Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arist posted:

I actually kinda disagree, the lack of chapters makes a lot of the best Discworld novels extremely engrossing. I would sometimes read an entire book in a single sitting just because there was no good place to stop and I was that enraptured by the story.

That's fair, it's definitely a matter of taste. I would find myself a bit tired towards the end for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

sebmojo posted:

Literally the only difference is they have chapters, which actually makes for a better read and i wish all his books did.

boooo

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

citybeatnik posted:

The talk of dwarf bread reminded me of the Scone of Stone and the Low King's ax from The Fifth Elephant, both of which have colored my view of the Ship of Theseus problem to the point that I can't grok the opposing view.

I'm not English or Scottish, so the whole Scone of Stone thing kinda went over my head, until I listened to David Mitchell's Unruly (a history of English monarchs) and he mentioned Scottish monarchs being crowned on the Stone of Scone.

For 30 years I've been reading these drat books, and I am still constantly discovering new references, new jokes I didn't fully understand.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Arist posted:

I actually kinda disagree, the lack of chapters makes a lot of the best Discworld novels extremely engrossing. I would sometimes read an entire book in a single sitting just because there was no good place to stop and I was that enraptured by the story.
this is great in theory. In practice, i read as much as i can before having to break it off in a bad place to stop because i have real life stuff i have to do.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A Life With Footnotes has already made me cry and I'm only about 90 minutes in to the audio book, so I'm sure this is going to go really well. But holy crap, I don't remember ever identifying with anyone as hard as I did with Terry when I listened to the section about him discovering the joy of reading and turning into a kid who was constantly reading all kinds of poo poo. Because that was 100% me, and I suspect 100% a lot of people in this thread.

Rob really is quite a skilled writer himself, and his narration is able to inject a lot of warmth to the book. It really is fantastic so far.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

A Life With Footnotes has already made me cry and I'm only about 90 minutes in to the audio book, so I'm sure this is going to go really well. But holy crap, I don't remember ever identifying with anyone as hard as I did with Terry when I listened to the section about him discovering the joy of reading and turning into a kid who was constantly reading all kinds of poo poo. Because that was 100% me, and I suspect 100% a lot of people in this thread.

Rob really is quite a skilled writer himself, and his narration is able to inject a lot of warmth to the book. It really is fantastic so far.

It's great all the way through. I can feel Terry on Rob's shoulder tsking when a sentence doesn't quite sit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
There any more info on this?
https://www.thebookseller.com/news/transworld-to-publish-lost-terry-pratchett-story-featuring-fan-artwork