Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Related thought: deep into the Dead Kingdom and it finally clicked for me: John French is writing vampire spy fiction and thats very cool to me.

A protagonist that is always outnumbered and outgunned, falling deeper and deeper into manipulated webs of conspiracy where nobody can be trusted but holding a strong core to guide them and a limited bag of tricks to get him out of jams.

I think the cold war framing of Dead Kingdom made it more explicit to me, while I think it's less emotionally resonant than hollow king and a bit more action packed the conspiracy and mystery is still pretty strong and compelling.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
poo poo I hadn't heard of those and you just sold me

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Yeah I might look into that

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Me three. Those were good posts.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

OPAONI posted:

Renegades: Lords of Excess badly needs a rework. There's something here but the plot loving meanders back and forth in the 2nd half so climaxes aren't climaxes and things just happen.

Yeah I just finished it. It was kinda a mess. It held my interest but after the first act it just kinda feels like it doesn't know what it's doing or where it is going.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

jadebullet posted:

It was kinda a mess. It held my interest but after the first act it just kinda feels like it doesn't know what it's doing or where it is going.

I mean. Slaanesh. What's the equivalent term for "method acting" when it refers to an author's writing process?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Kylaer posted:

I mean. Slaanesh. What's the equivalent term for "method acting" when it refers to an author's writing process?

I mean true. And it actually kinda fits with the plotline and main character.

I enjoyed it and was entertained, it was just kinda aimless.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

I have been reading Spear of the Emperor again and it is just so good. I really need a sequel.

Can we think of any logical reasons that GW is holding back Spear 2 and Black Legion 3?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Miguel Prado posted:

I have been reading Spear of the Emperor again and it is just so good. I really need a sequel.

Can we think of any logical reasons that GW is holding back Spear 2 and Black Legion 3?

Last thing I heard, ADB was struggling badly with his mental health issues, so maybe he has taken a break.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Miguel Prado posted:

I cannot think of any. To me, if BL hasn't announced them, then it doesn't have them ready and doesn't expect them to be ready on a predictable timeframe - note that they already announced Mike Brooks' next book and it isn't expected until late this year, but Brooks can churn out books reliably.

I never bought the theory that BL has a bunch of content sitting around, ready to publish but kept secret.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

sometimes books just sort of don't work, or fall apart during writing, or any number of things.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
ADB got stuck figuring out how to kill off the Ezekarion since they don't appear in Fall of Cadia.

Of course the easiest way of pruning beloved characters is also the best Erebus :ese:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

https://bsky.app/profile/aptshadow.bsky.social/post/3kritoan3rk2v

We're getting another book by Adrian Tchaikovsky :getin:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Miguel Prado posted:

I would 100% preorder a sequel to Spears. I really like how ADB portrays the Celestial Lions in his work and I really want to know what is going on with the Veil wardens after the events of Spears. Especially since they have effectively written off the Imperium as a whole and things don't seem to be going well for them.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Miguel Prado posted:

I could be conflating like 3 different things I've read and heard but I could have sworn I saw a post from ADB saying BL3 was done but was being held back for revelations in End and the Death pt3.

Also I didn't know this thread was here, time to go back like 300 pages and read up. I just finished catching up on Dawn of Fire up to the current point and am most of the way done with Renegades: Lords of Excess right now, up next will be the new Deathworlder book

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

I could be conflating like 3 different things I've read and heard but I could have sworn I saw a post from ADB saying BL3 was done but was being held back for revelations in End and the Death pt3.

Also I didn't know this thread was here, time to go back like 300 pages and read up. I just finished catching up on Dawn of Fire up to the current point and am most of the way done with Renegades: Lords of Excess right now, up next will be the new Deathworlder book

I think you might be conflating theorising that happened in this thread and elsewhere, ADB has never said that.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Yes, that was just thread speculation / wishful thinking. Same with Bequin 3.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Ah, yep just wishful thinking then

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
And truly, the theory doesn't make any sense after reading TEatD, because it didn't contain any revelations to speak of. I loved all three volumes of it and think it's some of Abnett's best work, but it ultimately just filled in a bunch of lovingly-written details about events that have had the broad strokes known for over thirty years. Basically it's the difference between this:

and this:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah true there was nothing new revealed that would really pertain to Abby and Co. so I guess that theory is out.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

That was my biggest disappointment with tEatD. It teased revelation but ultimately there were no major surprises.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The biggest surprise was
Surprise! The last thing in the book is loving Samus!

I'm sure I'll get to conversations about it as I catch up to the current page of this thread, but Sea of Souls was really really good. If it wasn't the latest entry in a series I would probably say it's almost a good starting point for 40k.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

The biggest surprise was
Surprise! The last thing in the book is loving Samus!

He is, after all, the end and the death :frogbon:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Not every book needs Revelations. The purpose of a narrative is to be engaging, thought-provoking, and to stimulate an emotional response, not to fill out a Lexicanum page.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Not every book needs Revelations. The purpose of a narrative is to be engaging, thought-provoking, and to stimulate an emotional response, not to fill out a Lexicanum page.

And when that emotional response is tedium, then you know you're reading poo poo padded with too much filler.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

And when that emotional response is tedium, then you know you're reading poo poo padded with too much filler.

But enough about TEATD2…

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I liked TEatD2 :saddumb:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Angry Lobster posted:

In a way it was a perfect ending to the whole heresy series

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Kylaer posted:

I liked TEatD2 :saddumb:

It was about 60% too long and the Dark King resolution should have come at the climax of the whole book, not 2/3 of the way through.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Kylaer posted:

And truly, the theory doesn't make any sense after reading TEatD, because it didn't contain any revelations to speak of. I loved all three volumes of it and think it's some of Abnett's best work, but it ultimately just filled in a bunch of lovingly-written details about events that have had the broad strokes known for over thirty years. Basically it's the difference between this:

and this:

Does that leave this:

as the Forgeworld version we'll never get?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Arbite posted:

Does that leave this:

as the Forgeworld version we'll never get?

The old images are totally static and I like the dynamism of this one, and of the TEatD3 cover, but the problem with both is that they try to convey action while ignoring the classic lines-of-action rules.

It's basically a perfect match for the "Don't do this" example.

I can't even tell where the lines of action are supposed to be in the TEatD3 cover.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are in the warp in the second one, op

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I was briefly toying with the idea to reread the whole thing again and write reviews for each book, however I quickly realized how many books and audiodramas the Heresy has, with my current pace and commitents It would probably take me a couple years. Not feasible at all. It's a mind-boggling amount of garbage to pick through just to find a couple pearls.

ro5s posted:

In a way it was a perfect ending to the whole heresy series

Yeah, pretty much encapsulates what the Horus Heresy is all about.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I've talked about it in the games thread, but I just started the series and I'm at the end of the 3rd audiobook now. I can't imagine an effort like that is worth it. I wonder how far I'll manage to get before giving up myself.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I’ve been slowly knocking them out one by one for the last couple years, and I’m about halfway through. Trying to read them all at once is very burnout-inducing (particularly because the books often retread the same plot points), but I still find myself coming back to them after reading other stuff. The Gaunt’s Ghosts series were more consistently enjoyable, but I still like the Horus Heresy.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I like the idea of the Heresy and thinking about it more than most of the books in the series that I read, but Siege was fairly consistently enjoyable for me. Even Mortis somehow.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I personally do not care about Heresy in the slightest, but people seem to have a lot of attachment to it. So it's more like I'm interested in seeing why everyone else is so hyped about it more than being interested in the novel series itself.

Well that and it's one of the two big narrative things I've missed out on, but people don't seem to talk all that much about the new plot in the 40k setting.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I would expect part of the reason people like chatting about the Horus Heresy is that it’s a fairly concrete and understandable narrative. There might be 70 books or whatever, but it’s one story and everyone is on the same page about that arch. Whereas talking about the other series or one-offs is difficult because the shared context isn’t there. Unless you’ve read stuff from the Sabbat Worlds Crusade, there’s just nothing to talk about there. But we can still chat about the Heresy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warhammer_40,000_novels

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Lostconfused posted:

I personally do not care about Heresy in the slightest, but people seem to have a lot of attachment to it. So it's more like I'm interested in seeing why everyone else is so hyped about it more than being interested in the novel series itself.

Well that and it's one of the two big narrative things I've missed out on, but people don't seem to talk all that much about the new plot in the 40k setting.

People have been following this for a long time, some even from the beginning. Seeing the series come to a close after eighteen years has been huge. Nearly two decades wishing for this crap to end and now that's gone I feel empty.

At this point the only thing that keeps my soul tethered to this plane of existence is One Piece, and as soon as it comes to an end, I will vanish from this world, leaving only regrets behind, chiefly among them is that I own two physical copies of Battle for the Abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angry Lobster posted:

People have been following this for a long time, some even from the beginning. Seeing the series come to a close after eighteen years has been huge. Nearly two decades wishing for this crap to end and now that's gone I feel empty.

At this point the only thing that keeps my soul tethered to this plane of existence is One Piece, and as soon as it comes to an end, I will vanish from this world, leaving only regrets behind, chiefly among them is that I own two physical copies of Battle for the Abyss.
Which Chaos god do you think will get ya?