Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I mean, that situation has played out probably hundreds of thousands of times in this games existence. I’m sure they can tell when people are shadow-stepped or summoned very easily. I’d bet that’s not what is getting people banned. The easiest explanation is usually the correct one. People are cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
bold to assume daybreak is competent enough to notice and actively ban people, i would agree

on the otherhand, it is daybreak, and their annual 'be active and and make money' time of the year is usually around TLP launch season

e: daybreak, darkpaw, whoever the half-dozen people assigned to this game are these days

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

RCarr posted:

I mean, that situation has played out probably hundreds of thousands of times in this games existence. I’m sure they can tell when people are shadow-stepped or summoned very easily. I’d bet that’s not what is getting people banned. The easiest explanation is usually the correct one. People are cheating.

Pulling from the team who runs Quarm, they have a "port" detector that works fairly well, they are often looking for movment greater then 1 shadowstep however. So catching port cheats is almost trival for daybreak. That said i doubt the logs are good enough if 3 mobs shadow step you in the same server tic.

That said, its labor intensive to hunt down port hackers and Daybreak just does not have the man power.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I quite like the announcement of level 50 heroic characters being available to buy in PoP - nice way to get a box you can instantly group with.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
They are definitely false-tagging people not using MQ. We have 1 guy we let join because he's really cool who only uses ISBoxer, and he got a couple of his characters suspended mid-raid during an event where you get blown off a cliff across the zone if you fail an emote. He is 100% not cheating and still took the L

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

MrTheDevious posted:

They are definitely false-tagging people not using MQ. We have 1 guy we let join because he's really cool who only uses ISBoxer, and he got a couple of his characters suspended mid-raid during an event where you get blown off a cliff across the zone if you fail an emote. He is 100% not cheating and still took the L

was it a 24hr thing? or was this the recent wave on fv?

mq users suspect the fv thing had nothing to do with mq and was actually about people having duped items in their bags and dbg being incompetent.

if it was the 24hr thing that was most likely a false positive with the new warp detection. ive been hit myself by it and i dont use warp. i just pmed the cm on discord and told her how it happened. didnt bother disputing my 24hr block at all

the two false positives we know about right now are getting feared and the server not knowing what to do with you and sending you to 0,0,0 /loc and the one that got me die in a zone you are bound in and release far away from t hat spot. also it doesnt seem to just hit you on the first time of any of these it takes multiples.

RCarr posted:

i freely admit i use mq and i also used warping prior to the 24hr block. when i got my 24hr block from bind rushing something i was 100% not warping. At first i thought everyone saying they werent warping were lying. Then replicatable 24hr blocks w/o using warp started getting reported.

if you want to test it yourself make a level 1 in west freeport then bind it at the zone line then just go smack a guard and release quickly over and over after 10ish times it will get you hit with the block. the block so far as we know does nothing but automating stoping you from warping for 24hrs we suspect it will eventually go to 7 days when they iron out the kinks.

suuma posted:

One of my friend's ate a ban for "warping" around Plane of Fear. After pulling the whole zone.

The zone where every scareling shadowsteps you, and every mob summons :v:

I don't have reason to believe he was actually using MQ to warp, but I guess that's still possible.
its a 24hr block not a ban and its very common in plane of fear due to the shadow step / fear from mobs causing the server to freak out and put you at 0.0,0 /loc . if you plan to play teek or tormax dont pull for your guild unless vaniki reports it being fixed the week between patch and launch

snergle fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 12, 2024

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I guess this will be like the FTE stuff and will get rapidly tweaked when the new TLPs generate enough noise.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

snergle posted:

mq users suspect the fv thing had nothing to do with mq and was actually about people having duped items in their bags and dbg being incompetent.

Is this anything more than MQ users just being in denial? I myself got whacked with 4 1 week suspensions, but I was running MQ2 heavily for the prior few weeks.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea any other excuse doesn’t really make sense.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
I swear Vox is the unofficial MQ allowed server. I don't use it (I played with it for a few months and really only used it to get 350 tradeskills on 2 toons, because gently caress manual combines like it is 2001), but half of my guild uses it and several of them bot several full groups afk farming 24/7 and they've yet to catch any kind of suspension. Granted I only started playing again last November after not playing for 2 years (played phinny to live and had to break) but haven't seen one person catch any kind of disciplinary action.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That’s usually how it is on any server. You have to really abuse it by warping, etc to get any kind of punishment.

Goldwolf
Oct 17, 2003
I love cookies
I'm planning to play on Teek but haven't touched EQ1 since 2001. Definitely concerned with finding a group who is willing to play with someone who has zero knowledge of the game, but not letting that deter me from having some fun.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

Goldwolf posted:

I'm planning to play on Teek but haven't touched EQ1 since 2001. Definitely concerned with finding a group who is willing to play with someone who has zero knowledge of the game, but not letting that deter me from having some fun.

Most leveling PUGs are 5 people with little/no idea what they're doing and 1 person guiding everyone to a good exp camp. You'll be fine. The sweatiest players outlevel the rest of us in the first 5-6 hours so most people you run in to while leveling are hella chill.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Yeah the people that would get upset about their group members level of knowledge are going to have statics that have been set for the past month. I myself won’t be in any of those because I can’t commit to 8-12 hour days launch through to Sunday. There are going to be plenty, plenty of chill PUGs on Teek and because both the kunark and classic leveling paths will be open people can really spread out.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
That's, of course, if you can even get past the login queue. Have a feeling is going to be weeks before you'll be able to login without waiting. Unless they decide to throw up a Teek clone.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yea the servers always crap out the 1st couple days when there is 2 of them, this year is only 1

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

RCarr posted:

That’s usually how it is on any server. You have to really abuse it by warping, etc to get any kind of punishment.

the suspensions are lottery based.

MooselanderII posted:

Is this anything more than MQ users just being in denial? I myself got whacked with 4 1 week suspensions, but I was running MQ2 heavily for the prior few weeks.

theres some truth to it because it only hit fv users and i know who a dude who doesnt mq but does do dupe poo poo. all other waves are aimed at the new tlp for about the first 4 months or are lottery based where they just throw the list of mq users in a hat and pull out 500.

that said it did hit mostly mq users but im my experince most mq users dont draw a line at doing poo poo like that.

RCarr posted:

until last month their warp policy was a gm has to witness it. thats why oakwynd was a cesspool of warping. this is straight from hollys mouth when riz was in luclin. there was a ton of people breaking the agreement that mq was ok on our server if you dont warp or afk. then in 2021 they started hitting everyone for mq for 9 months.

they now have warp detection and it seems like they got the two main false positives removed in this patch so if you see someone warping its probably lag. esp if you just saw it on seq or mq map because that poo poo doesnt update over very long distances

mq devs also just enforced a no truebox rule by making it crash you out if youre on a truebox server. go check oakywnds population its insanely down. in a few weeks when omen drops it probably goes up. also teek will probably be mq free until someone figures out what exactly is causing the crash and compiles their own or until omens to.

Goldwolf posted:

dont worry about that just play. mischief is the highest pop server and its very far into the tlp cycle. I assume teek wont be the same but will be very high pop until it reaches live. i did the same thing in 2020 with riz and its been a blast. I will say standard modern mmo rules are true though for getting / finding a group. Always make your own because 99% of people dont want to make the group.

snergle fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 17, 2024

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Teek is going to have a much larger pop than mischief at launch too.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

MF_James posted:

Teek is going to have a much larger pop than mischief at launch too.

Going in this time we all know just how good Mischief was, also there is no 2nd server to split the load.

It's going to be a loving train wreck this time.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I wonder if we'll hit over 30 picks in some zones on Teek ?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Baconroll posted:

I wonder if we'll hit over 30 picks in some zones on Teek ?

Teek has free trade, it will break 30 picks per zone in the popular areas, if the server doesn’t break.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why would they do Teek and EQ2 Origins at the same time :negative:

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur
I want to try my luck with three boxing Teek, only problem is it is a truebox server. I have no idea if it will work with a simple vpn. Help sperglords, you are my last hope.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

Gruknor posted:

I want to try my luck with three boxing Teek, only problem is it is a truebox server. I have no idea if it will work with a simple vpn. Help sperglords, you are my last hope.

oh you mean for running all accounts on the same pc. i think a simple vpn works. never heard of people doing anything super crazy on previous TLPs to avoid the truebox thing.

Snotty By Nature fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 20, 2024

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Gruknor posted:

Truebox just means one client per computer, you can still run multiple computers and play multiple characters from one house/internet connection. No VPN required, they don't do IP blocking (but I assume they do IP correlation between accounts when it comes time to hand out bans for MQ).

Folks run things like HotKeyNet and Parsec to drive multiple characters instead of full blown MQ as well, there are varying tiers of multiboxing and automation with MQ being at the top.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I was doing truebox using parsec and ionBC. Really with ionBC set up well you barely need to have parsec.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I told myself I didn't have time to play EQ again, but the siren song is strong.

Just finished dusting off the 6-box setup I built for Mischief, one of the boxes was randomly power cycling on me, might need to press the ROG ally into service, but it seems to have stopped? We shall see.

Using multiplicity for most stuff. I put major actions like follow, assist, or casting macros on the numpads for easy access. Still run a VPN to avoid the silly key broadcast protection disconnects. I put assist on the same button for each so I can mash through everyone quickly, and you can very easily trip their detection, even doing it manually.

rally posted:

I was doing truebox using parsec and ionBC. Really with ionBC set up well you barely need to have parsec.

I've not tried parsec, does it do anything special that something like multiplicity does not, assuming you've got all the PCs under one desk?

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy
Hi all, I've really enjoyed the TLPs over the years, and I am ready to jump into a new one.

I'm a former raider turned casual dungeon-crawling boxer. Circa 2019, I discovered TLPs, and I started with a single toon on Mangler, and did guild raid content, loved it. However, the 3x to 2x per week hard time commitment was tough for me and my work. With the next TLP, I decided to focus on boxing so I could play EQ on my own time, so I tried a two box on Aradune. Still did a casual guild on Aradune, but focused more on boxing through the content. FWIW, I have always done true box on separate computers, and I've been fully compliant with DBG rules. Onto the next TLP, I then did a three box on Thornblade, but this time it was completed solo. It was probably my most successful run (absent raid content), completed a ton of dungeons and quests. In the last six months, as a latecomer to Oakwynd, Ive gone with a four box and loved it. As I said, I like to roll through the dungeons and quests, trying to farm whatever and ask much as I need, and then move onto the next item or quest objective. I avoid buying items and just work through the content as I can -- trying to keep the enjoyment on the dungeon crawling and looter aspects of the game.

I am reaching out to see if any 2 boxer might be interested in teaming up for either Teek or Tormax. I'd like someone who would be interested in setting up a list of objectives for items and quests, and just working through the content. We can work on setting up a good and balanced six toon comp. Maybe doing this as a weekly or couple times per week as an ongoing venture subject to our mutual work schedules. I'm open to voice chat but usually group chat in game is what works best for me.

If you're interested, please feel free to PM.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Some level 1 questions:

Multiplicity, a VPN, and two subscriptions is all I need to get started two-boxing on a TrueBox server?

I've already done solo enchanter and solo bard in previous years so this is the next thing I would try but I'm brand new at it.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

You don't need a VPN if you have two computers each running an account. VPN makes it so you don't get booted for using the same input at the same time on two accounts is all.

You can get by without it for just 2 boxing. Just be mindful of your button presses.

Also I have read that "mouse without borders" basically does what Multiplicity does for free. I have not personally tested that though.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 21, 2024

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

BabelFish posted:

I told myself I didn't have time to play EQ again, but the siren song is strong.

Just finished dusting off the 6-box setup I built for Mischief, one of the boxes was randomly power cycling on me, might need to press the ROG ally into service, but it seems to have stopped? We shall see.

Using multiplicity for most stuff. I put major actions like follow, assist, or casting macros on the numpads for easy access. Still run a VPN to avoid the silly key broadcast protection disconnects. I put assist on the same button for each so I can mash through everyone quickly, and you can very easily trip their detection, even doing it manually.

I've not tried parsec, does it do anything special that something like multiplicity does not, assuming you've got all the PCs under one desk?

I haven’t used multiplicity, but parsec lets you keep a bunch of headless boxes and remote into them with low latency sessions. IonBC is similar to hotkey net and is integrated into everquest really seamlessly. You can create hot bars that use the same in game macro syntax for each character and have them all up on your main screen. Once you’re in place you can easily run all non melee group functions from the main box and one global hot key bar. It works by actually “typing out” the commands on the remote characters and I’ve used it extensively on TLP without problems.

It gets harder to manage melee characters without actually interacting with their UI. If I’m being really ambitious I place the group such that I can pull into a corner and just assist without ever moving. I like just running 3 boxes like enc, cleric, wiz and then filling in when I find people.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Malaria posted:

You don't need a VPN if you have two computers each running an account. VPN makes it so you don't get booted for using the same input at the same time on two accounts is all.

You can get by without it for just 2 boxing. Just be mindful of your button presses.

Also I have read that "mouse without borders" basically does what Multiplicity does for free. I have not personally tested that though.

Mouse without borders works okay, but I had issues with sudden high sensitivity when steering a character by holding right mouse click.

Input Director is another free option that I used, but this also has a major issue with mouse focus not properly unhooking from the EQ on the main PC. Meaning your mouse would be moving and clicking on poo poo on your main while focus was on a box. I tolerated it since EQ let’s you do most things with just the keyboard.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Elephunk posted:

Some level 1 questions:

Multiplicity, a VPN, and two subscriptions is all I need to get started two-boxing on a TrueBox server?

I've already done solo enchanter and solo bard in previous years so this is the next thing I would try but I'm brand new at it.

Honestly for 2 boxes you do not need any sort of software KVM unless you live in a shoebox, just have 2 keyboards/half keyboards and 2 mice.

There's input director but it has the issue mentioned above, but there's a fix for it named like X-Mouse or something like that.

I didn't start using multiplicity till I went over 3 characters, and I was using half keyboards for 2 and wireless mice just sitting on the corner of my desk. You don't do a ton of mouse movements with the other boxes, it'll mostly be mashing your assist and casting macros. Once you get to MUCH later it gets a bit more intense (we're talking 3ish years later)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 21, 2024

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Not a free solution but if it’s not a fling— several logitech mice (the multidevice or Mx line) have a software package (Logitech flow) that works really well for fluidly gliding from screen to screen and I’ve never had problems with it. If you put dongles on each device it’s better but Bluetooth works with minimal latency added. If you’re bt swapping over to a toaster you notice it and want the dongles. Accommodates three devices. I just use two of those to get to everything.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Parsec is so much better than every workaround listed above fwiw, it just works without fussing with anything really.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Multiplicity works as good as it says it does too.

I bought it last year when it was on sale. Its super easy to setup.

I just decided I don't really like boxing. It's too much work.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I guy in my guild stuck in the queue logged into Tormax(the no special rules TLP). It has less than 400 people on it.

Teek had 390ish of just Shaman. The queue is at 110m right now.

What a amazingly stupid launch for DBG.

I got out of work early, queue said 106 minutes when I got into it :/

Malaria fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 22, 2024

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea that server is dead on arrival lol

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Not sure what a good solution would have been, but lol at using the most popular ruleset of all time with Kunark being open from the start and not expecting this server to immediately burst into flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

house of the dad posted:

Not sure what a good solution would have been, but lol at using the most popular ruleset of all time with Kunark being open from the start and not expecting this server to immediately burst into flames.

I don't understand why they didn't add a 2nd server like they did with Mischief.

Teek is probably going to be more popular than Mischief was.

DBG is not run by the smartest people.