Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:orb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
All the new birds are catalogued. Some highlights:

The full roster: https://imgur.com/gallery/Pt9tTQR

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
thanks for posting those, seeing blackjack turn out that way is pretty funny.

hope the one with an injured wing recovers quickly :shobon:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
:eyepop: Beautiful quail!

Snow White is broody!

She did so well last time, I’m setting 12 eggs for her. (She might share with Bad Mom, who is broody again. Bad Mom’s the reason I’m hand raising the 3 week old chicks so I’m not planning to set any just for her.)

Gidget had her chicks out and about today

Meanwhile this guy moved into her coop.

The hens spotted him and made a huge ruckus. He’s a rat snake so he’s harmless to people and usually good to have around a chicken coop but I hate losing chicks to a snake. Mr. Joburg got the Snake Grabber and moved him away. Since it is definitely snake season I’m keeping most hatching eggs in the incubators so no hen loses her whole brood. We have eggs hatching Monday and Thursday for 2 yet-unnamed hens, I’ll post more chick pics when they are here :3:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Update on my surgery

Blossom and Sky enjoying the sunshine today.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I posted last month about having trouble finding a prebuilt coop that wasn't tiny and garbage. I ended up building my own.
Step One:

Step Two: Swearing, bleeding, spending a lot of money
Step Three:

Still need to throw some latches on it, install the solar powered fan, and a vent, but it's basically done.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

See you goons in a few days.

Hug your chickens.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

spookygonk posted:

See you goons in a few days.

Hug your chickens.

Good luck and so forth

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Got our tail feathers crossed for you!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Good luck spookygonk!!! :h:

The ReptiPro incubator is up and test running!
If all goes well, Chickam eggs will go into it this Saturday, May 18th for a planned hatch date of Saturday, June 8th! :henget: :chickbutt:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Best of luck, spooky!!

Yay, chickam!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chickam!?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=setseen&threadid=3828788&index=506

Hey, I'm back. Thanks peeps 😊

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 14, 2024

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Sandra Dee and her chicks wish you fast healing!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Peanut Hamper is pulling for you as well (once she finishes her sprouts and scrambled eggs)!

https://i.imgur.com/JSeXYRA.mp4

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

spookygonk posted:

Hey, I'm back. Thanks peeps 😊

Yay! Wishing you a rapid, uneventful recovery!

Charlotte says Hi, and wonders if you might by chance have a spare cheeseburger in your pocket.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yay! Wishing you a rapid, uneventful recovery!

Charlotte says Hi, and wonders if you might by chance have a spare cheeseburger in your pocket.

Your chickens get cheeseburgers? They're living the good life.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ours do big Kawaii eyes whenever we sit down for food in the garden.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Found this thread while searching to see if there was any chickam news this year, glad to see that's on the way, and hope folks' surgery recoveries continue going well! Great to see everyone's birds in here too, I miss raising chickens back when I was growing up, so I always jump at the chance to see other people's photos. There's a bunch of good ones in here.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sometimes it's an unintentional donation if you don't protect your dinner.

Well...poo poo.
The kid found Chonk, our 5 year old light Brahma Head Hen, dead in the coop this morning, she died overnight. :smith:
Not sick, she just did the heavy breed thing and died suddenly.
She was one of my favorites, and insisted on being in your lap every time you sat down. God help any chicken who got there first, one look from her and they'd split.
Not sure who's gonna take her place as Head Hen.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sorry for your loss VS.

Roost in Peace Chonk, you were an amazing floofbundle.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Rest in peace, Chonk.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Slugworth posted:

I posted last month about having trouble finding a prebuilt coop that wasn't tiny and garbage. I ended up building my own.
Step One:

Step Two: Swearing, bleeding, spending a lot of money
Step Three:

Still need to throw some latches on it, install the solar powered fan, and a vent, but it's basically done.

This looks fantastic. I recently setup a solar panel with some PC fans to help with humidity and heat. It mostly works OK but with the position of the coop, the panel doesn't get much sun.

Bonus curious chicken video:
https://i.imgur.com/lAO5LqO.mp4

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Not my image

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Sorry for your loss, Velvet Sparrow. She looks like a wonderful chicken.

We have eggs hatching today! Some in the incubator and some in the nest, just to hedge our bets.

https://youtu.be/AJsrpSfCHoo?si=VN3BVoXiqzggIKqe

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TheDK posted:

This looks fantastic. I recently setup a solar panel with some PC fans to help with humidity and heat. It mostly works OK but with the position of the coop, the panel doesn't get much sun
I installed a cheap solar exhaust fan on mine, and I'm gonna need to upgrade at some point. The fan moves decent air, but it has no battery, so it only runs in direct sunlight. Like, *direct*. Kind of a pain.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Does anyone have experience keeping chickens away from pools?

We are likely inheriting some young chickens in about a month and a half, which is also right around the time we usually set up a relatively small above-ground pool. (About 3½ feet tall, 12 feet diameter). The pool won't really be that close to the chickens, and they will be at least loosely in some sort of enclosure, but I'm going with the assumption that it's not safe to assume they might not find their way to the pool anyway. And we don't really have robust fencing that would truly be able to stop them, so I'm nervous about them drowning.

(I still don't have all the details about the enclosure, our in-laws are building one for themselves first and then for us. They got the chicks yesterday but will be raising them for the first month or two since we aren't ready yet and have a long trip coming up.)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

They should be fine, chickens can swim to a certain extent, as well as fly, so they should just jump out the first time and then never go near it again.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My chickens ignore the weird artificial pond but they also don’t have free rein in that area except when I’m out there. Even if they did though I keep the pool covered

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joburg posted:

Sorry for your loss, Velvet Sparrow. She looks like a wonderful chicken.

We have eggs hatching today! Some in the incubator and some in the nest, just to hedge our bets.

https://youtu.be/AJsrpSfCHoo?si=VN3BVoXiqzggIKqe

Two hatchlings already! Look how angry they are about being born :stwoon:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Tuna and Flo love gazing in our tiny pond, contemplating the beauty of their reflections and the future taste of frogspawn.

Only under close supervision, though. Their promises are worth nothing.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Maybe make sure there is a 'ladder' of some sort to help them get out if they fall/jump in, at least at first.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thanks for talking me down a bit, I guess the more I think about it the less likely the pool will be a real problem. Really if they get out that far there are probably other things to worry about. We're still trying to figure out our ideal balance between keeping them enclosed and letting them roam a bit. We definitely believe in some degree of free range but we still have to protect them of course, especially since we back up to a huge open field that definitely has coyotes and stuff at times.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Well, I get to go home to my wife and hens today.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

spookygonk posted:

Well, I get to go home to my wife and hens today.

:neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

freeedr posted:

Not my image

Impressive.

Sorry for your loss VS