with whom the proverbial buck stops at all times, otherwise you end up with a neglected & starving animal because children don’t have fully formed brains and fundamentally cannot and should not be entrusted with the wellbeing of an animal.

The idea of sacrificing an animal’s survival and quality of life on the altar of teaching kids work ethic where “if they die they die” is cruel and wrongheaded at best.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I shouldn't be surprised she is fine with the overfeeding cause "her baby" loves the fish soooo much she has to feed it all the time.

I told her to water change like 10-20% a week. She wants to do a full tank cleaning cause it's so milky in there with a bacteria bloom. And then maybe 30% a month after that.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Griffball posted:

Those little guys are addicting. I'm considering a third (and second shrimp-only) tank.

Speaking of which. Does anyone have any tips on moving a standard ten gallon? With the end of the school year coming up I need to move it out of my classroom and home for the summer. My plan is to drain most of the water into a five gallon bucket and catch out as many shrimp as I can for bucket transport. I'd then drain most of the rest of the water out hopefully making the tank light enough to transport without breaking.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

It is however, very tempting to just buy a third tank and just move all the shrimp over for the summer. :hehe:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

These are beautiful OMG

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/RGLie1T.mp4

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Prof. Banks posted:

Those little guys are addicting. I'm considering a third (and second shrimp-only) tank.

Speaking of which. Does anyone have any tips on moving a standard ten gallon? With the end of the school year coming up I need to move it out of my classroom and home for the summer. My plan is to drain most of the water into a five gallon bucket and catch out as many shrimp as I can for bucket transport. I'd then drain most of the rest of the water out hopefully making the tank light enough to transport without breaking.

Two five gallon buckets, with lids. Move water, livestock, rocks etc into buckets. Transport. Set back up.

Have another bucket of water or two ready to go at the destination (I'm mostly salt, if you're fw tap water might be fine)

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Give the shrimp something (like moss) to hold on to during transport and put anything movable or heavy in the other bucket, if your tank is planted you can still drain the water but keep the plants moist with wet paper towel and cling film over the tank to maintain humidity. You probably don’t need to break the tank right down, you just want to be able to move it safely without risk of something moving and making it crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Any livestock you can catch goes into 5g bucket #1 which has been prefilled with tank water. Then you toss all the plants you can in there.

5g bucket #2 gets substrate/rocks/wood and then tank water.

Filter media depends so use your best judgement. A sponge is fine in bucket one, a giant bag of ceramic is not?

If you can space out catching the stock and pulling the plants and removing the substrate to let things clear up you'll have better luck catching more stuff.