Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

That reminds me I should go continue my campaign.
What's a good light mech to blow through the light weight class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Lawman 0 posted:

That reminds me I should go continue my campaign.
What's a good light mech to blow through the light weight class

Puma with an LBX20. (working with vague memories here)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Buy an Urbanmech, you coward!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Mordja posted:

Buy an Urbanmech, you coward!

Hell yeah

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If you're not going fast, you're playing lights wrong. The Puma with 2 ERPPCs is good if your aim is on point. I like Ullers and Cougars with LLs, and Owens if I want to SSRM boat.

Although I mostly pick all those due to aesthetics, just like all my Mech picks.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 14, 2020

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
If not the aforementioned Puma, the Wolfhound has really great hitboxes. Load it up with LLs/ERLLs or with HMLs/HSLs. In league we always ran them with LLs.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

sebmojo posted:

3pv in mwo was a non issue in the end, they made it very clunky to use. I just had it set to start there so I could admire my fancy Robert as I trudged to battle. It's in a decent state now.

I honestly don't mean to come off like an rear end in a top hat here, but I probably will. I'm sorry.

If 3pv wasn't/isn't an issue in MWO, all it means is that there aren't players good enough left to really abuse it or it is an issue but its hard to see because there is no league play, just random pickup games. That is, assuming, there hasn't been some kind of mechanical change to 3pv since I left that makes the below not true.

3pv is a huge issue because it completely upsets the radar/cover/target acquisition dynamic. Its essentially a wall hack, as it allows you to see other mechs without exposing yourself to fire or detection. It makes jump snipers worse because it allows them to line up their shots before they jump while the victim has no way to detect them except for the millisecond between when they crest the hill and when they fire. It makes city fights especially turtle-y as you can see around corners without exposing yourself and without a spotter.

This image does a good job of demonstrating why its so broken, and of showing the duplicity and stupidity of PGI:

The Atlas is completely covered can now see the Stalker and Jagermech. It has no buisness seeing these mechs as it doesn't have LOS/isn't exposing itself, and these mechs haven't been scouted by a teammate. In the other image, the spider is completely hidden and has a visual on the entire map. That might not mean much in a random pickup, but as part of an organized team, that's game changing. Here's another good example from this ancient thread.

The other thing about it, as seen in the first image, is that PGI straight up lied to the community. The lack of 3pv or at least the splitting for 3pv and force-first-person into separate queues (as a compromise) was a BIG loving DEAL for the early MWO player base. This is because the vast majority of the early MWO player base were MW4 veterans. There were a whole lot of league players in there too. We all knew just how bad 3pv was for the quality of gameplay from MW4. If 3pv truly has no real effect on gameplay in MWO, it says more about the quality of gameplay in MWO than the effects of 3pv.

EDIT: the other great thing about that first image is that statement by Eckman. "We've done testing and determined that 3pv offers no tactical advantage." Hell of a self own. Those idiots are too stupid to balance their own game.

Organ Fiend fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 15, 2020

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Ambaire posted:

This mech was good enough to see play (by good teams!) in leagues. I specifically remember games against IHx where I was FC-ing where I called Pumas as first priority targets once the melee started. Those things, and LBX20 Ullers, were pretty scary in a general melee.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I never once saw anyone using it that way when spectating, so while it may have given a theoretical advantage it was both evenly distributed and not well understood. However I used it for admiring my snazzy paint job constantly.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

sebmojo posted:

I never once saw anyone using it that way when spectating, so while it may have given a theoretical advantage it was both evenly distributed and not well understood. However I used it for admiring my snazzy paint job constantly.

Well this points out two things:

One, that noone was using it kind of suggests that the MW4 people have all left. We all knew how strong it was, and I wasn't the only one who said "gently caress this" when it came out. The fact that noone is pressing the win button doesn't mean it isn't a win button.

Two, the real thing people want is to be able to check out their cool mechs! That is entirely understandable. You just have to find a way to do it that doesn't break the game. I have a few ideas along those lines:

-When in 3pv don't render any mechs/effects that you don't have LOS to. I don't know how difficult or computationally intensive this would be, but it would solve the problem, while allowing you to look at your cool mech and its cool paint job. I mean, it should be possible. I'm pretty sure that most modern game engines don't render what you can't see (i.e. what's behind you). Also, World of Tanks has some kind of LoS system where it calculates whether you should be able to "see" tanks that you have LoS to (i.e. based on cover or something).

-Prevent 3pv, but allow the game to record save "demos." I'm thinking along the lines of recording position/state information for all mechs, effects, etc on the map. After a game, you could choose to save a demo of the last match . This would be cool for a variety of reasons, among which are the fact you'd be able to take screen shots of your cool mech/paintjob in action. I'm pretty sure that some very old games (doom?) recorded demos like this.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ambaire posted:

:stonklol:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
3PV didn't turn out to be OP for the same reason it didn't turn out to be very good for introducing new players: using it was incredibly disorienting. You lost the use of your instruments and couldn't aim, and the transition period in and out of the cockpit made it difficult to keep your bearings and took long enough that it left you vulnerable. You couldn't really do the things you described in that image because you were lighting a signal flare of "I am a huge vulnerable target who can't aim properly for at least four seconds" every time you did that, so nobody bothered with the risk.

PGI was dumb for wasting so much time with it, but that wasn't because it turned out to be OP.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Cease to Hope posted:

3PV didn't turn out to be OP for the same reason it didn't turn out to be very good for introducing new players: using it was incredibly disorienting. You lost the use of your instruments and couldn't aim, and the transition period in and out of the cockpit made it difficult to keep your bearings and took long enough that it left you vulnerable. You couldn't really do the things you described in that image because you were lighting a signal flare of "I am a huge vulnerable target who can't aim properly for at least four seconds" every time you did that, so nobody bothered with the risk.

PGI was dumb for wasting so much time with it, but that wasn't because it turned out to be OP.

So you're saying that you lost the reticle and/or the ability to shoot? If not, why not just run in 3pv all the time to avoid the transition period?

Regardless, even if you couldn't fight with it, it still gives you ability to peak around corners/over hills without risk of damage or detection. In any sort of organized play (i.e. where everyone is on comms) scouting would be trivial and probably end up making the game more prone to camping/turtling than before.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If it was op it would have been used constantly. It was only used by people who were very bad in the hundred or so hours I played, that I saw. Possibly that's because all the smart people left! I don't know.

I thought they nerfed it cleverly, your aiming was slightly worse and you lost all of your hud. Plus it took a couple of seconds to switch so you didn't want to use it in a brawl.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Organ Fiend posted:

So you're saying that you lost the reticle and/or the ability to shoot? If not, why not just run in 3pv all the time to avoid the transition period?

Convergence never quite worked right with 3PV except at very short range. You could aim in a general way, but your reticle was unreliably inaccurate depending on the particular distance to the target.

It was near-worthless for scouting because you lost the use of your radar, so your situational awareness was significantly worse. It was never as powerful as seismic sensor for detecting enemies nearby until years later when seismic caught a bunch of nerfs. (And by that point, group queue was dead, nevermind any sort of competitive community.) It also lit up a flare to your current position, which was a big problem for a light mech.

None of the predicted benefits ever panned out. PGI successfully kept it from being OP, but in doing so made sure it never made the game more approachable.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

sebmojo posted:

I thought they nerfed it cleverly, your aiming was slightly worse and you lost all of your hud. Plus it took a couple of seconds to switch so you didn't want to use it in a brawl.

Cease to Hope posted:

Convergence never quite worked right with 3PV except at very short range. You could aim in a general way, but your reticle was unreliably inaccurate depending on the particular distance to the target.

It was near-worthless for scouting because you lost the use of your radar, so your situational awareness was significantly worse. It was never as powerful as seismic sensor for detecting enemies nearby until years later when seismic caught a bunch of nerfs. (And by that point, group queue was dead, nevermind any sort of competitive community.) It also lit up a flare to your current position, which was a big problem for a light mech.

This sounds like it fixes the main issue with jump snipers and with close quarters brawling, but it really doesn't solve the issues with scouting.

I mean sure, you lose your radar, but you can still see everything without exposing yourself to fire or radar detection. This probably isn't/wasn't an issue in public queue games, but any organized team (public queue or not) would be able to abuse this in a big way. take that spider screenshot. The spider is small and fast enough to get in that position undetected. That spider has a perfect view of the low ground team's spawn and the likely directions it would go in. It could relay position and force composition over comms.

I'm just saying, if I had my old team, I know exactly how I'd abuse this.

Also, on an individual level, it still lets you peek over hills, which is useful for ranged combat. See the two pictures with the Atlas in it. In both of those situations, without 3pv, the Atlas would have to peek out to see those mechs, exposing itself to detection and fire. In the first case, it would probably be ok (just two mechs, and they look engaged), but in the other, it would suddenly be face to face with most of the enemy team, and would probably get armor stripped on a panel.

If I was in those situations, in the first one I'd see the stalker and jagermech, switch back to first person, and then crest the hill and take a chunk out of one of them. It wouldn't matter that there's a long transition time. I'm safe behind the hill. I just wait to the end of the transition to crest. In the second situation, I'd see the entire enemy team and just not crest at all. 3pv would save me a crit panel.

Cease to Hope posted:

None of the predicted benefits ever panned out. PGI successfully kept it from being OP, but in doing so made sure it never made the game more approachable.

Also, the way they did it completely broke the trust and confidence alot of people had in PGI. This was a slow burn. There were alot of issues leading up to this (balance issues, trial mechs, etc.). The 3pv betrayal was the last straw for alot of us (see that old thread I linked).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Organ Fiend posted:

This sounds like it fixes the main issue with jump snipers and with close quarters brawling, but it really doesn't solve the issues with scouting.

There was another major reason 3PV never mattered in competitive, and a major reason competitive play in general was a joke.

The maphacking and wallhacking that was absolutely rampant in competitive play around that time was also much more effective for getting perfect scouting information. By the time PGI got that under control (and they never really fully eliminated it except in controlled tournament circumstances), pure scouts were no longer part of the competitive meta.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Cease to Hope posted:

There was another major reason 3PV never mattered in competitive, and a major reason competitive play in general was a joke.

The maphacking and wallhacking that was absolutely rampant in competitive play around that time was also much more effective for getting perfect scouting information. By the time PGI got that under control (and they never really fully eliminated it except in controlled tournament circumstances), pure scouts were no longer part of the competitive meta.

Ugh.

I'm sure that made pick up play fun too.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, I managed to slam a burst fire AC-10, large pulse laser, and a PPC onto an Endorcer, and hot drat, this is just hilarious. The heat gets a bit obscene however.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Organ Fiend posted:

I mean sure, you lose your radar, but you can still see everything without exposing yourself to fire or radar detection. This probably isn't/wasn't an issue in public queue games, but any organized team (public queue or not) would be able to abuse this in a big way. take that spider screenshot. The spider is small and fast enough to get in that position undetected. That spider has a perfect view of the low ground team's spawn and the likely directions it would go in. It could relay position and force composition over comms.

I'm just saying, if I had my old team, I know exactly how I'd abuse this.

Also, on an individual level, it still lets you peek over hills, which is useful for ranged combat. See the two pictures with the Atlas in it. In both of those situations, without 3pv, the Atlas would have to peek out to see those mechs, exposing itself to detection and fire. In the first case, it would probably be ok (just two mechs, and they look engaged), but in the other, it would suddenly be face to face with most of the enemy team, and would probably get armor stripped on a panel.

If I was in those situations, in the first one I'd see the stalker and jagermech, switch back to first person, and then crest the hill and take a chunk out of one of them. It wouldn't matter that there's a long transition time. I'm safe behind the hill. I just wait to the end of the transition to crest. In the second situation, I'd see the entire enemy team and just not crest at all. 3pv would save me a crit panel.

Also, the way they did it completely broke the trust and confidence alot of people had in PGI. This was a slow burn. There were alot of issues leading up to this (balance issues, trial mechs, etc.). The 3pv betrayal was the last straw for alot of us (see that old thread I linked).

Dude, you're telling us how useful it would be while not having ever used it, and ignoring the people who have used it explain how if was useless.

It was a fun gimmick that let people admire their expensive paint jobs but did not give competitive advantage and even if it did, everyone could use it.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

sebmojo posted:

Dude, you're telling us how useful it would be while not having ever used it, and ignoring the people who have used it explain how if was useless.

It was a fun gimmick that let people admire their expensive paint jobs but did not give competitive advantage and even if it did, everyone could use it.

Do you need to use a wallhack to know how useful it would be? Would it be better if I logged into MWO and replicated the screenshots I already posted? I played a fuckton of MW4, and I played a fuckton of MWO for the year or two before they introduced 3pv. The skills, tactics, etc. are 100% transferable between the two games.

Everyone having access to 3pv makes it fair, but it degrades the quality of the game for reasons I've already posted at length about. That said, it looks like the point is mood since, based on Cease to Hope's post, actual wallhacks were abundant.

So the fact that you didn't see anyone using 3pv in this way means one of the following:
-They weren't using it because of internet honor or something
-They weren't using it because they don't understand the game
-They weren't using it because they were using acutal wallhacks

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Taintrunner posted:

Well, I managed to slam a burst fire AC-10, large pulse laser, and a PPC onto an Endorcer, and hot drat, this is just hilarious. The heat gets a bit obscene however.

So how is MW5? Is it salvageable with mods?

I'm still reticent to give any money to PGI, but maybe one day when it does on sale or something I'll pick it up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Organ Fiend posted:

Do you need to use a wallhack to know how useful it would be? Would it be better if I logged into MWO and replicated the screenshots I already posted? I played a fuckton of MW4, and I played a fuckton of MWO for the year or two before they introduced 3pv. The skills, tactics, etc. are 100% transferable between the two games.

Everyone having access to 3pv makes it fair, but it degrades the quality of the game for reasons I've already posted at length about. That said, it looks like the point is mood since, based on Cease to Hope's post, actual wallhacks were abundant.

So the fact that you didn't see anyone using 3pv in this way means one of the following:
-They weren't using it because of internet honor or something
-They weren't using it because they don't understand the game
-They weren't using it because they were using acutal wallhacks

or: because it was useless in practice and conveyed no competitive advantage.

the five seconds you're spending laboriously getting a slightly higher viewpoint to get some fractionally useful tactical intel (and losing your situational awareness from not having a map/signalling your presence with a blinking drone) would, 99/100 times, be better used to manoeuvre or shoot someone.

if it was useful, people would use it. it's not, so they don't. i'm not exaggerating when I say that in all the hours of spectating i did i never saw a single person using 3pv to peek over a (small) hill.

MW5 is fairly decent, leans heavily on lots of small tanks and planes, but it's a solid stompy robot game and doesn't need too much mod tweaking.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it was easier and comparably risky to just momentarily jumpjet over cover with a scouting light, plus that gave you momentary radar locks. every other use case was hosed up by the downsides of 3PV in MWO. it just wasn't the problem everyone predicted.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Organ Fiend posted:

I'm still reticent to give any money to PGI, but maybe one day when it does on sale or something I'll pick it up.

it sounds like there's enough mods to make it salvageable, as in the more troublesome parts of the game are more fair/made easier and you can remove the restrictions on hardpoints.

i'm gonna wait until it's on steam tho.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Late to the third person argument, but yeah. It was absolute trash and worthless in pretty much all contexts.

There are people that have played for years (and some that still play) who are intelligent, know how to optimize the game from mechlab to gameplay, and have mechanical aptitude that rivals that of pros in other games. They just made the mistake of picking MWO as the game that they dumped way too much time and technical practice into. I'm mostly talking about the Empyreal guys who ended up scooping up anyone who was even remotely talented in the game, but there's others outside of that stable of competitive players.

Going "HURR DURR WELL OBVIOUSLY EVERYONE THERE GOT SMALL BRAINS!!! MINE IS HUGE AND I HAVE BIG IDEAS ABOUT DRONE CAMERA" is disingenuous. You don't get surprised in MWO because if you aren't braindead you can gather information in ten different ways that don't expose you to danger, and there are optimized positions in all the maps where you KNOW a smart player will be in any given build type. If those positions don't get seized then the other team isn't competitively viable in that fight unless they're making an extremely niche tactical decision, in which case you pivot to secondary or tertiary positions that are meant to counter those decisions.

In solo queue or group queue (which are pretty dead) outside of the competitive scene (which is pretty dead) the rule about knowing where the red team players are largely holds true, with exception to people who are so wildly bad at the game or deciding to do something wildly stupid that they end up in weird places that are easily punished if blue team can rub two brain cells together.

The way you pie corners means it doesn't matter who is where, because you're only going to be exposing a shred of your mech to a shred of your single target's mech and nothing more. You're a dumb clown if you expose further above a ridge or around a corner than just enough to get your guns around the corner and put them onto the component of the enemy mech that you're trying to shoot. If you do a full exposure to multiple enemy mechs then you've made a fucky wucky and get to lose disproportionate amounts of armor to the amount of damage that you'll put out.

Information gathering was all about familiarity with the maps and is almost entirely risk free even without the third person drone, and someone running third person is completely incapable of torso twisting and arm shielding, doesn't have access to their map, gets to stare at a million particle effects bouncing off their mech that they otherwise wouldn't see in first person, and is immediately given a mental bookmark as a totally free kill by anyone observing them thanks to the bright red drone light blinking behind their mech because only new players or bad players ever deployed the thing.

"This one easy trick that no one's thought of that's been sitting under their noses this entire time!" absolutely isn't the third person camera. Those things broadly don't exist because the mechwarrior genre is simple once you understand what things do what and has had enough time to be completely exhausted in its optimizations. The only time there's meta shifts is when a new mech with greater capabilities is released or when they make balance changes to the equipment that creates different optimal mechlab setups. If you downloaded MWO right now (you shouldn't) to try to prove the theory of the advantages of the third person camera you'd look and sound like a clueless mechdad the entire time.

tl;dr You have multiple people telling you that it's completely loving worthless and have extremely proficient players in the dead competitive scene who don't touch it because it's worthless. Go do your best to prove everyone otherwise because you will never in a million years be able to gather supporting evidence towards the viability or usefulness of the 3rd person camera in MWO.

Organ Fiend posted:

It's a completely mediocre game after their initial patches. Nothing to really super complain about, nothing to really praise them about. Haven't even looked at the mods for it because I set it down after finishing the campaign.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 27, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Commoners posted:

Late to the third person argument, but yeah. It was absolute trash and worthless in pretty much all contexts.

Aside from the context of looking at your fancy mech and deciding to buy more overpriced paints, for which it's p deece

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Organ Fiend posted:

Honestly a lot of my complaints have been addressed by the tonnage limit removal mod. Buying a new robot and playing (and losing) tonnage jenga really sucked poo poo.

Point in case in the early game I saw I could sell one of my lights and then afford to buy a heavy! Guess who had to do his next drop grossly underweight because poo poo didn’t work out.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Hey guys. I made a sound mod that uses some bitchin betty, weapon and music from older Mechwarrior and Mech Commander games!

https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/102/

https://streamable.com/f3emh

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I haven't played MW (or much of most other games) in... ages, but having stumbled onto this thread I'm very glad you guys are :3:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Trabant posted:

I haven't played MW (or much of most other games) in... ages, but having stumbled onto this thread I'm very glad you guys are :3:

I'm probably not the first person (or last!) to say this, but I hear the SFX in my head every time I see your avatar :unsmith:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BurtLington posted:

Hey guys. I made a sound mod that uses some bitchin betty, weapon and music from older Mechwarrior and Mech Commander games!

https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/102/

https://streamable.com/f3emh

It’s great! Such a massive improvement, I used it last night and had a lot of fun.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

It’s great! Such a massive improvement, I used it last night and had a lot of fun.

Thanks man.

Here's something else I've been working on:

https://streamable.com/79unc

The game didn't have ejection or critical reactor sound effects, so I decided to fix that.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Hey, guys - I heard MW5 had a lot of problems with bad AI and enemy pop-in and such - have those been fixed at all, or will teammates still lose missions for you by stomping through buildings you're trying to protect, or whatever?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They've improved spawning, and there are some good team mate ai mods. Meaning to pick it up again and drop some mods on actually, does anyone have a good list?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Switching to DOSBox scaler render setting "rgb3x" in a DOSBox Mechwarrior 2 install seems to upscale the movies in Mechwarrior 2 and make the in-game graphics slightly crisper, appearing more like what 1990's technology (CRT monitors/1990's 3D acceleration) were capable of delivering.

(the DOSBox render change works for Ghost Bear & MW2: Mercs too, however the opening movies in GBL & Mercs are pixelated but definitely play at a much higher resolution. In-game graphics look slightly crisper.)

In your dosbox config set
[render]
scaler=rgb3x

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s taken three days, but I’ve finally got MechWarrior 2, 3, 4, and the Mercs/Expansions to work on Windows 10. Surprisingly, Mech 4 was by far the hardest to get working.

Mech 4 Mercs question: should I install the IS and Clan Mech Packs, or does the MekTek version include those already?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

chaosapiant posted:

It’s taken three days, but I’ve finally got MechWarrior 2, 3, 4, and the Mercs/Expansions to work on Windows 10. Surprisingly, Mech 4 was by far the hardest to get working.

Mech 4 Mercs question: should I install the IS and Clan Mech Packs, or does the MekTek version include those already?

I don't remember, but if you have the highlander and the warhawk, you have both packs.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It's weird playing these games again, because last time I played any of them was before I adapted to WASD, which wasn't really a standard then. So now I find myself remapping Mech 3 and 4's control scheme to mirror 2's, because using the numpad for directional input feels the most natural. I wonder how a WASD setup would work nowadays with these games.

Also, is there a way to un-invert the Y axis on the mouse for Mech 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Also, is there a way to un-invert the Y axis on the mouse for Mech 2?

Try going into the in-game options menu of Mechwarrior 2 (hit F1 I think), which also allows you to tweak the in-game graphics settings.
Always found MechVM pretty frustrating/gimped, DOS versions of Mechwarrior 2 under DOSBox is my preference.