Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AnxiousHolly/status/1790865594390106408?t=IarqAR76hkC4VRsua0SARw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Bald Stalin posted:

Shipping containers are sofa king dumb. It's cheaper to just use pieces of steel instead of retrofitting them. Liberal brain rot.

Maybe a little but not by much, containers are really cheap. They also typically use rust resistant corten steel. The main saving is that you don't have to assemble it into a box, half the labour is done already.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the factory i work at is at the end of this long country road and there's a bunch of mcmansions lining the road on the way there, it's crazy to me that all these guys have the same huge rear end lawn with just nothing in it. no gardens, no trees, no bushes, just acres of flat grass they all have to mow for 6 hours every sunday lol

Lawns are good you just have to mow them with a sheep, or as some of my neighbours call it, a ride on lawn mower.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

good idea if you want to convince suburbanites lawns are hella gay

drat horror queefs posted:

This one is actually the fault of the French, for what it's worth

Weird I would expect to see these two posts in the opposite order

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Weka posted:

Maybe a little but not by much, containers are really cheap. They also typically use rust resistant corten steel. The main saving is that you don't have to assemble it into a box, half the labour is done already.

nope you'll need to reinforce it and build a floor and then insulate it. you aren't saving poo poo

prefab architecture is already a thing, shipping container nerds are just idiots

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it turns out "building a roof and four walls" is a solved problem and it's not the expensive part of a house

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you can just build a house out of sticks in the woods

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
if you really wanted to use a shipping container for housing you'd prolly be better off breaking it down and using the steel panels for roofing surface

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I would simply not build our entire economy to be reliant on millions upon millions of metal rectangles constantly being loaded and unloaded on gas-guzzling ships manned with not-quite-slave labor but I'm built different

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

tokin opposition posted:

I would simply not build our entire economy to be reliant on millions upon millions of metal rectangles constantly being loaded and unloaded on gas-guzzling ships manned with not-quite-slave labor but I'm built different

Yeah it should be built on AI chat bots talking to each other.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

tokin opposition posted:

What if you sold space in a shipping container to tech bros as a burner experience and then recreate season 2 episode 1 of the wire?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

the milk machine posted:

it's being pushed from above a bit, but the tiny house / shipping container thing is like catnip for architecture students and design competitions so you see a whole bunch of dumb poo poo that's not thought out very well

it's a project that's relatively limited in scope that looks like it's forward thinking and addressing current / future housing issues, and you can hand wave (lie) about how it's sustainable and environmentally friendly and affordable

the same reason industrial design students are always redesigning the bicycle by examining the concept and then removing anything good or useful about it

both things are easy for brain dead "tech" "journalists" to grab a few renders, write three paragraphs about how it's so futuristic and will change the world, and then hit publish

couldn’t have said it better. It ends up being the perfect thing for an eye catching college project that doesn’t stand up to scrutiny from anyone really investigating the reality of it. My undergrad engineering program partnered with an undergrad architecture program to design some poo poo like this. Both teams designed the most heinous dogshit, but that dogshit just happened to exhibit all the various academic concepts we were supposed to demonstrate.

the funniest part is the (multiple) container house we designed was required to have a traditional Chinese courtyard because it was being submitted to a contest in China, vaguely partnered with a Chinese university which I’m sure was some international student marketing. None of the designs seemed remotely livable despite reasonable square footage (on paper) as a result.

I stuck 3 colored LEDs in a breadboard and aligned them to make “white” light for the house’s fixtures. I got a B.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nope you'll need to reinforce it and build a floor and then insulate it. you aren't saving poo poo

prefab architecture is already a thing, shipping container nerds are just idiots

and you have to buy a new one to start with because no one keeps records of what was shipped in the containers or if they ever had minor impacts that might compromise their structural integrity

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
what'd the slovakian tate thing say

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Many people are saying this

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
better people even

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
What's up with the bips?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
thinking about a guy: "now i ain't got no problem with the gays or the trans, but those bis..............."

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

A second chin has hit the billionaire

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Lady looks like Saturn had like 50 kids.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

the milk machine posted:

thinking about a guy: "now i ain't got no problem with the gays or the trans, but those bis..............."

It's more just refusing to accept that bi people exist, since everyone should eventually pick to be either straight or gay. And this might come from otherwise tolerant people, straight or gay.

But yeah, you're not getting beat up for being bi except if you're (inaccurately) being beat up for being gay.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

are tiny houses/container houses still a thing? It seems like that was popular like 10 years ago but faded away.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
This was just being discussed in another thread, it's because shipping containers are just about the absolute worst thing you could turn into a house and all they're good for is to architecture student final projects that will never be built. Also enough people have actually lived in tiny houses that it is known they suck rear end unless you have to live there.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

brugroffil posted:

are tiny houses/container houses still a thing? It seems like that was popular like 10 years ago but faded away.

Tiny houses are definitely still a thing, but they don’t get as much attention anymore. Lots of people think they’re the solution to the homeless crisis which I think better that then the fenced in parking lots where people are all told they can pitch a tent and get patrolled by 24/7 security

Shipping container houses honestly I don’t know if I’ve ever seen one in the wild

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Used to be we'd just call a tiny house a shack. I've known a few truckers that have converted a reefer trailer into a home, but have never known anyone to live in a container.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

nomad2020 posted:

Used to be we'd just call a tiny house a shack. I've known a few truckers that have converted a reefer trailer into a home, but have never known anyone to live in a container.

where can I find one of these Marijuana houses...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ArmedZombie posted:

where can I find one of these Marijuana houses...

Take the Atlanta highway until you see a faded sign exactly 15 miles away from there. Follow it and keep an eye out for an old shack in the middle of a field.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

This is the shack you're looking for.

https://www.penskeusedtrucks.com/truck-types/semi-trailers/reefer-trailers/

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Maybe the suitable home design is next to it, just out of frame

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Tiny houses are definitely still a thing, but they don’t get as much attention anymore. Lots of people think they’re the solution to the homeless crisis which I think better that then the fenced in parking lots where people are all told they can pitch a tent and get patrolled by 24/7 security

Shipping container houses honestly I don’t know if I’ve ever seen one in the wild

there's a seattle funded tiny home project right near my apartment, I've never seen a human being actually living in one of those so they're either worse than just being unhoused or it's a cover for an organ harvesting scheme or something. I've seen larger garden sheds, but at least they have A/C. (lucky duckies!!!!!)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

there's a seattle funded tiny home project right near my apartment, I've never seen a human being actually living in one of those so they're either worse than just being unhoused or it's a cover for an organ harvesting scheme or something. I've seen larger garden sheds, but at least they have A/C. (lucky duckies!!!!!)

Yeah idk the devils in the details and obviously we can and should just make normal housing for people, but if nothing else they seem like they’re a step up from a big parking lot where you get pointed to the spot where you’re allowed to pitch a tent, and definitely better than a cot in an overcrowded shelter where you have to join in on the group prayers before bed and such

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

This was just being discussed in another thread, it's because shipping containers are just about the absolute worst thing you could turn into a house and all they're good for is to architecture student final projects that will never be built. Also enough people have actually lived in tiny houses that it is known they suck rear end unless you have to live there.

I've seen some people living in tinyhouses (not built out of shipping containers) that seem pretty happy with it, but they've all been very outdoorsy active hippy types with houses in rural areas and they're basically in the house very little.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

shipping containers were never actually a thing, just clickbait, but tinyhomes got officially consecrated into building codes and law as ADUs and they can't be built or sold fast enough, especially in cali

they suck, its like applying austerity in the form of compressing living space while holding on to the truemost sacrosanct value of all americans: thou shalt not share a wall with thy neighbor

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
i wonder how much the thermal mass inefficiency of tiny homes inflates energy demand for a/c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

a couple different r-values are of interest re: tiny homes