Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

EvilBeard posted:

I went out and wired my dad's new Vintage Air up, because in his increasing age, he's getting a little foggy on reading schematics and such. Got the Fan and Trinary switch wired up, just have to finish mounting the circuit breaker and hiding the wiring under the dash. Just glad another item is off the checklist.

How do you like the Vintage Air? I'm going to need to choose something to put in Dad's '55.
Looks like they've got two full kits for the '55 - center vent only, or a 4-vent. Their site is a bit lacking in installed photos, unfortunately.

edit: ugh, page snipe. Added quote for context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Installed a relay for the windshield washer pump, instead of having all the power go via the actual switch in the lever. Livened up the pump, but the right nozzle I bought seems to be.. poo poo. Typical modern part quality...

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

How do you like the Vintage Air? I'm going to need to choose something to put in Dad's '55.
Looks like they've got two full kits for the '55 - center vent only, or a 4-vent. Their site is a bit lacking in installed photos, unfortunately.

edit: ugh, page snipe. Added quote for context.

It's fairly nice. Dad's 56 we went for the 4 vent. It's nice, it slides right in, and you hook up battery, ground, a trinary switch, +12V ignition, and the fan. It's really not that bad. They provide a harness that has the relay for the compressor clutch and all the wires needed. It's really pretty easy to install.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I had a look at the VintageAir site yesterday thanks to the discussion and they've got a kit for Novas that I'll probably end up grabbing at some point. My only concern is that for non-factory-AC cars like mine, the vents are in their own plenum that gets attached under the dash and that's gonna interfere with the console I built.

Is your dad's kit the same way? I'm curious if that plenum is plastic or metal.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I had a look at the VintageAir site yesterday thanks to the discussion and they've got a kit for Novas that I'll probably end up grabbing at some point. My only concern is that for non-factory-AC cars like mine, the vents are in their own plenum that gets attached under the dash and that's gonna interfere with the console I built.

Is your dad's kit the same way? I'm curious if that plenum is plastic or metal.

On the 4 vent kits, there's no center plenum, you have a plenum on the end of the evaporator unit under the dash. So you just mount the 4 vents under the dash where you'd like, and then run the hoses to the unit.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ahh. The Nova kit has this big mamma jamma:

And the left vents under the ash tray are gonna cause me problems. If that center piece is plastic, my plan is to chop a big hunk out of the middle and shorten it.

Edit: Just spent the last hour researching this stuff. Can't decide if this project will be before or after new gauges. :homebrew:

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 17, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I added an extra washer pump in series with the original one (near the headlight)

Much more powerful now, and I got the right hand nozzle working, turns out it was adjustable, the two nozzles are balls and you can use a needle to rotate them about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZM4wD1FjOo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Oh yeah, love adjusting my balls with a needle.