Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Starting Oathbringer, and it's nice to be back in this world. The Prologues becoming a Roshomon style story all about the same event is one of my favorite things going in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I should be finishing up The Lost Metal by tonight. I’ll detail my thoughts for all three books (SoS,BoM, and LM) plus Secret History after.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Well, finally got around to starting Mistborn Era 2.

Having just finished book 1 there... it really feels like an overly long prologue for this series of books. That said, the hook at the end of this book is finally enough for me to get over the starting and stopping I've been doing on this volume over the past few months and I'm actually interested in what is going to happen next.

Current read status:
https://cloud.nitrogendioxide.xyz/s/A3bdJPX9kefcrHM

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well, finally got around to starting Mistborn Era 2.

Having just finished book 1 there... it really feels like an overly long prologue for this series of books. That said, the hook at the end of this book is finally enough for me to get over the starting and stopping I've been doing on this volume over the past few months and I'm actually interested in what is going to happen next.

Current read status:
https://cloud.nitrogendioxide.xyz/s/A3bdJPX9kefcrHM

Brandon actually said in either the preface (or after-word, I forgot) that Alloy of Law was actually a writing exercise turned story. You’ll get the juicy goodness you came for in the last three books, even though Alloy of Law is a hell of a read as is.

Anyways….

Spoilers from Shadows of Self to The Lost Metal Below (Including Mistborn: Secret History)

• The Ghostbloods are Kelsier’s Group. drat. I’d love to get a story sometime of how that group was formed and how the timelines align because we see them in Stormlight Archive actively working and they appeared to have been on Roshar for quite some time.
  • RIP Wayne. The most hilarious character I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. I wonder how he will be remembered by or what his title will be in Mistborn Era Three.
  • The Lost Metal read like an Indiana Jones story, with extra juice and divine interventions. I loved it.
  • Speaking of which, it’s clear that these books (and I assume The Sunlit Man because I’m starting the book after I post this) that Brandon Sanderson is angling us toward on a trajectory to full-on Cosmere war or conflicts where our favorite characters (or foods) start popping up everywhere. It’s awesome.
  • Chouta made its way to Scadriel. I guess I gotta try to make it sometime soon. Lopen, Wayne, and countless others say it’s good so I guess I gotta try it now.
  • I forget what trope it was but the whole unsuspecting item being the Bands of Mourning at the temple to the Lord Ruler got a laugh out of me when I realized what was happening.
  • So Kelsier did become a God for a small amount of time and he was also the one who instructed Spook to tell Vin not to wear metal. I should’ve seen that in hindsight.
  • It was also cool to see Perservation at the beginning of SH to decide on the number 16.
  • Bleeder turning out to be Lessie who was a Kandra all along is a little disturbing. What would’ve happened if Wax wanted kids with her? How would’ve that worked?
  • I don’t understand those blue lines that Wax saw when he was sick in Lost Metal. I saw it was a popular highlight on Kindle and when I circled back to it after I finished the book, I still do not understand what I’m looking at.
  • So, the Ghostbloods aren’t evil. They just make sure worlds survive. By any means necessary. Hmmm.
  • Brandon really hyped up New Sean only for us to leave the place in about six to seven chapters. Lol.
  • It was awesome to find out Wayne was obsessively rich this entire time after he invested in Electricity. I bet his sports league idea/investment becomes incredibly popular further enriching Allriande.

Alright, time for The Sunlit Man.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

A Sneaker Broker posted:

• I don’t understand those blue lines that Wax saw when he was sick in Lost Metal. I saw it was a popular highlight on Kindle and when I circled back to it after I finished the book, I still do not understand what I’m looking at.

The Lost Metal spoilers: The experiment Wax did at the start of the book produced a tiny bit of lerasium which he burned by instinct, making him a (very weak) full Mistborn (confirmed indirectly here). Those blue lines are one of the clues sprinkled throughout the text.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Brandon actually said in either the preface (or after-word, I forgot) that Alloy of Law was actually a writing exercise turned story. You’ll get the juicy goodness you came for in the last three books, even though Alloy of Law is a hell of a read as is.

Anyways….

Spoilers from Shadows of Self to The Lost Metal Below (Including Mistborn: Secret History)

• The Ghostbloods are Kelsier’s Group. drat. I’d love to get a story sometime of how that group was formed and how the timelines align because we see them in Stormlight Archive actively working and they appeared to have been on Roshar for quite some time.
  • RIP Wayne. The most hilarious character I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. I wonder how he will be remembered by or what his title will be in Mistborn Era Three.
  • The Lost Metal read like an Indiana Jones story, with extra juice and divine interventions. I loved it.
  • Speaking of which, it’s clear that these books (and I assume The Sunlit Man because I’m starting the book after I post this) that Brandon Sanderson is angling us toward on a trajectory to full-on Cosmere war or conflicts where our favorite characters (or foods) start popping up everywhere. It’s awesome.
  • Chouta made its way to Scadriel. I guess I gotta try to make it sometime soon. Lopen, Wayne, and countless others say it’s good so I guess I gotta try it now.
  • I forget what trope it was but the whole unsuspecting item being the Bands of Mourning at the temple to the Lord Ruler got a laugh out of me when I realized what was happening.
  • So Kelsier did become a God for a small amount of time and he was also the one who instructed Spook to tell Vin not to wear metal. I should’ve seen that in hindsight.
  • It was also cool to see Perservation at the beginning of SH to decide on the number 16.
  • Bleeder turning out to be Lessie who was a Kandra all along is a little disturbing. What would’ve happened if Wax wanted kids with her? How would’ve that worked?
  • So, the Ghostbloods aren’t evil. They just make sure worlds survive. By any means necessary. Hmmm.
  • Brandon really hyped up New Sean only for us to leave the place in about six to seven chapters. Lol.
  • It was awesome to find out Wayne was obsessively rich this entire time after he invested in Electricity. I bet his sports league idea/investment becomes incredibly popular further enriching Allriande.

Alright, time for The Sunlit Man.

Great post as always. One thing to note is that Brandon said the Wax & Wayne books take place during the time skip between Stormlight Archive 5 and 6. You can infer that from Sazed's letter to Hoid that he's searching for "A....sword, you might say, who can both protect and kill." And that sword of course is Wax.

Personally, I think the Ghostbloods are first and foremost an organization Kelsier founded to protect Scadrial, not necessarily all worlds. And that the individual parts of the organization have a lot of freedom on how to act. Which explains their status as an antagonist in Stormlight Archive.

As for Wax and Lessie, I suspect "Lessie" would just not have become pregnant in any case. I don't think Kandra can become pregnant in the first place.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Torrannor posted:

Great post as always. One thing to note is that Brandon said the Wax & Wayne books take place during the time skip between Stormlight Archive 5 and 6. You can infer that from Sazed's letter to Hoid that he's searching for "A....sword, you might say, who can both protect and kill." And that sword of course is Wax.

Personally, I think the Ghostbloods are first and foremost an organization Kelsier founded to protect Scadrial, not necessarily all worlds. And that the individual parts of the organization have a lot of freedom on how to act. Which explains their status as an antagonist in Stormlight Archive.

As for Wax and Lessie, I suspect "Lessie" would just not have become pregnant in any case. I don't think Kandra can become pregnant in the first place.

Well I’ll be damned. Full Stormlight Spoilers: I never knew about the letters until now that someone pointed them out. I read four big tomes and never noticed. I was taking the epigraphs as pre-ludes for what the chapter was about to tell me. Never did I not realize I was reading a Cosmere bending letter; one part dedicated to Gods in each Stormlight book. Sheesh.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

So I finished The Sunlit Man..

• So Sigzil, the main math man of Bridge Four, is actually a Cosmere traveler who runs away from the Night Brigade.
  • Aux is hilarious. RIP.
  • Some worlds know how to use Space Travel. Scadrians already can do that, so it looks like Harmony kept up his end of the bargain with Kelsier to super-charge Scadriel with technology.
  • I love how people from other worlds are scared of Shardblades, no matter how advanced they are.
  • Bridge Four for Life.
  • Hoid has a dawnshard. Huh. Go figure.
  • I can't help but wonder, what could be going through Rysn's mind at this point in the story?

Now finally, I'm in the approach and final landing sequence. Current reading order:

Elantris - Arcanum (w/ Emperor's Soul) - Tress - Yumi

A Sneaker Broker fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 6, 2024

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

A Sneaker Broker posted:

So I finished The Sunlit Man..

• So Sigzil, the main math man of Bridge Four, is actually a Cosmere traveler who runs away from the Night Brigade.
  • Aux is hilarious. RIP.
  • Some worlds know how to use Space Travel. Scadrians already can do that, so it looks like Harmony kept up his end of the bargain with Kelsier to super-charge Scadriel with technology.
  • I love how people from other worlds are scared of Shardblades, no matter how advanced they are.
  • Bridge Four for Life.
  • Hoid has a dawnshard. Huh. Go figure.
  • I wonder how Rysn must be feeling right now.

Some comments:

This is some distance in the future, I don't think we can assume Harmony definitely helped the Scadrians as much as Kelsier would have wanted. Definitely possible though.

Hoid had a dawnshard. Though I suppose he probably does have one presently in the other book series. Depends on what time you're talking about.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pik_d posted:

Hoid had a dawnshard. Though I suppose he probably does have one presently in the other book series. Depends on what time you're talking about.

This was my understanding - Sigzil and Hoid had both held one previously. Is it left unstated whether it was the dawnshard that Rysn is holding?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

mewse posted:

This was my understanding - Sigzil and Hoid had both held one previously. Is it left unstated whether it was the dawnshard that Rysn is holding?

(Dawnshard, Sunlit Man, Stormlight in general) I'd say no, I feel like the timelines of when they have them overlaps too much for it to be the same one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

mewse posted:

It's unstated, but it's extremely unlikely. There's no good reason why the Change command would abhor violence. Violence is really, really good at making things change.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Clip of them figuring out "Muppets: Stormlight Archive"

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6hMVB8Pa9c/?igsh=eXY4OTQxb3cweDJv

Edit: personally I think Sam Eagle would make a great Kaladin. Overly serious and humorless and a bit oblivious

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 7, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Hoid is the only human.

Teravangian is played by Kermit.

Elmo is Szeth

Oscar is Rayse

Animal is Dalinar

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Electric Teeth as Bridge Four is objectively correct, though.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

Animal is Dalinar

Makes complete sense. Oathbringer Spoiler: Don't let Animal rock out a little, and he might burn down everything.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

Electric Teeth as Bridge Four is objectively correct, though.

:hai:

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Makes complete sense. Oathbringer Spoiler: Don't let Animal rock out a little, and he might burn down everything.

I dunno, I think Kermit could still work, the juxtaposition of why everyone is suspicious and terrified of this little green guy and then we see a flashback to one of his crazy freakouts and suddenly everything is on fire

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

less than 1000 badges left for the convention

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

and sold out (though that includes ones in carts)

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I just finished The Sunlit Man. I don't know how unpopular this opinion is, but in my opinion, this is the best book Sando has written.

Sigzil was fantastic, and I absolutely loved his relationship with Aux. Absolutely laden with heavy backstory, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out in Stormlight 5 - that's when I suspect something will happen which will make him abandon the Windrunners (maybe his spren gets killed by an anti-light dagger?).

I also loved his verbal takedown of Hoid, calling him out on his bullshit. Hoid is slowly becoming more and more villain-ish in his portrayals, even if he's sided with the angels so far. I don't think Hoid is going to be on the right side when everything comes to a head a millions years from now. Not to say he'll be on the wrong side, but he'll be on his own, and that'll be his downfall.

Loved seeing Scadrians and their absolute terror that Nomad might be 'oathed'. Goes to show that everybody should be rightly scared of Radiants and their powers.

Crazy theory - Kaladin is still alive as of Sunlit Man, as one of the new Heralds. That's the only explanation I can think of for why Nomad thought he saw Kal before realizing it was Wit.

I want to ask Sando how Hoid would have dealt with Canticle if he was stuck there instead of Nomad.

10/10.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

I want to ask Sando how Hoid would have dealt with Canticle if he was stuck there instead of Nomad.

10/10.

He's basically invincible and is better at this magic hacking stuff, so probably just treated it as a beach vacation and gotten a tan

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Lucas Archer posted:

Crazy theory - Kaladin is still alive as of Sunlit Man, as one of the new Heralds. That's the only explanation I can think of for why Nomad thought he saw Kal before realizing it was Wit..
I really hope not. It's been repeated too often across the Cosmere that you're really not supposed to live forever, and doing so does horrible things to the minds of the immortals. The Heralds are all bugfuck insane just from living too long, I don't want that for Kal.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CapnAndy posted:

I really hope not. It's been repeated too often across the Cosmere that you're really not supposed to live forever, and doing so does horrible things to the minds of the immortals. The Heralds are all bugfuck insane just from living too long, I don't want that for Kal.

(Sunlit Man) Sigzil is still alive, and he's changed sure, but more from being on the run than living too long. I also think Kal is still alive, likely as whatever replaced the old Heralds. I get your concerns, but this isn't far enough into the future for Sigzil and Kaladin to go insane. I can see Kaladin dying or something in whatever "ending" the Cosmere ends up happening.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, I agree - I'm not saying this would be good for Kaladin or any others who might be tapped to re-start the Oathpact (which by the way is not something I think is absolutely *going* to happen, just one theory), but I can't imagine any other reason why Kal would still be kicking around a hundred years after the events of Stormlight. Immortality sucks for sure, but a hundred years or hundred fifty years extra won't push anyone over the edge. The Heralds had centuries of torture to go along with their long lives, and Hoid has been alive for millennia. I feel like there's a vast canyon of difference between them and someone who just became immortal a couple centuries previous.

All that being said, I'll fully admit to not being certain about this idea.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm nearing the end of part 4 of Oathbringer, so this may get answered at some point in this book or in RoW, but I'm wondering re: Heralds we know that if they are killed on Roshar, they get teleported to Damnation (Braize) and while I still don't understand the mechanics behind that, does that remain true no matter how they're killed? What if they got killed by a Shardblade? What if they got killed by Nightblood? What if they traveled the Cognitive Realm and went to Scadrial and were shanked by a beggar?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mordiceius posted:

I'm nearing the end of part 4 of Oathbringer, so this may get answered at some point in this book or in RoW, but I'm wondering re: Heralds we know that if they are killed on Roshar, they get teleported to Damnation (Braize) and while I still don't understand the mechanics behind that, does that remain true no matter how they're killed? What if they got killed by a Shardblade? What if they got killed by Nightblood? What if they traveled the Cognitive Realm and went to Scadrial and were shanked by a beggar?

That's a big fat RAFO

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

That's a big fat RAFO

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I tried to get started with Elantris and tapped out about halfway into Chapter 2. I'll return to it after I finish Sword of Kaigen but it's evident that Brando didn't get his magic on Book 1.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pik_d posted:

That's a big fat RAFO

Hah. I assumed as such.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I tried to get started with Elantris and tapped out about halfway into Chapter 2. I'll return to it after I finish Sword of Kaigen but it's evident that Brando didn't get his magic on Book 1.

Elantris is the one book where I would recommend that people just go read https://coppermind.net/wiki/Summary:Elantris and skip the book. Only read Elantris if you have no other books on your TBR list.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Elantris is the one book where I would recommend that people just go read https://coppermind.net/wiki/Summary:Elantris and skip the book. Only read Elantris if you have no other books on your TBR list.

I just did that so I'm glad I am sharing brain cells here. Also, damnit, I didn't get any badges because I slept in.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I just did that so I'm glad I am sharing brain cells here. Also, damnit, I didn't get any badges because I slept in.

Elantris is a book I find to be intensely frustrating. You spend the least amount of time with the most interesting character (Hrathen) and then the most time with the least interesting character (Sarene). Elements of the plot often feel either extremely rushed or glacially slow because he's trying to keep to the rigid format of alternating chapters. For the audiobook, you'd often get a 50 minute Sarene chapter followed by a 6 minute Hrathen chapter. Raoden isn't that interesting of a character because even Sanderson admits Raoden has no arc. He wanted to try to write a character that was already just a cool good dude that didn't necessarily need any personal growth - and that just doesn't work. There are characters that just completely disappear from the story. Also there are multiple elements of the story that have little to no payoff. The main one I point to with this is that Sarene spends multiple chapters teaching the women of the court fencing. Later during the climax when the enemy is attacking, the women pull out fencing swords to fight back - only to be immediately defeated literally a sentence later, accomplishing nothing.

The audiobook narrator is also atrociously terrible. He deliveries every line as if he has a smirk on his face.

There are Elantris defenders out there and I'm sure there are some in this thread that will talk about how it is actually a really great book (it isn't).

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Mordiceius posted:

There are Elantris defenders out there and I'm sure there are some in this thread that will talk about how it is actually a really great book (it isn't).

Hey, it's me! Although I fully recognize why I have a fond attachment to Elantris - it was the first Sanderson book I ever read, back when it first came out. I think I've mentioned in the thread before, but the reason I picked it up and read it was two-fold - one, the premise of a city of dying gods was incredibly interesting to me, and I hadn't seen it done before. Second, it was a standalone fantasy book. In a world of Wheel of Time's, Game of Thrones, Black Companies, so on and so on, the existence of a fantasy novel that didn't have a billion books following it was enough to make me excited. Jokes on me in that sense, I suppose.

So I really enjoy Elantris, if only for nostalgia reasons. I haven't read it in years.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Something has been bothering me now that I'm ~25% of the way through Mistborn: Shadows of Self.

So the Kolass are still around and kicking (and apparently breeding, though I don't remember that being possible in Era 1.) And I don't remember Ruin being actually killed, just his plot to use Preservation being thwarted by the Vin and Sazed (when he became Harmony) by burning up all the Preservation juice before Ruin could get his hands on it. But Ruin should, like, still be out there puppeting the Kolass right? Like he can't be totally gone since the investiture for Hemalurgy still works by virtue of the Kolass and Marsh (in the epilogue of the last book) not just falling to pieces. So is Ruin just playing it cool with Harmony now? Is Sazed not at all concerned about Hemalurgy still being used?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You seem to have forgotten the entire sanderlanche at the ends of Hero of Ages. Chapter 76 isn’t a bad place to start rereading from in this case.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Also, where the gently caress does the investiture for Feruchemy come from? Allomancy obviously came from Preservation, now Harmomy, Hemalurgy came from Ruin. Is there a third, unnamed Shard on Scadrial? Or do I dramatically misunderstand where these powers flow from and they don't actually flow from the corresponding Shards?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also, where the gently caress does the investiture for Feruchemy come from? Allomancy obviously came from Preservation, now Harmomy, Hemalurgy came from Ruin. Is there a third, unnamed Shard on Scadrial? Or do I dramatically misunderstand where these powers flow from and they don't actually flow from the corresponding Shards?

(All Mistborn Era 1) There is no rule that one type of power has to come from one shard. I feel like Feruchemy was formed when Scadrial was created by Ati and Leras, probably by both of them since it sits in the middle of the "end positive" that is Allomancy and "end negative" that is Hemalurgy.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Something has been bothering me now that I'm ~25% of the way through Mistborn: Shadows of Self.

So the Kolass are still around and kicking (and apparently breeding, though I don't remember that being possible in Era 1.) And I don't remember Ruin being actually killed, just his plot to use Preservation being thwarted by the Vin and Sazed (when he became Harmony) by burning up all the Preservation juice before Ruin could get his hands on it. But Ruin should, like, still be out there puppeting the Kolass right? Like he can't be totally gone since the investiture for Hemalurgy still works by virtue of the Kolass and Marsh (in the epilogue of the last book) not just falling to pieces. So is Ruin just playing it cool with Harmony now? Is Sazed not at all concerned about Hemalurgy still being used?

Full Mistborn Era 1 spoilers Harmony is Ruin (and Preservation). If Sazed had only picked up the Preservation shard, he would still be referred to as Preservation. Sazed took up both shards and now goes by Harmony - kind of a Yin-Yang sort of deal.

As for the Koloss - yeah, their situation is odd in Era 2 and hardly touched on. They seem to be mostly a tribal society that lives in the wastelands? I feel like that's one area of Era 2 that is underdeveloped.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Nitrousoxide posted:

As was previously said, reread the Sanderlanche at the end of Hero of Ages. That will answer this question. As for Hemalurgy being used still, you just gotta RAFO.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Boy, I should have waited, because the next chapter had Waxillium sitting down in a carriage to have a chat with Harmony about (nearly) everything I asked about lol

Edit:

The traditional voice actor for Hoid, Chris Davenport, playing Mister Suit/Edwarn Ladrian is throwing me for a loop. Hoid is apparently still around, he gets a call out as driving Wax's carriage when he has a chat with Harmony, but there's like no way Wax would fail to notice his uncle is his new carriage driver, so I don't think that Edwarn is actually Hoid. Also, Edwarn has been a long-term figure in Wax's life, which would be very unlike Hoid who seems to be pretty transiant in these stories.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If you missed something as major as Ruin being killed and Sazed picking up both Shards, you really need to go back and read again.