Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Philosophically? Have enough plants living to enjoy being outside with them.

I'm trying to get my new raised bed going, but I think it's going to take another season to get the soil dialed in. Not quite as easy as 5 gallon buckets to amend! Pest control is also harder; the earwigs went nuts this wet spring and I'm hoping Sluggo Plus helps before my latest round of sprouts gets eaten.

Harvest goals:

I would like to harvest enough cucumber and dill for a small batch of pickles, enough cucumber to make into slurry for popsicles, enough mint & basil to make a a pint each of simple syrup, and enough basil for pesto twice a month. The others (beets, carrots, chard) I hope to get enough for a nice roast and a few salads. Really hoping my chard does well so that I can make chips with it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
:science: goals: Im crossing two peppers in a grow tent inside to try and get f1 plants for next year. I'm also recording a janky time lapse video of all my peppers growing since I started them back in mid January.

Harvest goals: I'm growing 8 superhots on my balcony along with the two inside to hopefully make enough fermented sauce to sate my addiction until next year... 3 didn't cut it last time because I gave a lot of it away.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
This year is our first year in our first real house, so everything is advancing bit by bit as we feel out the microclimate, get adjusted to all the new space that isn't subject to a HOA covenant, etc.

Kitchen garden has been developed first, with the thyme and chives brought from the last house going gangbusters in their first spring. Added basil and parsley to the pot, looking forward to a big planter full of tastes. Woody herbs have gone into pots around the porch to suss out how they like the different sun exposures, and when they are having a good time, into the ground they go. Another couple good hot days and we'll turn the first batch of compost out.

Fig tree has been purchased and positioned, again figuring out if it'll get the right amount of sun once the birch it's kinda under leafs out. Tomatoes are in place in a traveling pot, with a cherry plant the first homesteader in the raised tubs out back we inherited, last owner grew tomatoes and peppers in abundance. Had chili pepper themed wallpaper in the kitchen. I promised him a bottle of our first good batch as thanks for taking our (only gently) above asking offer and cancelling all other showings rather than going to a bidding war. He just wanted people who would grow up and grow older and grow some goddamn peppers, I guess. Start a family if we're lucky, grow a community otherwise.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I just want to have pretty trees thst sometimes make something I can eat, and which take uo enough lawn space that nobody cares so much about if its mowed.

This week i have a ton of great mulberries and the plum tree is covered in green plums so so far so good.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I'm in the process of expanding my main in-ground garden plot and building a better fence anti-groundhog fortress around it. I couldn't get motivated earlier in the year, so unfortunately the area isn't ready yet and no cool season crops got planted this Spring. I wasn't 100% sure what the dimensions (and therefore necessary number of plants) would be during seed starting time, so I won't quite be able to fill the area this year. Not unless I want to just grow way more than I need of some random direct sown stuff. So several hundred square feet will probably just get cover cropped to keep the weeds at bay and help build the soil.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i put in a 6x3 raised bed earlier this year, so my goals are:
- get a useful square foot garden going
- figure out what i can grow that doesn't get immediately devoured by all the squirrels and chipmunks and birds here
- do a fall planting for the first time

i've been growing on my front and back porches for a few years now and have had relative success with fabric pots and such. we're in a slight valley with lots of old trees, so it tends toward humid and shady. spots that get direct sun are limited and they move around. zone 7b in northern virginia.

the raised bed - mustard, some peppers, oregano, parsley, chard, chives, bunching onions, strawberries, sage, thyme, basil, dill

front porch garden. peppers in fabric pots. poblano, sugar rush peach, datil, gochu, jimmy nardello, banana. plus some other stuff in temporary spots until the peppers mature a bit

the back is two earthtainers with cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. i'm going to train them up twine and onto party lights that run across the porch.

not shown: about a dozen 80+ft white oaks and tulip poplars

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 3, 2024

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

My only goal for the last few years has been to dominate the local fair. My flowers and produce must crush as many dreams as possible.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bi-la kaifa posted:

My only goal for the last few years has been to dominate the local fair. My flowers and produce must crush as many dreams as possible.

That is next years goal for me.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

gently caress off squirrels.

These strawberries are mine.

Lmao hell yes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lawman 0 posted:

Lmao hell yes.

Made covers for all three strawberry beds.

The work started paying off the very next morning.

I saw a squirrel hop up, try to nibble its way inside, and the twitch its tail in such delightful rage when it found out the mesh is coated steel and not just plastic bird netting.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

gently caress off squirrels.

These strawberries are mine.

Hell, now there's an idea

Shifty Pony posted:

I saw a squirrel hop up, try to nibble its way inside, and the twitch its tail in such delightful rage when it found out the mesh is coated steel and not just plastic bird netting.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Question! My mom has a black ice plum tree, zone 3, that hasn't started blooming yet. The branches are fairly limber, the buds aren't green but they aren't brittle either. My scratch test shows brown about where the branches start, some green on the bottom. Anything I can do to help her here?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Picked up three trays of plants from a local SWCD tree sale. I ended up with lots of wild ryes and asters, plus some brown-eyed susans, mountain mints, columbine, coneflowers, and more. It took me a couple of hours to get all of 108 them in the ground but by far the more annoying and time-consuming task was fencing off all of the new plants with chicken wire so that my three dogs don't trample my new plants.

In the new few weeks I'll be getting 80+ more plant plugs, mostly grasses, and hopefully finishing off a large chunk of my front yard prairie.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wooo proper tomato cages (made out of concrete reinforcing mesh).

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Shifty Pony posted:

The work started paying off the very next morning.

These look fantastic. I did a half-assed version of this with plastic bird netting draped over a wood frame. Really more to keep the birds away because a determined squirrel could still get in.

My true enemy this year are the slugs. Absolutely dominating my bean sprouts. Getting some diatomaceous earth. Has anyone had success with beer traps?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

These look fantastic. I did a half-assed version of this with plastic bird netting draped over a wood frame. Really more to keep the birds away because a determined squirrel could still get in.

My true enemy this year are the slugs. Absolutely dominating my bean sprouts. Getting some diatomaceous earth. Has anyone had success with beer traps?

Sluggo has worked the best for me and just keeps them out of my food gardens. They're still all over the place where I don't put it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

Sluggo and/or sluggo plus is the only thing that works consistently for us. We’ve had really bad pillbugs this year, too, which is what the “plus” is for.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sluggo is lit

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Lawnie posted:

Sluggo and/or sluggo plus is the only thing that works consistently for us. We’ve had really bad pillbugs this year, too, which is what the “plus” is for.

Going to pick up some sluggo plus tomorrow. Pill bugs are dominating my garden this year. Thanks for this.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Does copper tape actually repel slugs and snails? I was going to get some to wrap my new raised bed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've had very good results from copper tape for snails. The pots without it did worse. Beer tape for slugs are solely for the sadistic laughs.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Hell yea! I feel your joy vicariously.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Wooo proper tomato cages (made out of concrete reinforcing mesh).

That's the way my dad did his tomatoes. They'd be tall enough they'd spill over the top and almost touch the ground again. Tomatoes are like sponges. They love their water.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This year the last frost is predicted for June 6.

I just did my first tomato pruning.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The heat is making everything run too fast and we have way too many freakin' bugs this year. I've seen more ticks just this year than I have in the last twenty years.

Thanks Al Gore.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
We've been getting a ton of rain the last few weeks so my strawberries are rotting and getting fungus-y. Asparagus just never came up so that whole bed is basically a loss. Bummer.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

mischief posted:

The heat is making everything run too fast and we have way too many freakin' bugs this year. I've seen more ticks just this year than I have in the last twenty years.

Thanks Al Gore.

The cicadas are so drat loud that it's basically unsafe to go out without earplugs. My ears were ringing yesterday as if I was around power tools after being outside for like 10 minutes

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Chad Sexington posted:

We've been getting a ton of rain the last few weeks so my strawberries are rotting and getting fungus-y.

Same and also i suspect my green onions are dying

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I was over at the in-laws and he has about 400 square feet of gai lan and greens just living it up in this heat. He always complains about the shade on that end of his land but my goodness... Anything I've got that can bolt has, even with all the rain.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

the milk machine posted:

i put in a 6x3 raised bed earlier this year, so my goals are:
- get a useful square foot garden going
- figure out what i can grow that doesn't get immediately devoured by all the squirrels and chipmunks and birds here
- do a fall planting for the first time

i've been growing on my front and back porches for a few years now and have had relative success with fabric pots and such. we're in a slight valley with lots of old trees, so it tends toward humid and shady. spots that get direct sun are limited and they move around. zone 7b in northern virginia.

the raised bed - mustard, some peppers, oregano, parsley, chard, chives, bunching onions, strawberries, sage, thyme, basil, dill

front porch garden. peppers in fabric pots. poblano, sugar rush peach, datil, gochu, jimmy nardello, banana. plus some other stuff in temporary spots until the peppers mature a bit

the back is two earthtainers with cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. i'm going to train them up twine and onto party lights that run across the porch.

not shown: about a dozen 80+ft white oaks and tulip poplars

How are those galvanized raised beds? I've seen some people using them around here, and figure they're probably a fairly cheap way to do it, but I worry about them overheating in summer.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Lead out in cuffs posted:

How are those galvanized raised beds? I've seen some people using them around here, and figure they're probably a fairly cheap way to do it, but I worry about them overheating in summer.

mine is ok so far; it's not the fanciest but it was only sixty bucks which is about how much building one with lumber would have cost me. the bottom half has some old rotted branches and sticks plus a bunch of leaves and old potting soil. it'll compact some over time but that's fine

I'm in northern Virginia in 7b and it does get hot in the summer, which is why I went with the uncoated finish. I'd avoid dark colors if it's in a really sunny spot. I think/hope this will be ok temperature-wise

this is my first season with it so I'll have plenty to learn. We've had lots of rain the past week and more called for next week so I think my green onions are turning into mush, everything else seems alright so far

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Interesting! I'd been wondering about galvanized beds as an option. Do you suppose painting it white could help with heat?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my basic physics knowledge suggests that reflective or white would be the best, but im not sure how big an effect that would have on a few thousand pounds of moist soil. I'm gonna find out this summer I guess!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

making it white or reflective does make a difference

Putting something in front of it to shade it makes a much greater difference.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
None of the sown outside have come up and like an idiot I transplanted most of our plants literally the day before our final frost and most died. So right now the only edibles we have growing are the potatoes, beans, and peas.

Gonna plant the pumpkins soon, and if they also dont come up (and the other stuff doesnt come up by then) guess I'm just gonna buy some stuff to transplant I guess?

At least the blueberries seem to be doing quite well now that its warmed up a bit.

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!
threw a slice of moldy tomato onto the ground to see what would happen.. it's growing like a weed now lol. I love accidental growing.

and a potato I threw in a potato bag last year has sprouted. I'll need more dirt now. Tomatoes and Potatoes and tornados and empanados (???) are all part of the same family right? Maybe they signalled each other to grow or something.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I like mine but I have a male dog who likes to mark his territory so the bottom edges of my beds are starting to corrode.

My raised beds in my backyard don't get full sun so I decided to start a cut flower garden in them instead. So far I have poppies, salvia, and avens. It's my one area where I am planting non-native flowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

my irrigation system's basic connection is together.

I've designed a gravity feed system to water the covered areas when it rains. Those parts should be showing up soon.

All of my major transplants are in the ground in the GH, though I got some of my eggplant seedlings mixed up so we'll see what happens there. All that remains is to plant peppers, which I typically buy, greens, and some shorter-season intercrops to go among my squash.

I'm borrowing a tiller on Monday to turn over my outside garden and then it's potato time. This year I'm going shallow in the earth and hilling them with the hoe and straw.

Today's interesting tidbit: not sure if anyone remembers, or if I even posted about it - fake edit I did post about it.

CommonShore posted:

Just got pummelled by up to walnut sized hail in a volume that I could need a shovel to clear. Outdoor crops took a beating but the hoop house is pristine. Most of the damaged crops are potatoes and garlic and stuff and should recover

No pictures I guess. Imagine a garden buried so deep in popcorn that you would have to clear it with a shovel but it's ice.

Anyway, the damaged crops did not recover. Even the potatoes were kinda hosed. But this spring I was toodling around and it turned out that the garlic I had planted and which I thought died just simply went straight to dormancy when it got smoked last June. Today I dug it all up and planted a bunch of the sprouting cloves. It's looking good!