Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Nam Taf posted:

It probably won't work in the mainland. It would when I was there in 2018/2019, but times have changed and Wireguard doesn't do any obfuscation so from what I've read DPI picks it up fairly quickly.

I'd recommend a reverse proxy. There's VPNs that offer specific solutions for the GFW, e.g. Mullivad. If you want to just throw money at the problem, this is probably the easiest solution.

Alternatively, if you're serious about going down the roll-your-own avenue, the current hotness looks to be the v2ray and Xray platforms, with modern protocols (e.g. vmess for v2ray-core) and obfs options (e.g. reality for xray). Apparently Shadowsocks with an appropriate obfs plugin (e.g. v2ray) still works too and it's what most retail VPNs use for the GFW, but it's less performant and has other limitations that newer-gen solutions resolve.

You can then throw your VPN through the reverse proxy. It'll be slower, but it'll get you in to janitor stuff.

1.1.1.1 + WARP may or may not work. I've seen conflicting reports.

e: I just realised how off-topic this is getting for the NAS/storage thread. If you want to discuss the roll-your-own options, we should probably go to the self-hosting thread.

You just gave me another week worth of fun tinkering, thanks. I'll join that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Harik posted:

That's exactly what it was, thanks Kivi. Dug out the threadripper swag lunchbox (how cool were those?) and used the torque wrench from there. I did, of course, open it up and lift the chip to inspect the pins underneath from a couple angles, but nobody looked damaged. It was probably my fault while installing the heatsink, the screws were too short to catch properly without really forcing them down to compress the springs, and it ended up springing up like a jack-in-the-box when I was tightening the opposite side. They had tested it with all 8 channels before shipping so it was either shipping or installation that moved it.
It might've been a spec of dust in the contacts too.

I recently sold my SP3 board and the guy had issues getting it up and running, and it was the installation shop (he had third party do it due to disability) not torquing the screws properly too. So don't worry, even "professionals" mess that up :v:

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Got a quick server-building cpu/mobo question that I figure you guys would know best about :

I helped my shithead brother turn his microcenter AMD pre-built into a usenet/*arrs machine. It's running Windows/DrivePool because he is incapable of learning how to use Unraid. The same bluescreening issues he refused to troubleshoot when it was his main desktop are now happening in the clean new install of Windows on this fileserver. I don't want to be his computer janitor and he just wants to throw money at the problem.

Which Intel QuickSync CPU/mobo combo will be enough to get him running again? He's got everything in a regular lovely microcenter store brand tower case.

I've got him running free Emby and I don't think he needs too much transcoding power. Maybe just enough to push 720p Bluey to his kids fire tablet or something like that. I have been AMD-only for the past decade so I don't know a lot about Intel or anything really.

Doesn't need to be top of the line and doesn't need to be ultra-value because it's his stupid money so who cares?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
It sounds like if he's refusing to learn and figuring out this himself, you will always be the server's janitor.

I'd say just get whatever relatively recent intel with quick sync you can find (and then find whatever cheap or overpriced mobo works for it), even i3s will have enough power to transcode for what is needed.

hogofwar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 24, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you only care about a single 720p stream you probably don't even need Quick Sync vs. just CPU transcoding, but anything Kaby Lake or newer can handle 10-bit HEVC (H.265) and would probably be fine. As far as I understand it the QuickSync unit is the same for all models across a given generation, so like hogofwar said a current i3 will do a great job as long as you avoid the -F models with no IGP.

I got an i5-10400 for my current Plex server a few years ago just to be sure it would be up to the task, and it's definitely overkill. I decided to test it once by opening simultaneous 1080p streams of different videos and got up to 7 with no issues before I said "I never have more than 4 users at a time, this is fine."

You could also just get a $40 Quadro P600 and put it in whatever old machine you want. I have a friend who uses an old Ivy Bridge Xeon workstation with no IGP, which runs TrueNAS bare metal and passes a GTX 970 through to a Windows VM for Plex. That's Maxwell so it's a generation older even, and it works great.

If you do want a separate machine though, unless you already have the parts it might be more effective to just buy a gently used mini-PC or laptop considering that something a few years old will do fine. The i5-1135G7 NUCs are going for like $200 on eBay and N100/N95 mini-PCs are around half that.

If you want to get into the weeds on which generation does what, this is the best source I know: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Hardware_decoding_and_encoding

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 25, 2024