Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

Tenebrais posted:

There's an interesting twist possible that if Redcloak does disappoint The Dark One enough to stop receiving spells, that also prevents Thor's solution from working, since there would no longer be a ninth-level spell slot in purple.

There's also a possibility that TDO stops giving Redcloak spells because they learn of Thor's plan. They might prefer oblivion for all to ever accepting aid or cooperation from the old guard in the long-term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Dunno if there are special rules for Fallen Clerics, but presumably he could get them back if he managed to atone.

That could be a decent plot thread since it would suddenly become in everyone's best interest to find a way to appeal to The Dark One directly.

Or, he could just convert to a follower of Dark Two

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Or, he could just convert to a follower of Dark Two

Oh lord, is it possible Redcloak has enough goblin followers thanks to Gobbotopia that he could become a God alongside TDO?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Randalor posted:

Oh lord, is it possible Redcloak has enough goblin followers thanks to Gobbotopia that he could become a God alongside TDO?

I doubt it - he's specifically and openly TDO's priest, so any belief in him is going to be belief in the god he represents.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tenebrais posted:

I doubt it - he's specifically and openly TDO's priest, so any belief in him is going to be belief in the god he represents.

How would a sectarian rift a la Sunnis and Shias work in this framework? They all believe in one God, and his great prophet, but then there's deep division about the role of the prophet's son in law and khalif.

What I'm trying to say is that we just need a very expensive team of rules lawyers for Mr. Redcloak...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You'd probably need someone else to claim that they are the true High Priest of The Dark One. Could probably make a credible case if they're both getting spells, regardless of who's holding the mantle.

That'd split the religion but I can't imagine it raising any new gods. For that you'd need a more secular figure doing great deeds under their own power, that the Dark One's followers also start believing in. Or for TDO to deliberately elevate someone himself, if he has enough juice for it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tenebrais posted:

Multiple forgotten realms deities have that exact backstory though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I feel like there could definitely be a Small Gods situation where (Small Gods byTerry Pratchett spoilers i guess) the Church of Om had all the faith but no one (except Brudda) actually believed in Om the god so he was almost completely powerless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

But would it, though? I mean, Redcloak's actually achievement in making a proper city for goblin-kind and the downtrodden monsters wasn't part of his priest duties. I guess the question is does belief in Redcloak-the-politician count as belief in Redcloak-the-priest-of-TDO.