Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I loved kodi for years, but boy does it just feel like it’s stuck in a different era now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I gave up on Kodi years ago because it just felt so bloated and slow and was a pain in the rear end to manage the database. I switched to Emby and used that for a couple years, but man the UI in every version of the app I ever used was just so bad. Eventually I just switched to Plex, and while it's not perfect, it's definitely good enough for my use and is easy to integrate with friends' plex libraries.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

History Comes Inside! posted:

If Kodi works for you just keep using Kodi

I will never not use Kodi
Same. Plex is massively overrated. Kodi looks and feels better in every way.

Jellyfin and Plex are modeled after Netflix-style streaming apps, which might be more ubiquitous but aren't therefore better. Kodi is a full-on home theater UI that does exactly what I want.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 17, 2024

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Kodi with Confluence. Just like Project Mayhem w/ Chokemanic intended.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Really happy with Jellyfin but I don’t do anything fancy with it. For playback I use Infuse on my Apple TV (and that’s about it)

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Kodi was getting pretty slow with library scans on startup, but I really like my layout configuration. Now I let Jellyfin handle the library, and feed that into Kodi using JellyCon. I haven't been running it this way very long, but it's cleared up my Kodi library update woes and seems good so far :shrug:

Except for when Jellyfin's sqlite database got corrupted during a power outage :negative:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Resdfru posted:

Is there anything that is at the level of a shield pro (or apple TV if you're in that system)? Every roku or Google (made) tv device I've tried has had a ux just as bad as any built in TV os

A friend of mine runs an Android TV appliance off an RPi4 and seems happy with it. I’ve used it and it was more responsive than most Roku shitboxen.

These links are probabky dated, but they mirror what it friend did:

https://beebom.com/build-android-tv-box-raspberry-pi/

https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS20-ATV/

No personal experience on my part beyond using it - my house is mostly Apple Enshittified. No scrubs here.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

Kodi was getting pretty slow with library scans on startup, but I really like my layout configuration. Now I let Jellyfin handle the library, and feed that into Kodi using JellyCon. I haven't been running it this way very long, but it's cleared up my Kodi library update woes and seems good so far :shrug:

Except for when Jellyfin's sqlite database got corrupted during a power outage :negative:

Mine doesn't get slow at all. Then again, it doesn't know about any "libraries". It's just, here's my folder where the things are (mounted folder), I browse to the thing I want to watch and click play. There's no scanning, no hiccups. These applications people are talking about seem to be more like a netflix-like thing and I don't see the point. Especially when one would need to use some special device or (worse) connect the TV to the network.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Volguus posted:

Mine doesn't get slow at all. Then again, it doesn't know about any "libraries". It's just, here's my folder where the things are (mounted folder), I browse to the thing I want to watch and click play. There's no scanning, no hiccups. These applications people are talking about seem to be more like a netflix-like thing and I don't see the point. Especially when one would need to use some special device or (worse) connect the TV to the network.

It's really nice to be able to say "i want to watch a comedy" and have it filter to the comedies. Or, "i want to watch an animated film" or a musical or any other number of things. Or even "action movies from the 80s".

Oh, or even just filter things down to movies by a certain director or with certain actors.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Volguus posted:

How well does that work when you have 10,000 shows and movies?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Kibner posted:

It's really nice to be able to say "i want to watch a comedy" and have it filter to the comedies. Or, "i want to watch an animated film" or a musical or any other number of things. Or even "action movies from the 80s".

Oh, or even just filter things down to movies by a certain director or with certain actors.

EL BROMANCE posted:

How well does that work when you have 10,000 shows and movies?

See ... I have no idea how that feels like, because I never asked myself (or the computer) these questions. I only say: I want to watch movie X. I click on it and it plays. The search, decisions, indecisions, are being made in front of a computer, with a mouse and keyboard and with the download button a few pixels away.

Since it comes in 2-3 minutes at most, once the decision is made, there's barely enough time to put up the popcorn, before the movie can start.

So, it works very well, thank you for asking.

Edit: then again, I don't have 10000 shows and movies, since I don't plan to backup the internet. I get things when I want them, and delete them when I watched them. I have probably I think about 1000 on the disks right now, maybe a bit less. The internet backs up everything, so I don't have to.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 18, 2024

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You said ‘I don’t see the point’, so we provided you with context. Just because it’s not an interest to you doesn’t make it pointless. Enjoy using Kodi and hopefully you’ll always be able to find the thing you want to, because I know in some cases that can be really hard work.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

You said ‘I don’t see the point’, so we provided you with context. Just because it’s not an interest to you doesn’t make it pointless. Enjoy using Kodi and hopefully you’ll always be able to find the thing you want to, because I know in some cases that can be really hard work.

About what's out there: everything is out there. Always. When there won't be anymore, there will be a shitload of more pressing problems to deal with than "what movie to watch" (there probably won't be any, or electricity to run the machines). There's never ever a need to hoard things.

Really people, NAS is cool and all, but don't hoard.

And about contexts: I provided you with my context as you provided me with yours. And yes, all that setup it is still pointless.As there are better ways to ask those questions. And no hoarding!

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Volguus posted:

About what's out there: everything is out there. Always. When there won't be anymore, there will be a shitload of more pressing problems to deal with than "what movie to watch" (there probably won't be any, or electricity to run the machines). There's never ever a need to hoard things.

And about contexts: I provided you with my context as you provided me with yours. And yes, all that setup it is still pointless.As there are better ways to ask those questions. And no hoarding!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Volguus posted:

Literally finished a multiple year hunt for a specific movie tonight, but go off I guess. Don’t hoard? Lmao don’t tell me what to loving do with my media, in this thread of all places. From your weird rear end stuff about ‘more pressing problems’ and electricity running out, I’m guessing you’ve got a few screws loose so I’m just gonna end this here.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Not everybody has a 10GB fiber pipe to their house, sometimes it's nice to have a decent library stored up locally. Also most hoarders are broke brains in other ways, like enjoying sorting and organizing the things they hoard into neat categories. With themed posters and in some cases even episode title cards :gonk:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

EL BROMANCE posted:

Literally finished a multiple year hunt for a specific movie tonight, but go off I guess.

It's not even obscure stuff that can be a pain in the rear end to get sometimes

I had to wait a year to watch something recently because a few episodes weren't available despite being an Emmy winning HBO show less than 2 years old

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Volguus posted:

About what's out there: everything is out there. Always.

:laffo:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Volguus posted:

There's never ever a need to hoard things.

:mods:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tapedump posted:

Kodi with Confluence. Just like Project Mayhem w/ Chokemanic intended.

This is the one true path and anything else is garbage.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Volguus posted:

About what's out there: everything is out there.

No it isn’t, your entire premise is flawed right out of the gate. Media is not as easily obtainable as you seem to think and people attach value to it. Just because you see it as disposable doesn’t mean everyone shares that attitude. Telling other people what to do with their time and money is really obnoxious btw.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

This is the one true path and anything else is garbage.

What’s a lovely Atlassian wiki product got to do with downloading Linux ISOs?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Been testing jellyfin for a bit. Pointing both Plex and Jellyfin to the same library. Jellyfin seems ok, but it lacks some polish. More finicky on directory names, worse on extras, much heavier memory usage. I really like that it can play dvd isos though

Will probably stick with Plex as I have access to various other servers as well…

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I like Plex. I’ve used the others, but prefer it.

I’m pretty heavy into the Overseerr/Maintainarr world now and they work nicely with Plex. Not sure if they work as well with the others. That would be my deal breaker.

Having my lovely junk food tv shows auto expire after I watch them is convenient (Maintainarr). And my other users like having Overseer.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Oh my, I dared to tell people what to do with their money: People that absolutely need to hoard, will hoard, nothing that I or anyone in this universe will tell them will change their mind. Normal people, however, don't need to. Like nobody in the pc building thread will tell someone to go and buy a $10k PC to "future-proof" themselves, because that's a fools' errand. But there will be people who will do just that and there's nothing anyone can do to change their mind. And I'm sure they have their reasons too.

In the end, you do you. There's never been an easier time to find and gather any kind of media than right now, and I've been downloading linux isos for over 24 years now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rufius posted:

I like Plex. I’ve used the others, but prefer it.

I’m pretty heavy into the Overseerr/Maintainarr world now and they work nicely with Plex. Not sure if they work as well with the others. That would be my deal breaker.

Having my lovely junk food tv shows auto expire after I watch them is convenient (Maintainarr). And my other users like having Overseer.

I've recently been switching over to Emby. I had a few hiccups that were easily sorted with using an *arr to rename files or fixing a match, a thing I've had to do on plex occasionally as well. When I tried this with jellyfin it was an unmitigated disaster, pretty much like the rest of jellyfin when trying to use it with large libraries, expecting now table stakes features like seek thumbnails and intro skip or live tv/IPTV functionality.

Love this forum staple trope of a goon saying something somewhat unhinged, thinking they are totally normal and everyone does it their way getting told "that's weird, but whatever" proceed to get totally embarassed by that and keep doubling down. Bravo.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 18, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Volguus posted:

People that absolutely need to hoard, will hoard,

Have fun beating up the strawman you created.

Volguus posted:

Normal people, however, don't need to.

Tell us more about "normal" people.

Volguus posted:

There's never been an easier time to find and gather any kind of media than right now

Patently false and entirely the reason people are taking issue with your posts but feel free to climb up on that cross goon.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Almost every application created in this space right now is built around collecting media. Making it easier to collect it. Automate collecting it. Automate collecting multiple copies that are different in some way. Multiple apps for consuming all of the media that come pre-installed on tvs now. And these apps aren't new. There's an app for every single different type of media. Theyve existed for decades in some form or another.

Pretending like most people in this thread and other similar places online are not 'hoarding' media is something

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Resdfru posted:

Almost every application created in this space right now is built around collecting media. Making it easier to collect it. Automate collecting it. Automate collecting multiple copies that are different in some way. Multiple apps for consuming all of the media that come pre-installed on tvs now. And these apps aren't new. There's an app for every single different type of media. Theyve existed for decades in some form or another.

Pretending like most people in this thread and other similar places online are not 'hoarding' media is something

Maybe this is a semantics argument but there's a lot of negative connotation for "hoarding" vs people having shows they like on hand.

For myself and many others in this thread that simply means downloading something you enjoy and as needs dictate, removing it to make room for other things. Maybe some people just keep buying drives infinitely keeping every piece of media they consume through their lives but that seems well outside the normal case described by almost everyone in the thread.

Personally I have a few movies and shows I'll never delete because its ones I will watch every few years or keep to show to friends etc but about half of my library at any moment is waiting to be watched and then deleted, or stuff I watched and haven't deleted yet.

All of this is a sideshow though when the actual argumentative point was "everything is out there. Always." which isn't true and laughable to many in this thread who have spent real time and effort trying to find particular things. Some quite niche, some not at all. It's ignorant and anecdotal by the OP.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

Maybe this is a semantics argument but there's a lot of negative connotation for "hoarding" vs people having shows they like on hand.

It's not a negative connotation, its flat out negative as hoarding is compulsively gathering often valueless things and feeling distress at the thought of losing any of them. Where what most people here describe doing is collecting, which means a curated gathering of media with a purpose. Not just indiscriminate junk with no particular organization, reason, thought or usefulness past "number go up".

That Works posted:

All of this is a sideshow though when the actual argumentative point was "everything is out there. Always." which isn't true and laughable to many in this thread who have spent real time and effort trying to find particular things. Some quite niche, some not at all. It's ignorant and anecdotal by the OP.

lol yes. We've even past the part where you could count on a streaming service to not disappear media on you like, in the middle of watching a season of a show if you keep on paying them.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 18, 2024

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The WAF of Overseer, Plex, and Infuse in our house has been immeasurable.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I think places like the data hoarders subreddit gave the term a bit of a positive spin or feeling of pride despite it literally being obsessive behavior lol

I have around 20 TB storage across media, family photos and literal Linux ISOs and recently when I almost filled it up I just started watching stuff more and deleting it afterwards. But I also buy physical copies of movies I really like because I will want to watch them again and that way I don’t need to keep them on the NAS all the time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's great until the discs start to rot or it becomes impossible to buy a Blu-ray player in 20 years. Long term retention of data is a long way from being a solved problem as consumers have only really been generating things like digital photos for 20 years.

I hugely dislike the idea that a movie could only exist at the whim of a streaming provider's desire to keep paying the license for it though, and will keep adding to my collection of discs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Volguus posted:

Oh my, I dared to tell people what to do with their money: People that absolutely need to hoard, will hoard, nothing that I or anyone in this universe will tell them will change their mind. Normal people, however, don't need to. Like nobody in the pc building thread will tell someone to go and buy a $10k PC to "future-proof" themselves, because that's a fools' errand. But there will be people who will do just that and there's nothing anyone can do to change their mind. And I'm sure they have their reasons too.

In the end, you do you. There's never been an easier time to find and gather any kind of media than right now, and I've been downloading linux isos for over 24 years now.

you are absolutely not the person to have any sort of touch on what "normal people" need to do. we smell our own.

Hey El Bromance - did you set up a site/microsite for your music video channel project? I can go back and look at the posts but was wondering if there was a source you were updating as you went along? I'm now very much into the idea after re-doing and upgrading my entire media management setup, including a great Synology NAS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s all going to be on the YouTube channel bit by bit. I’ve just returned from my trip home for a few weeks so I plan on getting the audio re-recorded and a few minor things this week before making that first episode public, then I’ll work on putting the next ones together which will be able obtaining and organizing which I wrote up a post about to a degree, but will hopefully be easier to follow in video form.

That should cover the basics of setting up then really, it all scales pretty easily once you’ve got it up and running.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

sellouts posted:

you are absolutely not the person to have any sort of touch on what "normal people" need to do. we smell our own.

lol. you can smell them allright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Le0 posted:

Until now I've been using kodi to stream stuff from my server storage but I found out that my LG TV supports jellyfin. Is that any good? I've been a XBMC/Kodi user for life but honestly the ease of use of just having to switch the app on my TV is tempting if the software is not too lovely.
If you're willing to sideload, as of the latest release Kodi now supports webOS.

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_webOS

I haven't gotten around to trying it yet but if it works it seems like it'd give you that convenience of just switching apps without having to change anything else about how you do things.