Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Ive no clue so im not of much help when it comes to advice, but im definitely curious to hear what you want to do and why!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Only thing I could see is that any routing wouldn't be covered by a standard pickguard if you changed your mind. Are you trying to do some kinda weird Jazz bass thing with MM pickups?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Would I be crazy to modify a perfectly good Stingray Special 4HH to move the pickups closer to the bridge? I feel confident that it'll sound how I want it, and would have the work done by a luthier.

If anybody cares I'd be happy to describe what I'm doing and why, but for now I'm just wondering if there's some downside or alternative I'm missing. I love the Stingray and don't want to sell it, I just want it to sound different.

I’d do it on a ray4 or 24, not a EBMM, but if you wanna do it post pics and sound for us to compare

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Yeah I thought about the pick guard. Right now I'm thinking I'll leave it off and let it be ugly. gently caress yeah.

I'm doing a Wal type thing, trying to sound like Justin Chancellor. Most if it is figured out and I can get really dang close with my Schecter Stiletto Stealth, but it's a cheap instrument that feels like a toy. I want to get a similar sound but with the much nicer Stingray.

The idea is to have a double humbucker bass with the pickups located really far down by the bridge, run that through a micro amp to give it a boost, then through a low-pass filter pedal (specifically So High So Low by Analog Music Company) with resonance to get the Wal preamp sound, then through all the other effects. With the Schecter it sounds really close to what I want.

My Schecter has a humbucker waaaay down by the bridge plus a p-bass pickup, so it's close but not quite the same as a double humbucker. The dream is to relocate the Stingray pickups to get even closer to replicating a Wal.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Risky Bisquick posted:

I’d do it on a ray4 or 24, not a EBMM, but if you wanna do it post pics and sound for us to compare

I actually have a Ray34 but it's only one pickup. That's gonna stay how it is so I still have a classic stingray to play.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Yeah I thought about the pick guard. Right now I'm thinking I'll leave it off and let it be ugly. gently caress yeah.

I'm doing a Wal type thing, trying to sound like Justin Chancellor. Most if it is figured out and I can get really dang close with my Schecter Stiletto Stealth, but it's a cheap instrument that feels like a toy. I want to get a similar sound but with the much nicer Stingray.

The idea is to have a double humbucker bass with the pickups located really far down by the bridge, run that through a micro amp to give it a boost, then through a low-pass filter pedal (specifically So High So Low by Analog Music Company) with resonance to get the Wal preamp sound, then through all the other effects. With the Schecter it sounds really close to what I want.

My Schecter has a humbucker waaaay down by the bridge plus a p-bass pickup, so it's close but not quite the same as a double humbucker. The dream is to relocate the Stingray pickups to get even closer to replicating a Wal.

If done nicely, pickguard-less can look pretty good. Every once in a while I go look at this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKw0ZFERZIo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Adding an amp boost to a Stingray. The bass is gonna be deep enough to be labeled a weapon lol

DrChu
May 14, 2002

But a cheap Sterling By Musicman or SUB (the cheap import ones) bass and go to town on the body with a router to test things out without ruining your nice bass.

Alternatively, try out a G&L L2000. The pickups are basically where it sounds like you want to move yours to, and can easily be modded to have the coils in the pickups be in parallel to get you a tone closer to a Stingray.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I have a little bass ukulele and a cheap, portable Joyo battery-powered bass amp for playing outdoors.

The issue I have is that when I hook the bass up it simply refuses to play. The batteries in both the bass and amp are new, it works fine with my computer's interface and also if I use a headphone amp and aux cable into the Joyo.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

kare
Mar 19, 2002

Captain Splendid posted:

I have a little bass ukulele and a cheap, portable Joyo battery-powered bass amp for playing outdoors.

The issue I have is that when I hook the bass up it simply refuses to play. The batteries in both the bass and amp are new, it works fine with my computer's interface and also if I use a headphone amp and aux cable into the Joyo.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

What kind of cable are you using to hook up the ukulele to the amp? Instrument cable (mono)?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

kare posted:

What kind of cable are you using to hook up the ukulele to the amp? Instrument cable (mono)?

Just a regular guitar/bass cable affair

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This is at a pawn shop near me. I’m assuming it’s just a Fuzz Face stuffed in there but I am intrigued.

Edit: It’s a Maestro FZ-1. Fuzz Face didn’t exist yet.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 17, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's dope. Bet it would sound killer through an old ampeg

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cross-posting from the metal thread: Looking for some recommendations.

I've been playing bass for close to two decades now but last month I acquired my first 5-string (a "Toby" from the small Chicagoland brand Tobias) when I found it on sale for $200 at a music store that was going out of business. I am still very much getting used to it--the extra string totally fucks with my muscle memory.

A little description of my usual practice setup: I have Spotify playlists of songs pulled from my library for what are now my three basses based on tunings--one for standard or close to standard 4-string, one for 4-string from D standard down to B standard, and now one for the 5-string (either intended for play on an extended bass or sub-B standard). I throw these on shuffle and try to play along to tabs at speed.

Unsurprisingly, the 5-string playlist is the least populated (a little over 900 songs at the moment), and it is dominated by a handful of artists. Furthermore, bands that deploy 5-string basses tend to be hyper-technical prog types, and while I enjoy the challenge of trying to play along to BTBAM or Dream Theater, I am not that caliber of player and even less that caliber on a type of bass I'm not used to.

So basically I am looking for bands and songs that fit the following criteria: 1) Use a 5-string and/or very low tuning, 2) are on Spotify, 3) have tabs available on free sites like Songsterr or Ultimate-Guitar, and 4) are not extremely demanding technically. Open to any genre, metal or otherwise. I figure this could also be a fun way to check out some new bands!

Some examples on my playlist of the type of thing I'm looking for:

Amon Amarth
Benighted
Cannibal Corpse
Edge of Sanity
Giant Squid
Meshuggah (I'm fine with crazy time signatures, just not crazy fingering patterns)
Orphaned Land
Sanguisugabogg

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Pretty sure Al Cisneros goes five strong with Om.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Every Om tab I’ve ever seen is like “here’s one of the riffs, improvise the rest!”

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

You should learn some Cynic stuff, a lot of Sean's basslines are simpler than they sound and they're always tasty af.

Allegeaon has a few flashy technical bits, but their basslines are pretty accessible for the most part and their compositions are usually really fresh and fun.

Hath also do some incredibly simple but fat and groovy 5-string lines, probably worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cynic I’ve got covered. Allegaeon are something I would assume are well beyond my level but maybe they’re one of those bands that are pretty playable until you get to a tapping section. Hadn’t thought to look for Hath stuff—I liked their album from a couple of years ago.