Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nettle Soup posted:

and an example of bullshitting with absolute confidence:

We can use this as a manager AI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Workers often humanise the machines they work with, because they can relate to something working hard for hours despite being neglected.

So, it's no surprise that tech managers humanise LLMs for confidently bullshitting while others make excuses for their errors.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ve tried using GTP for code 3 times. Each time it created code that would compile but failed in important edge conditions to the point where figuring out what it missed was more work than cranking out boilerplate myself.

One time it did use a remarkably useful api I didn’t know about, so that was a win. Were it not 11:30 PM and I could chat with a colleague they might have pointed it out. But…

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Remulak posted:

I’ve tried using GTP for code

User error

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just last night I used ChatGPT to figure out the probability of six dice showing at least one '6' when thrown. It gave me the correct formula (though since I don't remember a drat thing about probability and didn't completely trust it, I first verified it was the correct formula to use through some internet searching), and I'd heard that it had better math skills now, so I asked it for a table of probabilities from 1 die to 6 dice.

Per ChatGPT, throwing five dice had a lower probability of showing a 6 than throwing four. Which didn't make sense, even to a dunce like me.

When I asked about it, I got five paragraphs back about how certain it was, an explanation with math words in it why it was correct, and a reminder that sometimes probability has unexpected and unintuitive outcomes, and that this was one of them.

I went ahead and did the calculations on my own and got my own table.

----

I tried using ChatGPT to help me write an excel formula, and it was incorrect so many times, it was easier to just look up help for the functions it was recommending.

So, like the math problem, it picked roughly the right approach, but that was about it. It was about as useful as an internet search should be.

----

I also recently tried to get it to help me write a batch file for using 7zip to update an encrypted .7z file every so often, prompting for password where necessary.

It took at least an hour to get it to do something usable, and when I asked about certain issues, it confidently gave me false information about what they meant.

----

In all of the above, I was just inexperienced enough to need help, but I was also untrusting, driven, and intuitive enough to piece together a functional solution. If I was in a hurry, too trusting, or had less experience with solving minor software issues on my own, I might not even realize how broken my solutions were.

Funny thing is, I really couldn't figure these things out without asking a human or using ChatGPT, not because it's so good at what it does, but because Google and Bing are such piles of poo poo, it would have been an even bigger waste of my time to use them.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
It's a bit like asking a sanitised version of 4chan for advice.

Mix of knowledge and ignorance, presented in a consistent style, no usernames, different responders for each follow-up question.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Kinda wonder, since fast foods and soda are unaffordable now (McDonalds prices have literally doubled and in some cases tripled from 10 years ago) if there isn't an upside for a reduction in consumption of poo poo foods and therefore obesity?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've lost about 80lbs in the past couple years, so yes (yes, really)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Mercury_Storm posted:

Kinda wonder, since fast foods and soda are unaffordable now (McDonalds prices have literally doubled and in some cases tripled from 10 years ago) if there isn't an upside for a reduction in consumption of poo poo foods and therefore obesity?

I have to assume so. About a decade ago I dropped a little over 100 pounds and I did it by following only two rules when it came to what I consumed:

1. Don't drink calories.
2. Don't eat fast food.

Those two rules and regularly going to the gym was really, really effective.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think I'll get a five guys burger and shake.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

Probably a net good for society, especially if consumption of sugared soda goes down, but families in food deserts with chronically stressful and chaotic lives will probably just go back to the boxed macaroni and cheese, hotdog, and kool-aid diet of the 80s, which is even more nutritionally empty than chicken nuggets and burgers that at least had a slice of tomato and some lettuce.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Tools are very often only as good as their users are, though.

I’m not making an argument for translating all engineers into ai for all code. Just that it’s basically becoming cleaner and better able to not gently caress up (doesn’t mean it doesn’t gently caress up).

And whilst it’s not able to come up with the most optimal solution all the time, it’s actually solved coding problems I didn’t have an answer for based on its own knowledge of thing it’s building. Can’t complain, it wrote that whilst I went for a piss.

Also training your existing text data onto a model is easier than you think. I’d be amazed if most of the big houses haven’t already got experiments of this sort of stuff in place just for shits and gigs.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you don't know enough to call out LLMs on their bullshit they do appear to be competent, yes.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I've used it for basic bitch HTML so that's nice.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

In all of the above, I was just inexperienced enough to need help, but I was also untrusting, driven, and intuitive enough to piece together a functional solution. If I was in a hurry, too trusting, or had less experience with solving minor software issues on my own, I might not even realize how broken my solutions were.

Funny thing is, I really couldn't figure these things out without asking a human or using ChatGPT, not because it's so good at what it does, but because Google and Bing are such piles of poo poo, it would have been an even bigger waste of my time to use them.

this is how i use chatgpt personally, its better as a search assistant that you understand needs to be validated carefully at every turn. with that in mind it can be useful for certain research

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This morning I was in my kitchen and said to my cat, "Oh, you're out of food!" Alexa responded to my voice to start advertising at me. gently caress that piece of poo poo. If it wasn't for the fact that someone else in the house loves it, I'd have chucked it in the trash long ago.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

I've lost about 80lbs in the past couple years, so yes (yes, really)

Congrats brother!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I really cannot stress enough, in general and to some of the posters over the last page or two, that LLMs are not actual for-realsies AI. They don't have intelligence, they don't think, they don't have "memory" the way we think of it. Think of them more as incredibly robust auto-completes. When you ask it "How do I write 'hello world' in java?" it doesn't actually start thinking about what syntax Java tends to use or anything like that, it JUST predicts what the next character should be as it goes along based on the data it's been trained on. It goes "well most java programs start with a named 'class' so let's go with 'class HelloWorld' then most have a main function that's a public static void so let's go with that...." etc. It doesn't understand any of what it's writing, it just is mimicking what it's seen from training data. When you ask it a complex programming task or about an edge case problem you've ran in to or about a difficult math problem, it isn't going to ACTUALLY try to solve it - it just strings together words that it sees commonly strung together and spit that back out at you.

Chat GPT said "rolling five dice has a worse probability of producing a 6 than four dice" because it doesn't understand what any of those individual words mean at all, it just knows that they are very commonly put together in roughly that order. If you were writing that response out on your phone and saw the auto-correct predict the wrong word, you wouldn't think "wow my phone is bad at dice probability!" you'd just shrug off that it predicted wrong. That is how LLMs produce all of their text, programming or otherwise.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 16, 2024

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm so annoyed that Google killed Google Podcast app last month. That app served one purpose, to listen to podcasts. It was easy to use, your feed was right there, it was easy to queue things up. My wife added me to her Spotify account and I just find Spotify and Youtube Music so loving cumbersome to listen to podcasts on because they are platforms first and foremost built for music and not podcasts. It's loving annoying.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

SalTheBard posted:

I'm so annoyed that Google killed Google Podcast app last month. That app served one purpose, to listen to podcasts. It was easy to use, your feed was right there, it was easy to queue things up. My wife added me to her Spotify account and I just find Spotify and Youtube Music so loving cumbersome to listen to podcasts on because they are platforms first and foremost built for music and not podcasts. It's loving annoying.

I moved to Podbean.

It's ok, at least once you give in and pay the 10 bucks a year for it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
pocket casts

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Antennapod supremacy

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm on my wifes Spotify account now so I will deal with it, I'm just complaining because for at least the last probably 10+ years I've used Googles podcast app (in all it's various other iterations) and I hate change.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

blackmet posted:

I moved to Podbean.

It's ok, at least once you give in and pay the 10 bucks a year for it.

AntennaPod is free and open-source. It's not bad, I have a few minor gripes with the interface, but I actually like it better than I did Google Podcasts.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

purplestuffedworm posted:

AntennaPod is free and open-source. It's not bad, I have a few minor gripes with the interface, but I actually like it better than I did Google Podcasts.

Ok I might check this out thank you.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Surprisingly Spotify has gotten better for me, it used to crash a lot when listening to long podcasts. Now it only breaks down when I'm listening to something while it connects to a Bluetooth output.

Videoconferencing has gotten worse. Msteams crashes all the time from it not knowing what to do with the audio drivers and decides to just crash my mic and speakers and freeze msteams so I can't tell anyone "sorry. Microsoft poo poo the bed again. Gotta restart". Happened three times yesterday to me until i managed to convince the client to just send me an email. That's one issue with distributed teams, people keep wanting to have these two hour teams meetings instead of just sending me an email that I can read and respond to quickly without being chained to the topic (I like to switch up tasks every 45 min or so to get out of tunnel vision thinking).

Gas stations are worse too. I never pay at the pump anymore because whenever I have a lapse of judgement and do, without fail in a few weeks I'll find thousands of dollars of purchases from someone who used one of those credit card sniffers. The little metallic sticker and jiggling the card slot doesn't work anymore in my area.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
The thing I love the most about spotify is using the pc app to seamlessly swap between listening on my phone, my computer and my google home speaker. It's really nice. I am getting more used to Spotify as I use it, but I just wish there was an easier way to see which podcasts have new episodes.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

CodfishCartographer posted:

IWhen you ask it a complex programming task or about an edge case problem you've ran in to or about a difficult math problem, it isn't going to ACTUALLY try to solve it - it just strings together words that it sees commonly strung together and spit that back out at you.

When you start asking it to do creative tasks like write plans, stories, or jokes that have unusual sets of subjects it really starts to become obvious what you're talking to.

"Make a joke about a banana talking to a metabotropic G coupled protein receptor in a stale cache page"

"Create a sample risk register and burndown chart for a tardigrade picnic in times square"

"Write a moving war story from the perspective of an object linker for automative applications"

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

purplestuffedworm posted:

Hey this rules, thank you!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Internet Old One posted:

When you start asking it to do creative tasks like write plans, stories, or jokes that have unusual sets of subjects it really starts to become obvious what you're talking to.

"Make a joke about a banana talking to a metabotropic G coupled protein receptor in a stale cache page"

"Create a sample risk register and burndown chart for a tardigrade picnic in times square"

"Write a moving war story from the perspective of an object linker for automative applications"

This is also why it fails hilariously when you ask it something similar-but-different to a common question / riddle / brain-teaser. For example if you ask it the Monty Hall Problem but instead change it so the host tells you directly if you chose the prize door, Chat GPT will still recommend you swap doors. Not because it "thinks" that's the best option, but because it doesn't understand what's actually being asked and instead recognizes several of the usual words and thus spits out what the usual response should be.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

If you don't know enough to call out LLMs on their bullshit they do appear to be competent, yes.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Internet Old One posted:

Lol so I just asked it this one and it actually did a really good job but you get the idea.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
*wrong thread*

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Random Stranger posted:

This morning I was in my kitchen and said to my cat, "Oh, you're out of food!" Alexa responded to my voice to start advertising at me. gently caress that piece of poo poo. If it wasn't for the fact that someone else in the house loves it, I'd have chucked it in the trash long ago.

chuck em both in the trash so they can be together. the house is yours and kitty's now

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

CodfishCartographer posted:

This is also why it fails hilariously when you ask it something similar-but-different to a common question / riddle / brain-teaser. For example if you ask it the Monty Hall Problem but instead change it so the host tells you directly if you chose the prize door, Chat GPT will still recommend you swap doors. Not because it "thinks" that's the best option, but because it doesn't understand what's actually being asked and instead recognizes several of the usual words and thus spits out what the usual response should be.
Good news: Amazon is going to be discontinuing Alexa at some point due to it losing gobs of money.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

cat botherer posted:

Good news: Amazon is going to be discontinuing Alexa at some point due to it losing gobs of money.

Does anyone remember those stupid auto-ordering buttons Amazon made around seven or eight years ago?

Basic premise was that you had a button that could sync up with the Alexa app that would order a particular assigned product when you pressed it. You had to pay a fiver (I think) for these stupid, essentially useless things.

In order to get people to buy them, Amazon gave you a discount of a tenner on your first order made from the button. So I ordered a bunch of the buttons for stuff like toilet paper and cases of beer, pressed each one exactly once and never used them again. They were discontinued shortly after, as I assume everybody else did the exact same thing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Quote-Unquote posted:

Does anyone remember those stupid auto-ordering buttons Amazon made around seven or eight years ago?

Basic premise was that you had a button that could sync up with the Alexa app that would order a particular assigned product when you pressed it. You had to pay a fiver (I think) for these stupid, essentially useless things.

In order to get people to buy them, Amazon gave you a discount of a tenner on your first order made from the button. So I ordered a bunch of the buttons for stuff like toilet paper and cases of beer, pressed each one exactly once and never used them again. They were discontinued shortly after, as I assume everybody else did the exact same thing.

When my son was born I ordered a few for diapers, wet wipes and formula. Then right after he was born we moved in with my parents who didn't have wifi at the house due to living in the middle of nowhere. I never used them once :(

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SalTheBard posted:

When my son was born I ordered a few for diapers, wet wipes and formula. Then right after he was born we moved in with my parents who didn't have wifi at the house due to living in the middle of nowhere. I never used them once :(

I hope you kept them and still pressed the button just to frown at it. I don't know that's what I would have done...

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

In windows 11 if you disable the annoying notifications icon in the corner it disables clicking on the date to bring up the calendar. How dare you try to make your experience less poo poo user! HOW DARE YOU , enjoy the calendar not working LOL.Our metrics show people who disable the notification re-enable it and so clearly people love notifications.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some recent Android update included a new feature "Circle to Search". I've turned it off in settings, but Google insists on asking me to try it when my finger is on the home button. I turned it off you jerks, stop asking me constantly. I hate this poo poo. Stop adding dumb bullshit I can't turn off.