Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Riven posted:

Rewatching the NoClip documentary about making Hades 1 and in the second episode they’re trying to make the Rail but the early version is absolutely the Torches. They couldn’t figure out the “moving while shooting” mechanism and it turns into the Rail eventually. It’s funny to see they revisited it and think they figured it out and it’s now the weapon that everyone thinks has the worst feel lol.

All I want is for target selection to reset on dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I just want to be able to start sprinting without having to dash first.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Give us back the Rail :evilbuddy:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Owl at Home posted:

Supergiant saw how much people liked encountering Thanatos randomly during runs in Hades 1 and said, "Let's do that again but with like 5 different people"

Ugh. I HATED running into Thanos outside of the House. Now I get to do it even more?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Kheldarn posted:

Ugh. I HATED running into Thanos outside of the House. Now I get to do it even more?

And instead of "extra heart if you win, nothing bad if you lose", you get mugged if you fail to keep up.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gun Jam posted:

And instead of "extra heart if you win, nothing bad if you lose", you get mugged if you fail to keep up.

First I find out the ruined fishing, now this. :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Getting hit by Nemesis is already its own reward.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In chronos phase 2 suddenly everything got extremely slow until I just kinda got whacked to death while he was walking full speed. Did I do something wrong or sometimes he just decides to do that

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

No Wave posted:

The only one that annoys me is hercules because his entrance and the music just have no chill. Plus unlike the others you get basically nothing out of it.

Also he doesn't even really help you as his huge swings stun you if you get caught in the arc. It's just like some annoying rando player in an MMO that barges in when you're trying to do a quest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

In chronos phase 2 suddenly everything got extremely slow until I just kinda got whacked to death while he was walking full speed. Did I do something wrong or sometimes he just decides to do that

You probably got hit by his exploding orbs which put you into the timestop state, or by one of the hourglass mobs.

Hercules is fine because it's a no-lose situation. You get money (sometimes a lot of money) no matter what you do plus an incredibly easy room.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

As much an rear end in a top hat he is*, you get to keep the gold you loot and deciding to let him carry the room is mostly consequence-free. (is the timer stopped?)

*understandable if you know anything about his myths, still an rear end

E: speaking of, did they deliberately program Nemesis to prioritize killstealing? Because it feels they programmed her to prioritize killstealing and hats off to Supergiant to it.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Did I do something wrong or sometimes he just decides to do that
sounds like you stepped in one of the time spheres that look like hourglass sand which will suspend you

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Herc event gives you so little gold it is effectively nothing. If they 4x'd the gold at stake I'd care more about the mechanic.

Omobono posted:

As much an rear end in a top hat he is*, you get to keep the gold you loot and deciding to let him carry the room is mostly consequence-free. (is the timer stopped?)

E: speaking of, did they deliberately program Nemesis to prioritize killstealing? Because it feels they programmed her to prioritize killstealing and hats off to Supergiant to it.
I think the timer stops for all the "helper" events, so they tend to all be very good to run into when you've got a timer on.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 17, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Every time I see Nemesis outside of the Crossroads I'm rolling my eyes. I get that they wanted to add some friction to the Than events but Nemesis is a killstealing shitter who takes your gold if you don't happen to have a good build for the particular type of wave that hits when she appears. On top of this she also steals doors and shop items from you, which once you've figured it out stops becoming an interesting mechanic and instead becomes "oh Nemesis is here, gotta run up really quick and pause to make sure I know what I want and then grab it first" which is just adding busywork rather than interesting gameplay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like the Nemesis competition stuff a lot. It encourages you to think about how to approach fights for maximizing your kills and Nemesis is pretty heavily designed to make bad targeting choices so even with a weak build you can beat her if you target right.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nemesis should not be able to steal hammer rooms, it's already so loving hard to get a relevant hammer sometimes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Theyve made us hate nemesis a little too much methinks...

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I still haven't ever encountered Eris outside the Crossroads or her boss battle. If you progressed in the game too slowly does it just never happen at all?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

No Wave posted:

Theyve made us hate nemesis a little too much methinks...

I quite like the character, I just think the mechanics of her mid-run appearances suck rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

eke out posted:

nemesis should not be able to steal hammer rooms, it's already so loving hard to get a relevant hammer sometimes

If you don't get a hammer the first time it will try its hardest to spawn in upcoming rooms.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Chronos P2 can turn on his own equivalent of the moon hex that slows enemies down, you'll see it as a sepia filter on the screen for like 5 seconds or so. Your dash invul is lengthened along with the rest of your animations so you should be able to just dodge through everything until it wears off.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Omobono posted:

I liked his reaction when he meets you when you have Hera's boon.

Herc is an rear end in a top hat who has reasons for his behavior, Nem is just an rear end in a top hat.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Give us back the Rail :evilbuddy:

Let me beat up Eris and take it from her.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Owl at Home posted:

I still haven't ever encountered Eris outside the Crossroads or her boss battle. If you progressed in the game too slowly does it just never happen at all?

Yes. She's only there to slow you down if you're getting ahead of the story. After the tenth run or so she won't do that any more.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nemesis is completely right that Hecate demanding she guard a place where intrusion is completely impossible is really dumb, to be fair to her.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I honestly haven't had any problems with Nemesis. At most, I've tied her, and as soon as I realized she can steal doors/items I've gotten very good at rushing at them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Funky Valentine posted:

Nemesis is completely right that Hecate demanding she guard a place where intrusion is completely impossible is really dumb, to be fair to her.
Could be reading too much into it but I think an interesting interpretation of why Hecate won't let Nemesis go after Chronus is that she knows Nem's heart would never really be in it (or that she might even flip sides) because she's the god of vengeance but isn't fully bought in on the idea that Chronus deserves death for his actions. Once you have a decent number of hearts with Nemesis she can have a conversation with Mel where she flat out says things were better for mortals back in Chronus' golden age than they were under the arbitrary rule of the Olympians, and that maybe what Chronus is doing is in fact the appropriate vengeance the gods deserve for what they did first to their parents, then mortals.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sydin posted:

Could be reading too much into it but I think an interesting interpretation of why Hecate won't let Nemesis go after Chronus is that she knows Nem's heart would never really be in it (or that she might even flip sides) because she's the god of vengeance but isn't fully bought in on the idea that Chronus deserves death for his actions. Once you have a decent number of hearts with Nemesis she can have a conversation with Mel where she flat out says things were better for mortals back in Chronus' golden age than they were under the arbitrary rule of the Olympians, and that maybe what Chronus is doing is in fact the appropriate vengeance the gods deserve for what they did first to their parents, then mortals.

And she might have a point, Demeter just deciding to plunge the world into endless winter because she blamed mortals for her daughter's disappearance certainly doesn't paint the gods in the best light. And Zeus not clearing up the issue shows he doesn't care about mortals, either. I don't know any stories about how life was for mortals under Kronos, was that really described as a golden age?

Of course, game-Chronos isn't doing himself any favors by all the poo poo he pulls. Mortal existence obviously sucks a lot more right now than before Chronos' return, in large part because of decisions Chronos made.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm replaying Hades 1 on a fresh save since I don't wanna get into Hades 2 until it's at least further along in EA. I had forgotten how insanely obnoxious and frankly unfun it is dealing with Elysium trash enemies, particularly the weapon champions. Does Hades 2 have any areas / enemy packs like this?

The champions would've been much more enjoyable to deal with if they spawned like 1-2 at a time in a wave along with the supporting enemies instead of 4-6 all with the same weapon.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 17, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Also all of Eris' attacks can be easily avoided by staying very close and going around/through her because she turns so slow, it's kind of counterintuitive but you absolutely want to avoid range and stay on top of her

Thank you for this tip. I slogged through 2 failed attempts keeping my distance and then just absolutely thrashed her by staying close to her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm replaying Hades 1 on a fresh save since I don't wanna get into Hades 2 until it's at least further along in EA. I had forgotten how insanely obnoxious and frankly unfun it is dealing with Elysium trash enemies, particularly the weapon champions. Does Hades 2 have any areas / enemy packs like this?

I genuinely don't think so as of yet.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Torrannor posted:

I liked his reaction when he meets you when you have Hera's boon.

Herc is an rear end in a top hat who has reasons for his behavior, Nem is just an rear end in a top hat.

Nemesis is an rear end in a top hat because she's retribution incarnate, meaning she can only punish her targets after they commit whatever atrocity deserves retribution and not before. She's perennially late, she knows it and she hates it.
The Olympians being off-limits is probably subtly demoralizing too.

Also what Sydin said; although for those unaware of Greek mythology, Chronos literally ate his children; Zeus rebelling was 99% 'gently caress you dad I don't wanna be eaten' and he had to actually cut out Hestia, Hera, Hades, Poseidon and Demeter* from Chronos' stomach.

*Hestia, Demeter and Hera are not related by blood to Zeus, Poseidon and Hades in the game but they are in the myths

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

The champions would've been much more enjoyable to deal with if they spawned like 1-2 at a time in a wave along with the supporting enemies instead of 4-6 all with the same weapon.
Nope, hades 2 doesnt have an elysium equivalent (and its act 4 area is so much better than styx on top of it). I was reminded of how stale elysium gets when I did my first h1 run in years a few days ago (i do like elysium ost a lot tho).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omobono posted:

Nemesis is an rear end in a top hat because she's retribution incarnate, meaning she can only punish her targets after they commit whatever atrocity deserves retribution and not before. She's perennially late, she knows it and she hates it.
The Olympians being off-limits is probably subtly demoralizing too.

Also what Sydin said; although for those unaware of Greek mythology, Chronos literally ate his children; Zeus rebelling was 99% 'gently caress you dad I don't wanna be eaten' and he had to actually cut out Hestia, Hera, Hades, Poseidon and Demeter* from Chronos' stomach.

*Hestia, Demeter and Hera are not related by blood to Zeus, Poseidon and Hades in the game but they are in the myths

Cronus doesn't get to complain after what he did to his dad.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

ImpAtom posted:

Cronus doesn't get to complain after what he did to his dad.

That scythe is why they’re sending a girl to kill him

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Torrannor posted:

And she might have a point, Demeter just deciding to plunge the world into endless winter because she blamed mortals for her daughter's disappearance certainly doesn't paint the gods in the best light. And Zeus not clearing up the issue shows he doesn't care about mortals, either. I don't know any stories about how life was for mortals under Kronos, was that really described as a golden age?

Of course, game-Chronos isn't doing himself any favors by all the poo poo he pulls. Mortal existence obviously sucks a lot more right now than before Chronos' return, in large part because of decisions Chronos made.

It is but there's a big asterisk here: there's no mortal around to give their perspective on what the 'Golden Age' was. Every character talking about it is an unreliable narrator. Chronos obviously thinks it was great, his enemies think it was terrible, but there's no third-party around to say it was alright/terrible/what are you talking about.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Thank you for this tip. I slogged through 2 failed attempts keeping my distance and then just absolutely thrashed her by staying close to her.

At this point I think the changing camera distance is also loving with me because I have a hard time staying on top of her and not careening in the wrong direction into fire, getting stuck on the pillars, etc. Any tips from someone else who's had to deal with the same issue? Should I stop taking anything that makes me go faster? Should I give up on sprinting?

Side note: This is not the only place that has camera issues. Often I find myself getting stuck on the wrong end of the boat and I have to guess how to navigate down to the wheel without stumbling into fire.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Zeus has a one-off line saying the Golden Age sucked because everyone was stuck in an eternal timelessness, unable to meaningfully change or grow, but then again I suppose he's the one with the most to gain by presenting it that way, hmm? It does kind of fit with Chronos' MO though, including how most of his current troops are unable to truly die because he's kept them stopped just at the moment of their death.

I keep looking for a pun in the name of Chronos' scythe Hrodreptus related to its original mythological function, but alas, anything I'm getting is a bit of a stretch.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 17, 2024

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The one Olympian I'm sad the most about missing is Athena, I always liked her as a character and boon giver.

I guess Hestia's sprint is the most similar to divine dash. It makes you immune to most projectiles, and "reflects" damage back to their casters. But it's not quite the same. Divine dash allowed for sloppy gameplay in a way Hestia's sprint most certainly doesn't.

I think I understand why they took out the much greater protection Athena's boons offered, since you could just drop damaging casts forever while hiding behind the i-frames granted by Athena's boons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I feel like they should tweak some of the random boon stuff.

Like with the concave stone, if you have 2 boons that are either harmful or you don’t want to pick because you want a different boon for that slot it becomes kinda dangerous. Same with echo, you can get one of the ones that chooses a boon to remove, which might gently caress you over.

Maybe they can just give you a choice for those. You can pick one of three random boons, or for the stone it just lets you pick either the two others you had a choice of, or a third new boon.