Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arrath posted:

Sony saw Xbox studios atching flak for shutting down devs and said hey let's get us some bad PR too

Thing is they got bad PR for selling a game that would require PSN in non-PSN regions so did what people said they should've done and aren't selling it in non-PSN regions. And their whole online infrastructure is built around PSN and its toolset so bringing that over to their PC ports makes perfect sense now they're putting out games that actually have multiplayer components (I think the closest any of their ports got to having any kind of multiplayer up to now was Returnal and no-one bought Returnal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

njsykora posted:

Thing is they got bad PR for selling a game that would require PSN in non-PSN regions so did what people said they should've done and aren't selling it in non-PSN regions. And their whole online infrastructure is built around PSN and its toolset so bringing that over to their PC ports makes perfect sense now they're putting out games that actually have multiplayer components (I think the closest any of their ports got to having any kind of multiplayer up to now was Returnal and no-one bought Returnal).

Side note, returnal was solid. Not a fantastic game, but definitely at least good. It had a cool vibe, too. Worth getting on sale.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arrath posted:

Sony saw Xbox studios atching flak for shutting down devs and said hey let's get us some bad PR too

other way around: the PSN debacle started with its implementation with respect to Helldivers 2, and it gained enough attention that they had to backtrack* on it, and then Microsoft shutting down studios distracted from that story somewhat, and then the story about PC Ghosts of Tsushima not being sold in non-PSN countries broke.

___

* as I understand it, they walked back the update that would oblige players to link their PSN and Steam accounts, but you still can't play PS5 Helldivers in countries that don't have PSN

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

UHD posted:

and if past is prologue then rosetta is probably going away within a year too

Rosetta 1 was licensed software, hence why they wanted to ditch it as soon as they could.

Rosetta 2 was developed in-house and thus not nearly the urgency.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

They killed Objective C, they didn't give a gently caress about Boot Camp once they had their new Silicon, they dumped Intel as soon as they could... These are the biggest examples, but every OS release, something changes where enough apps are like "quick update to comply with new Apple feature or everything breaks". This is pretty neat for consumers in general, but maybe not for game devs who live hand to mouth from release to release

I mean, Apple Metal (their DirectX equivalent API) is 10 years old. Is it looking long in the tooth, are they gonna keep supporting it forever ? who knows? Not you, average developer, subject to the whims of Apple, roll dice!

Eh, some of these are overblown in my opinion:

- they've supported Boot Camp for 17 years now and have continued to push updates for Windows 10 users using it; if by "didn't give a gently caress about Boot Camp", you mean they didn't update it for Windows 11, sure, but Windows 11 released almost a year after they announced Apple Silicon, so I'm not going to blame them for not wanting to put major effort into updating it for a new Windows OS when they were planning to transition their entire stack off of x86 (and honestly, I've always been surprised that they actually supported Boot Camp as they did, since it was originally intended to be a gentle transition for Windows users to make their way to macOS over time)

- they used x86 via Intel for 14 years, which kinda flies in the face of the idea that they dumped them as fast as they could; there was a lot of chatter in the mid-2010s that Intel's stagnation was pissing Apple off because it was holding up where they wanted to go, so again, not sure anyone can blame them for wanting to move on from Intel because Intel was more interested in dumping cash into dividends than they were into R&D

And regarding Metal, just within the last year and a half, they've added MetalFX upscaling, path tracing, etc., so seems a bit silly to say it's looking long in the tooth.

The biggest issue with Apple is that they just haven't traditionally seen gaming as being a big enough draw for them to develop significant resources for it, but I'd argue that clearly something is changing, since they're putting a lot of time, money, and effort into adding in both software and hardware features that are ideally suited for gaming. Maybe nothing comes of it, but where there's clearly some smoke...

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 17, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Canned Sunshine posted:

Rosetta 1 was licensed software, hence why they wanted to ditch it as soon as they could.

Rosetta 2 was developed in-house and thus not nearly the urgency.

maybe it won't be as urgent this time, but i think there's other applicable precedent like apple killing off support for 32bit apps

there was no reason for that other than apple not wanting to support two versions of the system libraries anymore, and rosetta also requires them to do that

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

njsykora posted:

It's not just PR, selling a game that advertises features you're not allowed to access in your country opens you up for consumer fraud charges and equivalent local punishments. They'd need to rerelease under a totally different SKU which is not easy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So why doesn't the PS Store exist in all these countries anyways? Apparently it's a poo poo ton of countries that Steam operates in, so I'm assuming it's not a bunch of places on sanctions lists or that are otherwise impossible to work with their banking systems etc.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cyrano4747 posted:

So why doesn't the PS Store exist in all these countries anyways? Apparently it's a poo poo ton of countries that Steam operates in, so I'm assuming it's not a bunch of places on sanctions lists or that are otherwise impossible to work with their banking systems etc.

That I have no idea. Economy of scale, or maybe the PSN store would need to do currency conversions and location pricing and they just don't want to. Local support maybe? Valve spends a ton of time and effort in maintaining these different store locations and its not unreasonable if Sony doesn't want to do that. But then, don't require it for your games.....

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Lockback posted:

But then, don't require it for your games.....

Yeah, their proper games worked just fine without PSN

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lockback posted:

That I have no idea. Economy of scale, or maybe the PSN store would need to do currency conversions and location pricing and they just don't want to. Local support maybe? Valve spends a ton of time and effort in maintaining these different store locations and its not unreasonable if Sony doesn't want to do that. But then, don't require it for your games.....

I mean, this is Sony we're talking about, not some indie studio. They're a major international corporation that already does business in tons of countries world-wide, and already manages a digital storefront and distribution for them. They've been one of the three major players in the console wars for decades now. I don't know how Sony's video game sales compare to Steam's, but I wouldn't be too surprised whichever one was larger, and honestly that's me assuming that Steam has a fairly dominating international presence on PC.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Sony doesn't care to perform business in those countries/regions. That's all we can really infer from stuff.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

they're a consumer electronics/hardware-first corpo - don't think it's too surprising they ignore countries which probably don't exist for them in terms of hardware sales

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Canned Sunshine posted:

The biggest issue with Apple is that they just haven't traditionally seen gaming as being a big enough draw for them to develop significant resources for it, but I'd argue that clearly something is changing, since they're putting a lot of time, money, and effort into adding in both software and hardware features that are ideally suited for gaming. Maybe nothing comes of it, but where there's clearly some smoke...

this isn't the first time apple's flirted with gaming on the mac and historically it's gone nowhere because apple is reluctant to actually invest in games themselves. their proton-like is a marketing tool to game devs for porting but it's not available to regular-rear end users to play games with because apple wants native ports. just not enough to actually invest in them directly. and until they do, very few game devs are going to give a poo poo how efficient or powerful or feature-packed the platform is because the return on investment is still not worth it.

nvidia invests heavily in devs to implement RTX to sell GPUs. apple needs to do the same. no one is buying a mac for lies of p.

repiv posted:

maybe it won't be as urgent this time, but i think there's other applicable precedent like apple killing off support for 32bit apps

there was no reason for that other than apple not wanting to support two versions of the system libraries anymore, and rosetta also requires them to do that

this is what I assume will happen yeah. a lot of games in my steam library ostensibly with mac ports cannot run natively because they're 32-bit (ex: the entire half-life and portal franchises). the mac port of steam itself is intel. but I have no reason to believe apple won't kill rosetta anyway both to avoid the cost of maintaining intel support and to encourage any remaining intel mac users to finally upgrade.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MagusDraco posted:

Sony doesn't care to perform business in those countries/regions. That's all we can really infer from stuff.

The list of countries where PSN is available is basically identical to the countries where Xbox Game Pass is available, so yeah it's probably some raw cost/benefit analysis that says its not worth the time it would take to make sure you're compliant with any local data laws and currency conversions.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So it really seems like there's a good chance the 5000 series will release by Fall or maybe even late Summer, and be a multi-chip architecture.

I'm really excited. If Nvidia finally nails multi-chip, who even knows how powerful this generation could be. We know they've been working on a solution like this for at least a few generations, so this could essentially be the culmination of all of that work.

On top of that, Nvidia has the attention of the world right now and has every incentive to blow it out of the water with this year's architecture. I doubt they'll hold back.

Every indication is that they want to get this stuff out ASAP while the iron's hot, so if the stars align it's not crazy to think we could see the first cards in late summer. It's already almost June so we see a relatively soon-ish announcement.

tehinternet posted:

Side note, returnal was solid. Not a fantastic game, but definitely at least good. It had a cool vibe, too. Worth getting on sale.

I adore Returnal. I think it's at least 8.5/10 for what it is. It also looks loving incredible on a high fps OLED due to its dark palette. Love that game!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm thinking the 5090 or whatever the $2k card will be will release late fall, say November ish. The more affordable cards will be early 2025.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lockback posted:

I'm thinking the 5090 or whatever the $2k card will be will release late fall, say November ish. The more affordable cards will be early 2025.

I'm hoping that it is both $3,000 or more and also a substantially better value for performance than the 4090 because the discourse around a GPU like that would be unhinged.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Lockback posted:

Kopite (an extremely reliable supply side guy out of SE Asia) recently said straight up that the 5080 is actually coming before the 5090. He's normally right about this kind of thing.

Personally I see it before November, latest October imo for the first sku, but I think we could see the first sku as early as September.

e:

https://x.com/kopite7kimi/status/1787645742510993853
(I get that he has a typo but he is ESL. This guy is rock solid for Nvidia leaks and has been for years)

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm hoping that it is both $3,000 or more and also a substantially better value for performance than the 4090 because the discourse around a GPU like that would be unhinged.

lol

The funny part is, it's not impossible. If they really did solve multi-chip, who knows how it could scale. This generation could be a huge uplift. :shrug: who knows what we'll see. I am very much looking forward to the reveal and hope it happens in June if we're lucky.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 17, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

repiv posted:

While I do think it was pre-mature personally, they supported both for over a decade, and clearly they had decided that Apple Silicon was not going to support 32-bit applications. So obviously it's hindsight now, but they clearly were trying to make the transition prior to the eventual transition to AS-only systems, at which point they'd stop supporting it anyway. Do I think they should have kept it up until the last Intel Mac is officially not supported? Yeah, but I can see where it makes sense from their perspective, and it's not like they're Microsoft, and needing to support legacy software that's 30 years old.

I think it's a bad comparison though to compare 32-bit vs 64-bit support to Intel vs. AS in terms of the macOS libraries, since there hadn't been a 32-bit only Intel Mac since I believe the initial Intel-based Mac mini, and everything since was 64-bit. But there's a very large Intel Mac user base, which is Intel Macs as old as 2018 are still being supported for probably at least another year or two, and speculation is that the 2019 Mac Pro and 2020 Intel Macs will see support until 2027 or 2028.

UHD posted:

this isn't the first time apple's flirted with gaming on the mac and historically it's gone nowhere because apple is reluctant to actually invest in games themselves. their proton-like is a marketing tool to game devs for porting but it's not available to regular-rear end users to play games with because apple wants native ports. just not enough to actually invest in them directly. and until they do, very few game devs are going to give a poo poo how efficient or powerful or feature-packed the platform is because the return on investment is still not worth it.

nvidia invests heavily in devs to implement RTX to sell GPUs. apple needs to do the same. no one is buying a mac for lies of p.

I'd argue this is the first time that Apple has flirted with gaming on Mac with actual, seemingly-significant hardware improvements and options. And yeah, I agree, they need to step up and prove they actually want to do so. And I think you're kinda intentionally or otherwise, overlooking that it's pretty well known that Apple is basically directly feeding the CodeWeaver crew in terms of Crossover support/improvements, so it isn't like they aren't trying to assist in some way. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if they just outright buy CodeWeavers at some point.

I will point out that that Apple is by-far the world's richest tech company, so if anyone wanted to actually spend the capital to jumpstart development in this area, it's Apple. If anything, they could probably get broader game support AND see more performance than AMD given the financial differences between them. :haw:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Canned Sunshine posted:

If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if they just outright buy CodeWeavers at some point.

hopefully not because codeweavers is doing nearly all of the actual work on proton, and apple buying them out would probably pull the rug on that

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Taima posted:

~5000 series rumours~

The current understanding is that 5080 will come first and 5090 will follow 2-3 weeks later, in terms of actual availability. I haven’t seen a reliable source pin an actual timeframe on it other than “2024” though. If Nvidia follow their previous pattern it’ll be September ish, but who’s to say.

To speculate personally, the gap between 5080 and 5090 to me suggests that they think that the 5080 sales would suffer if the 5090 is available at the same time so there’s potential for another huge gap between -80 and -90 like there was with the 4000 series. If the rumours of the 5090 being a dual chiplet design with basically two 5080 dies linked together are true, I can see it being that way.

Either way I hope they are not completely terrible because I’m waiting with a bunch of saved money to pull the trigger on a new system. :ohdear:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
It's hardly a problem for Nvidia if sales of the 5080 suffer because people buy 5090s instead. In any case, rumour has it that the 5090 has twice the cores of the 5080. If the pricing ends up at something like $2000/$1200 or $1800/$1000, I think that's a big enough gap to prevent the 5090 eating too much into 5080 sales.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I don't think I'll be buying a new GPU until midway through the next console gen.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The 4090 is getting long in the tooth can’t wait for the 5090 to make performance acceptable

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I can’t run CP77 at 4K with my 3080 due to lack of VRAM so clearly the right idea is to spend 2000 dollars or more on a 5090.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna need a 5090 to run Vampire Survivors at 8k

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

It's hardly a problem for Nvidia if sales of the 5080 suffer because people buy 5090s instead. In any case, rumour has it that the 5090 has twice the cores of the 5080. If the pricing ends up at something like $2000/$1200 or $1800/$1000, I think that's a big enough gap to prevent the 5090 eating too much into 5080 sales.

If the 5090 is a huge leap over the 4090 why would they sell it at just 2k usd?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Animal posted:

The 4090 is getting long in the tooth can’t wait for the 5090 to make performance acceptable
for every freak like this, there's a freak like me who's waiting for juuust the right moment to replace my 1070

perfect balance in the cosmos

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Animal posted:

this is a real take on reddit somewhere, right now

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

ijyt posted:

this is a real take on reddit somewhere, right now
most of battlestation posturing on reddit is basically poor-shaming and flexing the fact that you don't have much else to spend your money on

it's pretty gross once you notice people giving people crap for not buying the latest overpriced hardware to put in their pink rgb pc

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm gonna need a 5090 to run Vampire Survivors at 8k

My most played game is Baldurs Gate. No not 3 I mean the one from 1998 that will run on a toaster.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Animal posted:

If you can't play CP2077 at 4K/144 FPS w/full path tracing then why even bother?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

ijyt posted:

I don't think I'll be buying a new GPU until midway through the next console gen.

That’s what I thought too

Then $1600 MSRP 4090s became $2000 MSRP 4090s

Probably going for a launch 5090 that I’ll keep for three generations like I did with my 2080Ti.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wait they actually increased MSRP for the 4090?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

MH Knights posted:

If you can't play CP2077 at 4K/144 FPS w/full path tracing then why even bother?

Also with increased ray and bounce count mods.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

PirateBob posted:

If the 5090 is a huge leap over the 4090 why would they sell it at just 2k usd?

The 5080 will cost $1,500 and the 5090 $2,500.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Flowing Thot posted:

My most played game is Baldurs Gate. No not 3 I mean the one from 1998 that will run on a toaster.

To be fair it's a really good game. It's gonna look great on a 5090.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

wait they actually increased MSRP for the 4090?

Nvidia didn't. Many manufacturers raised their prices six months ago though, around when the shortages started happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
*when they started shipping them all off to China