Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I need Kong Kong and Kuany Kuany in my starting five, but Bol Bol's going to stay benched all match

You actually have it exactly backwards: Bol Bol is the only player on that list who's in the NBA, I think. (You might remember his dad, Manute Bol.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Arivia posted:

You actually have it exactly backwards: Bol Bol is the only player on that list who's in the NBA, I think. (You might remember his dad, Manute Bol.)

I think Wenyen Gabriel as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gschmidl posted:

South Sudan basketball invites just dropped

The gently caress kinda name is Taylor Bowen? Ridiculous!

e: I wonder if Kuany is just a common name or if they're related to the Kuany Kuany who played for Kauhajoki.

ee: Or the same guy, I guess.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 07:46 on May 2, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

lol (e: lol lol)

Apologies to any Bol Bol fans out there. It makes sense that the South Sudanese would be good at basketball, they're apparently some of the tallest people in the world.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 13:26 on May 2, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I can't pronounce "Achor Achor" like anything but a trucker saying "Breaker breaker"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

tribbledirigible posted:

code:

GGGGGGGG

lol

e: "no, I said debugger mode"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The gently caress kinda name is Taylor Bowen? Ridiculous!

Good news, turns out his middle name is Bol.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: I wonder if Kuany is just a common name or if they're related to the Kuany Kuany who played for Kauhajoki.

Tiny bit of searching also surfaced another player named Kuany Teng.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I bring grave news. Thread favorite Speed Weed is actually just William Henry Weed.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dude's about to go on and on for a thousand pages

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

venus de lmao posted:

I bring grave news. Thread favorite Speed Weed is actually just William Henry Weed.

Snee'ds Speed & Weed (formerly William's)

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Just got off the phone with a Richard Ramirez (link)

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
A friend of mine has older family members named Xochipilli, Citlalli, and Xocoquetzali. :psyduck:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Queen Gnome posted:

A friend of mine has older family members named Xochipilli, Citlalli, and Xocoquetzali. :psyduck:

Mexican descent? Those sound Nahua or adjacent. They're definitely distinct but I feel like people are constantly going to struggle to pronounce and write your name, including in Mexico itself

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, those are all Nahuatl names, I don't think particularly unusual ones? Obviously it would depend on the cultural context.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Bad rear end is what they are.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, those are all Nahuatl names, I don't think particularly unusual ones? Obviously it would depend on the cultural context.

I should have included that haha. They're 100% white Canadians

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Also those are all deities

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Also those are all deities

The parents were apparently big fans of the Aztecs

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Heaven Leigh. I hate parents who give their kids joke/pun names.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
There's a Heavenlee at my work. Not sure if it's supposed to be pronounced Heavenly or Heaven Lee.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Marcade posted:

Heaven Leigh. I hate parents who give their kids joke/pun names.

My mom briefly considered giving me a three letter first name one letter off from our three letter last name. Just a different vowel in the middle. My whole life would've been people singing my name at me.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

UwUnabomber posted:

My mom briefly considered giving me a three letter first name one letter off from our three letter last name. Just a different vowel in the middle. My whole life would've been people singing my name at me.

Nice to meet you, Tim Tam.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

God that is so badass

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So this is actually like a cry for help.

One of my jobs is calling out names at graduation. I want to get the pronunciations right as possible. I am pretty good with most names, but I have never had to say one like this:

Oghenenyerhovwo Eghwrudjakpor

I know nothing about the student personally, so I haven't heard them say their own name yet. Anyone got any guidance for how to pronounce it? I don't want to mess up their graduation ceremony by bungling their name and I don't trust pronunciation sites to not be bullshit.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

marshmallow creep posted:

One of my jobs is calling out names at graduation. I want to get the pronunciations right as possible. I am pretty good with most names, but I have never had to say one like this:

I know nothing about the student personally, so I haven't heard them say their own name yet. Anyone got any guidance for how to pronounce it? I don't want to mess up their graduation ceremony by bungling their name and I don't trust pronunciation sites to not be bullshit.

Could you contact said student and ask for help with the pronunciation?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hope so and intend to. Sometimes students don't show up or can't be reached until they are walking the stage.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Could you contact said student and ask for help with the pronunciation?

You could also reach out to one of their teachers. For all you know, they go by Bob.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Seems to be a name from the Urhobo people of southern Nigeria. So all you have to do is apply your knowledge of Urhobo pronunciation rules. Good luck!

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Note that they never refer to themselves as Urhobo, that's only used by outsiders. They call themselves Werhobo.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'd go with "Oghene Eg-rood-jak-por"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You could also reach out to one of their teachers. For all you know, they go by Bob.

Update: He goes by "Marvelous."

Correction: "OG Marvelous."

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 00:08 on May 17, 2024

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Oh, so it is the truck driver.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

One of my jobs is calling out names at graduation.

the president of my college before I got there was a really smart guy but tripped up on some words

he was giving out an honorary degree and one of the deans slipped in the phrase "eleemosynary activities" into his speech

he was reading off the guy's various accomplishments and got to that part and without even pausing said "charitable activities" instead

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Ah, memories of my high school principal mangling the Asian names, even though we were all given index cards on which to write out our names phonetically. There were only 110 kids in my class, and most of us had pretty straightforward names. He could have put in the effort to figure out Xuanlan and Xiao Hua.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Part of our routine is we ask everyone as they come in and I often double check when they come up to the stage just to make sure I don't gently caress up.

Got through 159 names tonight and only fumbled on my own tongue twice.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Part of our routine is we ask everyone as they come in and I often double check when they come up to the stage just to make sure I don't gently caress up.

at least once commencement had a form everybody filed out with phonetic versions of their name then handed in as they walked but I figured it was a common thing

Got through 159 names tonight and only fumbled on my own tongue twice.

good shootin'

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Icye Rivers

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Articles that sound like twee indie films: "SUDDEN DEATH OF OVERTON GOOSE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Empty Sandwich posted:

the president of my college before I got there was a really smart guy but tripped up on some words

he was giving out an honorary degree and one of the deans slipped in the phrase "eleemosynary activities" into his speech

he was reading off the guy's various accomplishments and got to that part and without even pausing said "charitable activities" instead

My brother used to work at an art school and he was in charge of admitting foreign students, checking their credentials, etc. He also read the application letters. There was a prospective student from a country in West-Africa who, in his cover letter, thoughtfully included he did volunteer work with "depraved communities". Bro had a sensible chuckle about that one.