Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
listen, i understand wanting to put poo poo in the valley. it's just normally wasted space but anytime someone does it, it's a delayed gently caress you to anyone who ever has to work on that engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It is free real estate, so what would realistically not suck if you put it there?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

air cleaner

optionally, between the air cleaner on top and the v underneath, one or more carburetors, or perhaps a blower, or both

also, intake headers of course, that's implied by the above

e. technically, these things suck, lol

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 9, 2024

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Door Frame posted:

It is free real estate, so what would realistically not suck if you put it there?

Ranch dressing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lotus thought “ignition wires/coils” for the esprit

Lol

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Dodge did the same thing with the coil packs on the viper :lol:

The Door Frame posted:

The alternator at the front and the starter at the back :unsmigghh:

Jesus loving Christ Ford BMW Mercedes and Nissan engineers I'm joking don't do this

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, the Northstar placed the starter there.

Of course plenty of turbo motors (i.e. Ford Powerstroke) have turbo there for maximum thermal efficiency.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So did the Toyota UZ family of engines, but I give both them and GM a free pass on that because at least they didn't also put the alternator there. I don't think anyone has actually. I hope no one ever does.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Of course plenty of turbo motors (i.e. Ford Powerstroke) have turbo there for minimum flat-rate efficiency.

Fixed it for you.

When you look at the packaging of the Pentastar, where else would you stick the integrated oil cooler/filter assembly? The exhausts and its cats are right there in the way of the block, plus the engine mounts. The accessory drive equipment is strewn all around the front two cylinders.

Early Ford mods put the alternator down in the valley. It's mostly easy to get at though.

The real answer is you put a bunch of flimsy engine sensors in the valley. Like knock sensors and cam/crank pick ups. So it's a 10 hour job to implement a fix.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

kastein posted:

So did the Toyota UZ family of engines, but I give both them and GM a free pass on that because at least they didn't also put the alternator there. I don't think anyone has actually. I hope no one ever does.

If the concept of a valley could be extended to a plane, then my old air-cooled 911 had the alternator in the “valley” :D

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

`Nemesis posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CyberStuck/s/Evy3voCDtn

Brand new Cybertruck being driven home for the first time has the windshield break, apprently due to a defect, and Tesla wants $2300 to replace it

Regardless of anything else, it’s loving stupid PR for Tesla to squeeze their first five thousand customers like this.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Not even 4,000 you mean lmao

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Regardless of anything else, it’s loving stupid PR for Tesla to squeeze their first five thousand customers like this.

I get there is no thing as bad PR but yikes...

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I read the whole stupid thing. A different service center thought it looked like warranty work. Sounds like a lovely service manager who saw broken glass and opened his mouth before having the vehicle on front of him:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There are reports that one of elon's latest k-hole decrees is every cybertruck repair order has to be personally approved by him

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
concerning

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

it'll buff out, it's not structural.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Remember I Do Cars' famously destroyed V10 engine? Well this police car V6 did it's best to live up to that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyS6hsqR9qY

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

it'll buff out, it's not structural.

That's what Boeing keeps telling the FAA.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This engine’s parents were helicopters. It was just attempting to slake its thirst for human blood.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

kastein posted:

The alternator at the front and the starter at the back

Beat those motherfuckers with a baseball bat.
I tried to drive away but I couldn't get far cause the poorly placed starter wouldn't start my car.
Can't drive this cause the starter is dead.

I'm trying not to lose my head.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Remember I Do Cars' famously destroyed V10 engine? Well this police car V6 did it's best to live up to that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyS6hsqR9qY

it's a good one

an efficient way to turn engine parts into metal gravel

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
That must have been a helluva bird

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

kastein posted:

The alternator at the front and the starter at the back :unsmigghh:

Jesus loving Christ Ford BMW Mercedes and Nissan engineers I'm joking don't do this
We had a meeting and discovered that if we make the starter, alternator AND driveshaft a single component, we can eliminate 16 parts, 15 net minutes of assembly time AND save $6 PER UNIT, and it has the bonus of if any one of the components fail, the customer will need a new engine! This will allow us to capture recurring revenue of up to $20,000 per unit sold over the expected vehicle life of 5 years!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
‘If you’re ever in an argument with another car, you will win’

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

deoju posted:

Debate me: the car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

deoju posted:

Well, *that* wasn't another car, was it????!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Tolerances on the body panels appear to be greater than 2 microns at this time

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Engine failure by mayonnaise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWrX5wbZLZw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Harbor Freight has plastic framed "steel" toolboxes that are built better than this. Good lord. :cripes: