Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Fortunately, my technical failings haven’t been too bad. Worst actual fail was a new corebox I designed, and it didn’t work out. I had to plug some blow tubes with dowels and eventually made good cores, but was embarrassing. I guess as a $ miss I used someone else’s quote for a major project. This was dumb and bad don’t ever do this. Had to get requoted, project cost went from 500k to 700k usd ish if I recall. Corporate never wanted to approve more money, and last I heard the hardware is still sitting in crates because no one wants to throw good money after bad, so half a mil of poo poo sitting in crates…..

Unfortunately my worst failings have been political, which means actually serious. I was bumped up in to being a project manager for the plant launch that had been going extremely poorly. Where I hosed up was thinking I could actually fix things and make it work. Far beyond my control, not for technical reasons. The whole brownfield plant was an underfunded bad idea, with so many corners cut it was round. But I thought since I was smart, if I worked hard and cared about fixing it, that I could fix it. I couldn’t and didn’t. Even got myself fired for a safety violation (right before layoffs…. ) by documenting a piss poor job being done at that process step.

STAY FROSTY friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

wemgo posted:

During a large meeting with our entire division, i stood up and voiced my opinion about the just-announced healthcare benefit cuts and their necessity considering the $300M quarterly profit announced earlier that day.

This was at my previous job.

Good job. The right move.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Good job. The right move.

And if not in a Union probably led to their eventual separation from the company.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
It was a coal mine. Non-union. So I was happy to leave regardless and am so much happier at my current job.

Me standing up empowered a bunch of other people to speak out and it became a thing. The GM called me into a private meeting specifically to tell me that my career was over and he’d see to it that i’d never got promoted. He also demanded i apologize, it was humiliating.

He got fired about a year later for [supposedly] falsifying safety records.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Think these are okay responses for an annual self-evaluation, or is it too bluntly self-critical? This is for 2023, ended up being demoted a couple of months ago though it's hard to say whether it was a direct result of my answers here or if I was just telling people what they already knew. Never really discussed any of it directly with the manager.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Some of these are too negative imo, and I was taught that you should basically never end on a negative note because that's going to be what the reader takes with them. Your first response for example starts with a positive but ends on a negative. I would personally end it with something more positive, like what I'm/I've been doing to address this shortcoming.

I also don't feel like the take responsibility section is appropriate. Not really a good place to be complaining about your coworkers.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

General Dog posted:

Think these are okay responses for an annual self-evaluation, or is it too bluntly self-critical?

Does it make sense to add detail for how you are working to improve? You say you struggle to establish a culture of accountability - how can you improve there, or how can your management give you the resources you need to improve there (tell them the resources)?

I’ve been taught to think in terms of sustains (things I’m doing well that should continue) and improves (things I can be better at, and specifically how I can improve). It’s ok to acknowledge the negatives but especially when talking higher it’s important to say how you’re fixing them. Otherwise, it might appear that you’re saying explicitly that you can’t handle the responsibility you have now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I also don't feel like the take responsibility section is appropriate. Not really a good place to be complaining about your coworkers.

I didn’t really mean it that way, I meant it more “I know that you know that these guys are fuckups and wanted me to cut them loose months ago.”

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

General Dog posted:

Think these are okay responses for an annual self-evaluation, or is it too bluntly self-critical? This is for 2023, ended up being demoted a couple of months ago though it's hard to say whether it was a direct result of my answers here or if I was just telling people what they already knew. Never really discussed any of it directly with the manager.

- Those are too self critical. A person who could be described in total that way should be terminated. That said, I doubt this actually reflects what value you created for the company that year.
- You got demoted? I'm surprised you're still with the company. What's up with that?
- Is English your first language? If so, there are misused words in obvious places (affectives, rolls) and considering that you spend the whole time talking about your ineffectiveness,
- It reads as unsure/wishywashy because of softening language used. "Perhaps hasn't worked so well anyway" could be "didn't". Use of "I think/believe/just in several places".

IMO if one is going to give themselves a critical review, it needs to be sober and factual. It should have a clearly stated remediation plan/thesis. It should also clearly outline the value having you around creates.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I pretty much never write any unqualified criticism of myself in performance reviews. Start those sentences with “I would be even better if…” and talk about improving. IMO It’s other people’s job to come up with unabashed criticisms or identify genuine shortcomings in my work.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

General Dog posted:

I would remove the question/values text as well from those screenshots, they may be unique to the company.

Imo you are too negative, firstly because like others said you should try to always put a positive spin on these responses (not a manager myself but I imagine this goes especially for managers, depending on the culture). Secondly, if you didn't discuss that stuff with you manager, but could see it for yourself in this review, then you maybe should have before putting it there. It shouldn't be a surprise to them that the year was a struggle and asking for guidance is generally a good thing.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Self-evaluations are complete bullshit.

Don't trust that your company is ever going to take it at anything but its worst.

Self-evaluations are just another exercise in you promoting yourself while pointing out some "flaw" that is actually 1) not a big deal and 2) somehow going to improve yourself.

Things like the STAR method are a good way to answer questions like that. Give some background on the Situation, talk about what Task you were supposed to perform, talk about what Action you took, and then the Result, which is of course positive.

Remember that ultimately, your manager and HR's priorities are 1) themselves, 2) the company, 3) maybe you. Maybe themselves again.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

It’s like the bullshit in interviews “what’s your biggest weakness”.

“I regularly drop early 2000’s gamer slurs in the office”.

“Well, actually, I hold other people to the high standard I set for myself”. :words:

But actually, I did say once that I needed to trust the leadership of the organisation to have a good vision and strategy, and I can’t work well if I feel like there’s no drive and priorities keep shifting.

Funnily enough I never got a call back from them, so it turns out they don’t really want honesty.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

General Dog posted:

I didn’t really mean it that way, I meant it more “I know that you know that these guys are fuckups and wanted me to cut them loose months ago.”

Well, what you wrote was that your reports make "careless errors" and that their errors "create friction" and that you "need to let them go."

Maybe that's not what you think you wrote, but this is what you wrote. And I'm not sure how your response to me about what you actually meant to say is any better.

This is an evaluation about you. It's not an outlet for you to put on paper that you have useless fucks for reports and that you need to do some firing.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
“I managed a difficult situation with some useless fucks working for me. I would be even better if I fired or reassigned some of the useless fucks sooner in the future.”

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

totalnewbie posted:

Self-evaluations are complete bullshit.

Don't trust that your company is ever going to take it at anything but its worst.

Self-evaluations are just another exercise in you promoting yourself while pointing out some "flaw" that is actually 1) not a big deal and 2) somehow going to improve yourself.

Things like the STAR method are a good way to answer questions like that. Give some background on the Situation, talk about what Task you were supposed to perform, talk about what Action you took, and then the Result, which is of course positive.

Remember that ultimately, your manager and HR's priorities are 1) themselves, 2) the company, 3) maybe you. Maybe themselves again.

Disclaimer: Not legal advice, IANAL, I have used this before successfully and spent a LOT of time with employment defense attorneys, but YMMV, this is US specific, there's nuance to this and it can backfire if done improperly. You 100% should consult an attorney if heading down this path.

If one suspects theyre going to get fired/demoted, self reviews can be a good way to create a paper trail that buys you time or sets you up for a better negotiating position for severance. I provide an example of setting that up below. I used OP's "Adapts to change and goals/deliverables". Since he didn't mention what his goals or deliverables were specifically, I'm going to use pretend he's a defense contractor manager of an engineering team since that's what I worked with last time I had to write self assessments (I was an IC then, but have managed engineers since). I'm assuming 2023 self reviews are written in ~Feb 2024.

"In 2023 my team successfully completed all tasks on the critical path for Advanced Next Gen Doohickey Block II (ANGDB2) PDR with a CPI of 1.15 and and SPI of 1.25. I have formulated a return to green plan to bring CPI and SPI to 1.0 in 2024, which I am acting on presently. Additionally, I directly worked with the customer to shape [team area] requirements for the anticipated BIDOMCOM upgrade, proposing innovative alternatives that allow us more flexibility to innovate. These were accepted by the customer and are expected to save 1.2 pounds from the aircraft and schedule risk in the design phase. In August of 2023, I realized I was having trouble focusing on some of my work with the customer, and was provided similar feedback by my manager. This difficulty concentrating caused me to miss opportunities to steer the customer toward our products. I consulted my doctor and was diagnosed with ADHD, for which I have now begun treatment. Subsequently, I feel more engaged with my team and have reengaged the customer regarding ____. I believe 2024 will see a marked improvement in the performance of my team and my collaboration with the customer."

Then you spend 2024 looking for a new job if you can't actually deliver on that stuff. If they demote you after you write that you now have an articulatable ADA claim. 1) Big def co is covered by the ADA [US company, 15 employees, etc.]. 2) CFP has ADHD that limits his concentration and work, a major life activity. 3) CFP's manager recognized this impairment. They were informed of this impairment on [Date of review or earlier discussion] 4) CFP was demoted for having this impairment [Thing your manager said about your concentration or something similar]. 5) CFP is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job [things to establish this].

While being aware of the elements is nice if you ever decide to use this, 100% you need to speak to an attorney. In the US plaintiff employment consultations are nearly always free. Check SuperLawyers and Avvo. You can PM me as well and I can recommend some near you.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well, what you wrote was that your reports make "careless errors" and that their errors "create friction" and that you "need to let them go."

Maybe that's not what you think you wrote, but this is what you wrote. And I'm not sure how your response to me about what you actually meant to say is any better.

This is an evaluation about you. It's not an outlet for you to put on paper that you have useless fucks for reports and that you need to do some firing.

I guess I can see how it comes across that way; my intent was to throw myself under the bus for not managing them well, not to gripe about their performance as an excuse for the team’s overall dysfunction.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

General Dog posted:

I guess I can see how it comes across that way; my intent was to throw myself under the bus for not managing them well, not to gripe about their performance as an excuse for the team’s overall dysfunction.

Usually you want to defend yourself when someone else tries to throw you under a bus. Doing it voluntarily is fine if you have the same last name as the company founder, otherwise I'd probably avoid it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Heliosicle posted:

I would remove the question/values text as well from those screenshots, they may be unique to the company.

Fwiw these read like the same McKinsey set up corporate values/quarterly connection questions I see at every large corporation, including mine.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

General Dog posted:

As a manager/leader, your job is to not throw anybody under the bus, including yourself. It is exactly the opposite, to make sure there is no bus and that if there is, you can stop the bus while pulling the person out of its path.

To me, it doesn't sound like you're doing much leading. I see a lot of problems that you were able to identify but don't see any evidence you tried to rectify any of them or any future plans other than "let them go" which is honestly the LAST option. Finding new employees is very time and resource intensive, not to mention that you'll be putting more stress on yourself and your current team members while you're down on headcount as well as the time it will take for the new employee to be trained and up and running at 100%, which could potentially take a long time (50-80% maybe fairly quick but that last 20%, which is likely the most difficult and/or critical items, may take much longer). The fact that you threw it so casually is particularly concerning.

You also made an affective/effective mistake. Please proofread.

Again, remember that (despite the fact that they should) your manager and HR do not prioritize you and have their own self-interests chiefly in mind. Of course, your success is also their success but if one party has to fail, it cannot be you. Throwing them under the bus might make you a lovely manager but you'll stay manager. Throwing yourself under the bus might make you a "good" manager but those "good" managers don't exist because, well, you saw what happened.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

General Dog posted:

You sound like me. I dislike being a manager. Have you thought that might be what’s going on here? This reads like self sabotage that I’ve been tempted to do.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yes I'm much happier out of the position, and the 10% pay cut is largely well worth the quality of life improvement. If anything I just feel guilty someone else has to deal with that role now.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 7, 2024

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

General Dog posted:

Yes I'm much happier out of the position, and the 10% pay cut is largely well worth the quality of life improvement.

Wait, so this self evaluation was written before you took a demotion?

Also a 10% premium to manage seems criminally low.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

Wait, so this self evaluation was written before you took a demotion?

Also a 10% premium to manage seems criminally low.

Yes I wrote the self-review near the beginning of this year and was asked to step out of my management role 6-7 weeks ago. Been at the company 13 years, been in that position for 5 years. So it's not like I stepped into it and immediately face-planted; I think the role just wore me down as the scope got progressively bigger.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

General Dog posted:

Yes I wrote the self-review near the beginning of this year and was asked to step out of my management role 6-7 weeks ago. Been at the company 13 years, been in that position for 5 years. So it's not like I stepped into it and immediately face-planted; I think the role just wore me down as the scope got progressively bigger.

Is this the kind of place that you can have the career you want despite a demotion?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

Is this the kind of place that you can have the career you want despite a demotion?

I was just going to ask the same thing. Inquiring minds and all that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Did something change in the last 6ish months that would cause them to demote you? Like not necessarily things under your control, maybe mass layoffs reducing the number of managers they need or something? They seem to have been fine with you managing for 5 years prior. I dunno, maybe I'm paranoid but I'd start looking for new jobs if I were you.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did something change in the last 6ish months that would cause them to demote you? Like not necessarily things under your control, maybe mass layoffs reducing the number of managers they need or something? They seem to have been fine with you managing for 5 years prior. I dunno, maybe I'm paranoid but I'd start looking for new jobs if I were you.

In his defense: In big defense cos I saw not great front line managers go back to technical at their previous level (usually T4s) and finish their career at a T5 which was the typical retirement position. That said. frontline manager and T4 direct following T3, so it wasnt actually a demotion, just a lateral.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 7, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

As long as they keep paying me, sure. It's not a high priority for me that I work somewhere where I'm respected or where I can respect myself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

As long as they keep paying me, sure. It's not a high priority for me that I work somewhere where I'm respected or where I can respect myself.

Getting demoted is effectively a kinder way to fire somebody as most people will simply choose to leave instead. If you just want to collect a pay check and don't care about career progression then I'm not sure what advice you're asking for in this thread. You essentially threw yourself under the bus and don't seem to really care that you did so.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

General Dog posted:

I say this with no judgment whatsoever, in fact I’m mostly projecting here.

I worked with people who have expressed similar views and they were the happier people in the office. They showed up at 9 clocked out at 5 and did the requested work in between. They had a valuable niche so they weren’t getting fired.

I’ve also worked with some people who were burnt out and unhappy. (Most quality engineers for example.) They would say similar things mostly to try to cope but really they did want the attaboys and for coworkers to treat them as valuable. I’ve met a disproportionate number of obese QA engineers in aerospace.

Luckily the culture of my first defense co team was one where people did generally respect each other on character/intellect rather than “works hard”, titles, or accolades from corporate. (Except QA engineers.)

I hope you’re the former working at a place like the latter. If so, nice! If not, I know I am now regretting not taking as good of care of myself over the past 10 years and I’d include my mental health in the lack of self care.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 8, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm in a technical analysis role (numerical simulations) and it's where I want to be. I don't want to deal with managing people, business, or projects. Is there a viable career path where I can still be an engineer that does analysis for my day to day job but also have responsibilities to delegate resources and just oversee that the technical side of the project is being done?

I know it's gross to think of people as "resources" and not people but in my head there's a clear distinction: I don't want to manage people as in managing their day to day, making sure they do their timesheets, approving their PTO, getting them raises, etc etc etc, all stuff I'm just not interested in at all. But someone comes to me and says we need to do an analysis on x, and I can figure out if we have the resources and capacity to do such a thing and then delegating the responsibilities. My manager kind of does this, but he also has to deal with budgets and Gantt charts and everything else that I'm frankly not interested in doing.

E: I got my promotion and title bump so I'm going to start looking for other jobs which is why I'm asking.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm in a technical analysis role (numerical simulations) and it's where I want to be. I don't want to deal with managing people, business, or projects. Is there a viable career path where I can still be an engineer that does analysis for my day to day job but also have responsibilities to delegate resources and just oversee that the technical side of the project is being done?

I know it's gross to think of people as "resources" and not people but in my head there's a clear distinction: I don't want to manage people as in managing their day to day, making sure they do their timesheets, approving their PTO, getting them raises, etc etc etc, all stuff I'm just not interested in at all. But someone comes to me and says we need to do an analysis on x, and I can figure out if we have the resources and capacity to do such a thing and then delegating the responsibilities. My manager kind of does this, but he also has to deal with budgets and Gantt charts and everything else that I'm frankly not interested in doing.

E: I got my promotion and title bump so I'm going to start looking for other jobs which is why I'm asking.

If you are at a company that does specializes in simulation then there might be one or two project manager layers between how you describe your old job and your new job.
It is also a matter of individual company culture, with some companies allowing you to have a career without ending up only handling people and other companies making that impossible.