Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I just watched episode 4 as well. It's certainly an excellent performance from that actor for Gavin.
Dory is exceptionally frustrating as a character. I hope the cringe eases up somewhat. I don't do well with socially awkward flailing as a key concept of a show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Spiteski posted:

I hope the cringe eases up somewhat.

:getin:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Watched episodes 5 and 6 of Search Party

I still have no idea what’s coming but keep yelling “NO! What are you doing?!?!” at stuff Dory does

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Oh that’s going to keep escalating

MDDY
Mar 21, 2008

I just finished binging the first two seasons of From, which is a show on MGM+. This show is best described as, "What if Lost was a horror movie?" I kinda love this sort of poo poo. I know inevitably nothing will be explained and they're just making up all this bullshit as they go. I love the journey of this sort of show though. It always hooks me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Spiteski posted:

I just watched episode 4 as well. It's certainly an excellent performance from that actor for Gavin.
Dory is exceptionally frustrating as a character. I hope the cringe eases up somewhat. I don't do well with socially awkward flailing as a key concept of a show

I reckon this is what stops most people from getting through the show's first season.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Spiteski posted:

I hope the cringe eases up somewhat.

I just got to episode 4 as well and... I'm getting the notion that it's better to go with the cringe, lean into it.

These are deeply hosed up people obsessively digging their own graves and constructing the pyres of their own social funerals. I switched from trying to root for any of them, to gleeful schadenfreude at their immense and creative self-destruction.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Fleve posted:

I just got to episode 4 as well and... I'm getting the notion that it's better to go with the cringe, lean into it.

These are deeply hosed up people obsessively digging their own graves and constructing the pyres of their own social funerals. I switched from trying to root for any of them, to gleeful schadenfreude at their immense and creative self-destruction.

Just watched 5, but yea this is gonna have to be the advice I go in with. I'm already hooked on the mystery, so I'll push through. I've had very few bum steers from SA so I'm hoping it pays off

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Cat Hassler posted:

Watched episodes 5 and 6 of Search Party

I still have no idea what’s coming but keep yelling “NO! What are you doing?!?!” at stuff Dory does

Oh, that might be something you can just record onto a button you can press. Otherwise you can really strain those vocal chords.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Spiteski posted:

I was really blown away by Griffin in that role when that first aired. Saw it and thought he was gonna go on to become a huge star. Highly recommend watching Amazon’s The Tick for more of him (and Peter Serafinowicz hamming it up to the extreme).

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
oh you innocent, sweet summer children, experiencing Dory et al for the first time

I am envious

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

Spiteski posted:

Just watched 5, but yea this is gonna have to be the advice I go in with. I'm already hooked on the mystery, so I'll push through. I've had very few bum steers from SA so I'm hoping it pays off

Buddy…….

it’s gonna :unsmigghh:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I recently watched Life on Our Planet and it left a sour taste. It has a lot of weird inaccuracies and the narrative is way over the top. Everytime Morgan Freeman said the words "bloodline" or "dynasty", or went on wildly out of date spiels about evolution and competition, I wanted to throw something at the screen. And the CGI isn't even particularly good. But I'm a sucker for prehistoric poo poo so I endured through the whole thing.

I then watched Prehistoric Planet and, man, what a palette cleanser! Presented as a level-headed BBC nature documentary, it makes quite an effort to incorporate the latest research while blending it with just the right amount of thought-provoking speculation on biology and behavior unknown to us.
And it's loving beautiful. The attention to detail, the lifelike movement, the lighting (they try to make it look as though everything's been shot with real cameras and it pays off). I really liked that they aren't shy to use practical effects here and there. The compositing is really impressive.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

anatomi posted:

I then watched Prehistoric Planet and, man, what a palette cleanser! Presented as a level-headed BBC nature documentary, it makes quite an effort to incorporate the latest research while blending it with just the right amount of thought-provoking speculation on biology and behavior unknown to us.
And it's loving beautiful. The attention to detail, the lifelike movement, the lighting (they try to make it look as though everything's been shot with real cameras and it pays off). I really liked that they aren't shy to use practical effects here and there. The compositing is really impressive.

The same people behind the live action Lion King worked on that series, which why it looks so good. In theory the VFX of "Life on our planet" should be better, because it was done by ILM and filled with more senior artists, but the Lion King team has a way of powering through with the right creative decisions.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

marie_eh posted:

I just finished binging the first two seasons of From, which is a show on MGM+. This show is best described as, "What if Lost was a horror movie?" I kinda love this sort of poo poo. I know inevitably nothing will be explained and they're just making up all this bullshit as they go. I love the journey of this sort of show though. It always hooks me.

From is my jam. Like you said, I'm going into it knowing I likely won't get lots of answers but I enjoy the setting and (most) of the characters. Harold is knocking it out of the park.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Ccs posted:

The same people behind the live action Lion King worked on that series, which why it looks so good. In theory the VFX of "Life on our planet" should be better, because it was done by ILM and filled with more senior artists, but the Lion King team has a way of powering through with the right creative decisions.
I had no idea! I haven't watched the Lion King remake but you can certainly tell in PP that the creators have studied real animals very, very well. Everytime there are close-ups of a dinosaur swallowing, or of its eyes, or its footpad landing on the ground, I really get the feeling that the team is (proudly, rightly) showing of.

Edit: I don't know what kind of constraints the ILM team was operating under, but it makes me a bit sad that Life didn't look better.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 17, 2024

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

MokBa posted:

I was really blown away by Griffin in that role when that first aired. Saw it and thought he was gonna go on to become a huge star. Highly recommend watching Amazon’s The Tick for more of him (and Peter Serafinowicz hamming it up to the extreme).

The Tick was great fun.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I just binged all of Succession in something like under two weeks and drat, what an interesting show. I think the biggest drawback is that its sometimes a bit repetitive in its plot points as characters continuously switch and re-switch sides, but drat if it isn't the TV equivalent of a page turner. I just want to see what these assholes get up to next.

And jesus christ what performances, dialogue writing, editing, and camerawork, just absolutely stunning work making something as simple as people in a room talking about stock buyouts feel exciting and engaging.

Why can't all drama do something as effective? Is it some magic confluence of factors that made it work? Why is 99% of TV and movies just boring flat bullshit while series like Shogun and Succession can make simple dialogue scenes pop the hell up?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Will Ferrell and Adam McKay make good movies

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I started a Babylon 5 binge this week, I needed some comfy 90s sci-fi and this is the one I've never watched from start to finish, only catching episodes here and there back when broadcast television was still a thing. I'm nearly at the end of the first season.

It made me resonate with the discussion earlier about watching TV from different eras. A lot of the dialogue feels overly scripted, or stilted, and it sometimes makes the characters feel like they know they're in a TV show or something. Maybe they feel like they're on a stage instead of a set, I dunno it's just a weird feeling I get sometimes when they deliver their lines (not with Londo or J'kar though, they're both over-dramatic but the actors sell it.) The fight and shootout scene coreography is also goofy-looking compared to the sharp snappy stuff we get nowadays with things like Daredevil or Banshee, and the VFX are of course laughable (I remember thinking it looked bad even back in the day) - but I'm still really loving it.

It's nice to know that most of the stuff getting set up is going to have a payoff which is what the show was famous for at the time, along with DS9 and Farscape, when serialisation was not the norm. One of the episodes, the medical ethical dilemma involving religious parents refusing treatment for their child that these shows always do, ends with the parents murdering their impure child after the Doc goes ahead and operates anyway. It genuinely surprised me for once by virtue of it being a 2010s level of grimdark in a 1990s show.

Also quite a few of the actors are dead now which makes me feel old. Gonna watch this when I'm done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FfKOubWE14

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

jokes posted:

Will Ferrell and Adam McKay made good movies

fixed

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

MokBa posted:

spookygonk posted:

The Tick was great fun.

Yes. 'The Tick' is really funny. Serafinowicz mindlessly bumping/knocking things over had me cracking up a bunch. Deserved more than two seasons.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cactus posted:

It made me resonate with the discussion earlier about watching TV from different eras. A lot of the dialogue feels overly scripted, or stilted, and it sometimes makes the characters feel like they know they're in a TV show or something. Maybe they feel like they're on a stage instead of a set, I dunno it's just a weird feeling I get sometimes when they deliver their lines (not with Londo or J'kar though, they're both over-dramatic but the actors sell it.) The fight and shootout scene coreography is also goofy-looking compared to the sharp snappy stuff we get nowadays with things like Daredevil or Banshee, and the VFX are of course laughable (I remember thinking it looked bad even back in the day) - but I'm still really loving it.

For what it's worth, these are features of Babylon 5 more than that particular era of TV. I looooove Babylon 5 to death, but it's a goofy-rear end show with a lot of very, uh, interesting and strange acting, especially in its first season. I was a huge nerdy sci-fi kid in the 90s when it was actually airing and I bounced right off of it at the time as feeling like a super cheap Star Trek imitation. I'm glad I eventually went back to it because it's great, but I don't think it's representative of that era of TV or even sci-fi. Deep Space 9 aired a year earlier and its first season feels drastically more modern by comparison. It doesn't help that they went all-in on CG when television-level CG still wasn't really on par at all with practical effects.

edit- I'm not even sure if "modern" is the word I'm looking to use here. B5's weirdness exists out of time and space.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Babylon Five is a masterpiece, but sure it's goofy. You can just see how Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas are having an absolute blast. And uh spoiler alert I guess, but Londo and G'kar have very tragic arks and you really loving care about those folks.

Also, there's Vir. He waves at people, it's really loving funny.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I watched Fearless Fonzarelli, the Happy Days two parter where the Fonz goes for a jump over 14 trash cans. My thought was, holy crap Henry Winkler is a legendary actor, and it's no wonder Fonz-mania took over the world.

I also enjoyed My Favorite Orkan, the first Robin Williams as Mork episode, talk about a star being born. Also the Laverne & Shirley few episodes before their show launched.

To me different styles (and eras of TV) can take some acclimating to, but when you're in, it's magic. Also digging The Prisoner lately.

I was also tearing up at like Sanford and Son, stuff holds up.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Heavy Metal posted:

I was also tearing up at like Sanford and Son, stuff holds up.

I always crack up remembering that Gary Shandling was a writer on Sanford and Son.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

For what it's worth, these are features of Babylon 5 more than that particular era of TV. I looooove Babylon 5 to death, but it's a goofy-rear end show with a lot of very, uh, interesting and strange acting, especially in its first season. I was a huge nerdy sci-fi kid in the 90s when it was actually airing and I bounced right off of it at the time as feeling like a super cheap Star Trek imitation. I'm glad I eventually went back to it because it's great, but I don't think it's representative of that era of TV or even sci-fi. Deep Space 9 aired a year earlier and its first season feels drastically more modern by comparison. It doesn't help that they went all-in on CG when television-level CG still wasn't really on par at all with practical effects.

edit- I'm not even sure if "modern" is the word I'm looking to use here. B5's weirdness exists out of time and space.

Yeah I think you're probably right, as much as those other shows have their 90s-isms I don't remember them being as noticable about it as this show is being. Hell, even the other example I gave, Farscape, is an entirely different beast.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

3 Body Problem (American adaptation) - I liked this one more than the more book-accurate version. I think one of it's key strengths over the other one are that without having to slavishly adapt every word, they can condense some of the theoretical and messy stuff into a grim drama. I loved the Clarence character, who is an amalgam of two different guys from the book and I liked that the five scientists had some personal history. The book is some of the most interesting science fiction in years and the show takes the stuff out of the book that I found crippling to the pace and jettisons it. It also has some moments that were made up whole cloth and they work. Seriously good television

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thoroughly enjoyed Fallout. It's fun, gory, and you got Walton Goggins playing a cowboy gunslinger. Can't go wrong.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

3 Body Problem (American adaptation) - I liked this one more than the more book-accurate version. I think one of it's key strengths over the other one are that without having to slavishly adapt every word, they can condense some of the theoretical and messy stuff into a grim drama. I loved the Clarence character, who is an amalgam of two different guys from the book and I liked that the five scientists had some personal history. The book is some of the most interesting science fiction in years and the show takes the stuff out of the book that I found crippling to the pace and jettisons it. It also has some moments that were made up whole cloth and they work. Seriously good television

I really liked it except for the Auggie (Aggie?) character. Good god she sucked.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Field Mousepad posted:

I really liked it except for the Auggie (Aggie?) character. Good god she sucked.

I agree with that completely.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I loving loved the canal scene.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The canal scene was brutal and amazing

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Finished season 1 of Search Party. Kept my interest I guess!

Got a spoiler about a later season and I’m like :stare: “How the gently caress does this story end up there?”

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Started s2 e1 of Search Party and I’ve already yelled “OHHHH gently caress!!!” like four times

This is getting good

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
By this point the show is driving down a steep slope into awesome valley. No turning back anymore! :unsmigghh:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Finished season 2 of Fringe now. Most of it was on background cause I watched it when it aired but the last episodes of season 2 got me paying attention cause that's when the fringe stuff really starts to happen.

I'm excited to see Anna Torv (MAJOR spoilers here for the series) play 3 different characters now cause IIRC she plays Olivia + Fauxlivia + William.

Less spoilery, the cops (of which the main character is, so ACAB and all) all just run around with guns drawn and indiscriminately blasting all the time lol. Do modern cop shows have cops being so trigger happy?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dunno if it's modern anymore, since Jesus Christ it's been running for 25 years, but SVU sort of makes a big deal about shooting, but makes up for it by Elliot just wantonly physically assaulting suspects and this is presented as a good thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rappaport posted:

Dunno if it's modern anymore, since Jesus Christ it's been running for 25 years, but SVU sort of makes a big deal about shooting, but makes up for it by Elliot just wantonly physically assaulting suspects and this is presented as a good thing.
I had no idea that SVU was even still running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

They had a spin-off and everything. Mariska Hargitay is running the show now, and she's made the emphasis more about the victims, I think? Whereas in the earlier seasons it was Elliot or Ice-T beating someone up for a confession.