Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer
I need some help with something, and this thread kind of seems like it might have the most knowledgeable people to give me advice.

My father-in-law came back home after breaking his hip and doing 3 months in a rehab facility. He's 86, and while his mind is still pretty sharp and quick, he doesn't really have any ability to learn a new process for doing things.

We have a Samsung Smart TV. He likes to watch, pretty much, the stuff he used to watch when it was on TV. Basically he remembers something on the order of 50 shows, give or take, that he enjoys. Think along the lines of Murder She Wrote, the original Adam West Batman, Columbo, original Star Trek, etc. He pays for all the shows he wants to watch. He's led a good life and has significant savings.

Anyway, the thing we're dealing with, is that he can't really handle the navigation that's necessary for finding a show. And, even though I work from home, I can't be his constant TV companion and help him when he wants to put on Columbo for the thousandth time, and it's moved from Freevee to Pluto or whatever. He is capable of using the voice remote on the Samsung, saying the name of a show, and following that to Amazon Prime. But he can't handle having 5-7 streaming services. The Samsung defaults him to VUDU now, and this has kind of been a nightmare because he forgets how to find stuff on Amazon. And navigating the menus is hard for him as he has Parkinson's.

We want him to be comfortable in his final years, months, or however long he has remaining, and this is a major way that he passes the time. Frankly, we much prefer this over what he used to do, which was sit there with Fox News blasting 18 hours a day. Does anyone have advice for how we can help him make this process easier? I've got some time off coming up to help work on a solution for him. We want him to be able to voice search something he knows, go to a single place where his content is, and play it. Is there something like that out there? We're trying to keep him from doing things like wasting his money buying the Spanish version of a movie (he did that recently with Patton) and make use of the streaming services he already has.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I want to say an Apple TV would be good but the problem is some of the services don’t let Apple hook into them with searches (looking at you Netflix).

You can just tell Siri to find something and she will if it’s on one of the services that the company lets use it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The Apple TV's TV app kind of works as a service aggregator, in that it’ll show you a bunch of shows you watch and if you click on “watch Columbo” it’ll open the app that you’ve used to watch Columbo. Might want to look at that.

Last I checked it didn’t work for every streaming service, though.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The easiest is probably setting up a plex server and downloading all the shows onto a dedicated server. I’m not sure how the plex app does with voice commands but he’ll have all his shows in one place so he can hopefully use the remote.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

jabro posted:

The easiest is probably setting up a plex server and downloading all the shows onto a dedicated server. I’m not sure how the plex app does with voice commands but he’ll have all his shows in one place so he can hopefully use the remote.

In a similar fashion, if he literally wants the same shows over and over, I'd buy a Raspberry Pi with a 512GB or 1TB SD card, put something like LibreElec on there, and then download the shows he wants to the device itself using Kodi. You could rip old DVD sets or whatever works to get the shows on there, and then let him use that. Not 100% sure on the voice search, but this is what I've done for my own parents at their camp with movies and TV shows and it works for them.

If you do want streaming services, I'd probably get an nVidia Shield, add storage to it with the 512GB or 1TB SD card, download the Kodi app and add all the shows that way. It's pretty much the same as above, but you could also add whatever streaming services you want and just use the Kodi app for those old TV shows.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Here is a little project I decided to work on since I had a few spare Raspberry Pi 4's, I picked up a used Hauppage branded X-Box One OTA tuner on eBay for $30 and set up TVHeadEnd on a spare RPI and an IPTV management tool called Cabernet to scrape and ingest Pluto TV feeds and guide data.

It was a little bit of work because most documentation is either outdated or just has bits and pieces located in a million different places. TVHeadEnd is basically broken on anything above 18.04 Ubuntu due to changes of how users/groups worked. Cabernet documentation is non-existent or just flat out wrong in some places, so I ended up spinning it up in docker and figuring it out that way. The end result is pretty good, I have access to everything via Jellyfin (if I'm traveling) and Kodi which I prefer locally with the JF plugin + native TVHeadEnd

I did document most of what I did maybe i'll write it up with screenshots and more step-by-step instructions in the future.

Cabernet: https://github.com/cabernetwork/cabernet/releases

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As the operator of a needlessly excessive IPTV solution in Plex (using Threadfin to combine my HDHR tuner, DizqueTV, ErsatzTV, and my IPTV service via m3u4u and EPG Best) it’s always fun to see other people’s solutions in this space. It can feel so satisfying when things come together!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

As the operator of a needlessly excessive IPTV solution in Plex (using Threadfin to combine my HDHR tuner, DizqueTV, ErsatzTV, and my IPTV service via m3u4u and EPG Best) it’s always fun to see other people’s solutions in this space. It can feel so satisfying when things come together!

it's a great feeling when it passes the partner and/or parents test.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does Saturday Night live on Apple TV+ include the cold open every week? I want to watch last night's cold open, but I'm in :canada: and having a hard time finding it.

Edit: apparently not :(

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 29, 2024

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Does Saturday Night live on Apple TV+ include the cold open every week? I want to watch last night's cold open, but I'm in :canada: and having a hard time finding it.

Edit: apparently not :(

Seriously? You get SNL but they cut out the cold open? How weird.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Croatoan posted:

Seriously? You get SNL but they cut out the cold open? How weird.

I was reading the summaries and some of them mention the cold open, but not this past one. Bit the bullet to check and no joy.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I was reading the summaries and some of them mention the cold open, but not this past one. Bit the bullet to check and no joy.

Should be on YouTube under their name, it’s the NFL one.

https://youtu.be/hjlIFPJUL5Q?si=CbEmAsJzhGOP8S0O

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Silly Burrito posted:

Should be on YouTube under their name, it’s the NFL one.

https://youtu.be/hjlIFPJUL5Q?si=CbEmAsJzhGOP8S0O

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

Country lockouts suck, sorry about that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is why the only true option is to steal everything until they put out a product that is better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is why the only true option is to steal everything until they put out a product that is better.

:hmmyes:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Prime showed me an ad so I canceled it. Time to join the burgeoning NAS crew.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Man, I realized that it has been almost 13 years since we got rid of cable and then it blew my mind how things have changed (but this thread called it over a decade ago).

We started streaming after my daughter was born. We used Netflix and Hulu (did Bing Rewards which gave us a free month of Hulu every month). There were only a few streaming options but every major channel website allowed you to watch their shows so we hooked a laptop up to the tv. I became the person that friends and family would ask when it came to cutting cable. Those two streaming options (and the little extra website streaming) were all that we needed to keep up to date and entertained.

Over the decade plus, the options have expanded greatly. Everything has been separated into their own walled gardens and those gardens have gotten more and more expensive. Hulu will probably be gone in a a year or two as it gets absorbed into Disney+. Netflix has more random Korean shows than anything else it seems (and is now on the top of our list to drop). Cable replacements (beyond Sling) have became numerous. Every individual sports team is looking at setting up their own streaming service (if they have not already….gently caress you Cubs).

I do not know where we head from here (hell, it seemed like streaming could have been a fad) but I appreciate all of the info this thread has given over the years.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://twitter.com/MittenDAmour/status/1781752084750074140

@MittenDAmour posted:

Can’t remember who told me this but it’s fixed the blight of Netflix playing tiny mouse fart dialogue audio drowned behind trumpeting background noise.

It thinks your TV is surround sound, so change this from English [Original] 5.1 to just English [Original]. You’re welcome.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

It will just continue until we get 3 giant streaming companies. I am wondering if this is the first step to Disney buying WBD. Zaslav has been wanting to selling WBD to Paramount but that is not going to work out.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/08/entertainment/disney-wbd-streaming-bundle-disney-hulu-max/index.html

quote:

Seeking further scale in the streaming business, Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery announced on Wednesday plans for a cross-studio bundle that would combine Disney+ and Disney’s Hulu with Warner Bros.’ Max, which includes an array of programming from that studio and its premium service, HBO.

Among other things, the collaborative effort would put the two major comic-book rivals, Disney’s Marvel and Warner Bros.’ DC, together in a cooperative venture. (Warner Bros. Discovery is also the parent of CNN.)

The bundle will be available on both an ad-free and ad-supported basis. In announcing the deal, the two companies asserted that the arrangement would provide consumers with “the greatest collection of entertainment for the best value in streaming.” Further details, including pricing, would be forthcoming, the companies said.

Although Disney and Warner Bros. have been among the leaders in attracting subscribers to their streaming services, profitability has been elusive as studios compete with Netflix and other rivals, spending heavily on programming in seeking to gain and retain them.

The easiest way to boost revenue is to raise prices, but that also risks causing more people to cancel their subscriptions.

The lowest priced Max plan is currently $9.99 a month with advertisements, Disney+ with Hulu is also offered with ads for $9.99 a month.

Disney recently added Hulu, which offers more adult-oriented lineup of programming, as a companion to Disney+, noting that Warner Bros. would introduce even more choices from their respective libraries.

Disney+ has more than 100 million subscribers, while Hulu reaches another 50 million. Including the linear version of HBO, Max reaches more than 97 million homes.

“On the heels of the very successful launch of Hulu on Disney+, this new bundle with Max will offer subscribers even more choice and value,” Joe Earley, president of direct-to-consumer for Disney, said. “This incredible new partnership puts subscribers first, giving them access to blockbuster films, originals, and three massive libraries featuring the very best brands and entertainment in streaming today.”

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Double post but gently caress it:

Netflix, AppleTV+ and Peacock are now bundling together.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/15/24157137/comcast-netflix-peacock-apple-tv-plus-streaming-bundle

quote:

Yet another streaming service bundle is on the horizon, this time courtesy of Comcast. Variety reports that the telecommunications giant is planning to launch a three-way bundle for Peacock, Netflix, and Apple TV Plus later this month, which will be available to Comcast broadband and TV customers at a discounted rate compared to subscribing to each service separately.

Speaking at an industry conference on Tuesday, Comcast CEO Brian Roberts said the new “StreamSaver” package will “come at a vastly reduced price to anything in the market today.” The price of the bundle hasn’t been revealed yet, nor has the type of subscription tier — ad-free or ad-supported — users can expect. The deal will likely be competitive regardless, as Roberts says the goal for StreamSaver isn’t just to tempt consumers with a better value deal, but also to “take some of the dollars out of” rival offerings.

The lowest monthly price for all three individual services is currently $22.97, which includes Netflix Basic with ads ($6.99 per month); Peacock’s deceptively named Premium tier which includes ads and current costs $5.99 per month; and the standard $9.99 Apple TV Plus plan.

Comcast’s bundle follows a similar three-way package between Disney Plus, Hulu, and Max announced last week as streaming bundles become more commonplace in an attempt to reduce cancellation rates after years of subscription fatigue.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Double post but gently caress it:

Netflix, AppleTV+ and Peacock are now bundling together.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/15/24157137/comcast-netflix-peacock-apple-tv-plus-streaming-bundle

My gut says a lot of these bundles will be with a yearly subscription and with ads.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just gonna stick with IPTV service till all this bullshit ends or at least levels out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Netflix, AppleTV+ and Peacock bundle isn't really a bundle in the traditional sense. It's just alternate billing through Comcast where Comcast subsidizes part of the cost/gets a bulk discount from the provider.

My Netflix and Apple TV+ currently bills through T-Mobile due to discounts, but I wouldn't really call them bundled. It's the same thing here.

What they are trying to combat here is the subbing of a service for a month, watching everything you want, and then cancelling until something else comes out. Now you have to cancel all three.

The easy thing here is only grab the deals you want. Even if you do this bundle, you are always free to cancel it and sub each service individually.

I keep an eye out for longer term discounts. So many of these services run like 40-60% off a yearly sub a few times a year, you just have to cancel and wait for another one to pop up. My MAX top tier no-ad with HDR plan right now was only $159 for the whole year (about $13/month which is cheaper than I payed for HBO back in the day) because cancelled and they sent out a "please come back" discount.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The Netflix, AppleTV+ and Peacock bundle isn't really a bundle in the traditional sense. It's just alternate billing through Comcast where Comcast subsidizes part of the cost/gets a bulk discount from the provider.

My Netflix and Apple TV+ currently bills through T-Mobile due to discounts, but I wouldn't really call them bundled.

In a business sense, it is exactly what bundling is. It's offering a discount for a similar set of products bought at once. Pure bundling is when it's all or nothing. Think basic cable channels. Mixed bundling is when you can choose components. i.e. add on Showtime or HBO. In this case it's probably a pure bundle where you buy all 3 for a set discount.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can see that, but this is not 100% the same since you are actually subscribed to 3 separate services with 3 separate logins with 3 different ways to access. The only difference between normal subscription and this is that instead of your Visa it says billed through Comcast.

Contrast that to something like the Disney+ bundle where you have a unified login between Disney+ and Hulu with all your Hulu content being available under the Disney+ app with unified account management.

It's also not quite like basic cable since basic cable would have all of that stuff is behind the cable provider's interface and cable company's account interface.

Basically, with pure cable bundles you don't have a direct relationship with the downstream content distributor whereas in this case you do.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Burden posted:

My gut says a lot of these bundles will be with a yearly subscription and with ads.

They always include the versions with ads, making them loving suck.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, the Hulu, Disney+, Maxx bundle they specifically said there would be the choice between ads and no-ads. That said, Maxx has two no-ad tiers so it's unknown if you have the option to get the one with 4k HDR.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Man it would be cool if we could get a bundle that had all the subscription services in one like even ones we don’t want.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If they’re so concerned about people doing the “join for a month or two then cancel” thing they could always offer better annual pricing instead of doing a flash sale, twice a year, for new customers only. Just a thought.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

Man it would be cool if we could get a bundle that had all the subscription services in one like even ones we don’t want.

And also I want like a thousand options for things to watch, and I'm okay with having some content on-demand for a small fee.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

qirex posted:

If they’re so concerned about people doing the “join for a month or two then cancel” thing they could always offer better annual pricing instead of doing a flash sale, twice a year, for new customers only. Just a thought.

I mean, the standard discount is usually 20% give or take which isn't insignificant. But I do feel like 30% or so should be more standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

And also I want like a thousand options for things to watch, and I'm okay with having some content on-demand for a small fee.

They could charge extra for HD content too.

Oh wait they are actually doing that again.