Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello Thread!

Several wine games started to fail to launch with an error after a recent update, and upon investigation I rediscovered that I've been running wine-staging for some time (with maybe some wine-hq repositories?). Was probably due to a good reason, ages ago, but nowadays I'm sure 9.0 will do just fine. I'm on Ubuntu, whose 'wine' package is still 5.0, so I installed wine-stable and was about to uninstall wine-staging & wine-devel and trying to recall how to nominate which version of wine it defaults to when I saw that removing the package will install a whole butt-load of new stuff and raise the install by half a gig.

What the everliving feck have I done to my install, and how do I start to un-fudge it?
(Using screenshots as the copy/paste is rudely large on these forums, there's no way to collapse text is there?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

it doesn't! even KDE has no love for screensavers. at most you can set the screen lock to be a picture slideshow.

OTOH if someone really wanted to make a screensaver that was just pretty graphics and no security, it would not be that hard. JWZ is only saying things like "I can't detect user activity on wayland" because he is a caveman and anything that's not down at the systems level doesn't exist to him. Kde has a way to get idle time and I'm sure gnome does too. So you could make a simple thing that waited until N idle minutes according to the window manager, then launched the fun demoscene screensaver.

i'd really love if it were possible to make kscreenlocker show fullscreen output from an application or something, i want my ssstars.scr running again. don't bother recreating whole screensavers, just make it possible to let an application run fullscreen in front of the lock screen after a timer

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Serephina posted:

Hello Thread!

Several wine games started to fail to launch with an error after a recent update, and upon investigation I rediscovered that I've been running wine-staging for some time (with maybe some wine-hq repositories?). Was probably due to a good reason, ages ago, but nowadays I'm sure 9.0 will do just fine. I'm on Ubuntu, whose 'wine' package is still 5.0, so I installed wine-stable and was about to uninstall wine-staging & wine-devel and trying to recall how to nominate which version of wine it defaults to when I saw that removing the package will install a whole butt-load of new stuff and raise the install by half a gig.

What the everliving feck have I done to my install, and how do I start to un-fudge it?
(Using screenshots as the copy/paste is rudely large on these forums, there's no way to collapse text is there?)

Alternatively, have you tried just using Steam as your emulation layer? For some games it just works where wine doesn't or needs a lot of config.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mantle posted:

Alternatively, have you tried just using Steam as your emulation layer? For some games it just works where wine doesn't or needs a lot of config.

Yea I use proton for most games, but some things are just easier to have double-click support for. Also I should probably un-screw whatever I've done before I discover my work applications having troubles.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Serephina posted:

You could try to dodge the recommends and see if that's where all the extra bulk is?
apt-get --no-install-recommends remove wine-staging

Apparently you can also edit apt.conf somewhere to turn off recommends.

But I dunno why all the media libraries are being installed / changing. Surely you already had gstreamer.

If things are still screwy after running that I suppose you could remove *all* wine packages, do an autoclean to get rid of whatever dependencies the staging & devel versions added, and then install the standard wine.

Serephina posted:

Yea I use proton for most games, but some things are just easier to have double-click support for.

IMO it's very nice to keep a separate system wine and games wine (including also the wine prefixes). Lutris also has internal wine management for installing the latest versions and using them for games. And can make desktop shortcuts.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Serephina posted:

Hello Thread!

I'm wondering if you need to remove both devel and staging in a single operation? My assumption being that they both require many of the same packages, which might result in some kind of circular dependency thing.

apt remove wine-staging wine-devel

(idk if apt supports doing that)

Also, maybe see if apt autoremove does something better?

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
I'm not on Ubuntu, but there was an update to gstreamer recently that broke the built in quartz library and was preventing a bunch of my games from starting. Try installing the quartz package from winetricks into one of your prefixes. That did the trick for me.

It might also be helpful to see some of the errors you're getting when attempting to run your games.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Anarchy Stocking posted:

I'm not on Ubuntu, but there was an update to gstreamer recently that broke the built in quartz library and was preventing a bunch of my games from starting. Try installing the quartz package from winetricks into one of your prefixes. That did the trick for me.

It might also be helpful to see some of the errors you're getting when attempting to run your games.

LTS kernel also had a bug for AMD cards where games would crash if resizable bar was not enabled. I think it got patched very recently?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Sanity check: Okular can't arbitrarily scale a PDF for printing, right? I found the option to shrink to page/shrink to fit/do not shrink, but I can't find anywhere to put an arbitrary scale (like "44%" or "125%").

Edit: Needs to do layers, and scale larger/smaller than 100%.

And what's everybody's favorite PDF viewer with that option? (I am on a fresh install of Fedora with KDE and can't remember what I was using before.)

effika fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 14, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

effika posted:

Sanity check: Okular can't arbitrarily scale a PDF for printing, right? I found the option to shrink to page/shrink to fit/do not shrink, but I can't find anywhere to put an arbitrary scale (like "44%").

And what's everybody's favorite PDF viewer with that option? (I am on a fresh install of Fedora with KDE and can't remember what I was using before.)

Firefox has an arbitrary scale % for pdf printing, but only for going smaller than fit to page

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Klyith posted:

Firefox has an arbitrary scale % for pdf printing, but only for going smaller than fit to page

I use it to print sewing and quilting patterns, so sometimes I need to scale up. Oh, and layers, which Firefox doesn't do that I can see. I'll edit my post.

Command line is OK too since I will know what pages I want to print and what size by that point.

I'll install anything; I just don't want to install the entire Gnome desktop if I can help it.

effika fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 14, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wouldn't GIMP be able to do that?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
LibreOffice Draw can edit PDFs and might do what you need

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

effika posted:

I use it to print sewing and quilting patterns, so sometimes I need to scale up. Oh, and layers, which Firefox doesn't do that I can see. I'll edit my post.

Command line is OK too since I will know what pages I want to print and what size by that point.

I'll install anything; I just don't want to install the entire Gnome desktop if I can help it.

I've done this many times using command line tools. I forget which ones. Pdfutils maybe?

If you want a GUI maybe Inkscape can do what you want? Set the page size, import your pdf, then blow it up to 400% or whatever and drag it over the page to print each section.

Honestly this might be a better answer since you're going to need some overlap to tape them together into a single pattern. Most patterns I've seen have already done this for you, but I guess not all!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

As far as selecting layers goes, if you want to write some Python then you can probably do it with the PyMuPDF library. Honestly so much stuff that uses “Optional Content Groups” (layers) depends on other aspects of Acrobat that I would instead use Acrobat under Wine

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-adobe-acrobat-reader-dc-wine-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Am I dreaming that hibernate won’t be a buggy mess in TYOOL 2024. I followed this guide and I can get it to work, but it takes a good deal of babysitting to get it to actually work when I send the hibernate command. Sometimes it acts like SELinux is blocking it and goes to the login screen - when this happens I can get it to hibernate after hitting the hibernate button a few times.

If I set SELinux to permissive to troubleshoot, it definitely tries to hibernate but only made it to turning off the displays, then the fans cranked up to max for like a minute and I could feel the heat belching out of the computer so I turned it off to try again. I ended up just putting it in sleep mode since it’s a desktop, but I do prefer hibernate and have been using the desktop as a test case for my laptop.

I’m on Fedora 40 with KDE 6. Not sure I’m looking for specific help unless there’s a magic bullet, more just lamenting that I haven’t been able to figure it out yet after being on a pretty good run of tackling my other bizarre hobbyist OS desires lately.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well Played Mauer posted:

Am I dreaming that hibernate won’t be a buggy mess

yes.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

cruft posted:

I've done this many times using command line tools. I forget which ones. Pdfutils maybe?

If you want a GUI maybe Inkscape can do what you want? Set the page size, import your pdf, then blow it up to 400% or whatever and drag it over the page to print each section.

Honestly this might be a better answer since you're going to need some overlap to tape them together into a single pattern. Most patterns I've seen have already done this for you, but I guess not all!

I don't know how I skipped over Inkscape. It'll be very useful for doing pattern alterations before printing. LibreOffice Draw absolutely chugs on even smaller PDFs, and I have some A0 pages that I sometimes alter.

GIMP does what I want but isn't the best for that purpose compared to other tools.

And for those playing along at home: It was Evince, aka Document Viewer, that does layers and has arbitrary scaling in the print dialogue because it uses the system dialogue to print like a sane application. I don't know why they decided Okular needed to Be Cool and do its own thing, but man, is that annoying.

Well Played Mauer posted:

Am I dreaming that hibernate won’t be a buggy mess in TYOOL 2024. I followed this guide and I can get it to work, but it takes a good deal of babysitting to get it to actually work when I send the hibernate command. Sometimes it acts like SELinux is blocking it and goes to the login screen - when this happens I can get it to hibernate after hitting the hibernate button a few times.

If I set SELinux to permissive to troubleshoot, it definitely tries to hibernate but only made it to turning off the displays, then the fans cranked up to max for like a minute and I could feel the heat belching out of the computer so I turned it off to try again. I ended up just putting it in sleep mode since it’s a desktop, but I do prefer hibernate and have been using the desktop as a test case for my laptop.

I’m on Fedora 40 with KDE 6. Not sure I’m looking for specific help unless there’s a magic bullet, more just lamenting that I haven’t been able to figure it out yet after being on a pretty good run of tackling my other bizarre hobbyist OS desires lately.

I am knocking on wood right now. I have never had hibernate work well at all up until this install. I am afraid to touch anything, lest whatever magic finally worked stopped working. But it hasn't worked right for me across multiple distros, DEs, and the last 17 Fedora versions.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

cruft posted:

pdfjam is what I use to scale/nup PDFs into a new PDF. I'm not sure how it handles layers. It's based on the LaTeX pdfpages packages which basically just applies clipping/transform matrices to the existing document's draw ops, for better or worse.

pdftocairo will "render" a PDF using a libcairo backend which supports PDF, PostScript, or PNG if you want raster. It supports scaling but I'm not sure how the scale options are actually interpreted and they may be backend specific. It also, frustratingly, tends to generate PostScript that breaks on my 2008 Brother printer.

There's also pdftops (Xpdf), pdf2ps, and ps2pdf (GhostScript) that I believe support scale options.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

My Windows laptop turned into an unusable mess as Windows explorer suddenly started to crash randomly. It being the year of Linux on desktop I installed Fedora on it, and I’m surprised how easy it was to set up full disk encryption that I can unlock using my Yubikey. Incredible, I remember trying something like this out on Ubuntu years ago and it was a mess.

I’m excited in which fun way it will break in the future

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

rayman_yeah.ogg

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
You can do a surprising amount of pdf work with imagemagik and there is pdfutils. I haven't used either one with layers, though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wasn't imagemagick used for the image macro that, you know, made image macros a thing on SA, and which spread far and wide?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Wasn't imagemagick used for the image macro that, you know, made image macros a thing on SA, and which spread far and wide?

...huh. TIL.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Imagemagik is used in a lot of backends.
I once experienced the admins updating a cae package that costs tens of thousands Euro in subscription fees. Some parts stopped working because admin had a wrong version of imagemagik on the server.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Which one was that?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I think even The Onion’s website used to use imagemagick or something similar to generate their headlines with the same font they used in their print issues.

This was before webfonts were a thing so they just had images of the headline text in the correct font.

I remember finding the path to the script that generated them and had fun making my own headlines since they just accepted whatever URL variable came with the request and sent you back a PNG with the headline

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

Which one was that?
To put the Impact typeface, as used in the SA logos, on images with a text to make the image funnier or "funnier".
I do believe that's where that whole thing comes from.

It also got used to make [img - timeline] work, I think?

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I like how it handles auto-updates too. Brings down the current container, pulls the new one, spins it up then, and most importantly, if the healthcheck for the container fails, rolls back to the previous image for the container.

Obviously things could still be wrong in a way that don't completely bork the container after an update, but that check is already significantly superior to updates that docker does.

Podman auto updates sound fully sick. I wonder if my weird compose files will work in it. I have traefik all setup and everything.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Nitrousoxide posted:

I like how it handles auto-updates too. Brings down the current container, pulls the new one, spins it up then, and most importantly, if the healthcheck for the container fails, rolls back to the previous image for the container.

Obviously things could still be wrong in a way that don't completely bork the container after an update, but that check is already significantly superior to updates that docker does.

Docker has been doing the exact same thing for >5 years as long as you use the orchestration ("swarm") mode - which basically means it's "docker stack deploy" instead of "docker compose up", but otherwise you use the same file. And if you have multiple replicas of the container, it will upgrade one at a time and avoid any downtime.

I'm a convinced nomad+podman user myself nowadays for several other reasons, but I always thought Swarm was underrated.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 16, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

What is the actually recommended way to handle storage access for quadlets?
Stuff like my Jellyfin container reading my media library. On my old setup I just use local directory volumes in the command line. And the autoconverter gave me volume mounts in the quadlet.container file which works ok. Unless I want to do something like mounting a directory that is on an nfs mount on a selinux machine.

The official manual seems to assume that you do that or use .volume files, without any backing configuration. Which seems to create a volume somewhere where the containers live, and I presume would be getting backed by a backup job inside the container.

And I suppose, some part of the documentation also mentions that you can use docker plugins written by some rando on github. Which are even less documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

.volume files will just create podman volumes. For non-root podman they would go in: $HOME/.local/share/containers/storage/volumes/

You can back them up in a few ways.

I wrote a script that will do it a while back and added it to the podman's example repo.
https://github.com/containers/appstore/blob/main/scripts/podman-volume-backup.sh

Or you can choose your backup utility of choice like dupliciti and attach the volumes you want to back up to it like any other container for it to do its thing.

Network mounts should work fine for podman containers if you mount them via the host and add the path in your quadlet file. I do this for my local cifs share with my tv shows on it and it works just fine on a coreos vm. Non-podman managed paths can be added directly in the .container quadlet file. Look at some examples on the repo.

https://github.com/containers/appstore/tree/main

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 16, 2024