Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Zurui posted:

what's left of Group D Orders

Mortar: Direct fire at the AO team in the bell tower.
Nebelwerfer: Fire on the Scout team that just killed my Sniper team.

I'm doing my best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If y'all want to try and finish out the game, I'm down. We only got orders for this turn plus one more to go!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Round 6 Group Charlie

The MMG will fir on the infatry in the building.

The officer and veterans will Run into a close assault on the infantry in the building like so,

With a tank coming up behind us we're kinda out of options.

Lionmousevictory
Jun 7, 2020
Official Orders Group B
Fire at Soviets inside building.

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

I think group E needs to rally

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

TURN 6 RESULTS

Penultimate turn.

First Draw - Soviet Force Charlie
The Soviet vets assault the mortar. The last mortarman, resigned to his death, is beaten to death with the butts of a dozen PPSHs. The vets take the spot of the mortar team with a nice view of an 88mm gun.

Meanwhile the Medic team RUNS into the building near Charlie. The Officer goes DOWN, and the Inexperienced Squad goes into AMBUSH.

Second Draw - German Group A
The Panzer III ADVANCES to the crossroads. It fires an AT shell at the Armored Car, but misses. It's hull MG shoots at the Inexperienced Squad, killing one and adding a pin.

Meanwhile the Officer's assistant shoots at the Medic squad with his MP-40, but the distance and cover for the building prevent any hits.

The halftrack ADVANCES and shoots at the Scout Squad, but fails to get any hits.

The Panzergrenadiers RUN southeast, triggering the AMBUSH of the Inexperienced Squad. However, the ill-trained soldiers, firing at long range and with intervening terrain, fail to score any hits.

The high number of walls prevent the Panzergrenadiers from advancing past the boundaries of the farm this turn.

Third Draw - Soviet Force Echo
The Armored Car returns fire on the Panzer III, scoring a direct hit. The round punches into the tank, and soon smoke and flames pour from it. The Panzer III has been knocked out.

Next the hull LMG on the Armored Car cuts down a Panzergrenadier at the wall.

Meanwhile, the Scout Squad runs to try and assault the Nebelwerfer, but the distance is just too long. Instead, they end up staring at the shellshocked crew from only feet away.

Fourth Draw - German Group C
The MMG opens up on the Soviets in the building. At such short range it is hard to miss, and the belt of MG fire drops two of the Soviet riflemen.

The veteran squad, unable to assault due to the intervening fence, instead advance into the courtyard, contesting the objective and firing into the house. Their combined rifle, SMG, and LMG fire kill two more Soviets.

Firing the Officer and his assistant hop over the fence and with a well-aimed burst of SMG fire, fell another Soviet soldier. Only four men remain in the squad, with five pins.

Fifth Draw - Soviet Tank Force
The T-34 fires a HE shell at the MMG building, but somehow misses. The hull MG strafes the veterans in the courtyard, killing one and adding a pin.

Sixth Draw - German Group B
The rump of the Panzergrenadier pass an order test, lowering their pins to one, and fire into the Meeting Hall, but fail to score any hits.

'
Seventh Draw - German Group D

The Nebelwerfer team try and turn their gun to fire an extremely dangerous close-range barrage at the Scout team, but fail to pass an order test and go DOWN.

Eighth Draw - Soviet Force Delta

With the coordinates of the Nebelwerfer zeroed in the Heavy Mortar fires another round, but one of the crew accidently bumps the mortar tube as it fires, and the round goes wide. Needed anything but a 1 here...

Ninth Draw - Soviet Force Alpha

The survivors of the LMG team try to fire back, but their five pins prevent them from passing the Order check. They go DOWN.

---
At this point there were two groups, one on each team, that had not received orders yet. Not wanting to leave such a large portion of each army inactive this turn, and considering the weird circumstances I looked for a neutral way to give orders to these two groups. My solution was to ask my wife to decide on orders for German Group E and Soviet Force Bravo. Since she hasn't been following the game, or really gives a poo poo about Bolt Action, I felt she was a fair neutral party.
---

Tenth Draw - German Group E
The 88mm tries to fire on the encroaching Soviets, but fails its Order Test and goes DOWN.

The Motorcycle team, however, kicked themselves into action, losing a pin and ADVANCING close to the enemy Vets. Using point-blank MG fire they gun down two Soviet vets and put a pin on the enemy squad. The halftrack moved out of the way to allow the Motorcycle to pass.

Eleventh Draw - Soviet Force Bravo
The FAO in the belltower shoot at the Motorcycle, putting a pin on it, but not doing any damage. The Vets meanwhile again shot at the Panzergrenadiers, felling two. The surviving NCO, however, refuses to rout and stays on the field.

The AT gun fires at the Germans in the courtyard at Alpha, but misses.
---

All Other Units
One German unit remains in reserve this turn.

MAP OVERVIEW - END OF TURN 3
Objective Alpha

Objective Bravo

Objective Charlie

Objective Delta

Objective Echo

Rosters:

GERMAN TEAM
Greggster-Group A) - Objective Echo
Panzergren. Reg. x10 - 2 KIA
Sdkfz 251 Halftrack
Captain
Panzer III - KIA

Lionmousevictory -Group B) - South of Objective Alpha
Panzergren. Reg. x10 - 9 KIA
Sdkfz 251 Halftrack - KIA
Panzer IV - KIA

mllaneza-Group C) - South of Alpha
Panzergren. Vet x9 - 1 KIA
Lt.
Kubelwagon (In Reserve)
Medium Machine Gun

Zurui-Group D) - South of Objective Charlie
Panzergren. Vet x9 - KIA
Mortar - KIA
Nebelwerfer - 2 KIA
Sniper Team - KIA

Hipster Rooster-Group E) - South of Objective Alpha/Bravo
Sdkfz 7
88mm
Motorcycle

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

:siren:

OK guys, last turn and we're on an unknown clock here in case poo poo goes haywire with the forum. For this last turn I am allowing any German player to post temporary orders for any other players units. If someone posts temporary orders for your units and then you turn in orders as well, yours will take precedence. I just want to get the orders in ASAP so we can have closure on this game in case the worst happens.

Right now you control Echo. The Soviets control Bravo & Delta. Alpha is contested, and Charlie is unclaimed. There is definitely still a way to pull a win out here in the last turn if you play your cards right. Also, dont forget you still have kubelwagen with an MMG in reserve that can come in anywhere from the Southern table edge.

:siren:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I should asked about an MG on the verdamt Kubelwagon.

Can I ask for a better indication of the T-34's position ? Pics from S, W, and E with it centered would be a huge help.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The T-34 hasn't moved since last turn.

\

If you're looking for somewhere to bring in the Kubelwagen the only two spots without fencing in the way are where your other guys came in (basically right behind the T-34), or on the road up by the 88mm.

---

:siren: German team, final orders due in 24 hours! :siren:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Final Orders Group Charlie

The infantry assault the LMG squad in the building, supported by the officer, assistant, and copious amounts of MG fire.

The Kubelwagon bolts in past the 88 to spray the church with MG fire in hopes of assisting the futile last charge incoming from the panzergrenadiers.

Failing other orders:

the Panzergrenadiers of Baker will assault the church at a Run

Echo will Rally

group A's Panzergrenadiers will charge Delta at a Run, trying to put someone close enough to contest the objective. Yes, they're doomed but that's what hard turn limits do.
The halftrack can advance directly on the scout squad to get its best shot at them.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

My mortar crew will attempt to fire at the church one last time.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Zurui posted:

My mortar crew will attempt to fire at the church one last time.

Your mortar team is, sadly, dead as disco. The Nebelwerfer is still alive though!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hehe, that's what I meant. It says "treat as a heavy mortar" in the rules, I'm gonna use that as my excuse.

By the way, this has been a blast and I hope you run another one some time!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Zurui posted:

Hehe, that's what I meant. It says "treat as a heavy mortar" in the rules, I'm gonna use that as my excuse.

By the way, this has been a blast and I hope you run another one some time!

Thanks! I'll do an interest check on another game once this one wraps up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

Thanks! I'll do an interest check on another game once this one wraps up.

Mark me down right now !

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

SdfKz (Orange)

Will advance to the position and fire at the soviet squad standing before it.

Captain (Yellow)

Will Run as far as their german legs can take them, even if it means taking them to the middle of the road. May their shining valour strike fear into the bolshevik scum that hides like the dogs they are behind walls of stone!

Panzer Grenadiers (Green)

Will valiantly Run across the road and with much courage flip off the armoured car as they run past it, knowing that they have God on their side and that it is of utmost importance to provide numerical advantage against the soviet horde that awaits them.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Just wanted to drop this in since distances can be kind of hard to judge from pictures. With all the fences in the way there is no chance of any German unit getting close enough to Delta to contest it in one turn.

I would recommend bending your efforts towards a different objective.

Lionmousevictory
Jun 7, 2020
Death or Glory!
Official Orders Group B:
Get Sole survivor as close to Bravo as possible.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

THE GAME IS NOW OVER

Please report back to the spectator thread for the final turn, debriefing, and cocktails.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

MISSION 2 BRIEFING

Welcome back Commanders. Your target is Stalingrad's Central Rail Station.

As you can see from these recon photos, the area has been heavily bombed by the Luftwaffe.

A number of trains along with their half-loaded cargo were also abandoned at the station when the bombing started.

The mission area is smaller than Spartanovka, but the large buildings of this area will be difficult to pry away from the enemy without significant loss.

---

OBJECTIVES:
The Rail Station itself is your primary objective. It consists of two inter-connected buildings. Control over each building is worth 2 VPs each. In this scenario, whichever team has more models within an objective building has control of that objective.

You will also earn 1 VP for each enemy unit destroyed. The team with the most VPs after 6 turns is the winner. A 7th turn will be played if both teams have forces inside the rail station at the end of turn 6.

---

CHOOSE YOUR FORCE
I didn't take pictures of every unit this time because it's super time-consuming and most of the units you have seen before. You will need to choose between the options below.

To streamline things, rather than divvying up the various units, I'd like you choose one of these pre-grouped sets of units to command.

Default Force - This is the foundation of your force that you will build upon.
HQ - 1st Lieutenant & assistant armed with SMG’s (2 infantry - Regulars)
Medium Machine Gun (3 man crew - Regulars)
Infantry Squad - With one SMG and one LMG (10 infantry - Regulars)

Pioniers - Choose one of the two options:
Option A: Mechanized Pioniers
Pionier Squad - With 5 SMGs and 1 Flamethrower (10 infantry - Veterans)
251/7 Halftrack with Panzerbuchse 41 squeezebore AT gun - Lightly armored, can transport 12 men or tow all but the heaviest guns (1 halftrack - Regular)

Option B: Pionier Infantry
Pionier Squad - With 4 SMGs and 1 Flamethrower (9 infantry - Veterans)
Pionier Squad - With 4 SMGs and 1 Flamethrower (9 infantry - Veterans)

Artillery - Choose one of two options:
Option C: Big Guns
Medium Howitzer - Comes with spotter. Can fire over open-sights or indirectly (5 man crew - Regular)

Option D: Mobile Artillery
Light Howitzer - Really more of an infantry gun than a howitzer. Can be moved around easily. Can only fire over open-sights. (3 man crew - Regular)
AT Rifle Team - 1 AT Rifle with assistant (2 infantry - Regulars)

Armored Support - Choose one of two options:
Option E: Panzer Group
Panzer II - Light tank with autocannon and co-axial MMG (1 tank - Regular)
Panzergrenadiers - Heavily armed. Two LMGs, two SMGs, and a rifle grenadier (10 infantry - Regular)
251/1 Halftrack with Medium Machine Gun - Lightly armored, can transport 12 men or tow all but the heaviest guns (1 halftrack - Regular)

Option F: Assault Gun
StuG III F - Assault Gun with Heavy AT gun and MMG (1 tank - Regular)
Medic - Veteran (1 infantry - Veteran)

Additional Support - Choose one of two options:
Option G: Luftwaffe Assistance
Forward Air Observer - Observer with assistant. Can call in an airstrike. (2 infantry - Regular)
20mm Flakvierling 38 - Four autocannons on a rotating platform. Can be used against ground or air targets (3 crew - Regular)
SdKfz 7 Halftrack - Soft-skinned, can transport 12 men or haul any gun (1 halftrack - Regular)

Option H: Panzergrenadiers
Panzergrenadiers - Heavily armed. Two LMGs, two SMGs, and a rifle grenadier (10 infantry - Regular)
251/1 Halftrack with Medium Machine Gun - Lightly armored, can transport 12 men or tow all but the heaviest guns (1 halftrack - Regular)

---

:siren: You will have until Midnight PDT on Friday July 3rd to select your forces and decide who will command what. :siren:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

My opinion is we go heavy infantry - high risk, high reward.

Pioneers: Option B because it's always helpful to be able to werf the flammen in der Bahnhof.

Artillery: Option C for heavy support. Maybe we can actually hit something with artillery this time?

Armored Support: Option E light tank + more PGs + halftrack with MMG = great success

Additional Support: Option H more mans! air support is fickle and if we need to rake a building an MMG will do just fine.

Any opinions? Feel free to call me an idiot.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I'm so glad you take the effort to make this a reality for everyone, both those who play and spectators!

I propose the following setup;

While it would be nice to have a lot of heavy stuff, most of the fighting looks to be done within the buildings (and since buildings are our objective, I think having a lot of manpower and especially those juicy flamers can prove to be essential to a victory here.
There's not going to be a lot of room to manouver for any tracked vehicles too, which leads me to believe that a very quick rush to grab the buildings (and hold until we can further reinforce it) is essential.
I also think that, to further expedite orders we give one person 'command' over all the squads.
This doesn't mean that it's just one person running the game, only that this one person makes up a complete plan for all the units BUT these orders are only put in effect should the individual commanders not be able to give their orders in time.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Greggster posted:

There's not going to be a lot of room to manouver for any tracked vehicles too, which leads me to believe that a very quick rush to grab the buildings (and hold until we can further reinforce it) is essential.
I also think that, to further expedite orders we give one person 'command' over all the squads.
This doesn't mean that it's just one person running the game, only that this one person makes up a complete plan for all the units BUT these orders are only put in effect should the individual commanders not be able to give their orders in time.

I've been really trying to avoid having players post orders for other players units unless absolutely necessary because it can sometimes make players feel railroaded into certain actions.

What we could do is have a player whose job is to check at a certain point before each set of orders are due, and and post temporary orders for any missing units.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I concur with your unit selections and the idea of having someone "in command." Maybe whoever takes the HQ unit also is responsible for giving orders if anything falls through - and for establishing initiative?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ok, there will be a "Team Captain" who sets the initiative for the team and may post temporary orders for missing players in the 12 hours before turns are due. I am going to try and be better about posting 24 and 12 hour warnings in the threads for when orders are due.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pioniers: Option B
Artillery: Option D
Armored: Option E
Additional: Option G

I like the idea of having lots of infantry, but air support and going brrrr with autocannons sounds good too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Zurui posted:

My opinion is we go heavy infantry - high risk, high reward.

Pioneers: Option B because it's always helpful to be able to werf the flammen in der Bahnhof.

Artillery: Option C for heavy support. Maybe we can actually hit something with artillery this time?

Armored Support: Option E light tank + more PGs + halftrack with MMG = great success

Additional Support: Option H more mans! air support is fickle and if we need to rake a building an MMG will do just fine.

Any opinions? Feel free to call me an idiot.

I agree with this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'm partial to Stugs, but the extra SMG and LMG is probably worth more than a medic.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Looks like there is a fairly broad consensus on these options:

--

The vote on Option C & D is split two & two right now. Mllaneza, you can act as tie-breaker, or if you guys want to discuss more and come to a decision, that's ok too.

Option C: Big Guns
Medium Howitzer - Comes with spotter. Can fire over open-sights or indirectly (5 man crew - Regular)

Light Howitzer - Really more of an infantry gun than a howitzer. Can be moved around easily. Can only fire over open-sights. (3 man crew - Regular)

--

I'll also need you guys to decide who will act as Team Captain and which group you'd each like to command. Reminder: doing this a little differently this time. Instead of splitting up all the units just choose one of the pre-created groups you'd like to command.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

:siren: Final Force Setup Stuff Due in 24 hours :siren:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Let's go with D - Mobile Artillery

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

This'll be my first game of Bolt Action ever so I'm quite happy taking something small and simple. That'd probably be the artillery?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm nominating myself for the "command" role; I'll keep an eye on the thread and make certain there's no one missing orders.

Here's our current roster:

Group A: Command (Zurui)
HQ - 1st Lieutenant & assistant armed with SMG’s (2 infantry - Regulars)
Medium Machine Gun (3 man crew - Regulars)

Group B: Pioneers (Azran)
Pioneer Squad - With 4 SMGs and 1 Flamethrower (9 infantry - Veterans)
Pioneer Squad - With 4 SMGs and 1 Flamethrower (9 infantry - Veterans)

Group C: Artillery (Jeoh)

Group D: Armor (Greggster)
Panzer II - Light tank with autocannon and co-axial MMG (1 tank - Regular)

Group E: Support (mllaneza)

Our team:

Greggster (Group D)
Jeoh (Group C)
Azran (Group B)
mllaneza (Group E)
Zurui (Group A)

Zurui fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 3, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'll take Group B and I'm more than happy with letting Zurui have the command role.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I picked it, I'll play it. Group E: Support.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

That leaves Greggster playing the tank group! We're all ready to go!

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Sounds amazing, let's do this team :)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Cool, thanks for being organized.

Here is your deployment info:

You will be approaching the Rail Station from the Northwest. You may deploy all of your units in the areas indicated at game start, or you may hold some (up to half) of them in reserve.

No outflanking is allowed this game, so reserves will come in from your deployment areas.

You are arriving just before morning, so the first two turns will use Night Fighting rules. Basically, during Night Fighting your visibility is limited to 2D6". Units can be seen from further away when they fire or run, but basically don't count on hitting anything more than 12" away. Turn 3 is when the morning arrives and after that normal visibility rules will apply. Game will be 6 turns with a 7th if both sides have troops in the building at the end of turn 6.

--
Terrain stuff:

The Rail Station has two stories plus the roof. Inside each floor are several rooms. Your troops can ADVANCE from room to room on the same floor, or ADVANCE a single floor per turn. If RUNNING you can change from one building to the next or go up/down two floors at a time. Entering the building can be done from any doors or windows, which ring the entire building.

The two black train cars in your spawn have doors and can be occupied/passed through by troops with a RUN order.

--

Alright German team, start planning your deployments and Turn 1 orders. :siren:Because of the holiday weekend Deployment + 1st Turn Orders will be due Noon PDT Monday July 6th:siren:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

What's the range like on my howitzer, and can I fire into the blind? I'm tempted to place it in the ruins to the north and start firing at the area between the Soviet deployment zone and the objective, if that makes sense. Are the ruins to the east accessible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Jeoh posted:

What's the range like on my howitzer, and can I fire into the blind? I'm tempted to place it in the ruins to the north and start firing at the area between the Soviet deployment zone and the objective, if that makes sense. Are the ruins to the east accessible?

It has a 48" range which will cover almost the length of the map. The light howitzer does not have a spotter, so you can only fire at targets you have direct LOS to. Artillery cannot enter buildings unless they begin the game deployed in one, in which case they are stuck there for the game.

All the buildings can be entered by infantry.

:siren: 24 Hour Warning for Deployment + 1st Turn Orders :siren:

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 5, 2020