Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

two fish posted:

Looking for hard sci-fi where a prominent theme is making first contact with a non-humanoid species. Especially if a complex language needs to be deciphered, or if the aliens think strangely.

I enjoyed how it was handled in Pushing Ice, and I'd really like to read more. Any suggestions?

Dragon’s Egg is about life that evolved on the surface of a neutron star, it’s great

Edit: just remembered the name. A Fire Upon the Deep features a very unique alien race with multiple heads and such.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

two fish posted:

Looking for hard sci-fi where a prominent theme is making first contact with a non-humanoid species. Especially if a complex language needs to be deciphered, or if the aliens think strangely.

I enjoyed how it was handled in Pushing Ice, and I'd really like to read more. Any suggestions?

Three Body Problem

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

two fish posted:

Fiasco by Stanislaw Lem is exactly this. I'm not gonna say it was my favorite read ever, but it is very much what you're asking for, and it's like 2 bucks on kindle right now.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I just went through a spree of hype scifi novels from the past few years. Didn't really care for Dark Matter, Blindsight was cool but not enough for me to want to read the sequel. Few more big names until I decided to finally crack Hyperion and this is what I was looking for the whole time. Halfway through The Fall of Hyperion. What do you recommend for my next space opera? And I was under the impression the Cantos was only 2 books, but I'm seeing it was expanded to 4? Are they all worth? Love every page I've read so far.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

96 spacejam posted:

I just went through a spree of hype scifi novels from the past few years. Didn't really care for Dark Matter, Blindsight was cool but not enough for me to want to read the sequel. Few more big names until I decided to finally crack Hyperion and this is what I was looking for the whole time. Halfway through The Fall of Hyperion. What do you recommend for my next space opera? And I was under the impression the Cantos was only 2 books, but I'm seeing it was expanded to 4? Are they all worth? Love every page I've read so far.

hype sci-fi and you're reading Dark Matter?

From the last few years and you're reading Hyperion (1989)?

Anyway, the consensus is that Hyperion falls off hard from the second book onwards, but if you're enjoying it, continue until you don't want to read more. Dan Simmons has some political problems (doesn't like muslims) in his later books but plenty of people like The Terror and the mini-series based off it is widely said to be superior.

Anyway, given the broad timeline you've established here's some Space Opera to read:

Neverness by David Zindell

House of Suns by Alistair Reynolds

The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi

Diaspora by Greg Egan

Ninefox Gambit by Yun Ha Lee

The Greatship by Robert Reed