Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Cacafuego posted:

Question for you international road warriors - next year, we’re flying NBO-DOH on Qatar in business class, coming in at night (~2300), then flying out in the morning DOH-PHL on AA in business. I had planned on getting a hotel room for the night as they have one in DOH, but how does that work with customs and such? Would we collect luggage in DOH, go through customs/immigration, check in at the hotel, then come back in the morning and go through security? Or is the hotel airside behind security?

I’ve also seen some people mention staying overnight in “sleeping rooms” in the lounges, which I assume we’d have access to on business class flights (I’m also a one world emerald if that matters). So, if the hotel thing doesn’t work outs maybe we’ll try that.

What time is the DOH-PHL flight? Leaving the airport to go to your hotel and back sounds less than ideal, especially if you want to maximize sleep.

I would try to stay airside at the airport, and have your bags checked all the way through from NBO to PHL.

For airside sleeping options, you can try seeing if you can upgrade to Al Safwa First Class lounge (I think it's about $150 per person) which has a "sleeping room", make sure to confirm availability before purchasing access. They're not really sleeping rooms, they're basically mini hotel rooms with ensuite bathrooms.

There's sleeping chairs in the Al Mourjan Business Class lounge, but these usually get filled and are not that comfortable. The Al Mourjan Garden lounge also has the same sleeping chair but in separate private rooms. These are all first come first served.

Note that access to both of these is based on flying Business, but I'm not sure if AA business qualifies the same way QR business does. Certainly since your incoming is with QR you can probably claim that you flew QR biz and the AA biz is a codeshare or connection or something.

There's lastly the Oryx Hotel that's airside but is usually quite expensive: like $300+ for a room and they often sell out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

There's lastly the Oryx Hotel that's airside but is usually quite expensive: like $300+ for a room and they often sell out.

NBO-DOH arrives 2315 and DOH-PHL departs 0845. I was planning on staying airside and paying for the Oryx. We don’t mind paying $300 (currently $308) since we’re spending less than that for round trip business class flights.

That’s the big question though - since they’re not linked and on different airlines, I assume we’d need to pick up our bags, clear customs, then some how get airside again to stay at the hotel. Would AA be available after midnight to checkout bags for a morning flight?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wife, toddler, and I are flying steerage on a United/Lufthansa flight via Munich. Does Lufthansa have a process for upgrades at a "reasonable" price? Is there a way to be more/less likely to get an offer?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

That’s the big question though - since they’re not linked and on different airlines, I assume we’d need to pick up our bags, clear customs, then some how get airside again to stay at the hotel. Would AA be available after midnight to checkout bags for a morning flight?

No, and assuming your bags don't have valuables, I would just push hard to get it through-checked at NBO or have it sorted at the transfer point by handing AA transfer desk/gate agent your baggage tags and making it their problem. Do not clear immigration and baggage claim just for bags.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Wife, toddler, and I are flying steerage on a United/Lufthansa flight via Munich. Does Lufthansa have a process for upgrades at a "reasonable" price? Is there a way to be more/less likely to get an offer?

Pretty much no and no. You can put in an offer but I haven’t seen much reasonable

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Where are the best places to eat around PIT? It looks like I'll be spending my weekdays around there for the next month or so.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SpeedFreek posted:

Where are the best places to eat around PIT? It looks like I'll be spending my weekdays around there for the next month or so.

Assuming you mean the city and not the actual airport, Pittsburgh has lots of good food. Here are a few that come to mind.

Pusadee's garden - Thai. Make reservations as far in advance as possible.

Fig & Ash - Modern American

Morcilla - Spanish tapas

Gaucho Parilla - Argentinean, grilled meat

Scratch & Co. - Brunch here was pretty good

Tako - Popular taco spot downtown. I was too drunk to remember how good they were.

COBRA - Japanese BBQ / wagyu + karaoke

Thyme Machine - absolutely baller breakfast sandwiches

Siempre Algo - Modern American

If you mean the airport, LOL. LMAO.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
in the airport itself is pretty dire but Michael Symon's joint is passable

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Ooookay so this is a mess: I was gifted Gold on British Airways (OneWorld Emerald - MUCH higher than my lowly AA status). I have a bunch of upcoming flights booked on my American with my AAdvantage number, and I called in to change one of the itins to the BA ff number. Afterwards, that trip straight up disappeared from the AA phone app/website and is ALSO not on my BA account on britishairways.com. I still have the record locator, so not a big deal, but does this mean I can't use the AA app at all for my boarding passes?

I don't care about getting AA miles for these flights but is there a way to keep the flight associated with my AA login so I can see the drat ticket and do a same day flight change or anything else like that?

Can I leverage emerald for upgrades on American at all? Can I get on the upgrade list? Do I have to call in for that 24 hours in advance? (Should I be calling AA or BA?)

If anyone's done this weird AA/BA dance before, I'd appreciate any thoughts or guidance.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/oneworld-airline-partners.jsp

Emerald doesn’t get complimentary upgrade privileges.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/extras/same-day-travel.jsp

Anyone can standby for an earlier flight, but only AAdvantage® status members can confirmed standby for a later flight the same day

Confirmed change is only for AA status.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 9, 2024

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

taco show posted:

I still have the record locator, so not a big deal, but does this mean I can't use the AA app at all for my boarding passes?

You can use the AA app without logging into your account and find your trip via the PNR. Boarding passes and whatnot should work normally.

OneWhirled is pretty lovely when it comes to partner benefits outside of the top tier. I flew QR last year and credited to BA because I had an account and use Avios to book cheap awards on AA metal. $7k ticket netted me 16k Avios.

Total horseshit.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Man I dunno, even sapphire gets extra baggage, biz class lounges, biz class check in, and better boarding.

It all rocked when I was staring out and barely scraping by getting Platinum.

But I also accept that more money = better than and reciprocity in terms of earning miles or status on other airlines / flight numbers should not really be 1:1 to crediting the operating and ticketing airline. I also stopped expecting poo poo from mile redemptions when the 180k RTW J redemptions went away.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Maybe right thread for this since many of you fly a lot and maybe fly business class.

I'm flying Business Class on United into Changi Airport from the States so I'm going to be arriving at the airport a day later than my departure date. Will they allow me access to the Business Class Lounge at arrival? I'll be arriving in the evening and plan to book either a late evening/red-eye or early morning flight out and would rather save some money going into Singapore and then coming back to the airport. I read United does allow this for anyone who is arriving but I also hear conflicting things.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Strong Sauce posted:

Maybe right thread for this since many of you fly a lot and maybe fly business class.

I'm flying Business Class on United into Changi Airport from the States so I'm going to be arriving at the airport a day later than my departure date. Will they allow me access to the Business Class Lounge at arrival? I'll be arriving in the evening and plan to book either a late evening/red-eye or early morning flight out and would rather save some money going into Singapore and then coming back to the airport. I read United does allow this for anyone who is arriving but I also hear conflicting things.

If I'm understanding correctly, you're seeking to air side transit Singapore instead of actually going through immigration and going into Singapore proper. If so, this is common and they have air side hotels in the airport for longer layovers. I'd recommend that over worrying about a lounge.

That said, lounge access would be based on your outbound ticket from Singapore because it will be separate from your inbound on United.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Had a longer layover than usual because I'm traveling with family. Showering in the Munich airport right now after a long flight and holy poo poo i feel almost human.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
It is amazing how a shower and brushing your teeth helps with jet lag.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Beef Of Ages posted:

It is amazing how a shower and brushing your teeth helps with jet lag.

I'm flying AF business through CDG later this year and I'm kind of curious to try out their lounge sauna if it's available

Ten years ago, just that idea would have sounded absurd to me

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

EricBauman posted:

I'm flying AF business through CDG later this year and I'm kind of curious to try out their lounge sauna if it's available

Ten years ago, just that idea would have sounded absurd to me

The whole of Terminal 2 is a goddamn sauna. Adding one to the lounge is wholly redundant and something AF would do.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Beef Of Ages posted:

That said, lounge access would be based on your outbound ticket from Singapore because it will be separate from your inbound on United.

it explicitly says you are allowed to enter lounges for departing, connecting and arrival flights. my question is whether or not the day change makes a difference.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

it explicitly says you are allowed to enter lounges for departing, connecting and arrival flights. my question is whether or not the day change makes a difference.

The day change does not make a difference.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My travel is insane and even I can’t fathom flying to Singapore and not wanting to leave an airport lounge.

I can’t wait to even have a few hours free there again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Going to be in Burlington, MA next week for work. Used to go to Lowell a lot, but haven't been in 5+ years. Anywhere in particular I should hit up for food / drinks? The Mrs. is coming, along with some work people I actually like.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I think there is virtually no reason for me to keep paying for my Platinum Delta AmEx, outside of not wanting to go update a bunch of accounts / auto-bill things. I have never used the companion certificate, it does gently caress all for lounge/etc, and I'm DM on spend alone from work travel.

If you change any card, you get a new card number, right? I know AmEx shares your account age with oldest card, regardless of changes which is really nice. Thinking I'll just switch to the regular Platinum card.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

movax posted:

I think there is virtually no reason for me to keep paying for my Platinum Delta AmEx, outside of not wanting to go update a bunch of accounts / auto-bill things. I have never used the companion certificate, it does gently caress all for lounge/etc, and I'm DM on spend alone from work travel.

If you change any card, you get a new card number, right? I know AmEx shares your account age with oldest card, regardless of changes which is really nice. Thinking I'll just switch to the regular Platinum card.

Do you want to stick with Delta cards? If so, you could probably downgrade to the gold or even the no annual fee Blue card, and I think your number would be the same?

movax posted:

I know AmEx shares your account age with oldest card, regardless of changes which is really nice.

If you mean on your credit report, I thought they stopped doing this for new cards.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I just changed my Delta Amex level and the number stayed the same but the expiration and security code changed.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I also downgraded to the no fee blue card and the number didn't change

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

asur posted:

The day change does not make a difference.

follow up to this. if you're on united polaris business class you can stay in the lounge upon arrival. everybody else in the star alliance network can kick rocks apparently.

i decided to just book my connecting flight for 2.5 hours later anyways so my plan is to fly in, shower at polaris and then fly out.

as a back up though if i can't use the polaris lounge i have priority pass and they seem to have access to nice lounges at changi airport and those have showers as well.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Strong Sauce posted:

follow up to this. if you're on united polaris business class you can stay in the lounge upon arrival. everybody else in the star alliance network can kick rocks apparently.

i decided to just book my connecting flight for 2.5 hours later anyways so my plan is to fly in, shower at polaris and then fly out.

as a back up though if i can't use the polaris lounge i have priority pass and they seem to have access to nice lounges at changi airport and those have showers as well.

There is no Polaris lounge at SIN, but you should be able to use the KrisFlyer Gold or SilverKris Business lounges.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Beef Of Ages posted:

There is no Polaris lounge at SIN, but you should be able to use the KrisFlyer Gold or SilverKris Business lounges.

Thanks, one of the few other times I've flown Business class was out of Singapore and that lounge they had specifically for Star Alliance and Polaris Business Class flyers had a bunch of United Airlines logos so I thought it was Polaris. Looking at pictures it's the SilverKris one.

Going to try regardless since the rule on United says it applies to the ticket, not the lounge. But yeah if not I'll try the SATS Lounge or whichever one has an available shower.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

Thanks, one of the few other times I've flown Business class was out of Singapore and that lounge they had specifically for Star Alliance and Polaris Business Class flyers had a bunch of United Airlines logos so I thought it was Polaris. Looking at pictures it's the SilverKris one.

Going to try regardless since the rule on United says it applies to the ticket, not the lounge. But yeah if not I'll try the SATS Lounge or whichever one has an available shower.

The SilverKris lounge is the better one and there will be showers available. Krisflyer Gold lounge is the one for economy passengers and there's not even a separate toilet in the lounge.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Head’s up to anyone connecting through LHR: they’re applying the new minimum connection rules automatically to any delays, not just having it apply to bookings. I had a 1h45 T5-T3 (BA > AA) connection, incoming flight arrived a half hour late, and as that left me with less than the now-in-effect connection time of ninety minutes, my ticket was automatically rebooked so I couldn’t even try to make it, like they wouldn’t let me into security.

Edit: and here I am boarding five hours late

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 17, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Head’s up to anyone connecting through LHR: they’re applying the new minimum connection rules automatically to any delays, not just having it apply to bookings. I had a 1h45 T5-T3 (BA > AA) connection, incoming flight arrived a half hour late, and as that left me with less than the now-in-effect connection time of ninety minutes, my ticket was automatically rebooked so I couldn’t even try to make it, like they wouldn’t let me into security.

The airport itself is enforcing it? Or BA/AA/Oneworld?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
That's a function of BA (or whichever carrier the ticket is plated on). And I could easily see such a deeply unfriendly to the customer move by BA, so the shoe fits. Did they rebook you to a BA flight so your new boarding pass wouldn't let you into T3 or was there another issue?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Beef Of Ages posted:

That's a function of BA (or whichever carrier the ticket is plated on). And I could easily see such a deeply unfriendly to the customer move by BA, so the shoe fits. Did they rebook you to a BA flight so your new boarding pass wouldn't let you into T3 or was there another issue?

Exactly this. It was “Welcome to London, no, sorry, you’re now on the 2:30 out of T5.” Which left at 3:40 because of the daily runway swap, but that’s another gripe. Hello from Boston, six hours behind.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

KillHour posted:

Assuming you mean the city and not the actual airport, Pittsburgh has lots of good food.

You just stared that man directly in the face and lied to him without blinking.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrLogan posted:

You just stared that man directly in the face and lied to him without blinking.

I feel bad for you because you either have terrible taste or terrible luck.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I managed to stay away further from the airport area in Cranberry and found some decent food and one place with decent beer. Nothing but chain restaurants by the hotels closest to PIT.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

I would be livid. Hopefully you get 600 Eur compensation if it qualifies for that BS.

In local Heathrow parlance they call it "conformance"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Anything I'm Mount Laurel NJ? Do they have, a thing?
I'll be there a week for work. Flying into Philly but don't think I have time to do anything there.