Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Hadlock posted:

The battery on my pixel 5 is finally at the point where I'm probably gonna upgrade to the 8 soon.

The pixel 5 is my first and going to be my last pixel, after using it I can't understand why people like them other than the battery life. The worst thing is it randomly unlocking in my pocket without touching the fingerprint sensor.

I am picking up one of those lights on my next trip to harbor freight. Everything should be switching to some kind of USB charging standard, I want to throw away the 50 wall warts sitting all over the basement and garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

The pixel 5 is my first and going to be my last pixel, after using it I can't understand why people like them other than the battery life. The worst thing is it randomly unlocking in my pocket without touching the fingerprint sensor.

I've never had a problem like that and I've had them all up to the 7. My problem is that they have all been too big since the 3. I don't game on my phone. I prefer using a desktop or at least a laptop to do non-phone things. I do not need a mini-tablet that barely fits in my pocket and will bend and break if I leave it in my back pocket while crawling under some broken mower/tractor/car.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I take a lot of photos and I've always really liked the camera on the pixel, plus it's fairly "vanilla" phone in terms of built in apps etc

When you buy a Samsung you get the Samsung version of every app, which I don't like

The pixel is as close to a hammer/toaster as I'm gonna get out of an android phone

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Same.

I like some of the specs on Samsung but I can't get over the os customization. I had a Samsung tablet a few years back and just couldn't get used to the interface.

Ms slidebite has a current Samsung work phone and needed a hand with setting it up and I just couldn't stand it.

Obviously ymmv and everyone has preferences, but mine is definitely as close to vanilla android as possible.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm just happy I can change the battery in my Samsung galaxy something or other that I just bought. So hopefully I'll have this thing for more than a year or two

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I take a lot of photos and I've always really liked the camera on the pixel, plus it's fairly "vanilla" phone in terms of built in apps etc

When you buy a Samsung you get the Samsung version of every app, which I don't like

The pixel is as close to a hammer/toaster as I'm gonna get out of an android phone

Yeah, absolutely. I started out with a Nexus as a reference phone for testing at work and that was the first time I realized android wasn't a complete pile of garbage, it was the manufacturers and carriers causing most of the problems.

Motorola has added a few gadgets (their gestures app, and app to control the outer screen, and some Dolby sound app) but it's all pretty unobtrusive even as someone coming from multiple years of "pure android" Pixels.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I had a Pixel 6 Pro, and wasn't really geared up to replace it, but my wife found a promo for the 8 Pro when it came out, and she was super jealous of my photos vs whatever high end Samsung she always had, so I got us each an 8 Pro. It's great. All of our parents are on the 7 and being able to be on the same os and answer questions is great.

Unless Insulet releases the iOS omnipod app soon I'm going to give the 6pro or a regular 7 to my kid to run his diabetes poo poo. iPhone SE and the random janky thing running his pump is getting old, and heavy for him.

TOOL WISE I finally bought a QuickJack. Now I just need life to stop being a dumpster fire long enough to set it up and play with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Alarbus posted:

I had a Pixel 6 Pro, and wasn't really geared up to replace it, but my wife found a promo for the 8 Pro when it came out, and she was super jealous of my photos vs whatever high end Samsung she always had, so I got us each an 8 Pro. It's great. All of our parents are on the 7 and being able to be on the same os and answer questions is great.

Unless Insulet releases the iOS omnipod app soon I'm going to give the 6pro or a regular 7 to my kid to run his diabetes poo poo. iPhone SE and the random janky thing running his pump is getting old, and heavy for him.

TOOL WISE I finally bought a QuickJack. Now I just need life to stop being a dumpster fire long enough to set it up and play with it.

I've got my parents on the same phone too and you're right, it's so much easier to walk them through the menus.