Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That Jag is overdesigned. It's the right ballpark but is too busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'd like it if it wasn't for that excessive front lip spoiler.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I hate that less than I hate a lot of other new things.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gucci Loafers posted:

If the Accord was just a little taller, I would have immediately bought it. I remember fitting in a CB7/9 was so much easier.

I wish it was a baller.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/05/am-radio-is-a-lifeline-lawmakers-say-tech-and-auto-industries-disagree

quote:

"Requiring the installation of analog AM radios in automobiles is an unnecessary action that would impact EV range, efficiency and affordability at a critical moment of accelerating adoption," said Albert Gore, executive director of ZETA, a clean vehicle advocacy group that opposes the AM radio requirement.

On the one hand: How much can AM radio add to a car's bill of materials? I really don't understand how this can possibly be a cost thing, even at F150 sales numbers. On the other hand, cars haven't historically required *any* kind of radio, although the Nissan Versa is the only car I'm aware of that you could buy in the US after 2010 with no radio.

Put me solidly in the "AM radio should not be required by law" camp.

Edit: I bet Ford is *absolutely* going to lose Mustang sales over the missing AM radio though, a bunch of Mustang buyers are the "listen to local high school football games on AM radio" crowd.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Edit nm

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Politicians going hard after that "farmer listening to talk radio in their clapped out F150 on the monthly trip to town" voter demographic.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

quote:

Requiring the installation of analog AM radios in automobiles is an unnecessary action that would impact EV range, efficiency and affordability at a critical moment of accelerating adoption

Seriously?

I wonder how much more range my Ioniq or Leaf would have sans AM radio.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Make analog aux in mandatory, bring your own AM radio.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
We argued about this am radio thing a few months back because someone (manufacturers) was talking about getting rid of it in their future models

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Twerk from Home posted:

How much can AM radio add to a car's bill of materials?

It adds cost at all so it HAS GOT TO GO

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The problem is that EVs generate a ton of electromagnetic interference that clobbers the AM radio signal. They could try to address it by including more shielding and moving the AM radio bits, but it’s a lot of effort for… AM radio.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

david_a posted:

The problem is that EVs generate a ton of electromagnetic interference that clobbers the AM radio signal. They could try to address it by including more shielding and moving the AM radio bits, but it’s a lot of effort for… AM radio.

Why hasn't this been a problem for hybrids, the Leaf, Volt, Bolt, all sorts of other EVs and PHEVs? Or it was a problem and they're just tired of paying for expensive shielding?

Leafs were cheap and not sold at a big loss like the Volt and Bolt if I remember right.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Twerk from Home posted:

Why hasn't this been a problem for hybrids, the Leaf, Volt, Bolt, all sorts of other EVs and PHEVs? Or it was a problem and they're just tired of paying for expensive shielding?

Leafs were cheap and not sold at a big loss like the Volt and Bolt if I remember right.

A lot of EV's have not had AM radio in them up until now. My 2016 Kia Soul EV did not have it, nor does my 2023 BMW iX.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The usefulness of AM radio is largely during infrastructure-endangering levels of natural/manmade disaster. The exact kind of thing that would take EVs off the board first, anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EVs die first and internal combustion cars die like 1-3 days later depending on when people try to go find supplies.

If AM is really that critical put a hand cranked radio in every home. Mandating it in cars is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

kill me now posted:

A lot of EV's have not had AM radio in them up until now. My 2016 Kia Soul EV did not have it, nor does my 2023 BMW iX.

My Leaf and Ioniq both have AM radios that appear to work fine.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You guys don’t keep hand crank radios at home? I’ve got one that has USB ports if you really need to use your phone.

AM radio was only really useful to me for listening to sports in wonderful mono sound. Very few syndicated sports broadcasts for stuff like hockey and baseball back home.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I still use AM for the Rays games here cuz the FM feed sucks balls

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I once had an all-in-one flashlight AM/FM radio that was powered by a hand crank so “it affects range” is absolute horseshit.

Looks like you can buy them for $20 so the added cost appears to be horseshit as well.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Edit I was thinking of the Kia k4 wagon, found it

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 2, 2024

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
FM radio here is filled with CAAAAASH FM PLAYONG MORE OF THE poo poo OVER AND OVER AGAIN with the blokey forced laugh banter and the token female they bully.

AM has the local not poo poo ABC channels it would be a real PITA to lose AM

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I don't think I've willingly used the radio in a car in my entire life.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
I like hitting up the local morning zoo for a week once a year.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KakerMix posted:

It adds cost at all so it HAS GOT TO GO

Feels like focusing on AM radio is the wrong thing if we're going after adds cost to cars.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
It's not just the cost thing though, it's *increasing* cost + who the gently caress still listens to AM anyway. Obviously enough people to make the pensioners in the US Congress and Senate chip in I guess.

It's not like I haven't spent plenty of time with my ear pressed to a transistor radio listening to cricket commentary either, but even that joined the modern world many years ago.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah it's a shame really

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’ll tape an am radio to my bicycle and ride off into the apocalypse

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the am radio on my e-golf works fine, and so did the one in the subaru solterra aka busyforks so i think its just makers making up bullshit to cut 20 cents

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Theres lots of places to go where AM radio is the only radio signals that will reach you. Well until they start putting shortwaves in to cars.
Satellite radio is good for that but yeah I guess most people are listening to the same 100 songs on their bluetooth phone on the radio instead of the same hundred songs on their local am/fm stations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I listen to FM radio mostly and we got some good government owned channels.

The AM band is completely dead here and I think that is kinda sad. I even believe there was private actors who would like to start their own small radio stations but they aren't allowed to because they don't want to fill up the AM radio band and want to keep it incase they can sell it off later. But I dunno what modern service could have a need of 500-1600 kHz... Just hand out licenses, dickholes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
It's kinda fun to hear about the death of legacy analog radios in moving vehicles when the digital alternatives like DAB are absolutely dire. If car makers are so hellbent on saving those ten cents in tinfoil and integrated components, they could just make it an optional module to purchase or rent so they can go to the lawmakers and show them if they are really never requested.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I feel like a good chunk (maybe half? Or 40%) of car stereos are at least branded by other audio companies. Sony, B&O, Bose, etc. Even AC Delco (now Aptiv, formerly Delphi Automotive) is a separate company than GM. You’d think they would be the ones to make the call. And because they also make boards for non-car radios, they’d rather just package AM/FM together since it’s just a ubiquitous format.

This of course assumes that Sony etc. are actually producing the guts of those radios, instead of Ford or Subaru or whoever.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Drove by a Cybertruck in my neighborhood yesterday. It was wrapped in bright orange. I couldn't take my eyes off it.

The name is dumb and my initial response to the design was :lol: but I appreciate that it bucks the curves and big blobs trend of design for the last 25 years or so.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
There are Mercedes EQE-AMGs that stickered for $125K asking low $70s on dealer websites with almost no miles. Truly impressive depreciation

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Drove by a Cybertruck in my neighborhood yesterday. It was wrapped in bright orange. I couldn't take my eyes off it.

The name is dumb and my initial response to the design was :lol: but I appreciate that it bucks the curves and big blobs trend of design for the last 25 years or so.

I'd be more willing to give it, "Well at least it's unique" credit if it didn't weigh a million pounds :(

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I appreciate that it bucks the curves and big blobs trend of design for the last 25 years or so.

agreed, but holy moly the execution gives dog poo poo a bad name

Hyundai 74 has an intentional beauty to that kind of langue

to bad its also a fat pig and prob won't be produced

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I feel like a good chunk (maybe half? Or 40%) of car stereos are at least branded by other audio companies. Sony, B&O, Bose, etc. Even AC Delco (now Aptiv, formerly Delphi Automotive) is a separate company than GM. You’d think they would be the ones to make the call. And because they also make boards for non-car radios, they’d rather just package AM/FM together since it’s just a ubiquitous format.

This of course assumes that Sony etc. are actually producing the guts of those radios, instead of Ford or Subaru or whoever.

Yeah the car companies pay to use the brand name and develop it in-house. The most an actual audio brand is involved that I'm aware of is B&O because they make a lot of the hardware; motorised tweeter stacks that disperse 180 and the Ice Power D class amps. They're also quite particular about the sound associated with their name, exception being the B&O speakers that were in the Audi R8 which are just OK but then there's no actual space in the car to put a proper system in.

Meridian in JLR cars for example is all in house developed with occasional visits from Meridian to say 'yeah we're happy enough with that' or 'gently caress no, try again'. On occasion if something the company makes fits, it'll go in but vast majority is just a badging exercise.

Some audio companies I'm sure would say no to AM because it sounds like rear end and for no other reason, it doesn't make their kit sound good :v:

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Just traded in my 2013 car for a 2023 model and it doesn't have AM, which is kinda annoying as the old-man radio station I used to listen to was only AM in my city. I agree that there's no real reason to exclude it other than saving a tiny bit of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
New cars all suck rant:

We have a 2011 Toyota Sienna and have been talking about getting a newer one for a couple years now. Local dealer happened to have one in the showroom so we went to just check it out and sit in it, see if there were any immediate red flags that might steer us towards another vehicle.

It’s basically the same interior as our 2011 except…
-Cupholders are all smaller across the board
-There used to be two gloveboxes, an upper and lower, and now there is just a lower one with some kind of useless shelf above it. Love to put things on a shelf in my car so they can slide off when I accelerate
-The space between the driver and passenger has been consumed by a behemoth console that offers very little utility and also necessitates fixed arm rests
-Third row used to have two cup holders and a storage bin on either side, both bins are gone with the cupholders just being spaced further apart to consume the space
-Plastic surfaces all felt cheaper but that’s every new car

Was it a terrible van? No, but spending $50k or whatever to get essentially the same vehicle just newer and with a bunch of dumb changes doesn’t feel remotely worth it.

Thread title remains true.

Now we’re leaning towards an Odyssey.