Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh yeah, this is a classic Paranatural page-turn. Someone else is running into Cody in the bathroom at the same time as Davey spots something else.

I'm guessing (speculation, not actual spoilers) Sophie is in the bathroom trying to figure out why Davy's son is at the PTA, and Baxter is about to chat with her dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

Chapter 8-60
We are back to our regularly scheduled PTA meeting.

The other thing: Cody confirms that both Fauxbia and Razor Rex are visible to non-spectrals. I don't think we know for sure if Wights are visible to non-spectrals, but that aside there remains a strong possibility that Razor Rex at least is someone dressed up and acting as a wright.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This week isn't being skipped (knock on wood), Zack fell behind on work and will have it out late tonight or early tomorrow.

I'm excited to find out who Davy's looking at.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

That's one h*ck of a spirit :stare:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

yeah, I'm loving the colors and design. I wonder what it'd be if it weren't a grudge.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Of course Davey Jones would have a locker.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

As usual the puns are absolute top tier. Crypt + cryptid + riptide.

The locker seems to share the same color pattern as the screaming wight from Rick/Mina's flashback with Boss Leader.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1786908378058674515

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cryptide has the division symbol in her eye, so I assume her power has something to do with Hijack being split. Although that would make Davey’s hook a tool, so that leaves a question of how Cody used her power. It would ALSO explain why his severed hand would become a distinct ghost (Lefty). Presumably the other locker spirit would explain his spatial manipulation.

Also, it’s literally Davy Jones’s locker. I hate you Zack!

As for Razor Rex, the popular theory is that Phantomime is possessing Penny and posing as a Death Goddess. Dual-stemmed word balloons so far have indicated a spirit talking through their spectral without the spectral’s knowledge. So far we’ve seen it with Max and the contract sphinx (presumably) and Hijack with Spender. It would also explain her numerous powers AND her difficulty using them as Penny uses shortcuts instead of forming actual bonds. Penny is also the only with white spectral energy we know of besides Angel, and it’s not likely Angel has two spirits moonlighting as cult-leading deities.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

Cryptide has the division symbol in her eye, so I assume her power has something to do with Hijack being split. Although that would make Davey’s hook a tool, so that leaves a question of how Cody used her power. It would ALSO explain why his severed hand would become a distinct ghost (Lefty). Presumably the other locker spirit would explain his spatial manipulation.

It's heavily implied Davy is the one who split the Great Sphinx into the various cats, and the sword he uses to do it seems to have been transformed into his hook. I've had a theoretical hypothesis that the feedback from severing the Great Sphinx is what blew off Davy's hand (and killed P.J.).

Today's page, though, implies that Davy's hand was torn off during the Consortium's "betrayal" of Davy. We see in the page linked above that he's still in Consortium uniform, and he's obviously no longer a member.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 5, 2024

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

That's one h*ck of a spirit :stare:

Reminds me of how the witch enemies in Magica Madoka or one of the final bosses in Undertale where they looked like they were cut from craft paper or real photos but superimposed onto a wholey different style.

Pants Donkey posted:

Note that Cryptide also has a pair of scissors in their body extending through the center. You can see the handles near the eye as well on either side of the lighthouse body.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Reminds me of how the witch enemies in Magica Madoka or one of the final bosses in Undertale where they looked like they were cut from craft paper or real photos but superimposed onto a wholey different style.

fun fact: the design of that collage final boss in undertale was done by sa's own everdraed

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I want to point out the extremely powerful contrast between Davy's Cryptide (in no way a dog, very much dog-like) and Ángel's Cherub (adorable angel dog, malicious and definitely not doggo).

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
So Davy's sword-hook-hand is a tool that Cryptide is bound to, and the locker spirit is a wight that's either possessing Davy or is bound to an object Davy has on him.

I'm guessing the locker spirit was what let Davy do the space-warping stuff he did back when he and Hijack had their standoff. It's definitely not part of Cryptide's powers, because Davy hands off the tool to Cody here then glorps into the floor.

Unless that's a vampire thing and vampires can just do that in this comic. Seems unlikely but you never know for sure.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That means Davy 100% wanted hijack alive as 2 spirits, because he gave his son a spirit splitting tool and told him to cut hijack in two

Cody doesn't have to be using the power, "Cut him in two" could also have been an order to cryptide as well.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 5, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Does not disappoint.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Of course Davey Jones would have a locker.

So if this is a representation of Cody's heart. What does the burger sticker mean? The others I can get as it's a spirit (spectrals), Vampire (either general or Davy), a Wolf (Shrike). The Star could probably represent the school as a whole. The post-it note with [ZZZ] might hint at the consortium. But I don't remember Cody having any connection to Ed or the Burgers. So are the stickers instead created by Davy in this mindscape?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Represents his american spirit

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

So if this is a representation of Cody's heart. What does the burger sticker mean? The others I can get as it's a spirit (spectrals), Vampire (either general or Davy), a Wolf (Shrike). The Star could probably represent the school as a whole. The post-it note with [ZZZ] might hint at the consortium. But I don't remember Cody having any connection to Ed or the Burgers. So are the stickers instead created by Davy in this mindscape?

Is it supposed to be Cody? The page references the locker as having a spirit as it's source and Cody is very much alive despite his heritage.

I think what red plastic cup said earlier is closer to the mark. And the locker represents some spirit that Davy is acting as a medium for. Maybe it's the wight that the Burgers were investigating or yet another wight that hasn't been formally introduced yet that has some history with the consortium. In that case the stickers could be an indication of who put the wight away or are responsible for otherwise sealing it. But whatever the case is, it doesn't seem likely that Cryptide is the reason why Davy can manipulate space. The power doesn't seem quite right for it?

Though it's not impossible it could just be some very creative use of Cryptide's power or some esoteric vampire thing I guess. But I think it being the work of whatever is in the locker seems more likely.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 16, 2024

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

Though it's not impossible it could just be some very creative use of Cryptide's power or some esoteric vampire thing I guess. But I think it being the work of whatever is in the locker seems more likely.
Exerpt from the last update.

quote:

Cody came to his senses. He clutched his empty chest. Its pulse had fallen silent once again. He blinked, dumbfounded. For a moment, Cody had felt his father’s presence fall upon him, cast larger than life like a shadow at sunset: a vast, protective love, stitched back together, scarred and twisted, from the ruins of something lost. He’d felt the weight of a sword in his hands, the weight he’d felt when he’d cut Hijack. He’d felt his missing heart... and something else. Something far less familiar.

Something... something had been watching him. Staring at him for minutes in less than a second. He could still feel its white-hot gaze upon his back, slowly cooling like a lightbulb’s fading filament. Cody shuddered. It was a stare that wanted something, a lonely and envious stare... a cavernous question desperate for an answer.
Is what convinced me that the Locker is a representation of Cody's heart. Cody describes feeling some time dilation which is characteristic of spirit trances, sensing his father's presence, his own heart, and something else which is likely the spirit within the locker. All of this immediately after Davy uses a trance and in close proximity at that.

As for what I think is happening here; if Cryptide's only power is severing things it still fits that Davy used that power to remove Cody's heart. He's probably then used Cody's heart as a medium for this 2nd spirit which Davy then grafted into his own body allowing him access to it's powers; as well as being a way to surveil his son's condition.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

Is it supposed to be Cody? The page references the locker as having a spirit as it's source and Cody is very much alive despite his heritage.

I think what red plastic cup said earlier is closer to the mark. And the locker represents some spirit that Davy is acting as a medium for. Maybe it's the wight that the Burgers were investigating or yet another wight that hasn't been formally introduced yet that has some history with the consortium. In that case the stickers could be an indication of who put the wight away or are responsible for otherwise sealing it. But whatever the case is, it doesn't seem likely that Cryptide is the reason why Davy can manipulate space. The power doesn't seem quite right for it?

The colour scheme on the locker is quite similar to that of a wight:

And, while we're at it, that wight was definitely distorting its space. Although that was in a dream, so it might not mean much. Definitely liking the idea that the stickers represent the people who sealed it away.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So if the Vampire is Davy, the Ghost is Francisco Guerra, the ZZZ note is Boss Leader/Sandman, the Burger is the Doctors Burger, and the wolf is Shrike... would that make the Star represent Agent Summers/June Puckett? It's not Agent Day, or Spender, Mina or Garcia, who would have been too young. I can't think of anyone else who could feasibly have been around, unless it's someone we don't know. Doorman seems to be represented by Guerra as his partner, like Cryptide isn't represented. Of course, it might actually be Spender, since we know he had an encounter with the Wight in the lake as a child when he met Lucifer (and it seems likely that those are the same Wight), but he's unlikely to have participated in sealing it unless those battles were one and the same. Though I'm very unsure if the shadow spirit Spender has is a fragment of the locker Wight. I can't really see how it could be unless a piece of it managed to escape when encountering Spender.

Spectral energy colour seems vaguely heritable (Isabel, Ed) but it's not perfect (Angel, most of the Spender family) but the flashback panel featuring Davy would suggest a pink or blue hued spectral depending on which colour Shrike is.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 16, 2024

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm figuring the star is Spender. He's got the light powers, and it's small and inobtrusive reflecting both he was a kid at the time and is still fairly small fry now. He still got the "strongest spectral" reputation out of his encounter, although at this point I suspect it's just because he was the one least capable of hiding his involvement.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr. Starchman is secretly a spectral :eek:

But yeah it's probably Spender. He's used stars before to attack.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SKULL.GIF posted:

Mr. Starchman is secretly a spectral :eek:

This would honestly be a bad reveal for me because I love that he's not paranatural and yet still one of the biggest weirdos.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Of course, it might actually be Spender, since we know he had an encounter with the Wight in the lake as a child when he met Lucifer (and it seems likely that those are the same Wight), but he's unlikely to have participated in sealing it unless those battles were one and the same. Though I'm very unsure if the shadow spirit Spender has is a fragment of the locker Wight. I can't really see how it could be unless a piece of it managed to escape when encountering Spender.

I'm like 90% certain that this is the case given the Spender reaction on this page and the direct, almost 1-to-1 comparison between the wight struggling to escape the rainbow door and the wight that attacked him in the lake.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Spender's spirit is Lucifer, the morning star.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm like 90% certain that this is the case given the Spender reaction on this page and the direct, almost 1-to-1 comparison between the wight struggling to escape the rainbow door and the wight that attacked him in the lake.

Oh, right, thinking about it more, I guess if the shadow spirit is a fragment of the lake wight then by being its medium and having Lucifer imprison it, he would in fact be sealing it, so it would completely track that he has a sticker.

...So do all of the rest of them have pieces of it currently, then? The Doctors Burger seem to be trapped within the wight (given Gwen's answer to Mina's "where are you?" is also "a wight.") Is this particular wight Francisco's unfinished business? (Or is that Davy...)

Consortium MO for dealing with Wights back then seems to have been "have Davy divide it into pieces" and it seems unlikely they'd stop at just two. They didn't with the sphinxes, who are at least four.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Consortium MO for dealing with Wights back then seems to have been "have Davy divide it into pieces" and it seems unlikely they'd stop at just two. They didn't with the sphinxes, who are at least four.
Last update did mention that Davy and Cryptide helped end the "age of Wights". And when we see Davy and the others fighting the Spinx, Master Guerra is young even though we know he died at age 70. So there was probably a good decade and then some where Wights were being hunted down and cut apart before whatever falling out happened that led to Davy being locked up like he said he was in the previous update.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Oh, right, thinking about it more, I guess if the shadow spirit is a fragment of the lake wight then by being its medium and having Lucifer imprison it, he would in fact be sealing it, so it would completely track that he has a sticker.

Boss Leader definitely implies that Spender is containing a portion of a wight (and that she knows about Mina's plans to try to control a/the wight).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SKULL.GIF posted:

Boss Leader definitely implies that Spender is containing a portion of a wight (and that she knows about Mina's plans to try to control a/the wight).

So then whatever is in the locker isn't the entire thing. Wonder if Davy has lines onto the rest of it? Or if that's what the PTA meeting is intended to accomplish? I can see how his eternal night would come about as a result of him locating the shadow remnant in Spender.

Also I was clicking around and I keep forgetting to ask if this is as deliberate of a reference as it looks, of Monstrous Boss Leader being based on the "Bad Batter" from OFF:

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 16, 2024