Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Living somewhere with a strong rotary community, I will never understand why rotary MX5's aren't more common. They don't have to be 200kw death machines, they could be slower! Is there really such a divide between rotary guys and MX5 guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Living somewhere with a strong rotary community, I will never understand why rotary MX5's aren't more common. They don't have to be 200kw death machines, they could be slower! Is there really such a divide between rotary guys and MX5 guys?

“Living somewhere with a strong rotary community” made me laugh because I immediately imagined the pilgrims setting off to establish their own place, except for rotary fans.

Welcome to Rotasylvania

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Welcome to Rotasylvania

Home to the Pennsylvania Wankels

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
You could just say you live in Puerto Rico or New Zealand.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

You could just say you live in Puerto Rico or New Zealand.

it is true, Puerto Rican car culture owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-id7gNiQv44

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
lol skinnies on the back. I love it.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Looks like the Toyota S-FR has been greenlit, for launch 11 years after the original concept came out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2024/05/06/toyota-to-finally-complete-long-awaited-sports-car-trio/?sh=5a81cd3b6eb5

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Never to be seen in North America

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Hope they put the full 300hp 3cyl in it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

no lube so what posted:

Hope they put the full 300hp 3cyl in it

quote:

Best Car says that there is proof that Toyota is working on a new compact sports car, in conjunction with Daihatsu and Suzuki.

They're not gonna stick the 1.6T from the GR Corolla/Yaris in it (because they're cowards)

And yea, it's hard to see them moving down market from the GR86 in North America.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

slothrop posted:

Looks like the Toyota S-FR has been greenlit, for launch 11 years after the original concept came out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2024/05/06/toyota-to-finally-complete-long-awaited-sports-car-trio/?sh=5a81cd3b6eb5

Looks like they didn’t get everything from that issue of Best Car - it specifically calls out a new Celica (and GT-Four), MR2, and Starlet as in the works as well.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Why does the Supra not sell? I ran into a few in the wild the past week and they seem really fun and to check all the boxes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

davecrazy posted:

Why does the Supra not sell? I ran into a few in the wild the past week and they seem really fun and to check all the boxes.

Too expensive, didn't come with a manual until recently, sports cars in general don't sell, not exactly the same as an MKIV etc etc.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

davecrazy posted:

Pricey for what you get plus I'm not super eager to experience a Toyota with German Engineering under the hood.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:shrug: I feel like the B58 is well established as good and reliable at this point.

It does exist in a weird space though. $55K before any options for the Base model; that can get you a lot of more interesting stuff on the used market.

Also the front end is still an absolute disaster IMO.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
new supra own

The cabin kinda sucks to get in and out of. cramped.

But they fuckig rip

But yeah, a lot of money for a second car, and that kind of money has options

Kinda wish they offered the 2l with manual, but I suspect I am the only one

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

slothrop posted:

I hope it looks vastly different from that concept because that looks like poo poo

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

no lube so what posted:

After a Fiesta ST and Focus RS I am just so over turbo 4 cylinders.
At that under-$50K point I'd take the new sport-trim Z, can always just slap in your own LSD if you care that much.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

Pricey for what you get plus I'm not super eager to experience a Toyota with German Engineering under the hood.

The B58/B48/B38 series are proving to be Very Good, to the point where my dad was wondering if Toyota did the engine as well.

also, "Supra too pricey" ah so the same thing that got the fourth gen in the U.S. too eh

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

harperdc posted:

The B58/B48/B38 series are proving to be Very Good, to the point where my dad was wondering if Toyota did the engine as well.

also, "Supra too pricey" ah so the same thing that got the fourth gen in the U.S. too eh

Toyota beat the poo poo out of BMW to make that engine as reliable as possible. There’s a teardown video on YouTube that describes all the components of the engine and how it’s structured which basically sold me on the B58 as the second coming of the 2J.

For this same reason, were I ever to own a BMW I’d probably get the m340i because I trust the engine will not grenade on me like the N55.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Sab669 posted:

After a Fiesta ST and Focus RS I am just so over turbo 4 cylinders.

the sound? or delivery?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

davecrazy posted:

It’s not a giant SUV

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's really interesting how the BRZ/GT86 is more roomy inside and has better visibility than a Supra.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

davecrazy posted:

It’s a BMW not a Supra

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

no lube so what posted:

the sound? or delivery?

More so the sound, yea. If I'm spending that much on a highly compromised sports coupe it better sound decent.

But yea also just the way modern smaller turbo cars are tuned is... Fine, its just lost its interest to me after having 2 in a row. The FiST was a fun of fun, don't get me wrong, but I like the I6 in my E91 a lot more.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Toyota beat the poo poo out of BMW to make that engine as reliable as possible. There’s a teardown video on YouTube that describes all the components of the engine and how it’s structured which basically sold me on the B58 as the second coming of the 2J.

For this same reason, were I ever to own a BMW I’d probably get the m340i because I trust the engine will not grenade on me like the N55.

Supposedly, the S58 is similar except it has fully forged internals. People are making stupid power on practically stock S58s.

I'm talking 1000+ HP just from adding port injection and larger turbos. There are off the shelf "stage 1" tunes that add ~100 HP on 93.

Edit: Here's a teardown of Red Bull's 1000+ HP S58 running stock internals after two full drift seasons.

https://youtu.be/_D6aywCInfI?si=uQ_0eNzeWHeATM8D

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 10, 2024

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Supposedly, the S58 is similar except it has fully forged internals. People are making stupid power on practically stock S58s.

I'm talking 1000+ HP just from adding port injection and larger turbos. There are off the shelf "stage 1" tunes that add ~100 HP on 93.

Edit: Here's a teardown of Red Bull's 1000+ HP S58 running stock internals after two full drift seasons.

https://youtu.be/_D6aywCInfI?si=uQ_0eNzeWHeATM8D

They started focusing more on reliability with the S55 and that translated to the B series engines. Closed decks, very strong internals, etc... Pretty sure they've been posted here, but there were videos with the F8x engineers and they talked about that a decent amount. The S55 still has its problems but it'll handle 700+ hp on stock internals. I think there's a torque number around 600-650 lb ft where things will start to break, before that you're pretty good. Provided you've upgraded the crank hub.

no lube so what posted:

I doubt you're the only one, but you'd be one of 10. The B48 is a fantastic engine but obviously gets outshined by the B58 in something like the Supra.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I loving love the B58 and S58 engines so god drat much.
I know the Z4 gets poo poo on from time to time, but that engine option is a drat temptress and tries to seduce me away from an mx-5 year after year. And now you can order one with a stick finally. But I probably could have talked myself into the auto version had the manual not been announced last year.

Price be damned. (Almost double priced over the mx-5) Lovely vehicle. Lovely engine.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Papadakis did a bunch of cool videos on B58 teardown and build, and hagerty just did another build video with them: https://youtu.be/FeuGP6MB7XU

I kinda wonder why they use B and not S58 - either they can't get them, or they're gonna replace everything anyway?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's probably a 100% //////////////////m tax on the S58 crate engine.

The S also doesn't come in a Toyota, i guess. It's going in a GR Corolla so i'm guessing they only get a discount on toyota parts.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZczpFsv9ZY&t=716s

Time stamped to when the lapping begins. That's a spicy CUV, goddamn.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

PS1 racing game-rear end engine sounds

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They certainly could've designed cooler fake noises.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Albert Biermann going "brrrrrRRRRR popopopop" into a microphone.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Why not make cool electric vehicle noises instead?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Why not make cool electric vehicle noises instead?

I expected something like tie fighter sounds, people seem to love poo poo like that in electric motorcycles but you've also got chain noise adding to the sound there.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GD_American posted:

PS1 racing game-rear end engine sounds

It sounds really bad so I'm fairly sure people have mentioned this but some dweeb exec said no, it has to sound bad.

Also as impressive as that is it's kinda boring to watch. Dude in the Yellowbird is still king of the Nuburgring imo, just sawing non-stop as the car tries to kill him. King poo poo. It shows how good cars have gotten though, I saw a guy take a 90 degree bend in a new Golf by my house at a truly absurd speed, by rights he should've been in the trees and dead. Cars do a LOT for drivers now.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 13, 2024

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Borla is doing the same thing with the Mustang Mach E.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp2Q0uHWBFM

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haha, "download new sounds each month". That's gonna be a subscription thing isn't it. Pay monthly to stream some mp3 files through your car.

Reminds me of downloading ring tones for you flip phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Sab669 posted:

Haha, "download new sounds each month". That's gonna be a subscription thing isn't it. Pay monthly to stream some mp3 files through your car.

Reminds me of downloading ring tones for you flip phone.
I had one that was like a victory then defeat trumpet notes but with fart noises.

It was awesome