Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

No, the fact that -you- don't wanna wear a thong is because you're still afraid of 9/11!

Spokes posted:

has anybody started doing non-programming DAT tasks and switched over to coding? i've been doing various chatbot training stuff for a few months and realized i probably have (or can fake) the coding chops to make more money but i'm not sure where i would sign up or do a qualification or anything

I am self-taught at coding and very inexperienced. I was working non-coding tasks for about 2 months, refreshed my basic python knowledge and took the qualification a few months back. Passed and about a day later coding tasks showed up. I think back then the qualification was in the work tasks area and not the qualifications area at the top. I’m not sure what I had in my profile though, I’ll have to check if I put down coding or python when I first signed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How can I get the easy stuff on Outlier that pays less money but takes less time? I was accepted as a Tier 3 generalist at $40/hr, but it's a bit much.

I feel like all the stuff I do in the training is simply and easy. Then you get to the task and it's like... a 2 hour task that. you have 6 hours to complete. I am trying to do this around work, I don't ever know if I have a solid 2 hours in a day to complete a task.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does Outlier have a minimum required hour threshold? Thinking of applying this weekend for a science(physics)/math position or even coding. Still have plenty of easy work on DAT but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket in case they unceremoniously stop assigning work for whatever reason.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I just had an experience of not-so-legitimate online moneymaking: a company that offered to pay for adding products to the shopping cart on Ubuy and sending a screenshot of having done so as proof. The reasoning was that this'd boost the product's rankings on the site, and thus, provide value to their client (who was the seller of the product). This would've been fine, but when I agreed to do so, they also sent me tasks that were clearly money laundering: "send x USDT to this account, we'll send it back + commission". I'd already heard of Tether being used for money laundering, and in general, "send money and we'll send more back" has to be shady, or it doesn't make sense as a business, so I just skipped these tasks and only did the add-to-cart tasks.

Well, for a couple of days, this was a good arrangement, and I thought I'd found a way to earn a little extra with fairly little work. However, I soon found I'd been removed from the "Command & Control group", where the links to the products to be added to cart were distributed, and when I asked my contact about it, they said it was because I'd not done the "merchant tasks" (the sending money, or USDT, anyway, around). They declined letting me just do the clicking tasks, and also didn't pay what I'd amassed from the tasks I'd done thus far.

So anyway, I was left wondering if there's something like this, but legitimate? I mean, "gaming an algorithm for money" would make sense in a world of pay-per-click advertising and online store platforms with product popularity rankings. So, is there any not-fraudulent company buying clicks..?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

So, is there any not-fraudulent company buying clicks..?

Broadly speaking, there are not non-fraudulent companies doing fraud.

If you're looking for a job in crime, it should be better paid than this sort of thing.

(and any company even touching Tether are money launderers, broadly speaking)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I just had an experience of not-so-legitimate online moneymaking: a company that offered to pay for adding products to the shopping cart on Ubuy and sending a screenshot of having done so as proof. The reasoning was that this'd boost the product's rankings on the site, and thus, provide value to their client (who was the seller of the product). This would've been fine, but when I agreed to do so, they also sent me tasks that were clearly money laundering: "send x USDT to this account, we'll send it back + commission". I'd already heard of Tether being used for money laundering, and in general, "send money and we'll send more back" has to be shady, or it doesn't make sense as a business, so I just skipped these tasks and only did the add-to-cart tasks.

Well, for a couple of days, this was a good arrangement, and I thought I'd found a way to earn a little extra with fairly little work. However, I soon found I'd been removed from the "Command & Control group", where the links to the products to be added to cart were distributed, and when I asked my contact about it, they said it was because I'd not done the "merchant tasks" (the sending money, or USDT, anyway, around). They declined letting me just do the clicking tasks, and also didn't pay what I'd amassed from the tasks I'd done thus far.

So anyway, I was left wondering if there's something like this, but legitimate? I mean, "gaming an algorithm for money" would make sense in a world of pay-per-click advertising and online store platforms with product popularity rankings. So, is there any not-fraudulent company buying clicks..?

There's a ton of scammers and it's best to find online money making sites that are vetted by others. We used to have a thread for the get-paid-to sites which involved watching videos or clicking on ads or running apps on phones (which would basically play videos or ads). A lot of the big ones went under, stopped being worth doing, or moved to crypto payments only (ugh) so on the whole it's not as worthwhile as it once was, but the beermoney subreddit still has a list of the top sites they recommend for that kind of thing. You won't make much and a lot of the sites are now about doing surveys and stuff instead of passively letting videos and ads play but it's possible to make some money if you try. It won't be the $300-400 a month you used to be able to make nearly passively, the big sites stopped being decent in 2018-2019.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This is reminding me of Swagbucks TV. You'd watch a video and get 1/10 of 1 cent for each video that you viewed. I quickly realized that they gave you the credit after being on the page for about 40 seconds, which was to watch the ad and about 10 seconds of the video. I installed some flash blocker app so that the video never even loaded, then used an auto refresher to keep refreshing the page every 45 seconds. I set it up on a computer on a rack at work without a monitor or anything plugged into it, and pretty much let it do its thing. I'd check it like once a week to make sure it was still going and earning money. Swagbucks caught on and stopped it after I did it for about 9 months. I think I made about $600 in Amazon Gift Cards from that alone. Good times...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
DAT wants to pay me to learn the Swift programming language. I was thinking about learning this anyway so I guess why not.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So, uh, just wanted to put this out there.

With transcription turning into a ghost town I've also jumped on board the annotation train and I've been getting some fun gigs.

But I just applied for a new one and... well...

They're basically asking us to Voight-Kampff LLMs and try to get them to give inappropriate responses.

So, like, if I accidentally create Roy Batty or Skynet or something I wanted to apologize to everyone in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

signed up for da and am waiting to see if my assessmet passes muster. Might try signing on to taskup as well