Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Whatever happened to the rest of the Titans anyway? Like the Sister wife of Chronos, Rhea?

It would be funny if every ten victories Rhea just barges in yelling about him being late on child support payments and just straight up pulling some Shun Goku Satsu move on him. Like how in the first game Hades gives you a freebie for your tenth victory.

I wanna see Chronos babymama drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Torrannor posted:

The one Olympian I'm sad the most about missing is Athena, I always liked her as a character and boon giver.

IIRC Supergiant said all the original gods would be returning for Hades 2, so presumably we'll be seeing Athena, Ares (very much looking forward to that one given the backdrop) and Dio in later updates.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Athena, I assume is being sidelined for the moment because going into Arachne's den with Athena's boon will not end well.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
maybe it's a small thing, but it annoys me that artemis doesn't have her older sassy writing. the writing doesn't feel very specific to the characters saying the lines, if that makes sense

always hard to weigh objective reality against your own nostalgic memories of hades 1, but the dialogue's not doing it for me in 2 in some respects, especially when it comes to making each character stand out more. then again, early access, and maybe these are just the cookie cutter lines rather than the stuff woven into character and story development etc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kliras posted:

maybe it's a small thing, but it annoys me that artemis doesn't have her older sassy writing. the writing doesn't feel very specific to the characters saying the lines, if that makes sense

always hard to weigh objective reality against your own nostalgic memories of hades 1, but the dialogue's not doing it for me in 2 in some respects, especially when it comes to making each character stand out more. then again, early access, and maybe these are just the cookie cutter lines rather than the stuff woven into character and story development etc

I mean, Artemis is absolutely going to treat a dude differently than a lady, let alone a lady she has formed a close bond with.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

my big thing is Melinoe & Hecate are just not as interesting, either on their own or when they interact, as Zagreus & Hades were

maybe in part it's nostalgia, or maybe because if i wanted to play a socially-awkward girl i'd be turning off my monitor, idk

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Fun fact: if you have a boon like Heph's armour-giving one, and it gets rarified by the keepsake that does it when you drink from a fountain, it refills all the armour it gave you completely, even if you already lost the armour.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It may just be flavor. To be honest I'm way more down for "Socially awkward girl and her adoptive mother" than "Abusive dad (who seriously loves you deep beneath)" stories. I really like Mel and Hecate, honestly more than I like Zag and Hades together. (I like Zag a bit more than Mel on his own but he also had a whole game to grow on me.)

I also am honestly a bit more down for the fact Hades 2 is focusing on "Hey, y'know, the gods are kind of shiiiiiit" and I hope they pay that off in some interesting fashion. I doubt we'll attack and dethrone Zeus or anything but it's neat to see a more 'mortal' perspective on things.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I don't know any stories about how life was for mortals under Kronos, was that really described as a golden age?[/spoiler]

In actual Greek mythology, I'm pretty sure Kronos was deposed before the creation of humanity. That said, (is a spoiler for actual mythology appropriate here?) there was a golden age of immortality in the beginning thanks to Prometheus, and after casting him down the Olympians created Pandora to gently caress it all up for mankind as they were getting too threatening. There's enough room there for the writers to say this early age happened under Chronos.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

maybe the game just needs decorating the crossroads to be implemented, so Mel & Hec can needle each other about style and taste :v:

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I managed to crash the game in the last area by using the knives that home in on enemies in your cast with the upgrades that let you shoot knives all around you and causes them to split after hitting an enemy. I was shooting so many knives.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ciaphas posted:

my big thing is Melinoe & Hecate are just not as interesting, either on their own or when they interact, as Zagreus & Hades were

maybe in part it's nostalgia, or maybe because if i wanted to play a socially-awkward girl i'd be turning off my monitor, idk
I mean hades 1 had the final boss doing paperwork in front of you and insulting your furniture when you returned to base. You can't beat that, at some point you're holding it against hades 2 that hades 1 did some things really well.

But I do think Hecate is the least interesting character in game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the thing I'm most invested in Hades 2 is the way it's building a pretty large group of mortal/ex-mortal allies who were Explicitly hosed By the Gods Herc, Arachne, Echo, Narcissus, and Icarus are all people you run into and Dora is probably Pandora so add that in too. It genuinely feels like that is going to go somewhere and I'm interested where.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ciaphas posted:

maybe the game just needs decorating the crossroads to be implemented, so Mel & Hec can needle each other about style and taste :v:

Speaking of (final area spoilers) my favorite dialogue from Hades so far is when he asks Mel about how the house looks and mentions "[her] brother was basically in charge of the decor." Dad misses his blood fountains and hallway of skulls. :allears:

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Sydin posted:

Speaking of (final area spoilers) my favorite dialogue from Hades so far is when he asks Mel about how the house looks and mentions "[her] brother was basically in charge of the decor." Dad misses his blood fountains and hallway of skulls. :allears:

Just ran into it last run, and to quote :

"Urgh... you have your mother's candor to a fault. You ought have told me everything was fine! The comfort of lies at times is all we have."

your mother's candor? You're one to talk, Hades!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like there's going to be some kind of twist about Hecate, I don't trust her at all. Maybe she's not working against Mel per se, but I'd surprise if she didn't have her own agenda here.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

I feel like there's going to be some kind of twist about Hecate, I don't trust her at all. Maybe she's not working against Mel per se, but I'd surprise if she didn't have her own agenda here.

yeah there is too much vagueness about Hecate's motive, i imagine we'll learn things about her agenda that make her taking in Mel and shaping her entire life to be about killing Chronos seem.. less charitable

edit: vvv didn't know that but that's interesting, you may be right

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 17, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I think the twist about Hecate is that there is no twist even though she claims there's one based on her guilty conscience about the whole set of events. The final currently unlockable bond has her go on a two minute rant about how SHE'S USING YOU, DAMMIT, STOP BEING SO NICE ABOUT IT! To which Mel sort of sadly goes "nevertheless, I still learned a lot and really appreciate everything you did for me" before walking away.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I feel the opposite, actually. Hecate's deal seems to be that she's feeling extremely guilty for not being able to help the House of Hades more than rescuing 3 people and she's determined to make sure Chronos pays for it. Like otherwise she'd come off as massively manipulative because comparing her relationship to Zagreus/Hades she's 1000x times the parent he was.

There's absolutely gonna be something that does put things into context, given how runs end when Mel enters his brother's room, like how escaping Styx in the original Hades EA cut the ending short.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think over the course of raising her Hecate developed real affection for Melinoe despite herself. She had every intention of sculpting her into a perfect weapon, and did that, but kind of ended up becoming a mother in the process too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Clarste posted:

I'd like it if eventually she admits to sincerely wanting to stop you in area 1 for whatever reason. I'd rather have a real enemy than this make believe practice fight stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, she's supposed to have three faces and we've only really seen one of them, so regardless of the details there's more to her than we've seen. (Yes, I know she splits into three in the boss fight).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

To be honest I felt that way about Nyx in the first one and she turned out to be extremely chill.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I feel the opposite, actually. Hecate's deal seems to be that she's feeling extremely guilty for not being able to help the House of Hades more than rescuing 3 people and she's determined to make sure Chronos pays for it. Like otherwise she'd come off as massively manipulative because comparing her relationship to Zagreus/Hades she's 1000x times the parent he was.

There's absolutely gonna be something that does put things into context, given how runs end when Mel enters his brother's room, like how escaping Styx in the original Hades EA cut the ending short.

Well, like I said, whatever her hidden motives are don't necessarily involve hurting Mel. She can be a relatively good parent who also has some other plan up her sleeve (which Mel may or may not appreciate). Something to keep in mind is that she's not actually a servant of the House of Hades, nor does she owe them any loyalty. She's a titan who was more of a peer to Chronos, who decided to peacefully hand the reins over to Zeus and his brothers after she helped their rebellion. Some sources even call her "the one Zeus honors above all." So if, for example, she decided that the gods have failed in their duty to run the world, maybe she wants to get rid of Chronos to take his place, instead of returning things to the status quo. Just spitballing here; not saying that I think that specifically will happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if we'll see Prometheus as the 'safe room' person for the 3rd section.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if we'll see Prometheus as the 'safe room' person for the 3rd section.

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if he'll be the final boss up there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

That was my other thought to be honest.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

He wouldn't be the first ally to be mad at the gods. He could hate Chronos and the gods equally.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hellioning posted:

He wouldn't be the first ally to be mad at the gods. He could hate Chronos and the gods equally.

He could, but it's also hard to imagine him getting out of Tartarus without Chronos' help. And I could easily see his story of bringing fire to man getting folded into Chronos' whole Golden Age thing.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Hypnos being asleep is an obvious Chekhov’s Gun. My guess is he was witness to Chronos’ initial strike and something that happened there does not paint Hecate in a favorable light. When he wakes up we’re going to get some impactful exposition.

Tenebrais posted:

God, this would be awesome. I hope you’re right

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think there's also something murky going on with Charon? Mel is differential to him in a practically obsequious way, and she's always surprised when he turns up in weird spots.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly the thing I'm most invested in Hades 2 is the way it's building a pretty large group of mortal/ex-mortal allies who were Explicitly hosed By the Gods Herc, Arachne, Echo, Narcissus, and Icarus are all people you run into and Dora is probably Pandora so add that in too. It genuinely feels like that is going to go somewhere and I'm interested where.

agreed and id throw all the interesting witches in there too.

also while im not a huge fan of all the new characters Arachne is absolutely incredible. The voice actress is loving killing it. I don't ever need her armor anymore but i always show up to see what barely contained bitterness seeps out while we talk

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Isn't the joke with Charon that he's the "janitor with a PhD in quantum physics" type character who is vastly more powerful/smarter/etc than almost everyone else but doesn't take center stage for reasons unknown to the main characters? I feel like making a serious plot point of it would be kinda weird.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i like hecate a lot - her voice acting really adds a lot of depth to her whenever she breaks from the 'wise unflappable mentor' act. i was instantly charmed by her hide-and-seek game with baby melinoe, and i love the tension of her insisting she's not mel's mother despite having raised her from an infant. it's less explosive and snarky than the zag/hades relationship but there's a lot going on under the surface imo

also it's funny how much she loving hates eris

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AnonSpore posted:

Isn't the joke with Charon that he's the "janitor with a PhD in quantum physics" type character who is vastly more powerful/smarter/etc than almost everyone else but doesn't take center stage for reasons unknown to the main characters? I feel like making a serious plot point of it would be kinda weird.

It could well be! In general the tone of this one is less irreverent than the first, if only because Zag was way quippier than Mel is (and, you know, there's a war on) so what jokes there are read differently to me.

I mean there's also the obvious joke of him just saying 'Ooiuuuaagghhh' and Mel understanding it as a dissertation on current events.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
So it sounds like unless it's a deliberate red herring for the early access ending, the hook for what comes next is from a line of dialogue/description after a number of wins: Homer saying "Knowing the immortal Titan shall return, the dark Princess pursues an object that may be key to her predicament." then Mel saying "It should be in the Prince's chambers still..."

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
The game's been out for almost two weeks, we've had all this talk about new characters, old characters, character redesigns and yet nobody's brought up Bouldy's magnificent head of hair??

also, Chronos is obsessed with minting/hoarding coins because time is money :haw:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
It's funny how Nyx was pretty sweet and kind for a Cthonic god, while her kids vary from being insufferable to uptight. Moros I think is the only vaguely chill one.

Also, I'm trying to remember if the whole "Skelemis" persona was just Skelly messing with Zagreus. I like how he tries so hard to keep up the act but keeps popping back to his old self. Like how Dora can only muster the Spooky Ghost schtick when you salute her.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Red Mike posted:

So it sounds like unless it's a deliberate red herring for the early access ending, the hook for what comes next is from a line of dialogue/description after a number of wins: Homer saying "Knowing the immortal Titan shall return, the dark Princess pursues an object that may be key to her predicament." then Mel saying "It should be in the Prince's chambers still..."

It's gonna be the Beyonder Crystal! They're gonna have to beat Chronos... in the rites court!
(in or on? Me english's rusty)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

The only thing that wasn't clicking with me was a lack of emphasis on the obvious conflict between the two: Hecate has high expectations for Mel, and wholly believes Mel is capable of meeting them and is frustrated by Mel's lack of confidence. Zagreus and Hades were playing out their conflict in every run, with snarky jabs long before you fight him. Hecate by contrast you fight and beat early on, but it also feels like the conflict fizzles even before you beat Chronos for the first time. Maybe it's because the game isn't finished yet, maybe there's an EM version of Hecate that we get to beat in an, "Ok, you think I'm holding back? Fine, I'm 'going all out' this time," kind of scenario to help Mel get over her self-confidence issues, but it feels like that's the space that needs the most improvement.