Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I traded in my 17 a4 and got a 21 s5 sportback over the weekend

Loving the car but anything I should worry about with it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

lamentable dustman posted:

Nothing I can think of. The only non-maintenance-related work I had done to my B9 A4 without my choosing was when the water pump/thermostat housing gave out it was leaking some coolant and needed to be replaced. I would imagine the S models use the same setup but not 100% sure. Enjoy it - B9 S4 owner now so I can help ya out. Advice 1: tune it :)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The PCV system is a known weak point but Audi has extended the warranty on it to 8 years I think.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Found this walking the dog, thats not even worth an exorcism.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Lol are any water pumps on VAG cars good?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dialhforhero posted:

Lol are any water pumps on VAG cars good?

I've never had waterpump issues on any of my TDIs or my Audi 5 cylinders, but they are also dead simple waterpumps. I also avoid the ones with plastic impellers.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

lamentable dustman posted:

I'm at ~74k on my 2018 S5 Sportback. The only non-standard maintenance I've had done was to replace a control arm bushing and a cracked oil filter housing, both around the 65k mark.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

The PCV system is a known weak point but Audi has extended the warranty on it to 8 years I think.

How is PCV still a problem!?! I can do the replacement of it on my B7 A4 in my sleep at this point. JFC.

Who is the engineer in Graz that has not gotten the memo that the PCV design is flawed.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
At the end of a 2 hour drive, I get off my exit and a red OIL PRESSURE ENGINE OFF! light shows up, so I pull over, and I can hear a scraping noise. I get out and smell burning oil. I wait 10 minutes and coast as much as I can to the last 2 miles.

How hosed am I?

Edit: 2010 Golf, and I literally just had an oil change. Replaced the oil pump in DEC22.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My 2006 jetta that happened when the speed sensor, not the cam one or the road speed one was dead. We replaced and it was fine do you have a vag reader?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Celexi posted:

VW/Audi Exorcism Thread: do you have a vag reader?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Celexi posted:

My 2006 jetta that happened when the speed sensor, not the cam one or the road speed one was dead. We replaced and it was fine do you have a vag reader?

Nope, 2 hours from home.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Red posted:

At the end of a 2 hour drive, I get off my exit and a red OIL PRESSURE ENGINE OFF! light shows up, so I pull over, and I can hear a scraping noise. I get out and smell burning oil. I wait 10 minutes and coast as much as I can to the last 2 miles.

How hosed am I?

Edit: 2010 Golf, and I literally just had an oil change. Replaced the oil pump in DEC22.

You really don't want to run it with low oil pressure at all. If you just had it changed maybe they screwed up on tightening the oil plug or filter and it drained out while you were driving. Did you check the dip stick to see if you have oil? It's possible the engine will survive since modern oils are good at sticking to the stuff, but it's impossible to tell over the internet. Don't drive it if there's no oil pressure, have it towed to your mechanic and/or check it yourself.

I had my oil pressure light come on a couple of years ago and was freaking out but it turned out in my case just to be the oil pressure switch going bad. This doesn't sound like your situation, unfortunately.

Also, if you end up with a long tow ahead of you, AAA is good for cheaper tow costs in the US. I had to get a tow for about 30 miles back from university one day and it was like $1/mile with the AAA plan. You can sign up any time, I don't think they care that your problem started before you joined.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

To reiterate, see if you have low oil with the dip stick. Find out where you're losing it, which is likely the drain plug or filter if it was changed recently, one could be loose or missing or something. Put more oil in and hope for the best. If you need to, take it to a mechanic because driving it without oil means the engine will seize.

Also while it's fresh in your mind make a note of when things happened, when the oil was changed, when you had a problem, what you did to fix it. If your engine is destroyed because of an oil change the shop is potentially liable for the damage but it can be hard to prove. Take pictures if you find oil coming out of the engine at somewhere they worked on it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
If you REALLY want to be German with your VW, then switch to T-Mobile so you can also get AAA for free.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions - Im using my USAA roadside for the first time ever.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Red posted:

How hosed am I?

If you drove the car with no oil in it for 2 miles you've probably destroyed the engine, it doesn't matter that much if there was coasting in that distance or not. Maybe I'm not understanding what you meant to say.

Do you have the receipt for the oil change? Do not lose it!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rexxed posted:

Also, if you end up with a long tow ahead of you, AAA is good for cheaper tow costs in the US. I had to get a tow for about 30 miles back from university one day and it was like $1/mile with the AAA plan. You can sign up any time, I don't think they care that your problem started before you joined.

Doesn't AAA require like a 24 hour window between signing up and getting a tow to keep people from abusing it?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

trilobite terror posted:

Every day that I drove an Atlas Id rue it not being a Touareg, but instead its conceptual opposite: a car purpose-built exclusively for mediocrity instead of capability and for squeezing more revenue out of an already overpriced transaction

Truth. I own a 2017 Touareg and was going to buy a new one when they decided to axe the line and come out with the monstrosity they call the Atlas.

Gutless fuckin wonder it is. I was forced to go to an Audi Q8 to get a semblance of a Touareg back.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Nitr0 posted:

I was forced to go to an Audi Q8 to get a semblance of a Touareg back.
Maybe because Touareg was/is Q7/Cayenne in VW makeup? Excluding the Chinese-market Phideon only VW with longitunal engine layout, Atlas is "normal" MQB transverse engine layout.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah Atlas is garbage sadly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nitr0 posted:

Truth. I own a 2017 Touareg and was going to buy a new one when they decided to axe the line and come out with the monstrosity they call the Atlas.

Gutless fuckin wonder it is. I was forced to go to an Audi Q8 to get a semblance of a Touareg back.

shoulda got a cayenne

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I dont mind the Taos but it would be better if they didnt just make it a few inches wider and higher on the wheelbase.

What I am saying is: a golf is still better.

I cant be the only one furious that the idiot carbuyer market wants a crossover hatchback instead of a car hatchback. They arent any bigger! They are less fuel efficient and slower! They just made the wheelbase bigger and lifted the suspension!!!

I feel like Im taking crazy pills!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A large portion of normies that I talk to about driving/cars have a strong preference to sit higher "because everyone is driving tucks, I feel like I can't see anything in a car." There's some valid utility in that point of view. I get it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
:shrug: I'm really enjoying my 24 cross sport. It's the only vehicle my three teen boys could sit in and not bitch/fight like crazy. All three rows (with exception of the stupid large expeditions which I refuse to own) were too tight and all other two row vehicles were too narrow.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
If your car has three rows it isnt a crossover fwiw.

I understand the whole truck thing, but it is still stupid because owning trucks when you live in the suburbs is stupid :colbert:

I am big mad that I cant buy a non-GTI or -R Golf as you can see.

E: also I realize there is probably now some type of car that is a crossover SUV chimaera thing but I am talking the original lifted hatch compact or sedan type.

I see a Touareg and I see my SportWagen lifted. I see a Taos and I see my Golf lifted.

I just want my car drat it!!

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 8, 2024

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Cross sport is two rows, assuming you were directing to me on that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dialhforhero posted:

I see a Touareg and I see my SportWagen lifted.

you have weird ideas about how big cars are

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

trilobite terror posted:

shoulda got a cayenne

next time

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

next time

get a used one for super cheap and turn it into an overlander

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Red posted:

How hosed am I?

Update: The valve was left open and I was just slowly draining oil. They closed it, filled it up and Im fine. But now I feel like I gotta call the place that did my oil change last week.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Red posted:

Update: The valve was left open and I was just slowly draining oil. They closed it, filled it up and Im fine. But now I feel like I gotta call the place that did my oil change last week.

you should eviscerate that shop

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Years ago I took my Isuzu Amigo in for an oil change at a place my wife's family had used for years. A new mechanic did the job, but as I was on my way back to the in-law's house, all the warning lights popped on. He had forgotten to put any oil back in after draining it. That was fun.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Red posted:

I would argue that you are definitely not fine. That scraping noise was the normally oily, lubricated bits being damaged. You definitely need to document this and talk to them in case your engine shits itself in short order.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Sitting in the Jiffy Lube lobby waiting for the tech to "bring it around", I'm reading the "services completed" printout for my oil change. The tech comes back in "oh, can I see that sheet? It tells me how many quarts to put in".

That didn't inspire much confidence in me.

I'm not saying everybody has the ability/time to DIY, but I've gotten my oil changed exactly twice in my life and both times left me feeling uneasy. Hella expensive, too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

NoWake posted:

Sitting in the Jiffy Lube lobby waiting for the tech to "bring it around", I'm reading the "services completed" printout for my oil change. The tech comes back in "oh, can I see that sheet? It tells me how many quarts to put in".

That didn't inspire much confidence in me.

I'm not saying everybody has the ability/time to DIY, but I've gotten my oil changed exactly twice in my life and both times left me feeling uneasy. Hella expensive, too.

The first and last time I went to a valvoline the tech sent me home with the oil filler cap sitting on top of my engine, they didn't even put it back on and close it they just took out the funnel and shut the hood I guess

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Red posted:

Update: The valve was left open and I was just slowly draining oil. They closed it, filled it up and I’m fine. But now I feel like I gotta call the place that did my oil change last week.

You sustained damage to the motor. Do you have it in writing from the shop that you towed to that your valve was 'left open'? Now is the time to get as much in writing as you can from them (which valve, etc). I'd be calling a lawyer and looking to have the oil change place be paying for a motor replacement. The fact you heard something means you will absolutely have premature engine failure.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

trilobite terror posted:

The first and last time I went to a valvoline the tech sent me home with the oil filler cap sitting on top of my engine, they didn't even put it back on and close it they just took out the funnel and shut the hood I guess

I did this once when I was like 17. Oops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

You sustained damage to the motor. Do you have it in writing from the shop that you towed to that your valve was 'left open'? Now is the time to get as much in writing as you can from them (which valve, etc). I'd be calling a lawyer and looking to have the oil change place be paying for a motor replacement. The fact you heard something means you will absolutely have premature engine failure.

Oh, that's absolutely a concern. The problem is that when I picked up the car, the mechanic who worked on it was gone for the day, so I got the secondhand explanation. I connected the shop that did the oil change last week with this shop, and the message I've gotten is that the repair of the leak should be covered by warranty - but I'll have to follow up about any permanent damage.

I'm hoping to drive this 14-year old car as long as humanly possible, especially since I live in Virginia, and older cars come with lower luxury taxes.