Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Okay, now write five books just like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Jack's pissed but also realizes he gets to do more math to figure out navigational techniques IN SPACE

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Very in character for Stephen to think that the Moon is visible every night and for Jack to let that pass without comment.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I want a crossover novel where the Surprise gets caught up in a temporal anomaly and gets sent to the future where they all get picked up by the enterprise.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Holy poo poo :vince:

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Beautiful, as if you plucked the visions wholesale from my sleeping mind.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kylaer posted:

Holy poo poo :vince:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

I want a crossover novel where the Surprise gets caught up in a temporal anomaly and gets sent to the future where they all get picked up by the enterprise.

Jack is briefly set a-lee when he learns the captain with the authoritative manner and aristocratic voice is named Jean-Luc Picard

E:

One of those long, loving, TMP-style model panning shots. Jack, Stephen, and Barret Bonden are crowded around the porthole of the shuttle, marveling at the testament to man's ingenuity picked out against the inky blackness of the eternal deeps. House-high letters on on the hull begins to come into view:

E

SE

ISE

RISE

PRISE

Forgetting himself, Bonden elbows Captain Aubrey with a look of transported joy! Could it be?

RPRISE

Could it be?!

And the mood instantly changes as the rest of the word is revealed:

ERPRISE

TERPRISE

USS ENTERPRISE

A sour taste fills the back of the sailors' mouths. The future belongs to Americans.

Phy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 1, 2024

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sax Solo posted:

I know in my soul she did something reckless and stupid in the carriage ride that caused the accident; or, failing that, said something so awful that Diana chose murder-suicide.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The way I always imagined it was she running her mouth and nagging and pissed Diana off so she drove recklessly, which Diana has done in the past when nagged.

I definitely wasn’t expecting these The Hundred Days spoilers when I posted that lol. I wasn’t expecting Bondon either, it’s just so casually dropped into the middle of a sentence too.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Phy posted:

USS ENTERPRISE

A sour taste fills the back of the sailors' mouths. The future belongs to Americans.

:bisonyes:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Phy posted:

Jack is briefly set a-lee when he learns the captain with the authoritative manner and aristocratic voice is named Jean-Luc Picard

E:

One of those long, loving, TMP-style model panning shots. Jack, Stephen, and Barret Bonden are crowded around the porthole of the shuttle, marveling at the testament to man's ingenuity picked out against the inky blackness of the eternal deeps. House-high letters on on the hull begins to come into view:

E

SE

ISE

RISE

PRISE

Forgetting himself, Bonden elbows Captain Aubrey with a look of transported joy! Could it be?

RPRISE

Could it be?!

And the mood instantly changes as the rest of the word is revealed:

ERPRISE

TERPRISE

USS ENTERPRISE

Now write the scene in Patric O’brien english.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not one of my strengths, unfortunately.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Saw this pop up on Twitter and immediately thought of the goings-on in this thread.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Clearly I’m not the only one to have thought this through

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Stephen is still too good looking

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TerminalSaint posted:

Saw this pop up on Twitter and immediately thought of the goings-on in this thread.

:nice:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Lockback posted:

Stephen is still too good looking

:hmmyes:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm doing my first re-read and was probably too young/stupid to grasp nuance when I first read through the early books, but I'm on Post Captain now and have to admit I still can't tell - and I know it's gauche to even ask - but are Jack and/or Stephen actually having sex with Diana?

I'm only up to the escape from France, but evidence so far indicating they do actually gently caress in those opening chapters:

- Diana mentions how cold it is in her house so says she's going to go sit in bed ("man... now my PANTS are chafing me!") and invites Stephen to come "sit by her" (or something) when he's finished his brandy
- Can't recall the exact wording but Jack mentions to Christy-Palliere that he feels he's left Diana's honour in something of a pickle, which I read to mean that he's obliged to marry her if they've hosed (though I'm not sure that's actually true since she's already been married and therefore isn't a virgin?)

Also, when they're aboard the merchantman, Jack is telling the girls about his recuperation at Stephen's castle (which occurred off-screen) and how sick he was and how Stephen was bleeding and dosing him daily, to what seems to the reader like an excessive amount but which Jack accepts unquestioningly. This almost reads as though Stephen is taking advantage of his position as Jack's doctor to deliver a sort of revenge, but surely he'd never be petty enough to violate his Hippocratic oath, even in the greyest of ways?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

freebooter posted:

Also, when they're aboard the merchantman, Jack is telling the girls about his recuperation at Stephen's castle (which occurred off-screen) and how sick he was and how Stephen was bleeding and dosing him daily, to what seems to the reader like an excessive amount but which Jack accepts unquestioningly. This almost reads as though Stephen is taking advantage of his position as Jack's doctor to deliver a sort of revenge, but surely he'd never be petty enough to violate his Hippocratic oath, even in the greyest of ways?
Nah, thats just stevens standard battle plan when dealing with sailors:
You don't just treat them, you ensure that they loving know that they have been treated by applying gracious amounts of everything (that doesn't do damage). Like bleeding. And laxatives.'..

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

freebooter posted:

I'm doing my first re-read and was probably too young/stupid to grasp nuance when I first read through the early books, but I'm on Post Captain now and have to admit I still can't tell - and I know it's gauche to even ask - but are Jack and/or Stephen actually having sex with Diana?

Yes, 100%

freebooter posted:

Stephen is absolutely that petty. Remember when the midshipmen drank (iirc) the spirits of wine that had been preserving some snake specimen, and, after asking Jack if he could spare them for a day, he gave them all a bolus that caused diarrhea? That said, I didn't get the impression he was doing that to Jack at the castle.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm not sure Stephen had sex with Diana at that point because he's on opium and depressed and seems to be missing opportunities she's throwing him, which she takes as rejection. Jack certainly is having sex with her and you can date their first liaison to that week where Sophie has to follow her mother to Bath and Jack thinks he's been rejected.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm not sure Stephen had sex with Diana at that point because he's on opium and depressed and seems to be missing opportunities she's throwing him, which she takes as rejection. Jack certainly is having sex with her and you can date their first liaison to that week where Sophie has to follow her mother to Bath and Jack thinks he's been rejected.

later on I could have sworn he refers to himself in his diary as one of Diana's lovers

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arglebargle III posted:

This is my reading. Jack certainly did but Stephen couldn't get out of his own drat way with her.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Jack is certainly banging Diana and it's more or less confirmed by statements in later books. I assume Stephen was too, particularly with that scene that ends with "come sit next to me in bed after brandy" and ends right there which is the classy way of saying they are banging without saying it

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

It would also be very strange for him to consider himself a contender with his various rivals otherwise

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cassian of Imola posted:

It would also be very strange for him to consider himself a contender with his various rivals otherwise

He didn't know at first and when he figured it out he literally wanted to murder his best friend about it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Cassian of Imola posted:

Stephen is absolutely that petty. Remember when the midshipmen drank (iirc) the spirits of wine that had been preserving some snake specimen, and, after asking Jack if he could spare them for a day, he gave them all a bolus that caused diarrhea? That said, I didn't get the impression he was doing that to Jack at the castle.

Whoah whoah whoah. That was the midshipmen who ate his rats, which he had been feeding with madder in order to see if it discoloured their bones. While I'm sure he didn't mind putting them through discomfort, I think he would have perceived a legitimate reason to purge them, at least according to the medical knowledge of the time. As far as I know madder was sometimes given as a herbal remedy, nowadays we know it to be inadvisable for pregnant women, I don't know if it would do young men any actual harm. I doubt it. But Stephen's dosing seems valid under the medical beliefs of his day.

I do think that both Jack and Stephen were shagging Diana at various points. I would say though, that while people have always been people and that's one game that has never really been out of fashion, I wouldn't imagine the interaction to be quite like a modern booty call. It certainly could be - Jack was fairly confident to just go climbing up to her window one night! But I think there would be a certain etiquette about it, with a gentleman, if not a cad, sort of expected to move on towards marriage, or less gallantly toward a sort of permanent 'protection', IE keeping the woman as a mistress, e.g. as with Diana and Canning, or Diana and Johnson.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I'm reading The Yellow Admiral at the moment and Steven and Diana are talking about Jack's ways with the ladies. Diana says "I have it on the best authority
that Jack is no artist in these matters" and that Jack fucks like he's boarding a French frigate.

And Stephens all like "Im sure you know more about such matters than I" which, given oBrien's delight in unspoken subtext, I'm sure is delivered smugly as he understands Diana is saying he's a better lover.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

jazzyjay posted:

I'm reading The Yellow Admiral at the moment and Steven and Diana are talking about Jack's ways with the ladies. Diana says "I have it on the best authority
that Jack is no artist in these matters" and that Jack fucks like he's boarding a French frigate.

And Stephens all like "Im sure you know more about such matters than I" which, given oBrien's delight in unspoken subtext, I'm sure is delivered smugly as he understands Diana is saying he's a better lover.

“Fucks like he’s boarding a frigate” made me laugh so hard I snorted coffee and is going to stick in my mind for the rest of the day.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

“Fucks like he’s boarding a frigate” made me laugh so hard I snorted coffee and is going to stick in my mind for the rest of the day.

so brandishing a sword and roaring and also in blackface for some reason?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
The actual line is superb, I can't remember it exactly and I'm not at home to check it but it's something like "It's all well and good to board and seize a ship in two minutes flat, with guns bellowing and drums pounding, but that's no way to treat a lady." :drat:

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Well remembered, she says "He can board and carry an enemy frigate
with guns roaring and drums beating in a couple of minutes; but that is no way to
give a girl much pleasure."

Followed by the hilarious bit where she and Clarissa tell Sophie about how sex is supposed to be fun and Sophie's all like "so you're saying I should root Captain Apollo, ok then" and Clarissa and Diana are like uh maybe not go that far.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

jazzyjay posted:

Well remembered, she says "He can board and carry an enemy frigate
with guns roaring and drums beating in a couple of minutes; but that is no way to
give a girl much pleasure."

Followed by the hilarious bit where she and Clarissa tell Sophie about how sex is supposed to be fun and Sophie's all like "so you're saying I should root Captain Apollo, ok then" and Clarissa and Diana are like uh maybe not go that far.

iirc they said that after she had hosed the young officer

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I think she may have taken us literally. Sophie does have a tendency to take things literally.

Hilarious

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

My reading is: Diana and Clarissa tell her to go gently caress Captain Apollo the local MILF hunter, and Sophie's like, "How dare you! I never! Plus, uh.. I'd get pregnant, right?" and Clarissa and Diana presumably inform her about the rhythm method as well as the entire realm of non-PIV sex.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

I also read it as Diana and Clarissa encouraging her to have an affair.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Cassian of Imola posted:

I also read it as Diana and Clarissa encouraging her to have an affair.

My take is that they did but they didn't really entirely mean it, it was more a combination of bawdy women talk to get Sophie out of her shell and trying to talk her down from being so freaked out about Aubrey's affair... but then she took them seriously and they both kind of shrugged about it because they didn't see it as a big deal and Jack probably deserved it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just read Post Captain for the fifth (?) time. I almost always skip Master and Commander.

My last read through was a few years ago so it’s been a bit. I’ve read most of the books at least three times or more.

What’s striking me this time is how O’Brian moves things along. There’s not a lot of helpful expository structure (if that’s a thing?) It’s very fluid and flows so freely, sometimes making leaps that he trusts the reader to keep up with.

Honestly I think the cutting out of the Fanciulla is one of the best action scenes in the entire series. The duel into dealing with the mutiny straight into the attack. It’s SO dynamic and moves so quickly. Just such incredible writing.

Also I had forgotten that it’s mentioned in Post Captain that Jack actually meets Lord Cochrane, on whom he is based.

And, similar to the recent conversation on this page, I had forgotten how involved Jack’s relationship with Diana is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah it's almost modernist in how abstract its approach to time is sometimes, i love it