Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, is there good player interaction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Neither I nor our group could get into Voidfall. Maybe there's a good game in there, but we didn't find it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

!Klams posted:

So, is there good player interaction?

depends. If you think it’s a war game, no. If you think it’s a space euro, yes.

The interaction is more centered around posturing over direct conflict. So you might not be re-invading and holding the same sector as you are trying to carve out your own area and holding a threatening posture to prevent escalation

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 14, 2024

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

million dollar mack posted:

Played my second game of Brass: Birmingham last night. 3 of us had played once before and the 4th player was brand new.

I started fairly well, getting two loans and offsetting them almost instantly, but then had everyone else decide they wanted to build what I was building.
I settled on pottery and beer after everyone played follow the leader, but consequently flubbed my rail era transition (my only t2+ was in Coventry). This resulted in getting immediately blocked in by a double rail and unable to build anywhere useful.
I drew exactly 0 Birmingham cards all game, the cotton player decided to ditch it and go pottery to compete with me in Rail, beer was a shitshow with either too much or not enough at any point, and the 4th player bumbled around and connected Birmingham to the market, allowing the eventual winner to immediately drop a 5 Iron mine directly into a nearly empty market.

Still, i came in second and would have been extremely close to winning had I not gotten griefed by a player dropping pottery on the only empty spot as im about to throw down the T5.

The impact other players have on you is nuts in this, so I’m looking forward to playing it more. I feel like HT is a faster play for similar integration but this is economically far more crunchy.

At this rate, we might be ready for 1889 soon :v:
Unsolicited advice:
You should generally take the develop action at least twice in the canal era, once to get rid of your level 1 breweries and once to get rid of level 1 boxes & iron/coal. This becomes three times if you’re going cotton, which takes 1.5 develop actions alone. That’ll help you get level 2 stuff on the board.

If you’re building the same stuff as everyone else, that’s fine, just make sure you have a beer plan. It’s not like only one person can sell boxes.

If people might be screwing with you on pottery (and competing with you in any way = screwing with you), use your lvl 2 &/or 4 pottery to reserve spots if you can’t build 3/5 immediately.

Don’t be afraid to take the scout action if you can’t get locations you need. Remember that you can always use that wild industry card to overbuild a brewery of yours (OK if needed), build a farm brewery (pretty good), or snag the second Uttoxeter spot in the Rail Era (best use, but requires you to have a brewery there in the first place — which you could always use the wild location card for).

Don’t sweat too much about paying back a loan immediately if it costs you tempo. (If you’re two loans down, then yes, getting +3 income is important to stop the bleeding.) Getting key buildings into key locations first is worth paying a few pounds in interest. You’ll always get the chance to put down a coal mine & flip it sometime in the future, and you can always take another loan to temporarily stop the bleeding.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Indonesia is getting a 3rd edition from Splotter if you haven't got it, or want to make the most of the changes they've made. - Proper sized materials, clearer map and city cards, redesigned boats etc.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I picked up the 6: Siege board game and it's insanely fun but also had a very cursed KS.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Spiteski posted:

Indonesia is getting a 3rd edition from Splotter if you haven't got it, or want to make the most of the changes they've made. - Proper sized materials, clearer map and city cards, redesigned boats etc.

no, no no no. that's what they said last time. not getting me again this time, splotter. you order one of these fuckers and they'll have the ship tokens show up packed in cargo containers or something

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Spiteski posted:

Is Indonesia one of the better Splotters? I keep going back and forth about whether to get Bus, FCM + KM or TGZ. Adding in another to the list does not make things easier.

For the record, I'm currently leaning towards Bus but it changes daily so I buy none.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think Bus and TGZ are the most playable splots by far. Those two take up far less time and table space than their other stuff. And of those two, I like TGZ more, but both are great.
e: Indo is great, but it takes flipping ages and is structured so individual turns get very long introducing tremendous downtime by the end of the game.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 15, 2024

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Flipswitch posted:

a very cursed KS.

*checks BGG, sees a majority of '1' ratings on an app-supported board game published by Mythic Games in association with Ubisoft*... yeah, that checks out.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Unsolicited advice:
You should generally take the develop action at least twice in the canal era, once to get rid of your level 1 breweries and once to get rid of level 1 boxes & iron/coal. This becomes three times if you’re going cotton, which takes 1.5 develop actions alone. That’ll help you get level 2 stuff on the board.

If you’re building the same stuff as everyone else, that’s fine, just make sure you have a beer plan. It’s not like only one person can sell boxes.

If people might be screwing with you on pottery (and competing with you in any way = screwing with you), use your lvl 2 &/or 4 pottery to reserve spots if you can’t build 3/5 immediately.

Don’t be afraid to take the scout action if you can’t get locations you need. Remember that you can always use that wild industry card to overbuild a brewery of yours (OK if needed), build a farm brewery (pretty good), or snag the second Uttoxeter spot in the Rail Era (best use, but requires you to have a brewery there in the first place — which you could always use the wild location card for).

Don’t sweat too much about paying back a loan immediately if it costs you tempo. (If you’re two loans down, then yes, getting +3 income is important to stop the bleeding.) Getting key buildings into key locations first is worth paying a few pounds in interest. You’ll always get the chance to put down a coal mine & flip it sometime in the future, and you can always take another loan to temporarily stop the bleeding.

Solid advice, thanks. I should have thought more about developing to get my t2 on rather than trying to build out everywhere but otherwise that all makes sense.

It feels expensive then to build a brewery on a farm (the additional link cost) but you may have no choice if you don’t have a better beer plan I assume?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

*checks BGG, sees a majority of '1' ratings on an app-supported board game published by Mythic Games in association with Ubisoft*... yeah, that checks out.

It's got an entry on the Controversial/Fraudulent Kickstarters geeklist that explains the details. Basic gist for those who don't know is that Mythic were doing KS Ponzi and got pulled up short due to the number of unfulfilled projects. It then turned out they didn't even have enough Ponzi money to complete the furthest advanced projects and so in addition to junking several of them they were asking backers to pay up to 80% of their original pledges as a supplementary fee.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/160421/controversial-or-fraudulent-kickstarters?itemid=9742052

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's a shame too because the game is very good.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SettingSun posted:

Neither I nor our group could get into Voidfall. Maybe there's a good game in there, but we didn't find it.

PRADA SLUT posted:

depends. If you think it’s a war game, no. If you think it’s a space euro, yes.

The interaction is more centered around posturing over direct conflict. So you might not be re-invading and holding the same sector as you are trying to carve out your own area and holding a threatening posture to prevent escalation

Alright, great, thanks you guys, I think you've given me enough to tip the scales over to getting Oath instead.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

million dollar mack posted:

Solid advice, thanks. I should have thought more about developing to get my t2 on rather than trying to build out everywhere but otherwise that all makes sense.

It feels expensive then to build a brewery on a farm (the additional link cost) but you may have no choice if you don’t have a better beer plan I assume?
When I see a level 1 cotton, box, or brewery on the board, I think, “What a waste.” A develop action could have doubled its points (by allowing it to count in both Canal and Rail) and giving the owner presence in the Rail Era. Level 1 Coal and Iron are only acceptable because they need to go out when demand is high/the market is getting low in order to pay for themselves. You should think about the Canal Era not primarily as a point-scoring era, but as a chance to position yourself for the Rail Era (e.g., with presence, caching coal and possibly a beer for quick double rails, financial position by taking loans on the final Canal Era turn if feasible, and optimizing first turn’s turn order in Rail Era [taking two loans or selling then loaning helps a lot here])

Controlling the northern farm brewery is OK because it means no one can build there besides you, but the southern one has two other benefits: first, decent link points are available there if you’re going cotton, and second, if the merchant tiles have come up right, you may have a disconnected network segment, which means people would have to lay links to steal your beer (which they will, of course, so be aware).

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Redundant posted:

Is Indonesia one of the better Splotters? I keep going back and forth about whether to get Bus, FCM + KM or TGZ. Adding in another to the list does not make things easier.

For the record, I'm currently leaning towards Bus but it changes daily so I buy none.

Indonesia is one of their best imo but as mentioned it does run into a a lot of mostly pointless non decision time in the last turn or two. That can be reduced with experience but not entirely eliminated, but everything leading up to that point is great.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Flipswitch posted:

I picked up the 6: Siege board game and it's insanely fun but also had a very cursed KS.

i've yet to actually play my copy. at least i know the thing is good though

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Spiteski posted:

Yeah I just heard about this and Josh Star from Grand Trunk Games who did 1861/1867 and Shikkoku 1889 is helping them so I am more convinced this is going to be good but gently caress me if I am not irritated that the 2nd edition I've got is a mess of design choices and outright errors.

VVV It's been a while since I played it but I think they shipped both sets of tokens? But maybe neither are the right size?

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 15, 2024

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

For any non-splot heads, the outright error is the wooden tokens are nearly twice as big as they should be. The design choices is the map is entirely shades of brown with text in cursive.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

For any non-splot heads, the outright error is the wooden tokens are nearly twice as big as they should be. The design choices is the map is entirely shades of brown with text in cursive.

With BROWN text in cursive no less.
I've made a PnP copy so I'm back and forth on getting this myself as I really like the game and would be cool to not have home-made cards and ship tokens, but the map is a deal. Hppefully they put up some pictures of the changes made.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Spiteski posted:

With BROWN text in cursive no less.
I've made a PnP copy so I'm back and forth on getting this myself as I really like the game and would be cool to not have home-made cards and ship tokens, but the map is a deal. Hppefully they put up some pictures of the changes made.

They mention that they will provide images eventually. The preorder now is just for the group of people who will buy this sight unseen, lol

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

Yeah I just heard about this and Josh Star from Grand Trunk Games who did 1861/1867 and Shikkoku 1889 is helping them so I am more convinced this is going to be good but gently caress me if I am not irritated that the 2nd edition I've got is a mess of design choices and outright errors.

VVV It's been a while since I played it but I think they shipped both sets of tokens? But maybe neither are the right size?

The wooden tokens are the wrong size but the cardboard chits are the same size (and quantity) as the original printing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I picked up the deckbuilder thunderstone quest at a bring and buy a while back, because I'd heard it had a cool coop mode. We played it, but bounced off it fairly hard. It just didn't feel very finished? I'm always wary of games that say 'you can configure the difficulty by changing these different variables, or using these different components!' because to me that always just feels like it's not balanced and they're hedging it. (Spirit island gets it TOTALLY right though).

Anyway, yeah, the Co op mode feels kind of silly, because it's like, well, we didn't succeed due to random events. We could make it easier via several different levers, but then if we win it will feel like we just won by pulling the 'win' lever. And we only lost to variance anyway so....

Just all felt very hollow, and like the character powers never really came online, etc etc. Just quite weak.

Anyway, yesterday we got it out again and played the normal, competetive mode. REALLY good!

The way it works is your starter deck is a bunch of level 0 heroes and weak daggers. You can either visit the village on your turn, or the dungeon, which is a series of game boards that you can navigate physically down using a resource that some cards generate, light.

Cards also generate either gold or fight (in physical and magic flavour). On a village turn you can buy one thing from a static market row, including weapons, spells and level 1 heroes of 4 different types.

On a dungeon turn you can attack monsters that grant xp, with xp being victory points. After defeating a certain number of monsters, eventually a bunch of keys will come out of the monster decks, and a big monster turns up that grants a load of xp, everyone gets one last big turn to thwack it, and the game is over.

What makes the game so good though, is that, your basic bad dagger, you can trash it if you buy something with it. Your basic hero's, you can trivially level up into the various level 1 heroes, which trashes them. This means from really early on, your deck becomes whatever strategy you're trying. You start getting those big payoff turns from turn three. There's also treasure rewards for killing big monsters, and again, you get to use it quickly and often.

There are only so many level 2 and 3 heroes, so it's a race to upgrade yours quickest. Some monsters are harder, some give better rewards, and when a particular deck gets tinned out, it's more likely to have a key. All this means you're really having to pay attention to what your opponents are doing, but not in the usual "oh I wanted to buy that" way.

Lots of fun turns, lots of looking at your opponent, just enough variance with treasures and side quests (hard to fulfill secret tasks that grant unique rewards) to keep it spicy, and just an insane amount of content in the box.

I feel really dumb for not playing this sooner.

Better than dune imperium? I'd say different enough for it to not be a comparison. Dune is a lot more about the balance of long term plans vs immediate aggression. TsQ is a lot more about having loads of big turns where you smash out a lich lord and win a haunted axe.

I do really like the look of slay the spire, and now that I don't think of this as a coop deck builder I feel better about that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I have played two or possibly three of the Thunderstone games at the behest of one of my friends. I've found incredibly little worthwhile in them as compared to most other deckbuilders and co-ops. I'm even fine with a thin soup of generic heroic fantasy theme, but the game play only fine.

edit: for what it's worth, we also played co-op so maybe that's our issue too.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
How is Thunderstone Quest different from Thunderstone Advance? I had the latter early in my board gaming career and gave it to my kid because it was a fine enough deck builder with a tedious amount of tear down.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Magnetic North posted:

I have played two or possibly three of the Thunderstone games at the behest of one of my friends. I've found incredibly little worthwhile in them as compared to most other deckbuilders and co-ops. I'm even fine with a thin soup of generic heroic fantasy theme, but the game play only fine.

edit: for what it's worth, we also played co-op so maybe that's our issue too.

Yeah, the coop was dreck. Just felt really listless.

What id say the normal game has going for it, is that you never have a turn where you can't do anything, you never have that turn where you go "I've got tons of spend but the market row is all cheap" or "I've got a lot of fight but nothing to fight". Your deck gets online with its thing really quick, and the combos are all ones you chose (bar some treasures) rather than stuff you had to end up putting together because that's how the market row fell. It's not luck based, I guess is what I'm saying. You feel clever for putting a combo together, not lucky, and if you get a combo, it's very likely to come off because of how the decks stay naturally trim.

Dunno what advance is, but the version I have has a ton of deviders, so set up./ tear down is super quick, once you know what you're doing.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Golden Geek awards have been dished out:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3300892/18th-annual-golden-geek-winners-for-2023

quote:

2-Player Game
Winner - Sky Team
Runner Up - Star Wars: The Deckbuilding Game
Runner Up - Undaunted: Battle of Britain

Artwork Presentation
Winner - The Castles of Burgundy: Special Edition
Runner Up - Earth
Runner Up - Voidfall

Cooperative Game
Winner - Sky Team
Runner Up - Earthborne Rangers
Runner Up - Sleeping Gods: Distant Skies

Expansion
Winner - Ark Nova: Marine Worlds
Runner Up - Lost Ruins of Arnak: The Missing Expedition
Runner Up - Cascadia: Landmarks

Innovative
Winner - Hegemony: Lead Your Class to Victory
Runner Up - Sky Team

Light GOTY
Winner - Thunder Road: Vendetta
Runner Up - Knarr
Runner Up - Faraway

Medium GOTY
Winner - Earth
Runner Up - The Castles of Burgundy: Special Edition
Runner Up - The White Castle

Heavy GOTY
Runner Up - Dune: Imperium – Uprising
Runner Up - Darwin's Journey

Party Game
Winner - That's Not a Hat
Runner Up - Dixit: Disney Edition
Runner Up - Nekojima

Print Play
Winner - Waypoints
Runner Up - Fliptown
Runner Up - Naturopolis

Solo Game
Winner - Legacy of Yu
Runner Up - Earth

Thematic Game
Runner Up - Sky Team
Runner Up - Dune: Imperium – Uprising

Wargame
Winner - Undaunted: Battle of Britain
Runner Up - Halls of Hegra
Runner Up - The British Way: Counterinsurgency at the End of Empire

Best Podcast
Winner - One Stop Co-Op Shop
Runner Up - Beyond Solitaire
Runner Up - Talk Cardboard

Best Board Game App
Winner - Unmatched: Digital Edition
Runner Up - Twilight Struggle: Red Sea
Runner Up - Fleet the Dice Game

Hegemony and Sky Team cleaning up. Hadn't heard of the latter until just now.

Always get a chuckle at what they consider medium or heavy though, maybe I'm so far down this expensive rabbit-hole that seeing Dune: Imperium listed under Heavy just shocks me.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 16, 2024

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

FulsomFrank posted:

Always get a chuckle at what they consider medium or heavy though, maybe I'm so far down this expensive rabbit-hole that seeing Dune: Imperium listed under Heavy just shocks me.

Games heavier than Dune Imperium don't win awards.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sky Team is a really solid game, I like it a lot.

Hegemony I had never heard off until now.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
darwins journey p. good

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm reading a BGG review of Hegemony and it looks like the most Euro Euro that ever Euro'd. Well, those are the types of games that win awards I suppose.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I really want a copy of sky team

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

SettingSun posted:

I'm reading a BGG review of Hegemony and it looks like the most Euro Euro that ever Euro'd. Well, those are the types of games that win awards I suppose.
I think Hegemony is in a weird middle ground because it isn't actually a low-interaction euro, and all of your actions have very real effects on the other players. I kinda like it.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

SettingSun posted:

Hegemony looks so cool. It's like, every player plays a unique euro that passive agressively interacts with the other players euro game. It's four euro games in one!

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Yeah, Hegemony is highly interactive due to the asymmetry between the sides, and how they decide to shape the shared economy. The core of the economy is fairly simple; companies employ workers for wages to produce goods that they can sell to players or to fluctuating markets. The economy is governed by different policies that the players can engage in votes over. The catch is that each side is playing a class, Working, Middle, Capitalist and the State, and each of them have a different focus in the economy and how they earn VPs.

The Working Class don’t have meaningful access to company ownership, and are there to provide workers for the economy, but need to buy goods for their population, with proportionally more required for the more workers they have. So they could try to keep immigration low and their workers skilled, so they can shop around for the best jobs, and make the other players voluntarily pay higher wages to attract their workers. Alternatively if the immigration level gets pushed up, they can push for legislated higher minimum wages, zero import tariffs, and a large public service so they can stay in full employment and deal with the additional costs to make their people happy.

The Capitalist Class on the other extreme has plenty of access to companies, but has no workers. They want to have lots of companies to make lots of goods that they can sell for a profit, but to maximise that profit they’ll be trying to push wages down, limit the size of the public service to reduce competition, try to prevent free/subsidised health and education, push the tax burden onto the population, increase import tariffs if they make a lot of food so they can jack up their own prices, and increase immigration to drive up the domestic demand for goods.

I’ve only played it once and we made some mistakes, but I definitely want to play it again. It’s interesting to see how the economy/policies evolve, and working out where you can try to adapt to the changes, and where you need to draw a line and expend resources to push for policy outcomes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ubik_Lives posted:

Yeah, Hegemony is highly interactive due to the asymmetry between the sides, and how they decide to shape the shared economy. The core of the economy is fairly simple; companies employ workers for wages to produce goods that they can sell to players or to fluctuating markets. The economy is governed by different policies that the players can engage in votes over. The catch is that each side is playing a class, Working, Middle, Capitalist and the State, and each of them have a different focus in the economy and how they earn VPs.

The Working Class don’t have meaningful access to company ownership, and are there to provide workers for the economy, but need to buy goods for their population, with proportionally more required for the more workers they have. So they could try to keep immigration low and their workers skilled, so they can shop around for the best jobs, and make the other players voluntarily pay higher wages to attract their workers. Alternatively if the immigration level gets pushed up, they can push for legislated higher minimum wages, zero import tariffs, and a large public service so they can stay in full employment and deal with the additional costs to make their people happy.

The Capitalist Class on the other extreme has plenty of access to companies, but has no workers. They want to have lots of companies to make lots of goods that they can sell for a profit, but to maximise that profit they’ll be trying to push wages down, limit the size of the public service to reduce competition, try to prevent free/subsidised health and education, push the tax burden onto the population, increase import tariffs if they make a lot of food so they can jack up their own prices, and increase immigration to drive up the domestic demand for goods.

I’ve only played it once and we made some mistakes, but I definitely want to play it again. It’s interesting to see how the economy/policies evolve, and working out where you can try to adapt to the changes, and where you need to draw a line and expend resources to push for policy outcomes.

Yeah, the thing about capitalists in the game is that they usually lose multiplayer solitaire games with the workers, so it's incumbent on them to try to limit the workers' ability to do things like unionize (this is based on number of workers in a sector, so it typically means shuttering businesses), and try to work around the business system and labor in attempts to make profits. You don't want to do too much of this, but in general, if everyone just multiplayer solitaires, the working class wins.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Hegemony is a truly terrible name for a game. I'm not going to be able to pin down which game this fancy word for ruling is associated with until maybe the second time I play it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'll have to give the game a try. I'm an abject sucker for asymmetrical factions in games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

I'm thinking the best Indonesia will be a mix of 2e and 3e: big goods, big map, big ships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think Bus and TGZ are the most playable splots by far. Those two take up far less time and table space than their other stuff. And of those two, I like TGZ more, but both are great.
e: Indo is great, but it takes flipping ages and is structured so individual turns get very long introducing tremendous downtime by the end of the game.
I appreciate the Splotter advice people provided. It looks like I will stick to my guns and get Bus at some point when it's back in stock. I don't strictly need more games but maybe I splurge on Bus and Through The Desert and consider myself settled again!

Game night news!
We played Raccoon Tycoon which was interesting. The overall gist is you're trying to build towns and railways to get points. You play cards which produce some resources and also bump up the price of some resources, you can use these to build towns or sell them for the current market rate. You can use the money made from selling goods to auction railways or buy buildings to help improve your production or add other rules into the game (being able to buy from other players, making money when people do things etc). I really enjoyed it. Although very different games it had a bit of a Concordia vibe where you have goods as well as money, they're used for different purposes but you can exchange them around in some ways and efficiently navigating those options is how you stack points.

We also played Cartographers which I've heard a lot about but never had a chance to play. I've never been a huge roll/flip and write fan, but the rotating scoring criteria and the ability to mess with people's plans made it a lot of fun. I want to play with coloured pens though next time to avoid my art being a disaster!

I also played some solo Fall of Avalon which I think will be fun. It was only £20 so if I have to do some "creative accounting" to skip over some of the grind that I hear ends up happening in it then that's not the end of the world. It will still give me good value for money and once I'm done I can give it away/flip it