Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lockback posted:

We're going off topic but I'm considering moving from a 8T to a pixel 8. Good move? I don't want a phone as big as the 12R.

I had a pixel... 3? And then upgraded to the pixel 6. It was way too big, immediately returned it and downgraded to a new old stock pixel 5 as it was the newest reasonably sized phone Google sold

Turns out the pixel 8 is only like max ~1mm larger in any dimension than the 5. The battery is starting to crap out on my heavily used pixel 5, probably going to get the 8 soon

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Google-Pixel-6,Google-Pixel-8,Google-Pixel-5/phones/11732,12143,11394

Edit I guess it's 5mm taller

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I got a new laptop a few weeks ago, a Lenovo LOQ. Good specs overall, it's on a RTX 4060 and unlike my old Acer Predator I could do stuff simultaneously on my laptop monitor and desktop monitor without things stuttering.

The problem is that I get this weird "frozen inputs" effect every now and then when playing Steam games. Specifically Helldivers 2, Tekken 8, and Element TD2 (lol). I basically lose all input, mouse & both keyboards (even though the Fn key combinations work like toggle touchpad, I can't actually use the touchpad), yet whatever game/app I'm on will keep running. Often the key I was last pressing will get stuck on the app (like my helldiver would just keep moving forward because I was pressing the W key and it froze inputs) and there's no way to get unstuck except to hard reset. I swear I even got it while running Firefox and just skipping through a video. I'd post this on the tech support forum but I just wanna know if this is a known Lenovo issue?

Googling around it seems like a general Windows 11 thing even (my Acer Predator was on W10 and never had such problems). I did a memtest and it was fine. Perhaps I should just reinstall Nvidia drivers or something? Or attempt to run my crashing games without another monitor. is there a way to test VRAM like standard RAM tests do? Anyway I'll probably turn this post into its own thread later.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

is it an overlay issue or did they finally fix that poo poo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The Lenovo LOQ is significantly different than the other Lenovo lines, it's the lowest end and uses signficantly different parts. So I don't know if you'll find "common" solutions as your is not a common model line.

That said, if its ONLY happening in steam, I'd guess steam overlay is the most likely culprit so it should be disabled, followed by updating mainboard/keyboard drivers off lenovo's website. Probably worth doing both of those first.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lockback posted:

The Lenovo LOQ is significantly different than the other Lenovo lines, it's the lowest end and uses signficantly different parts. So I don't know if you'll find "common" solutions as your is not a common model line.

That said, if its ONLY happening in steam, I'd guess steam overlay is the most likely culprit so it should be disabled, followed by updating mainboard/keyboard drivers off lenovo's website. Probably worth doing both of those first.

This, try disabling the controller input overlay in one of the problematic games and see if that fixes anything

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hmm, I haven't turned on the Steam overlay in years.. But I'll check if the manufacturer has updated drivers (been using Lenovo Vantage to update and it says I'm good).

lol the salesperson told me LOQ is the new gaming line they have that sits just below Legion... I was going to get a Legion laptop but it was a little on the higher end of my budget...

One thing that might be possible is the SSD? since these games I have are on my secondary SSD, while FFXIV is on my primary and has never given me a similar problem (I sure hope not, I raid ultimates aaaah)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lily Catts posted:

lol the salesperson told me LOQ is the new gaming line they have that sits just below Legion... I was going to get a Legion laptop but it was a little on the higher end of my budget...
It's true! Lenovo had one line of explicitly gaming oriented laptops and now they have two. On that list, LOQ is just below Legion.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah the LOQ is the entry-level tier like the HP Victus, Acer Nitro, or ASUS Tuf line. Fine, just fat

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

change my name posted:

Fine, just fat

dont doxx meeee

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Worf posted:

dont doxx meeee

I'm sorry buddy but if you're posting here you're not fine

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Has anyone here downsized from a full gaming PC to a laptop? How do you feel about it? I'm interviewing for a new job that would require I actually go into the office from time to time so selling my desktop and switching to a 2024 Asus G16 seems like the way to go if I don't want to have to switch systems

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I do not recommend using the same machine for your job and your play.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kibner posted:

I do not recommend using the same machine for your job and your play.

I already do, though

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well, loving stop then. You're not a college intern anymore

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'd keep the gaming rig and just get a super cheap laptop to take to work. It would get all day battery life, probably, and be thin and quiet. The only reason I have a gaming laptop is because I don't have the space or budget to build the desktop I want. Plus playing games while laying in bed is nice. You can get some perfectly functuonal machines for right around the 500 dollar mark. Maybe even less.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'd keep the gaming rig and just get a super cheap laptop to take to work. It would get all day battery life, probably, and be thin and quiet. The only reason I have a gaming laptop is because I don't have the space or budget to build the desktop I want. Plus playing games while laying in bed is nice. You can get some perfectly functuonal machines for right around the 500 dollar mark. Maybe even less.

You can also use Sunshine to stream from your desktop to your laptop, steam deck, or whatever else, really.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

change my name posted:

Has anyone here downsized from a full gaming PC to a laptop? How do you feel about it? I'm interviewing for a new job that would require I actually go into the office from time to time so selling my desktop and switching to a 2024 Asus G16 seems like the way to go if I don't want to have to switch systems

What GPU do you use now? Its almost certain you are going to take a big step down in raw horsepower. But if all you do is play Stardew Valley then it's not a big deal.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lockback posted:

What GPU do you use now? Its almost certain you are going to take a big step down in raw horsepower. But if all you do is play Stardew Valley then it's not a big deal.

Once I return the GPU I'm borrowing from the office, a 3080 (and I mainly game at 1440p). I might just go the cheap HP productivity laptop route

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So you'd need a laptop 4080 to get a 3080 performance, so you're looking at $2000+, something like this:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-pro-series/legion-pro-7-gen-8-16-inch-amd/82ws003jus

Which isn't a bad deal, honestly. A 4070 is a pretty big step down, you'll see about 25% lower performance than a desktop 3080. If thats ok then there's a lot of decent deals on a 4070, ~$1,400 or so. Or step down to 4060 for ~$1000.

Depending on your games and what res it might be a ok deal or not, but I suspect you'll prefer something easier for work and a better desktop.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
The only way I would consider using the same laptop for both work and personal gaming is if I needed to use something like solidworks for my job and had a mobile workstation with an RTX 5000 Ada or similar. Even then, I would dual boot and have the volumes encrypted and hidden from each other.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

buffbus posted:

The only way I would consider using the same laptop for both work and personal gaming is if I needed to use something like solidworks for my job and had a mobile workstation with an RTX 5000 Ada or similar. Even then, I would dual boot and have the volumes encrypted and hidden from each other.

Strong agree

That was the wildest thing I've read posted by a grown rear end adult in this thread, probably ever

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey Goons. I recently got an ASUS TUF gaming laptop with a Ryzen and 4070 (this model: https://www.greengreenstore.co.uk/p...M4aAsPhEALw_wcB)

It came with one 512GB SSD and a slot for another. I am not too up-to-date on SSDs; what kind can I purchase for the second slot? And if I do, should I get one of equal size to the first SSD or would I be fine getting a larger one? Apologies for stupid question, but looking at my options on amazon I became aware I had zero idea what I was looking for.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Calico Heart posted:

Hey Goons. I recently got an ASUS TUF gaming laptop with a Ryzen and 4070 (this model: https://www.greengreenstore.co.uk/p...M4aAsPhEALw_wcB)

It came with one 512GB SSD and a slot for another. I am not too up-to-date on SSDs; what kind can I purchase for the second slot? And if I do, should I get one of equal size to the first SSD or would I be fine getting a larger one? Apologies for stupid question, but looking at my options on amazon I became aware I had zero idea what I was looking for.
You'll want a NVMe SSD that goes in an M.2 slot. It looks like a PCB with chips on it, kind of like ram but with the connector on the end instead of the side. You can get whatever size SSD you want, really, but 1 or 2 TB is probably a good purchase if you just need more room. That CPU supports PCIe 4.0 so I'd probably aim for that (nvme drives go on the PCIe bus). Sometimes they are called Gen4 in marketing. There's a lot of PCIe 3 / Gen 3 drives and some PCIe 5.0 / Gen 5 drives well and those will work fine in the same slot, but the Gen3 is slower, and the Gen5 is going to be slowed down a bit (and costs more for no benefit).

There's a few good brands, I mostly stick to Crucial, WD, or Samsung myself. It doesn't guarantee you won't have an issue with a disk but going with a large manufacturer means warranty is easier if you have problems (remember always back up anything you want to keep).
I'd probably look for a WD Black SN770, WD Black SN850x (little faster, costs more), Crucial P3 Plus, Crucial T500 (little faster, costs more), Samsung 980 Pro, Samsung 990 Pro, etc. Something along those lines. You can always ask before you buy one if you find one you think you want in here or in the PC Parts picking thread or in the SSD thread.

Another option would be to image your current SSD to a larger one and use it as the main disk but due to M.2 drives being a little diassembly-reassembly required, that may be more than you want to do.

This may be a slightly older model than yours but it's likely to be laid out similarly if you want to see a guy put in a NVMe drive in an ASUS TUF A15:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-cZhX6I6lY

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Highly recommend adding a 1+TB drive if your machine has the room. Hardest part with my Asus was prying off the bottom panel. Mine has some RGB wiring that I had to be mindful of, but actually putting in the drive is trivially easy. I think I had to search in Windows for the Disk Manager or whatever it's called and format the drive for use. Took a few minutes tops.

I use my second drive solely for games because games are freakin huge these days holy gently caress.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hadlock posted:

Strong agree

That was the wildest thing I've read posted by a grown rear end adult in this thread, probably ever

You know most people in media only use one device for everything, right? Most of my friends work and game on the same PC, corporate VPNs exist for a reason

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I have a couple games on my work laptop for killing some time on a plane or when I work from my cabin and don't bother bringing my personal laptop. I mean I wouldn't suggest just using 1 device for both full time I guess but man get out more if that qualifies as wild.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Rexxed posted:

You'll want a NVMe SSD that goes in an M.2 slot. It looks like a PCB with chips on it, kind of like ram but with the connector on the end instead of the side. You can get whatever size SSD you want, really, but 1 or 2 TB is probably a good purchase if you just need more room. That CPU supports PCIe 4.0 so I'd probably aim for that (nvme drives go on the PCIe bus). Sometimes they are called Gen4 in marketing. There's a lot of PCIe 3 / Gen 3 drives and some PCIe 5.0 / Gen 5 drives well and those will work fine in the same slot, but the Gen3 is slower, and the Gen5 is going to be slowed down a bit (and costs more for no benefit).

There's a few good brands, I mostly stick to Crucial, WD, or Samsung myself. It doesn't guarantee you won't have an issue with a disk but going with a large manufacturer means warranty is easier if you have problems (remember always back up anything you want to keep).
I'd probably look for a WD Black SN770, WD Black SN850x (little faster, costs more), Crucial P3 Plus, Crucial T500 (little faster, costs more), Samsung 980 Pro, Samsung 990 Pro, etc. Something along those lines. You can always ask before you buy one if you find one you think you want in here or in the PC Parts picking thread or in the SSD thread.

Another option would be to image your current SSD to a larger one and use it as the main disk but due to M.2 drives being a little diassembly-reassembly required, that may be more than you want to do.

This may be a slightly older model than yours but it's likely to be laid out similarly if you want to see a guy put in a NVMe drive in an ASUS TUF A15:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-cZhX6I6lY

Thanks so much! By that criteria I think this would be a fitting purchase:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-In...ps%2C133&sr=8-5

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

change my name posted:

You know most people in media only use one device for everything, right? Most of my friends work and game on the same PC, corporate VPNs exist for a reason

It’s more I don’t want the corporate monitoring and anti malware software on my personal machine.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

Thanks so much! By that criteria I think this would be a fitting purchase:

Looks like a pretty solid drive. Good power efficiency and still has DRAM cache.

There's an SSD thread around here somewhere, they'd probably know if there were any major drawbacks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kibner posted:

It’s more I don’t want the corporate monitoring and anti malware software on my personal machine.

Strong agree

Not to mention if your machine gets compromised for any reason and there's a breach of data you're instantly fired

My work stuff lives on my work laptop, if it gets compromised that's my works problem because there's nothing unauthorized on there

Having this conversation just reminds me of living in 2004 and why there's constant customer data being leaked all over the Internet because people want to game on their work computer

Just because your peers do irresponsible poo poo doesn't give you the right to

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Strong agree

Not to mention if your machine gets compromised for any reason and there's a breach of data you're instantly fired

My work stuff lives on my work laptop, if it gets compromised that's my works problem because there's nothing unauthorized on there

Having this conversation just reminds me of living in 2004 and why there's constant customer data being leaked all over the Internet because people want to game on their work computer

Just because your peers do irresponsible poo poo doesn't give you the right to

A competent business would lock down company computers so people can't install/run their own poo poo on them. I would've said "competent IT department," but I'm sure there are plenty of companies where execs want to be able to install personal stuff on their laptop RIGHT NOW and demand bad policies out of personal convenience.

Of course, that causes my eyes to rage bleed when I don't even have permissions to tell Microsoft Defender to stop spamming me with completed scan notifications.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

A competent business would provide their employees the tools to do the job, including a personal computer. I'm coming from IT so I'm biased but I'm pretty surprised a media company requires employees to byod when a standardized computer would cost less than a week's wages

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe he's a semi freelancer YouTube editor thing. Media scales way up and down. Sony Pictures would not approve, but the local concert promotion art department probably don't care if their customer marketing email list gets sold on the black market

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Maybe he's a semi freelancer YouTube editor thing. Media scales way up and down. Sony Pictures would not approve, but the local concert promotion art department probably don't care if their customer marketing email list gets sold on the black market

All reality TV editing is done via contract, nobody is ever an employee in those contexts, so nobody would ever have an employer-provided computer

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Kibner posted:

Some people find traveling with multiple machines to be pretty annoying.

I use my personal machine for work, but in a vm. I feel like that's "good enough" as far as privacy is concerned.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I probably just have strong feelings on mixing the two because I know how creepy corp data protection teams can be. My company also got owned pretty hard last year because an outsourcer was allowed to use systems we don't manage to connect into our network and work on infrastructure.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
My local Best Buy has a dinged up Yoga 7i 2023 14" for 450$ - 2K IPS, i7 1355U, 16 gigs ram, 512 SSD. Is that a decent deal for a couch lappy?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

loopsheloop posted:

My local Best Buy has a dinged up Yoga 7i 2023 14" for 450$ - 2K IPS, i7 1355U, 16 gigs ram, 512 SSD. Is that a decent deal for a couch lappy?

Depends on the dings and if they'd bug you personally I think. I have one with a slightly older 12th Gen Intel and it is a very sturdy feeling machine, I'm actually curious what happened to the BB one to warrant scratch/ding condition as mine is still mint. Mine has been pretty pampered though. Great high res 90hz display, quality keyboard and touchpad, and the build is very solid compared to my gaming laptop. It can get warm under load as most 12 and up gen Intel chips do, but the power modes keep it in check and doing basic browsing the cooling is basically passive.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

loopsheloop posted:

Depending on condition obviously but yeah that kicks the poo poo out of just about anything you'd get at that price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

Others have already given good answers on what SSD to get, and I just wanted to chime in that I have a similar TUF laptop and it was refreshingly easy to work on. I added an SSD and bumped the RAM to 32GB and it's been running happily.

I mostly only use it when I travel, so it doesn't get a whole lot of use, but it's served me well.

My work laptop couldn't game unless I installed GeForce Now and had a decent Internet connection, which I wouldn't do anyway because it's my work laptop. For work.

Edit: For whatever reason I have full admin rights on my work laptop, and try not to abuse the privilege. I've installed a few things, like browsers, Elgato Control Center to control my wireless lights for videoconferencing and Audacity to deal with audio recordings, but that's about it. I did open it up and upgrade the RAM to 16GB without permission, but goddamn it was painful to use with only 8GB.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 6, 2024