Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Dragomorph posted:

Just confirmed the "50 reputation Level 20" bypass works today. Which is good, because even nearly at level 40 I kind of don't want to fight, uh... *counts on fingers* potentially EVERY SINGLE TELVANNI COUNCILOR

Arch-Mage Trebonius is very disappointed with this attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

Arcvasti posted:

Arch-Mage Trebonius is very disappointed with this attitude.

Archmage Trebonius can sit and spin on it. I already got his drat (modded) robe and solved the mystery of the Dwarves for him.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Dragomorph posted:

Just confirmed the "50 reputation Level 20" bypass works today. Which is good, because even nearly at level 40 I kind of don't want to fight, uh... *counts on fingers* potentially EVERY SINGLE TELVANNI COUNCILOR due to the fact my mods and faction choices have put everybody but Aryon at a whopping *0* unshiftable disposition with me.

Bear in mind this is with TR installed, so that would mean all the ones on the mainland too.

...oops.

I planned my last playthrough around using the bypass haha. I really dislike the Hortator quests. I always wondered how you could get away with showing your face around the Great Houses once the Tribunal Temple has declared you a heretic.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

I planned my last playthrough around using the bypass haha. I really dislike the Hortator quests. I always wondered how you could get away with showing your face around the Great Houses once the Tribunal Temple has declared you a heretic.
The only one that I can see that really being a problem with is Redoran, the other two don't really give a poo poo about what the Temple wants.

The whole heretic arc is a bit half baked in general though, nobody really cares beyond a reputation hit with some people. Which I guess you could charitably ascribe to their hearts never having really been in it in the first place and the Archcanon having an idea of where the wind is blowing, but I don't think that's intentional.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dragomorph posted:

Just confirmed the "50 reputation Level 20" bypass works today. Which is good, because even nearly at level 40 I kind of don't want to fight, uh... *counts on fingers* potentially EVERY SINGLE TELVANNI COUNCILOR due to the fact my mods and faction choices have put everybody but Aryon at a whopping *0* unshiftable disposition with me.

Bear in mind this is with TR installed, so that would mean all the ones on the mainland too.

...oops.

that's not a very telvanni attitude

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that's not a very telvanni attitude

I'm not a very Telvanni person. :saddowns:

(The Telvanni attempt is for the NEXT character.)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Node posted:

I'm looking forward to when you can move on to Valenwood in 9000 years. The in game books describe it as a land with cities built on and supported by giant walking trees (if I remember correctly.) I think we'd need a beefier script extender to make poo poo like that possible in Morrowind's engine.

i had an even longer dumber theorypost about how you might go about doing something like this, but i think the bones of it are actually already there. You'd need a pretty good grip on a lot of things and work mostly need to set up scheduling according to ingame date and seasons, and carefully plan out how to accomplish this -- this whole process is the entire key gimmick and main big deal of how the province works, without it you have nothing you'd want to pursue, or imo nothing big enough to start a TR-sized effort to do when you have blackmarsh right in front of you.

One way to do this could be to set up a city map that you build normally. You then associate it with its route with some lookup tables of orientations and locations, and when a player approaches a cell that contains a route it checks to see if the time's right and it plonks the city in the correct zone. It's like "oh yeah there needs to be a 2000ft tall tree coming up make sure they can see it in the skybox" and all that. Player gets to the base of the tree and has to transition up it either by lift or by levitating high enough where some script realizes they are trying to get up there and then it transitions them to the city cell with the correct orientation and location. As it loads it checks the time and date and sets the skybox for the city to match the terrain "outside" the cell real smooth and easy looks great everything's perfect, makes sure the internal foliage of the city is the right season or w/e. You also need that reverse script in case they fall off.

This isn't great. If you could even get it to work (and I prob couldn't) it doesn't actually walk the trees in the super fantastic mind boggling way I would have hoped. You don't get these goofy/scary/impressive effects where branches and stuff can move and tilt or whatever like are in some of the books and how this would affect what the player experiences. You don't get a root slamming down across a stream and water splashing up dramatically or anything.

There's also the problem that Valenwood is much more three dimensional than Morrowind is. You really need to be clambering all up and around all over poo poo at all times. You would want climbing to be back in as a skill. I'd go so far as to say that key game mechanics sort of... just don't work at all in other provinces anymore. The map sucks for this, for example. The spells also suck and don't particularly match well with the in-lore descriptions of magic i remember, but that actually matches with a lot of the in game books if you think about it.

The key thing, and bottom line really, is to go thru all aspects of information you want to count as being canonical, and then plan out what would be needed to realize them. That, and if you could figure out a way to make boats work, you're well ahead of the curve on making this actually possible. The deck of a boat moving on the sea is imo the same thing as some tavern built in a swaying treebranch in that if you can do one you can do the other. Afaik none of the bethesda games have this. Games specifically designed around only this bust their rear end to make it feel correct. Injecting something like this into MW is possible but would need a suite of tools that would literally beat beth at their own game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Just join the tr project and actually make it happen

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

*dude with heavily bandaged hands and face* : join the sticking your hand in the fire club man. It's great

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

mbt posted:

Joke's on you, I have no talent whatsoever!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah I'm well into the put up or shut up phase it's been like 5 years I've been pissing around with this mod but imo there's a strong connection between things like the walking cities and the ability to have boats or traveling striders, & it's a similar technique but flipped inside out

Instead of the player throwing around props and then you switch objects, you move objects around to give the illusion. If there's not already a good enough complete travel mod (it is 2024) I'll try to fix my containers then slam out a proof of concept. There's a poo poo gently caress ton more that would have to go into it though.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vichan posted:

Joke's on you, I have no talent whatsoever!

I made mods when I was 12. People aren't magically born with the ability to do things lol. If you speak English you're already pre-qualified to make quests

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

mbt posted:

I made mods when I was 12. People aren't magically born with the ability to do things lol. If you speak English you're already pre-qualified to make quests

What if I got an F in English despite speaking it?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Leal posted:

Then you're qualified to write Starfield quests

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Leal posted:

One of the most popular writing based mods of all time is LGNPC. The bar is quite low here

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Asterite34 posted:

Then you're qualified to write Starfield quests

Thought I was done peeing as I read this but then more pee came out.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Also keep in mind probably a good half of vanilla faction quests involve about three lines of dialogue. There's one for the temple which amounts to "There's an ashlander camping outside give him this potion and tell him to go away" and you go outside and give him the potion and he speaks to you in the kind of broken english that reminds you that Morrowind is not universally well written, and that's it. Having even the slightest twist or character moment in a quest would be outdoing most of the vanilla quests, honestly.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Thought I was done peeing as I read this but then more pee came out.

You alone, though you pee again and again, can unmake him. Whether I allow it is within my wisdom. Go unarmed into the toilet with these words of power: DO SOME KEGELS AND ALWAYS GIVE IT A GOOD SHAKE

- 36 Sermons of Men's Health, Sermon 15

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I kinda really liked the mundane faction quests. "Go find the pro security guy hiding in town somewhere" and you do some realistic local investigation until you find him. The one thing I didn't really like was your faction rank is mostly a title and nothing really meaningfully changes even if you head the organization. I did like that you can't lead the Blades but since your boss leaves you're the senior officer on the island (though you have no subordinates as all the existing Blades go around you for their business).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SettingSun posted:

I kinda really liked the mundane faction quests. "Go find the pro security guy hiding in town somewhere" and you do some realistic local investigation until you find him. The one thing I didn't really like was your faction rank is mostly a title and nothing really meaningfully changes even if you head the organization. I did like that you can't lead the Blades but since your boss leaves you're the senior officer on the island (though you have no subordinates as all the existing Blades go around you for their business).

It seems like all the "you can pick this up" items are flagged at the same moderate rank, and a mod that dynamically assigned the rank based on value and displayed it in the tool tip would be cool.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"Owned" is part of the options somewhere in the main patch (& irl look in the mirror boom ethered)
Doing it for actual values based on rank and having things refill would be rad

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Doing a Morrowind Install.

I remember reading in the thread a while back someone made a mod that makes loads of NPCs in the game stronger / gives them special abilities? Can anyone remember what that was?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

It sounds like you’re thinking of mort’s rebalances!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
No it was much more specific. I think someone went through hundreds of the unique named NPCs in the games and tweaked their skills, level etc...

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I found it! It's More Deadly Morrowind Denizens: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48745

Not sure if it was goon made.

Doing my first install at the moment in about 5/6 years with a new PC, RTX 3070. poo poo's got so much easier with mod organiser too etc.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Finished my modathon mod for this year:

Ascadian Farmyard Overhaul

(And so on for every residence in the Ascadian Isles).
Now I can return to my slumber. Once I've made a bunch of compatches.

Cerebulon fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 16, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Entropy238 posted:

I found it! It's More Deadly Morrowind Denizens: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48745

Not sure if it was goon made.

Doing my first install at the moment in about 5/6 years with a new PC, RTX 3070. poo poo's got so much easier with mod organiser too etc.

It's goon made IIRC and it's extremely good.

I use these three:
More Deadly Morrowind Denizens
Beware the Sixth House
Solsthiem rebalanced (not sure if that's the name)

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

I'm having trouble with a couple of MWSE mods that just aren't functioning. Sophisticated Save System just doesn't make any automatic saves and Smarter Soultrap actually disables my ability to soultrap. With smart soultrap disabled I can soultrap fine.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Nothing is jumping out from my mwse.log, but I'm no expert.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Cerebulon posted:

Finished my modathon mod for this year:

Ascadian Farmyard Overhaul

(And so on for every residence in the Ascadian Isles).
Now I can return to my slumber. Once I've made a bunch of compatches.

Installing this when I do my next playthrough. Looks great!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Imagine when there are mods and expansions for TR.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm sure my grandchildren will love the thriving mod community of a freshly released TR.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There are TR mods!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I don't see much of a problem with modding TR, I know its a bit of apples/oranges, but look at the modding of Stalker: mods build on mods built on an updated engine with tons of versions of maps stitched together, if you have a decent handle on whats supposed to be happening in TR around where you want to mod, or are used to faffing with morrowind mods in general; for instance, hmm, something thats going to affect the models of plants everywhere, its not impossible, but you are going to be wandering around a lot longer making sure whatever you touched does not affect something that relies on it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

tr changes constantly and its a notorious moving target for modders. the only things set in stone are these little house markers that tell modders you can put a house there without worry.

instead of making a submod its generally easier to just join the project lol

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Yeah, deffo.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’ve run into an issue with my install.

Tried to install the “Hardsave” mod to try it out (stops saves during combat). It sucks and I want to uninstall. Tried deselecting on mod organiser. Have reloaded the game now and still unable to save in combat. Have tried updating MWSE, nothing. Affects new saves created after the mods been uninstalled, strangely.

Anyone have any ideas? I feel like there might be some leftover script running in the background but I thought mod organiser was supposed to stop that.

Edit

I opened up the file in notepad++ and it says the following:

local function onSave(e)
if tes3.mobilePlayer.inCombat then
tes3.messageBox({ message = "You cannot save the game in battle" })
return false
end
end

local function initialized(e)
event.register("save", onSave)
end
event.register("initialized", initialized)

Any ideas?

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 18, 2024

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m a moron. 4NM dragon door has its own function to stop saves when being pursued. Turned that off and it works now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

I’m a moron. 4NM dragon door has its own function to stop saves when being pursued. Turned that off and it works now.

You've just been 4NM'd