Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Oxyclean posted:

Is there like a "random product" recommendations thread?

Having an urge to get a nice, high quality water bottle - just something for my desk, but ideally easy to open spill proofish.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684302

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Having an urge to get a nice, high quality water bottle - just something for my desk, but ideally easy to open spill proofish.
There are so many types of water bottles I think that's mostly going to come down to personal preference

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Oxyclean posted:

You could get a $246 gem infused double walled bottle from gem-water dot com

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

two fish posted:

Back during the height of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the US, how did the average person view it? Was it something that everyone was constantly terrified of?

i became a teenager right around the time that the general public was first starting to understand that straight people could get AIDS/HIV and schools (at least in my area) were pretty aggressively trying hard to make sure that young sexually active people were aware of this. since i grew up in a rather progressive area there was pretty a strong shift to "safe sex" instead of pushing abstinence, in terms of messaging from the authorities in general .it kind of seemed like the main event that caused public perception of the disease to shift back then was Magic Johnson's diagnosis

that said it didn't really feel "terrifying" to me personally because i didn't know anyone who had it back then, and i wasnt really sexually active enough yet to have to worry about it. you'd hear people say stupid poo poo about catching it from toilet seats or whatever, but that was obviously dumb. by the time i did know people personally who have HIV, the situation had changed and it was no longer a death sentence.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 22, 2024

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Inceltown posted:

You could get a $246 gem infused double walled bottle from gem-water dot com

Water bottle with a butt plug.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Water bottle with a butt plug.

That's true of most water bottles if you're not a coward.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a subwoofer (with its own 120VAC power) and two speakers (powered by USB) for my computer. My old setup was that the subwoofer plugged into the computer's audio out port, and the speakers plugged into the subwoofer. This setup has trouble producing adequate volume without turning up the volume on the speakers high enough that they were making a lot of noise at baseline. I tried plugging the speakers into the computer's audio out port, and the subwoofer into the C/SUB port, but that results in the subwoofer not making any sound at all outside of speaker setup, which is completely bizarre to me.

To be clear: if I right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar, go to Playback, Configure, the speakers are set up as 5.1 surround sound, and clicking on the subwoofer does cause it to make sound. But in other programs, the subwoofer is completely silent.

I don't suppose anyone here has any clue what's going on?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

In 5.1 mode, the sub port will only reproduce what's on the sub channel of actual 5.1 material and it will not automatically mix down something suitable from the left and right channels.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

In 5.1 mode, the sub port will only reproduce what's on the sub channel of actual 5.1 material and it will not automatically mix down something suitable from the left and right channels.

Ah, and the C/SUB line out won't produce any signal in basic stereo mode either, huh? I guess I could use an audio splitter to send the standard audio line out to both the speakers and the subwoofer?

I'm not an audiophile, but I do prefer if my audio doesn't have crackling or noise on it.

Oh, and on that note, when I'm mousing around in Aseprite (a pixel art creation program), I can hear noise coming from my speakers. It happens in other programs as well, just not nearly as much. Literally just moving the mouse causes noise. :psyduck: The mouse is plugged into a USB port on the front of the computer case, the speakers are plugged into the back. Maybe a bad ground somewhere? It's weird.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Has it been conclusively proven whether the cholesterol in eggs raise the level of serum cholesterol in the human bloodstream?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I think the current ruling is that it doesn't, who knows if it'll stay that way or not.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Flournival Dixon posted:

A lot of people thought it was God's punishment to gay people, it wasn't well understood how it was transmitted or anything but a ton of the people catching it were gay men.

Even people who weren't religious homophobes were pretty scared of it and by extension of getting too close to gay people or anyone who might have it because there wasn't much research being done on it since Reagan and Fauci pretty much ignored it and were pretty happy to let a bunch of gay people die.

Reagan yes, but the Fauci part is a bit disingenuous.

Washington Post posted:

Fauci attended an ACT UP meeting in October 1989. After that, some of the group’s leaders on its Treatment and Data Committee would meet the NIAID chief and his deputy, Jim Hill, for dinner at Hill’s townhouse on Capitol Hill.
Fauci said he urged the scientific community and his own staff to include ACT UP members in the drug trial process. “I was pushing and pulling these people and screaming, ‘Hey, we have to deal with them,’ ” he said. “I was in a difficult position because I was trying to convince the establishment that ACT UP had something to offer.”…. At a dinner with Fauci in March, Staley said, “Tony, we’ve got some bad news for you. We know you’ve been advocating for us on this. But we’ve decided to do a gigantic demonstration at the NIH, and it will be in front of your building.” Fauci tried to talk them out of it, but Staley vowed not just to demonstrate, but to get arrested, too, according to Fauci. …. Meanwhile, Fauci, looking out his office window, grew frustrated. “I didn’t like that degree of disruption on campus,” he said, concerned the rowdy action would further alienate scientists from including ACT UP in the drug development process.
Then Fauci noticed a protester climbing onto the building’s front overhang. It was Peter Staley. Police officers pulled Staley off the roof, lowering him into a band of officers who immediately handcuffed him. Fauci said he raced down to the first floor to make sure Peter was okay. There were mounted police and that could be dangerous,” he said.
“A big, burly African American cop dragged me through the first floor of the building, and who should I run into, but Tony Fauci,” Staley said.
“Peter?” Fauci said.
“Hey, Tony,” Staley responded with a grin.
“Are you guys okay?” Fauci asked.
Staley laughed. “See — I told you I’d get arrested,” he said, adding, “I’m just doing my job,” surprising the officer that his perpetrator knew the head of the institute.

As near as I can tell Fauci’s biggest sin was being stodgy and overvaluing civil order (which definitely is one of the types of people that really pisses a lot of hard working civil rights activists off because of the complicity involved in such a stance) , but he seems to have cared more than a lot of other people did and resisted pressure against AIDS research.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

CrazySalamander posted:

Reagan yes, but the Fauci part is a bit disingenuous.

As near as I can tell Fauci’s biggest sin was being stodgy and overvaluing civil order (which definitely is one of the types of people that really pisses a lot of hard working civil rights activists off because of the complicity involved in such a stance) , but he seems to have cared more than a lot of other people did and resisted pressure against AIDS research.

That whole "say the right things but do nothing because of decorum" attitude among people in power is, by my way of thinking, a big part of what's gone wrong in the US.

It's good that he meant well but we have to judge him by what he actually did.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
What's the story behind some people's avatars getting purple hair and glasses? I tihnk there were a few people who had a pug head with those accessories, but like this one seems a bit different:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

wash bucket posted:

That whole "say the right things but do nothing because of decorum" attitude among people in power is, by my way of thinking, a big part of what's gone wrong in the US.

It's good that he meant well but we have to judge him by what he actually did.

I agree, completely on every point. I also feel like it's cool and good to discuss, specifically, the type and nature of their failures as well as the degree. Ya he was wrong but he wasn't Reagan.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

What's the story behind some people's avatars getting purple hair and glasses? I tihnk there were a few people who had a pug head with those accessories, but like this one seems a bit different:

i dont know about the purple hair and glasses but i can tell you that avatar is the cover of an album by king gizzard and the lizard wizzard, and that those guys have a ton of albums - too many possibly - but that is one of the better ones ive heard. petrodragon apocalypse

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I am renting and have a central AC setup. Landlord is refusing to sort it out despite him sending out a technician who measured 82% humid air at the vent outlets lol

I am planning on buying a portable AC unit (the type with a flexible hose to direct the warm exhaust out a window or whatever) because I figured getting a dehumidifier is just as expensive but would heat up my room like an oven, whereas the portable AC will at least provide an additional benefit of cooling me down. Will it be okay for me to put the flexihose exhaust up against the return vent in my room? I figured the warm air will just recirculate to the AC unit and be cooled again. Any issue with this? I'm assuming the portable AC unit will have a drain hose for me to get rid of excess moisture.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Qubee posted:

I am planning on buying a portable AC unit (the type with a flexible hose to direct the warm exhaust out a window or whatever) because I figured getting a dehumidifier is just as expensive but would heat up my room like an oven, whereas the portable AC will at least provide an additional benefit of cooling me down. Will it be okay for me to put the flexihose exhaust up against the return vent in my room? I figured the warm air will just recirculate to the AC unit and be cooled again. Any issue with this? I'm assuming the portable AC unit will have a drain hose for me to get rid of excess moisture.
I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Are you planning to essentially have both ends of the AC inside the house? That won't work. You need to send the heat outside.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Are you planning to essentially have both ends of the AC inside the house? That won't work. You need to send the heat outside.

Yeah pretty much. I don't have any windows, just large glass doors. So despite this portable unit coming with a window frame blocking piece for the hose to exhaust outside, I can't really use it. So I figured I'll just vent the hot exhaust into the return vent of my apartment's central AC unit and let that deal with the warm air.

I'm primarily using this as a dehumidifier, because I'm sick of sleeping in a slightly moist bed every night. It also works out to be the same price as a dehumidifier, but comes with the added benefit of cooling capability. I'll be running it on dry mode for a week just to fully dry out my apartment, then I'll be using the cooling feature sporadically. It's not going to be for continuous use.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Qubee posted:

Yeah pretty much. I don't have any windows, just large glass doors. So despite this portable unit coming with a window frame blocking piece for the hose to exhaust outside, I can't really use it. So I figured I'll just vent the hot exhaust into the return vent of my apartment's central AC unit and let that deal with the warm air.

I'm primarily using this as a dehumidifier, because I'm sick of sleeping in a slightly moist bed every night. It also works out to be the same price as a dehumidifier, but comes with the added benefit of cooling capability. I'll be running it on dry mode for a week just to fully dry out my apartment, then I'll be using the cooling feature sporadically. It's not going to be for continuous use.

It should work fine as just a dehumidifier, as long as it doesn't also require a window to pump the water out of. You can get ones that just collect the water in a tub that you then have to empty manually, which would be fine but you do have to stay on top of it if it's particularly humid. But to use the cooling function you absolutely need a way to vent to the outside. Otherwise you're creating additional heat by running the machine while also letting the original heat back in instead of sending it outside.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

It should work fine as just a dehumidifier, as long as it doesn't also require a window to pump the water out of. You can get ones that just collect the water in a tub that you then have to empty manually, which would be fine but you do have to stay on top of it if it's particularly humid. But to use the cooling function you absolutely need a way to vent to the outside. Otherwise you're creating additional heat by running the machine while also letting the original heat back in instead of sending it outside.

Thanks, you're absolutely right. I didn't realise the crappy Chinese manual made mention of this but it pretty much mirrors your response.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

You can also buy a thing so that it fits on the glass door. Are they sliding glass doors? Something like this: https://a.co/d/eSONo8d

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I use steam remote play to play games from my couch using a computer connected to the TV. One game I've been playing recently is Cloudpunk, which has an expansion called City of Ghosts. Every time you launch the game it asks you if you want to play the base game or the expansion, but it also asks you if you want to set one or the other as default. I accidentally clicked "yes" to that on my couch computer and now I can't figure out how to undo it.

If I open the game properties on the computer it's installed on I see this:

It's already set to "ask when starting game" and, if I launch it from that computer, it does.

Here's what I see on the couch computer:

The option is not there and I automatically get City of Ghosts instead of the base game if I launch it from that computer.

How do I reset that option so it goes back to asking me which game I want to play on the couch computer?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

With what kinds of darts can I use a tree as a dart board?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, and on that note, when I'm mousing around in Aseprite (a pixel art creation program), I can hear noise coming from my speakers. It happens in other programs as well, just not nearly as much. Literally just moving the mouse causes noise. :psyduck: The mouse is plugged into a USB port on the front of the computer case, the speakers are plugged into the back. Maybe a bad ground somewhere? It's weird.

This happens because of a ground loop somewhere in your system, it basically creates an antenna that picks up all the electric interference noises that your system makes. A simple and cheap way of fixing it is getting a USB audio dongle like the Apple USB-C one and using that instead of your motherboard stereo port. If you don't have a USB-C port you can just get an adapter, they're really just USB 2 devices.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

How do I reset that option so it goes back to asking me which game I want to play on the couch computer?

Do you have any games installed on that remote machine? If not try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if it clears the config, otherwise look into deleting any files that that leaves behind.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This happens because of a ground loop somewhere in your system, it basically creates an antenna that picks up all the electric interference noises that your system makes. A simple and cheap way of fixing it is getting a USB audio dongle like the Apple USB-C one and using that instead of your motherboard stereo port. If you don't have a USB-C port you can just get an adapter, they're really just USB 2 devices.

Thanks! So a dongle for the left/right speakers, then plug the subwoofer into the audio line out, seems simple enough.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks! So a dongle for the left/right speakers, then plug the subwoofer into the audio line out, seems simple enough.

No, if you have a 2.1 setup, generally you want to send the same signal to the sub as to the speakers and adjust the crossover on the sub. Just get a headphone Y splitter if your sub doesn't have a passthrough. Windows can be a dick about playing through two devices at once, best to stick to just the dongle.

There's also a General Audio Questions thread that might be more help if you get stuck!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
OK, fair enough. The sub does have a passthrough, I was just trying to avoid that because of the noise...which wasn't coming from the sub, come to think! So here's hoping the dongle fixes it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
There are virtual audio tools you can use to trick windows, but it’s probably more technical than you’d want. I used voicemeeter to transmit to both my shelf speakers and usb dongle wireless headphones at the same time, so I could just adjust volume/power on one or the other and it would just work, no windows audio source fuckery required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i'm finally getting around to setting up a venmo account, but i don't see any way to set up 2-factor authentication. where do i go to set this up?

e: specifically on venmo.com