Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mintymenman posted:

Life ala Henri by Henri Charpentier and The Apprentice by Jacques Pepin give a really great view of the French kitchen through the entire 20th century. Both are autobiographies, with all that entails. There's also White's memoir The Devil in the Kitchen which is also a great read. For more contemporary, Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton and Notes from a Young Black Chef by Kwame Onwuachi.

I wouldn't put Gabrielle Hamilton in the same category as White or Ramsey in terms of rear end in a top hat chef, but admittedly it's been awhile since I read her book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've been making homemade sandwich loafs for months now, it's really good. Helps me limit my sodium intake. Whilst grocery shopping today, I was looking for deli meats to make sandwiches with throughout the week. I had to turn away all the choices are the sodium content is ridiculous, one brand had 400mg per slice which is just wild, and would mean I couldn't use any cheese or condiments if I wanted to keep the sandwich reasonable.

I've opted to make my own chicken slices, so I've got some boneless breast and thighs marinating in garlic, ginger and onion slices with some apple cider vinegar and oil. I plan on using a george foreman grill to cook them and then I'll cut them into slices to use as sandwich filler. Will the breast and thighs go nicely together, or should I cook them differently? The george foreman has done a decent job for me cooking breasts nicely, but I don't know if thighs need a bit longer to turn out tender.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

I wouldn't put Gabrielle Hamilton in the same category as White or Ramsey in terms of rear end in a top hat chef, but admittedly it's been awhile since I read her book

Any somewhat realistic portrayal of professional kitchen workers will have the general rear end in a top hat vibe even if the author isn't a yelling megadickhead

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thighs will need more time or you'll have some very connective tissuefull bites

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Qubee posted:

I've been making homemade sandwich loafs for months now, it's really good. Helps me limit my sodium intake. Whilst grocery shopping today, I was looking for deli meats to make sandwiches with throughout the week. I had to turn away all the choices are the sodium content is ridiculous, one brand had 400mg per slice which is just wild, and would mean I couldn't use any cheese or condiments if I wanted to keep the sandwich reasonable.

I've opted to make my own chicken slices, so I've got some boneless breast and thighs marinating in garlic, ginger and onion slices with some apple cider vinegar and oil. I plan on using a george foreman grill to cook them and then I'll cut them into slices to use as sandwich filler. Will the breast and thighs go nicely together, or should I cook them differently? The george foreman has done a decent job for me cooking breasts nicely, but I don't know if thighs need a bit longer to turn out tender.

Yeah, youll want to cook the thighs longer. Anything over 160f for breasts gets super dry, but thighs are actually best (IMO) a over 180.

re: Sodium content, Im sure youve done way more research than I have, but Im curious if you have played around with 50/50 Potassium Chloride/Salt as a way of reducing sodium?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

Yeah, youll want to cook the thighs longer. Anything over 160f for breasts gets super dry, but thighs are actually best (IMO) a over 180.

re: Sodium content, Im sure youve done way more research than I have, but Im curious if you have played around with 50/50 Potassium Chloride/Salt as a way of reducing sodium?

50/50 is the main type I use in most of my cooking. I keep sea salt flakes on hand for when I feel a little adventurous and want to revisit my decadent old ways (salt sprinkled tomato slices on toast, oof). Honestly speaking though, reducing salt intake has been a net positive with a marginal impact on flavour. It's made me avoid heavily processed foods mainly, since those are the worst culprits. But I'm finding that everything else is just as delicious with a fraction of the salt compared to what I used to liberally use. I've also really adapted to the lower salt, so things that were previously regularly salted are now almost unpleasant to eat from a saltiness perspective. I used to cook a batch of rice and throw in a tsp of salt, and I'd consume that rice in one meal. My goodness.

Unrelated, I spent big bucks on lamb leg. They're rather hefty cuts on the bone. I've thrown em into the pressure cooker and I just checked at the 45 minute mark, still very much tough. I remember a poster here saying it's almost impossible to dry out meat via braising, so I'm hoping this holds true. Would suck to end up with a dish of very expensive shoe leather. I've decided 2 hours seems like a reasonable cook time at high pressure, and we're 45 minutes down.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 18, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If youre slicing your own meat for sandwiches, try to use a sous vide if you have one or have access to one. I really like thin slicing sous vide, turkey or chicken breast for sandwiches or whatever and it almost always comes out great.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I had forgotten how drat good chicken thigh can be, I haven't had it in years. Threw a few sliced up into the sandwich and it was great. The fat has basically all rendered out and it's so tender, but I'm apprehensive that refrigeration will turn it chewy and gross.

The lamb turned out absolutely perfect after what I believe was 2 hours. It was fall off the bone tender.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Thanks for the literary recommendations. Some names I've never heard before. Currently I'm reading Carme's French Cookery, and there's this recipe for basic stock that requires pre-boiling the vegetables and then cooling them off in cold water, before doing anything with it. Why?

e: oh wait it's to reduce the flavor. ok hmm

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Qubee posted:

Unrelated, I spent big bucks on lamb leg. They're rather hefty cuts on the bone. I've thrown em into the pressure cooker and I just checked at the 45 minute mark, still very much tough. I remember a poster here saying it's almost impossible to dry out meat via braising, so I'm hoping this holds true. Would suck to end up with a dish of very expensive shoe leather. I've decided 2 hours seems like a reasonable cook time at high pressure, and we're 45 minutes down.

What size of pressure cooker do you have that you can get a leg of lamb in it?

I must get some lamb shoulder, I love a bit of lamb shoulder.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Just discovered my grocery store has sprats. Any ideas on how to eat them aside from toast olive oil/tomato sauce/cream cheese, etc.?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I just got 5lbs of arugula. Can I use this like a spinach in soup?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'm jealous! You could probably use it in a soup. It makes a really nice pesto if you also have 5lbs of hard cheese, a gallon of evoo and 5lbs of nuts.

mystes
May 31, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

I'm jealous! You could probably use it in a soup. It makes a really nice pesto if you also have 5lbs of hard cheese, a gallon of evoo and 5lbs of nuts.
Get together with that person on tiktok who got a wheel of mispriced parmigiano reggiano for like $5 or whatever it was

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You can use it for saag too but cut it with something less bitter like 3:1.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any good resources for reviewing/researching induction ranges? As part of an electrical service upgrade we're having an outlet for an electric range installed, and the induction range is the next item on the list.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DildenAnders posted:

Just discovered my grocery store has sprats. Any ideas on how to eat them aside from toast olive oil/tomato sauce/cream cheese, etc.?

Like, smoked Volga sprats? Just eat them. Use bread to sop up the oil. Heaven.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thai basil tips? I grow a lot of European basil and use it in many dishes. This year I bought a Thai basil plant for my garden.

It doesn't smell European basil at all. It has a really strong anise/licorice scent. Should it smell similar to European basil? Is there a particular way to use it? Or can I sub the two basils for a slightly different flavor?

EDIT: I should add that I know almost nothing about Southeast Asian cuisine. I enjoy pad thai and a good banh mi sandwich, but that's the extent of it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Unsurprisingly, Thai basil is great in Thai cuisine, so get learning. The flavours are balanced around the cuisine, pesto made with Thai basil would be weird and the sweeter flavours of Italian basil would get a bit lost in Thai curries. Which are a good place to start.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bagheera posted:

Thai basil tips? I grow a lot of European basil and use it in many dishes. This year I bought a Thai basil plant for my garden.

It doesn't smell European basil at all. It has a really strong anise/licorice scent. Should it smell similar to European basil? Is there a particular way to use it? Or can I sub the two basils for a slightly different flavor?

EDIT: I should add that I know almost nothing about Southeast Asian cuisine. I enjoy pad thai and a good banh mi sandwich, but that's the extent of it.

Treasure that Thai basil, it's a lot tougher than European basil ( in my experience growing it in Ireland)
Make gai pad krapow.
It's super easy, it's delicious, and it make the thai basil the central focus of the flavor.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bagheera posted:

When it puts out flowering shoots (you'll recognize them, they look nothing like the leaves), pinch them off. Otherwise the plant puts all its energy into setting seed, rather than into the leaves. Some people say that basil in flower tastes different than basil without flowers, but I've never done a taste test.

e: Thai basil flowers

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When it puts out flowering shoots (you'll recognize them, they look nothing like the leaves), pinch them off. Otherwise the plant puts all its energy into setting seed, rather than into the leaves. Some people say that basil in flower tastes different than basil without flowers, but I've never done a taste test.

Once the plant is "bolting", it shifts is energy production into flower and seed mode. Its not trying to grow new leafs/stems. The changes in production seems to makes the plant more bitter. I don't personally mind the taste shift, but it doesn't taste entirely the same.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How do the flowers taste? Basil is great and they look like food.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Pookah posted:

Treasure that Thai basil, it's a lot tougher than European basil ( in my experience growing it in Ireland)
Make gai pad krapow.
It's super easy, it's delicious, and it make the thai basil the central focus of the flavor.
Basil chicken is pretty good regardless of what kind of basil you use in it, but, confusingly, what's called Thai basil in the West is not what's most commonly used in Thai cooking (it's more common in Vietnamese cooking). Specifically the kaphrao in basil chicken's Thai name is holy basil, O. tenuiflorum, not "Thai" basil, which is most commonly O. basilicum v. thyrsiflora.

Thai basil is the stuff that smells of licorice, and has small, smooth, pointy leaves (kinda like mint leaves). Holy basil has larger, slightly fuzzy, rounder leaves and a spicy, slightly peppery smell.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thai basil and holy basil are great. Use them to make Pad Kra Pao. It's wonderful and easy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Desert Bus posted:

How do the flowers taste? Basil is great and they look like food.

You can put them in vinegar and make a very pretty thing you can turn into salad dressing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Internet Explorer posted:

Thai basil and holy basil are great. Use them to make Pad Kra Pao. It's wonderful and easy.

Are these not the same thing? I thought they were the same thing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

guppy posted:

Are these not the same thing? I thought they were the same thing.
The plant called "Thai basil" in the West is usually O. basilicum v. thyrsiflora. It's the stuff that smells like licorice. Despite the name, it is not the most common kind of basil used in Thai cooking.

"Holy basil" is O. tenuiflorum. It's the plant called kaphrao in Thai, and is the one most commonly used in Thai cooking.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Having recently read a disquisition on pad ka prow, apparently if you can't get ahold of holy basil you should use the western variety, as Thai basil tastes radically different from both of them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Huh, I had no idea. Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thai basil flowers taste p good if small, too big and they get a bit woody.

Nthing the other suggestions above but also consider just making a thai curry with summer veggies.

you can buy a tin of coconut milk and of green or red curry paste (maesri is a decent brand imo) and saut up onion, red pepper, sliced summer squash, green beans, eggplant, ginger and garlic and if you want either tofu or another protein, which is completely optional. You can add in the Thai basil right at the end of cooking in pretty large quantity and serve it over rice.

Using a little sugar, lime juice and fish sauce during cooking elevates it a lot. Functionally its a very easy meal to cook. Just requires chopping up a lot of veggies for the most part and heating things up in the right order.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone got a go-to sandwich bread recipe? I've tried a bunch online but they just aren't turning out right.

I could also use some advice with kneading time in a kitchenaid mixer. Kitchenaid says not to go above 5 minutes, but following this advice leads to dough that just refuses to rise as the gluten development isn't enough. I've started kneading for 10 minutes and I get a great rise out of the bread and it's more cohesive. I watched a video online that said it's basically impossible to overknead bread or there is minimal impact on the quality of the finished good from overkneading :shrug:

Only bread I can make that turns out great every time is dutch oven artisan bread. But I really want sandwich bread to make delicious sandwiches for work.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I was going to recommend a shokupan recipe I found on a blog called Dreams Of Dashi, but it's disappeared.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A lot of "Don't do X" in a KA can't really be trusted unless you know if it was written for the pro or artisan series. The latter has a less beefy motor and for a while had (have?) nylon gears. They, at equivalent setting, had a higher speed to make up for the lesser watts. So a kneed at 5 mins and no longer at 3 on the artisan could be 15 mins at 3 on the pro.

Tldr do what you need to do to get the dough kneaded.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Torquemada posted:

I was going to recommend a shokupan recipe I found on a blog called Dreams Of Dashi, but it's disappeared.

This is the sandwich bread of my dreams. I'll look for something online and give it a whirl.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

A lot of "Don't do X" in a KA can't really be trusted unless you know if it was written for the pro or artisan series. The latter has a less beefy motor and for a while had (have?) nylon gears. They, at equivalent setting, had a higher speed to make up for the lesser watts. So a kneed at 5 mins and no longer at 3 on the artisan could be 15 mins at 3 on the pro.

Tldr do what you need to do to get the dough kneaded.

Okay good, I was following the kneading advice as if it were the gospel and ending up with underkneaded bread with no gluten development.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

in my kitchenaid pro a normal amount of kneading for enriched doughs with added fat/eggs is about 10 minutes. lean doughs are usually a little quicker unless they're high hydration

also: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/japanese-milk-bread-recipe

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 22, 2024

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Qubee posted:

Anyone got a go-to sandwich bread recipe? I've tried a bunch online but they just aren't turning out right.
The sandwich bread I make most regularly is based on the "Toast Bread" recipe from Hammelman's Bread. I think I scaled/tweaked the quantities to work in a bigger loaf pan than the original recipe.
  • 1.25 pounds bread flour (I use King Arthur)
  • 13 fl. oz water @ ~120 F
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp malt powder
  • 1 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 3/4 tsp yeast (I use SAF red)
I use an older KitchenAid 600 stand mixer for the kneading.
  • ~3 minutes @ first speed, until the dough has fully come together
  • ~3 minutes @ second speed, until the dough goes from shaggy to smooth
  • Bulk ferment ~2 hours, with a fold at the halfway point (I just do a flying letter fold, but anything should work)
  • Shape (rest until the dough relaxes a bit, stretch long, roll up, tuck in ends, place in pan. I use a silicone pan liner to make it easier to extract the baked loaf)
  • Final ferment ~1.5 hours
  • Bake @430 ~30 minutes
  • Rest 5 minutes before removing from pan
You can kinda thump the bottom of the loaf with your knuckles. It should give a sorta muted thump, like you're tapping on something hollow. If it doesn't you can put it back in the pan and back in the oven for a couple more minutes.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My office's managing partner has a farm and he dropped off farm-fresh eggs and jars of honey for us to take home. He said the eggs will keep on the countertop for a month, but to wash them before cracking.

I just googled how to wash eggs as I've never done that before, and the first few results had conflicting info. What's the goon consensus on washing farm-fresh eggs?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My office's managing partner has a farm and he dropped off farm-fresh eggs and jars of honey for us to take home. He said the eggs will keep on the countertop for a month, but to wash them before cracking.

I just googled how to wash eggs as I've never done that before, and the first few results had conflicting info. What's the goon consensus on washing farm-fresh eggs?

Lazy and probably not recommended mode but hell i do it sometimes: rub with fingers or rag under running water

More legit: rub with vinegary cloth or dip in vinegar bowl, rinse with rub under running water

xXxtreme: buy special egg washing liquid, which might make sense if you have your own chickens, but not if it's occasional

plenty of backyard chicken keepers don't even bother as long as they're visually clean and are going to be fully cooked, but I always at least do a rub+rinse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
So the good news, the spratz on rye with cream cheese, tomato, dill and black pepper were delicious.
Now how do I get the smoked fish aroma off of my hands/beard?