Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Phoenix dance formation for the antiair property on 4/5th of your party so you stop missing on channelers when not doing combos. Put the tankiest person possible in the middle and they should generally tank all the single target attacks - just have them guard while the rest of your party moves during those attacks. A robot that can use the Guardian program to cover for the AoEs is good for those turns.

I think stuns on bosses are terrible strategies, I think they operate just like debuffs which means big hp sponges just ignore it most of the time until they're well and already close to death. You can stun the channelers sometimes but I find it's just better to kill them with damage. Channelers block to the left (I think? or maybe that's the statues in another version of this fight, been awhile) so try to move after them or hit them during chanting.

Think the worst aspect of this fight is all the AoE debuffs so I think I went into this one with 4 of the robots. You will have to weather robot paralysis/stun though unless you put up the Robot buff for debuff immunity.

This is the way I did it too. Make your main tank diva, give her a ton armor and the blade attractor accessory (anything that resists lightning/sword moves is a plus like the greaves accessory for more sword aggro) and she will negate half of the final bosses attacks by herself. Getting hit for like 30-40 when she has 500+ hp. Give her guardian program and everyone else some kind of deflect or parry, use it for the ultimate move. You can also have her use guardian program during the aoe lightning/poison moves to prevent the paralyze/poison on people.

Counter moves does wonders here for damaging adds. Make sure Wednesday has mightier than the sword and use that 3 times to debuff the boss's attack, I think Boudica can also learn an attack decreasing move pretty early thats a good alternative if you dont have that. Use pressure point or break armor 3 times to remove the bosses defensives too. Blath can learn moves that prevent/remove bad status as well.

Once its down to you and boss just start using combo's and showstoppers to whittle it down and you'll win eventually. Wednesday should be really good at showstoppers if you loaded her up with counter moves, and Diva with guardian program (or another mech) can protect her. Or whoever your "carry" is.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm playing as Ameya. Boh is useful but suffers from nobody in the party using one handed guns/lack of Kugutsu souls. If I had known that was how puppets worked I would have had Ameya use guns instead of one handed swords.
I think you can equip both the cat two handers for -2 BP on spells fwiw, maybe? I've had 1 BP sands for as long as I can remember but I forget how much of that is the formation vs the weapons.

And yeah if you don't have a powered Boh from Mido I'd just ditch him :/

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

JuniperCake posted:

This is the way I did it too. Make your main tank diva, give her a ton armor and the blade attractor accessory (anything that resists lightning/sword moves is a plus like the greaves accessory for more sword aggro) and she will negate half of the final bosses attacks by herself. Getting hit for like 30-40 when she has 500+ hp. Give her guardian program and everyone else some kind of deflect or parry, use it for the ultimate move. You can also have her use guardian program during the aoe lightning/poison moves to prevent the paralyze/poison on people.

Counter moves does wonders here for damaging adds. Make sure Wednesday has mightier than the sword and use that 3 times to debuff the boss's attack, I think Boudica can also learn an attack decreasing move pretty early thats a good alternative if you dont have that. Use pressure point or break armor 3 times to remove the bosses defensives too. Blath can learn moves that prevent/remove bad status as well.

Once its down to you and boss just start using combo's and showstoppers to whittle it down and you'll win eventually. Wednesday should be really good at showstoppers if you loaded her up with counter moves, and Diva with guardian program (or another mech) can protect her. Or whoever your "carry" is.

Thank you and Rascyc for this. I had been doing that formation but with Boudica, which I think was a mistake. Definitely makes sense for Diva because she has 600+ HP for me and doesn't really do meaningful damage. I'll pray to rng gods that I'm able to land enough blows and avoid a ton of blocks to take One World down.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Rascyc posted:

I think you can equip both the cat two handers for -2 BP on spells fwiw, maybe? I've had 1 BP sands for as long as I can remember but I forget how much of that is the formation vs the weapons.

And yeah if you don't have a powered Boh from Mido I'd just ditch him :/

I can't ditch him. I don't have any other party members.
And every time I equip two weapons I can't cast spells.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Folks have been mentioning Guardian Program - is that a thing I just haven't reached yet in Diva's campaign, or is there a particular piece of gear I should be looking out for/upgrading towards?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tortolia posted:

Folks have been mentioning Guardian Program - is that a thing I just haven't reached yet in Diva's campaign, or is there a particular piece of gear I should be looking out for/upgrading towards?

I believe it should be on certain defensive gear

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Tortolia posted:

Mechs can equip a lot of stuff, just check all your gear while equipping them to see what abilities they get from them.

Even the humble Doublet from early game has it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Righto, thanks. It’s not always the most clear what those skills on gear actually do.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
some of these arms upgrades dont seem a upgrade or even a sidegrade, like the big two handed gun going from what seems a different element but the stats are the same??

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, sometimes you get that where one option upgrades the weapon along its current path and the others just let you switch to the same tier on a different path. The sidegrade options are always pretty cheap as far as I’ve seen.

I also found a rusted heavy machine gun that started with less attack than the basic starting gun, and gets weaker with each upgrade. I’m really curious to see if there’s a payoff at the end or if it’s just a joke/mech only weapon (since it still gives mechs the stats you’d expect from an upgraded weapon)

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, sometimes you get that where one option upgrades the weapon along its current path and the others just let you switch to the same tier on a different path. The sidegrade options are always pretty cheap as far as I’ve seen.

I also found a rusted heavy machine gun that started with less attack than the basic starting gun, and gets weaker with each upgrade. I’m really curious to see if there’s a payoff at the end or if it’s just a joke/mech only weapon (since it still gives mechs the stats you’d expect from an upgraded weapon)

There is a payoff- the last upgrade turns it into a machine gun with over 70 attack power. It's a lot of materials though, and tbh I think I prefer the -1 BP after 5 turns the Divergence machine gun has over the raw attack power.

2h guns seem like they have very few "unique" options. I've picked up a bunch of special weapons for the other categories but so far I've only found that broken gun, Divergence, a flamethrower with a very underwhelming bonus (I think it was +damage when frenzied?) and a Hyperion Bazooka... in a demo run I didn't carry into the full game.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How does Bull Block work because I'm fighting the cow warden and sometimes I can break through it and combo him to death but at the third rematch he completely owns me

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Honest Thief posted:

How does Bull Block work because I'm fighting the cow warden and sometimes I can break through it and combo him to death but at the third rematch he completely owns me
Blocks everything to the left of the timeline, so if you want to deal damage with individual attacks you need either unblockable attacks or attack him from the right on the timeline. However bull block takes you so far along the right of the timeline you'll need some very slow attacks of your own to go that approach. Most spells are unblockable so you could spam spells too.

The real way to deal with this is to learn that all attacks during overdrive are unblockable, so aim for big combos that hit 200% on the meter so you get the guaranteed overdrive.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Man, still getting wrecked by optional battles.
This time it's The Overseer from Providence. He doesn't have a ton of HP but he has quite a few dangerous adds and the battle has a quirk that just goes 'Overseer and his bros are now tightly packed in the queue far away from your ability to disrupt their combo'
I gotta stop beating myself up over not being able to win these fights and just leave them for future playthroughs.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 18, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
nothing triggers your ocd like seeing a battle where you could have cleared a Mr. S trial but you didn't had it picked
I'm really digging the structure where you can follow waves and the choices funnel you into particular paths, if the game world weren't so abstracted and more of a conventional third person open world I could see that as a detriment, but here works really well

Rascyc posted:

Blocks everything to the left of the timeline, so if you want to deal damage with individual attacks you need either unblockable attacks or attack him from the right on the timeline. However bull block takes you so far along the right of the timeline you'll need some very slow attacks of your own to go that approach. Most spells are unblockable so you could spam spells too.

The real way to deal with this is to learn that all attacks during overdrive are unblockable, so aim for big combos that hit 200% on the meter so you get the guaranteed overdrive.

oh that explains why i was dmg him sometimes, anyways I managed to crush him eventually

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Diva’s final battle musics were bangers, what a finale.

Once again Wednesday stole the victory on the last turn :v:

I would not have wanted to attempt that without Wednesday and Blath having their defense ignoring gun/axe techs, though.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Tortolia posted:

Holy poo poo Diva’s final battle musics were bangers, what a finale.

It's really good! Such a fantastic finale.

I really love how every possible character she can recruit has a unique line on the first round of the final battle. They're all so supportive!

Random thought regarding diva's ending stuff I think implicitly that Diva singing the data as music basically let her shut down "it" and prevent Constantine from being able to keep restarting it. She basically song hacked it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Obligatum VII posted:

It's really good! Such a fantastic finale.

I really love how every possible character she can recruit has a unique line on the first round of the final battle. They're all so supportive!

Random thought regarding diva's ending stuff I think implicitly that Diva singing the data as music basically let her shut down "it" and prevent Constantine from being able to keep restarting it. She basically song hacked it.

Yeah everyone being like “yeah gently caress that guy, he sucks and what he did to you really sucks” was just a great moment there. And I assumed either it was something like that or Boudica just beat his rear end between rounds.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The UI could use some touchups like travelling through characters armaments with the shoulder buttons, or more clearly display which weapons are equipped

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wait, did I miss an opportunity to make a clear save for my Diva campaign last night? Game’s listing her with zero clears when I choose to import play data.

Guess I get to listen to the tunes again, but I hope this isn’t something where I get stonewalled on reattempts.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
The game saves your clear data automatically. If you just choose New Game from the main menu, do you get the options about what to carry over?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Snake Maze posted:

The game saves your clear data automatically. If you just choose New Game from the main menu, do you get the options about what to carry over?

I picked the option to use existing play data. If this reclear goes pear shaped I’ll check that.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
That's the "revisit saves from an old playthrough" option, once you clear a playthrough the game automatically groups all its saves in a folder there.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah, thank you, that wasn’t very clear. Confirmed that it did show up with a Diva clear after all.

…after I let the final boss showstopper and rampage over us :v:

Edit: I don’t know if Mido usually goes to visit the witches first but this is some funny stuff

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 20, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is there any way to disable the tips? it's getting a bit annoying to keep seeing the popups for stats for instance, when you finish a battle

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Even with changing tactics I'm just getting melted. At this point I might just trash 10 hours of gameplay and start a new character and save Diva for the last character and hope that my gear is good enough (and also speed through worlds so my BR remains as acceptable as possible).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I'm doing Siugnas and I just got my first piece of Sanguine Gear. So now I'm wondering if it's worth it to use the gear to upgrade my Vampires to knights. Because my only Vampire at the moment doesn't use 1HS and that's what the Sanguine Gear is. Also the Sanguine Gear is by far my best weapon right now.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 21, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Sangune gear gives great roles and knights get to equip blood techs that are all really strong (and don’t need to match their gear or anything). Ideally you’d knight a 1HS user but it’s probably worth it anyway, you can always swap the gear between knights once you get more.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Actually, that raises the question - I assume there's no penalty for Knights who show up again in later/different campaigns without their Sanguine gear? I doubt the game would inadvertently screw you by turning folks into wastrels, but never know.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Nope, everyone turns back to human at the start of a playthrough.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Bonnie & Formina's character music is so good, surely they're not going to be ripping this all the time? I'm gonna end up putting 50 hours into them

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Next question: I assume I get the titles that let me get dual-wield techs from actually dual wielding. Is the game a stickler for matching weapon subtypes? Like, can I dual-wield a hatchet and a dagger?
Second: is martial arts worth it? I like doing a little bit of everything but Martial Arts seem like they're pretty drat weak since there's no associated weapons so the base power of everything is just zero.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Anyone figured what the concepts on weapons tooltip refer too? Do you get them if u use that weapon, is that it?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Next question: I assume I get the titles that let me get dual-wield techs from actually dual wielding. Is the game a stickler for matching weapon subtypes? Like, can I dual-wield a hatchet and a dagger?
Second: is martial arts worth it? I like doing a little bit of everything but Martial Arts seem like they're pretty drat weak since there's no associated weapons so the base power of everything is just zero.

According to a video, you need specific combinations of certain techs at level III to get the roles:
Dual wielding swords: Seasoned Duelist, Lifesprinkler (longsword) and Mega Thrust (rapier)
Dual guns: Guns Blazing, One For One and Bound Shot
Sword/Gun: Sword And Gun Master: Mightier Than The Sword (gun) and Kaleidoscope (knives)

As for martial arts, they seem all right with a high martial arts proficiency, solid damage and blunt damage is mostly relegated to monster techs and a few of the two handed weapon techs so it’s nice to have imo.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Martial arts has a huge tech list and is really flexible. You can do stuff like have full damage type coverage, or move along the timeline very cheaply. The damage is okay, it can keep growing during that period where you have a scarcity of upgrade mats.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Martial arts are very good. Good move versatility, impact damage, some of the later techs have good effects associated with them (lightning kick is delay 2, shenlong firefist buffs attack power, pressure point reduces defense, etc), and there’s some mixed elemental damage combo moves to hit weaknesses. MA also tends to be reasonably speedy and versatile with where you land in the attack order.

Keep in mind that punches, kicks and tackles all have their own separate glimmer sets so keep one of each move type slotted in to learn moves, and you probably want to spend a little time using and wielding a weapon that can learn parries or whatnot for defense.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 21, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tortolia posted:

Keep in mind that punches, kicks and tackles all have their own separate glimmer sets so keep one of each move type slotted in to learn moves, and you probably want to spend a little time using and wielding a weapon that can learn parries or whatnot for defense.

The gently caress?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

Anyone figured what the concepts on weapons tooltip refer too? Do you get them if u use that weapon, is that it?

They're what let you turn ???? into an upgradeable weapon

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Mike_V posted:

They're what let you turn ???? into an upgradeable weapon

Ooh, makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

The gently caress?

That's how it worked in Scarlet Grace too!