Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008
I've not been regularly on SA in a few years, so please forgive any ignorance - what's the difference between TBB and Scholastic Book Fair? It seems like the same kind of threads in both, and I couldn't figure it out from context clues. What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/archivalrival/status/1785766435022639423

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nice, covers here:
https://www.tumblr.com/watcherscrown/740693532976807936/this-is-my-magnum-opus?source=share

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Absolutely incredible.

For those who do don't want to have to go/log-in to tumblr:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lol wtf this completely changes the context in which the tweet's words were written. would have been nice to know because i stared at the post blankly otherwise :confused:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

hold on :crossarms:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

someone made a list of cliche books, then someone else mocked up covers for them

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
3 stars, it was alright

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Meningism posted:

I've not been regularly on SA in a few years, so please forgive any ignorance - what's the difference between TBB and Scholastic Book Fair? It seems like the same kind of threads in both, and I couldn't figure it out from context clues. What am I missing?

The Scholastic Fair is more hands off modding (FYAD-lite rules) and folks forget about it so traffic is slower

also welcome back

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ohhh it's booktok.txt and booktok.pcx. I get it :mmmhmm:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A “Xeet” reposting a tumblr post o_O

Twitter is truly dead

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vaguely queer witches at battle school, lol, yep that's YA

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

A “Xeet” reposting a tumblr post o_O

Twitter is truly dead

idk half of social media posts have been screenshots from other social media sites for a good while

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All witches have huge gay cocks. If you're Anglo poo poo the gently caress off you know nothing about this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(Seriouspost.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

All witches have huge gay cocks. If you're Anglo poo poo the gently caress off you know nothing about this.

theres a story about a danish king who went to finland and was tricked into eating a horse cock by a witch, i think she cooked it with onions and leek

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I was reading lists of books that won big awards the past year. Then afterwards went back to a few previous years. This isn't how I actually go about finding things to read but I like to be aware of important releases. Anyways one blurb catches my attention because it calls the book 'a bit dark' when nearly all of them were in one way or another. So I go to the full synopsis on Wikipedia:

It's about a teenage boy who is abducted and taken to a secret dungeon where he's eventually joined by others. Meeting the first couple he thinks that maybe they've done something wrong and are being punished Saw style. But then a few others come and at least one seems like a really good person and another is a nine-year-old girl who never hurt anybody. Unlike Saw there are no challenges at first. But they are played with. Sometimes food comes and sometimes it doesn't. If they do things like talk about escaping they're punished. When they seem to be getting along too well and even develop some hope, the unseen tormentor(s) send(s) liquor and other drugs down to them so they'll say things they'll regret.

Dark? I guess. But there's no bright light at the end of the tunnel:

One day the supplies stop coming. There is no cryptic message sent afterwards (lights and elevators had previously been used to show when the captor's pleasure or displeasure). They don't know if the person who has them was caught but the police never find the dungeon, whether the captor died, or maybe the captor just got bored and left. As there are cameras recording the bathroom there's the idea that this might be some horrifying webcam show on the dark web. But there is not even the closure of knowing that much. Without food they weaken, and then weaken still with nothing to drink. Eventually the lights turn off as does the heating. They die one by one. The protagonist and the little girl are the last to remain. When the girl dies the teenager is happy she went peacefully in her sleep... before proceeding to eat her out of desperation. It's almost certain that the protagonist dies very shortly thereafter, as the book closes by saying that it hurt and hurt and hurt for him until it didn't hurt anymore.

Wow. What kind of sadists or masochists on this awards committee. Time to find out what the award is called so I can avoid books that win it, for my own sanity. Ah, here it is, in the original list. It's the... the... [X] Award for Young Adult Literature.

... ... ... Don't kids have enough scary things in the world to keep them awake at night?

e: The Bunker Diary

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 5, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

could you put the author/title somewhere in your post, i dont wanna accidentally buy it for my niece or something

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Carthag Tuek posted:

theres a story about a danish king who went to finland and was tricked into eating a horse cock by a witch, i think she cooked it with onions and leek

did it taste good?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cumpantry posted:

did it taste good?

tbh i dont remember, but it kinda sounds good

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i wouldn't turn my nose up at it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cumpantry posted:

i wouldn't turn my nose up at it

:pedro_nodding.gif:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Carthag Tuek posted:

could you put the author/title somewhere in your post, i dont wanna accidentally buy it for my niece or something

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Carthag Tuek posted:

Had to go back to Wikipedia but it's called The Bunker Diary. It won the Carnegie Medal for children's literature.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Children's literary awards really love books that will traumatise children.

Watership Down is a Carnegie award winner.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

yeah but that's a good book

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What's the consensus on The Sword of Kaigen?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I remember reading a book in middle school about a boy who discovers a crotchety, winged creature (implied to be an archaeoptyryx?) in someone's garage. He befriends a mischevious girl his age and they nurse it back to health. It has a ferocious appetite and even drinks mouthwash.
Uh does anyone know what book that might be?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
That sounds a bit like Skellig.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
That's almost certainly Skellig, yeah!

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Holy poo poo yeah that is Skellig, in retrospect a very strange book. Makes me crave chinese food.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Started reading Coelho's Manuscrito Encontrado em Accra on the bus today and holy(er-than-thou) poo poo, Batman! it's terrible. The dictionary entry for trite should just be this book. It's like Jordan Peterson for the most boring people.

But anyway,

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Started reading Coelho's Manuscrito Encontrado em Accra on the bus today and holy(er-than-thou) poo poo, Batman! it's terrible. The dictionary entry for trite should just be this book. It's like Jordan Peterson for the most boring people.

But anyway,

Gaaah I love that bookmark

I love fun bookmarks, they’re a nice part of the reading experience. Although some sellers are going overboard with the prices, but oh well. Share any fun or pretty bookmarks if you got them

Never read Coelho but he is adored by the mildest people so… enjoy ?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Share any fun or pretty bookmarks if you got them

I bought a stack of coloured card slivers for like 50 cents and use those, sorry. Other than those I don't think I've ever paid anything for a bookmark.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I bought a stack of coloured card slivers for like 50 cents and use those, sorry. Other than those I don't think I've ever paid anything for a bookmark.

My traditional bookmark is either none, just dog-ear'ing the page, or whatever piece of scrap paper I have on hand at the moment if it's something with old, brittle pages that I don't want to break.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

My traditional bookmark is either none, just dog-ear'ing the page, or whatever piece of scrap paper I have on hand at the moment if it's something with old, brittle pages that I don't want to break.

I used to dog-ear books but then a couple of times a dog ear folded itself out in my bag and I couldn't find my god drat place. It happens maybe twice a year at most but when it does I get ANGERY. AND WHEN I GET ANGERY I ACQUIRE BOOKMARKS!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I'm also angry about bookmarks :supaburn:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

3 x 5 index cards, the patrician choice.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Don't you just . ..remember where you were

Or leave it splayed open face down

Or angrily stab at your kindle because it electronically forgot your place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Or leave it splayed open face down

Or angrily stab at your kindle because it electronically forgot your place

1.) The splayed down thing doesn't work if you're traveling with your book.
2.) There's actually a bookmark button on the Kindle in the case you open it up and it did indeed forget :eng101: