Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

cruft posted:

tl/dr: read this post by El Bromance and then watch the linked video.

e: f, b

El Bromance needs to share his music video channel torrent tho ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, the main issue is its ever changing contents. I’m kinda surprised BT as a protocol still hasn’t changed a ton since it first became a thing, it would be neat if the originator could roll out updates which the seeders could then accept and keep everyone up to date.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Dicty Bojangles posted:

If you take a look at the Plex dashboard while you're viewing a crummy transcode on your gaming rig you might get some insight into why the quality drop is happening. Also, consider using the Plex app on your gaming rig rather than watching movies through your browser.

Had a look at this and wasn't too sure at what i was looking at and what good/bad looked like to be honest.

deong posted:

in the browser, check the settings/quality :
host:port/web/index.html#!/settings/web/quality
There is an option to automatically adjust the quality (beta). Also an option to play videos at the original quality.
I'm guessing one of those is either checked/unchecked.

So, the auto-adjust quality was unchecked and video quality was set to 12Mbps (1080p). "Play smaller videos at original quality" is also unchecked and toggling that on or off does nothing, so, stumped.

The app works fine though so I'll just use that instead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I need to setup a channel that plays true crime murder shows mixed with episodes of unsolved mysteries and then I can probably unsubscribe from Netflix because that’s all my wife uses it for.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
the old Unsolved Mysteries is on the Plex channels or Pluto. Maybe both.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tubi definitely has it, as I had an episode on the other day to test.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't trust a USB DAS like that; there's a huge difference in reliability between "drive enclosure made by a reputable brand that connects over external SAS" and "drive enclosure made as cheaply as possible that connects using a no-name USB chip".

I am new to the concept of SAS cables

If I wanted an enclosure that used external SAS, could I get something like this for my HP Elitedesk 800 G1:

I'm currently running windows, but I also want to do Docker / Radarr Sonarr etc so I'll have to switch to a linux distro

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
If you want SAS, go with an LSI card, you can find 12G 9300-8e cards on ebay for a hundred bucks or so, and it's the most supported chipset.

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010
I'm looking to retire my old Shield TV as my server, and work is selling old Lenovo ThinkCentre M910s for $75 (i5 7500 and 8gb of RAM). I was also looking at some mini-pcs, like https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BZH6JCKF?tag=camelwebca-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&language=en_CA . Does anyone think the new hardware of the mini-pc make a big difference?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The N100 is a great little processor that I understand can transcode 4K if you need that. The price on that seems a little high compared to some deals I’ve seen (even with the exchange rate from US - I think I got an N100 Beelink for $179 or $199 US when it was on sale a while back).

Iirc you wanna shoot for 8th gen or later intel for hardware transcoding - earlier gens can do it but I think 8th gen is a step change from before.

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010

Well Played Mauer posted:

The N100 is a great little processor that I understand can transcode 4K if you need that. The price on that seems a little high compared to some deals I’ve seen (even with the exchange rate from US - I think I got an N100 Beelink for $179 or $199 US when it was on sale a while back).

Iirc you wanna shoot for 8th gen or later intel for hardware transcoding - earlier gens can do it but I think 8th gen is a step change from before.

That's good to know, there are some cheaper options from Aliexpress for the same model, around $235.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

nuh-uh no way posted:

That's good to know, there are some cheaper options from Aliexpress for the same model, around $235.

Take a look at this lil guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C89TQ1YF/?th=1. If it's available on Amazon Canada, it's similar to what you have listed except it only has 1GBps LAN ports and uses DD4 rather than 5, and it's $199 US. I don't think you'd need 2.5Gbps ports unless it's pulling full-on NAS duty and you have the networking to support that. Even 4K Remux streams at less than 100mb/s.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

They have this in Canada and I've been running one for the last few months. No issues but it's just me as the user.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

I am new to the concept of SAS cables

If I wanted an enclosure that used external SAS, could I get something like this for my HP Elitedesk 800 G1:

I'm currently running windows, but I also want to do Docker / Radarr Sonarr etc so I'll have to switch to a linux distro

That will work but it's brand new, slightly overkill, and definitely very expensive. That's the newest generation of external SAS controllers but unless you really have a burning need to do external NVMe, do this:

Qwijib0 posted:

If you want SAS, go with an LSI card, you can find 12G 9300-8e cards on ebay for a hundred bucks or so, and it's the most supported chipset.

Even sticking to US sellers it looks like these are down closer to $30-40 now.

You'll combine this with some form of external SAS enclosure - if you get a newer one that's also built for 12G SAS, you'll probably want an 8644-to-8644 cable to connect them. For older 6G SAS enclosures I would plan on an 8644-to-8088 cable. For home / non-SSD use I would expect zero difference in performance between 6G and 12G.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Had a look at this and wasn't too sure at what i was looking at and what good/bad looked like to be honest.

If I had to guess your Linux ISO is using hevc/h265 and Chrome doesn't support that codec. So you are needing to transcode to av1 (?) and you don't have enough hardware to do the decode/encode. You really need to look at the Plex server and see why it needs to transcode.

That would also explain why the Windows app works, it can let Windows handle the hevc decode.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Chillmatic posted:

https://www.lowpass.cc/p/plex-store-movies-tv-shows-tvod-vod

Knew this was coming since they started putting the lifetime pass on perpetual sale. They're gearing up for a major pivot. :smith:

It was fun while it lasted.

Did anything ever come out of this?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

That will work but it's brand new, slightly overkill, and definitely very expensive. That's the newest generation of external SAS controllers but unless you really have a burning need to do external NVMe, do this:

Even sticking to US sellers it looks like these are down closer to $30-40 now.

You'll combine this with some form of external SAS enclosure - if you get a newer one that's also built for 12G SAS, you'll probably want an 8644-to-8644 cable to connect them. For older 6G SAS enclosures I would plan on an 8644-to-8088 cable. For home / non-SSD use I would expect zero difference in performance between 6G and 12G.

hell yeah. thank you.

if I were really lazy, do you think unraid off a usb stick supports drivers for the hardware?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

Did anything ever come out of this?

https://www.plex.tv/rentals/

Not available in :canada: (because Bell and Rogers own every thing) but I didn't get anything if I switched my VPN to US.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Nothing for the UK either.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hell yeah. thank you.

if I were really lazy, do you think unraid off a usb stick supports drivers for the hardware?

Unless Unraid is doing something very fucky (I have zero experience with it directly), yes. LSI/Broadom SAS controllers have been The Standard in enterprise practically from the very beginning of SAS, and the drivers are extremely well supported in Linux.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

hell yeah. thank you.

I have an LSI 9300-16i in my unraid box, unraid recognizes it without any issue at all, 0 extra configuration required. You'll want to flash the controller to IT mode so it presents the disks to the operating system directly and disables the controller's raid, though you can probably get one pre flashed on ebay. Most sellers offer them preflashed for zfs or unraid compatability.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Can anyone here help me out with Radarr? I'm just trying to import a bunch of movies into it, and I swear the software just fights that entire process. The movies to be imported are all in their own correctly named folders in a single root folder. I added the parent folder to the "Library Import" section, and not only does it not find any movies that Radarr doesn't already have in its database, but even the ones it does find are not even selectable, with absolutely zero information from the UI as to why that's the case.

I'm basically at the point where I'll pay someone to help me with this.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Chillmatic posted:

Can anyone here help me out with Radarr? I'm just trying to import a bunch of movies into it, and I swear the software just fights that entire process. The movies to be imported are all in their own correctly named folders in a single root folder. I added the parent folder to the "Library Import" section, and not only does it not find any movies that Radarr doesn't already have in its database, but even the ones it does find are not even selectable, with absolutely zero information from the UI as to why that's the case.

I'm basically at the point where I'll pay someone to help me with this.

Have you tried importing them before? Radarr does a thing where it blocks trying to re-import films you have already tried importing once. I think the way I fixed it was deleting the path location and re-adding it.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Have you tried importing them before? Radarr does a thing where it blocks trying to re-import films you have already tried importing once. I think the way I fixed it was deleting the path location and re-adding it.

I've deleted the paths and re-added multiple times. I have tried "manual import", which is awesome because all that does is try to match movies that aren't in the library to ones that already are. :dumbgun:

I just don't understand why Sonarr makes so much sense and is easy to use, while Radarr is a loving dumpster fire unless you started out with zero movies and used it exclusively to build your library.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Something is wrong with my chrome install. Using firefox to access the same page, the movies actually show up as selectable, and it finds the folders I added. :ughh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

edit: just took a punt and tried the plex windows app and it works perfectly on the gaming rig. The resolution is exactly as it should be. So that narrows it down to something being up with the chrome webapp?

Hey you may have just inadvertently helped me with a longstanding issue I've been having with watching stuff remotely. I've been struggling to get things to play smoothly with transcoding through the browser for months, I didn't know there was a desktop app for Linux. I'm watching an episode of anime right now with rear end subs that used to absolutely thrash my server's CPU trying to transcode it but it's happily direct playing it smooth as butter right now through the desktop snap app :yeah:

Maybe this whole time I've just been getting tripped up on the cursed forest of code that is each different browser's web video APIs...

priznat posted:

I need to setup a channel that plays true crime murder shows mixed with episodes of unsolved mysteries and then I can probably unsubscribe from Netflix because that’s all my wife uses it for.

My mom is addicted to British police procedurals, if you find a deal with something that has the channel Acorn check it out, that seems to be their main focus.

gariig posted:

If I had to guess your Linux ISO is using hevc/h265 and Chrome doesn't support that codec. So you are needing to transcode to av1 (?) and you don't have enough hardware to do the decode/encode. You really need to look at the Plex server and see why it needs to transcode.

That would also explain why the Windows app works, it can let Windows handle the hevc decode.

:doh:

Chillmatic posted:

I just don't understand why Sonarr makes so much sense and is easy to use, while Radarr is a loving dumpster fire unless you started out with zero movies and used it exclusively to build your library.

I really with Radarr had Sonarr's Wanted > Manual Import button. If I've manually downloaded a movie file, I have to also manually create the folder for it, move the file into it, fix the permissions, THEN I can import it from the movie's info page which only looks at it's own specific folder :argh:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Takes No Damage posted:

I really with Radarr had Sonarr's Wanted > Manual Import button. If I've manually downloaded a movie file, I have to also manually create the folder for it, move the file into it, fix the permissions, THEN I can import it from the movie's info page which only looks at it's own specific folder :argh:
It's under Movies->Manual Import in Radarr.

THF13 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 12, 2024

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

THF13 posted:

That only lets you import movies that radarr already has in its library; you’re basically just telling it where the file/folder is. In other words it’s worthless and time consuming for anything more than a very small handful of movies.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think something has happened to my Apple TV. I’m getting frame rate issues in even non 4k media. Everything is wired, server freshly restarted.

Is the Shield Pro still the gold standard for playback? If I’m moving away from ATV I’d like 4k, hdr, all of the stuff the tvOS Plex client can’t do

Edit: I probably should just go to infuse

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 12, 2024

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

sellouts posted:

I think something has happened to my Apple TV. I’m getting frame rate issues in even non 4k media. Everything is wired, server freshly restarted.

Is the Shield Pro still the gold standard for playback? If I’m moving away from ATV I’d like 4k, hdr, all of the stuff the tvOS Plex client can’t do

Pay for a month of Infuse and see if it fixes things. I'll never go back to the official client. Especially because of how it's terrible with 4k content.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, I just really didn’t like the layout and it’s hard to retrain others. But you’re right.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have a previous gen appletv 4k that will drop sound on some movies. Pausing the movie or rewinding fixes it for a few minutes and then it'll happen again. I used to notice it with just 4k movies but some 1080 ones are doing it now. I'm using infuse and connected to some poo poo Amazon 4k tv I bought last Christmas so we had a bedroom tv, using a HomePod mini as a speaker connected to the appletv. Any ideas?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Oh yeah, infuse doesn’t do LiveTV. That’s why I never used it again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Infuse only seems worthwhile if you live and die by 4K content, and even then most of the issues people complain about have been fixed since most people have used the regular client. I had a monthly sub for 4K stuff and cancelled it as the regular client is so much better for my use.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

Chillmatic posted:

That only lets you import movies that radarr already has in its library; you’re basically just telling it where the file/folder is. In other words it’s worthless and time consuming for anything more than a very small handful of movies.

Actually this is more or less what I was looking for, it seems I can point that at my /usenet/complete/ folder and have it pick up anything that I've grabbed manually.
:nice:

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
What is the cheapest (nvidia) graphics card I can add to my system to boost Plex encode/decode?

I am taking the GTX1070 out of my old system, and using the rest of the computer for a FreeBSD NAS/Plex server, so I need a replacement. The processor is an old i7, somewhere around 5 - 7th generation.

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 13, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Why specifically Nvidia? I ask because there are cheaper intel options that are as good or better.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Kibner posted:

Why specifically Nvidia? I ask because there are cheaper intel options that are as good or better.

Sure, I'm open to anything. The last time I looked Nvidia was the only one well supported on FreeBSD. But if Intel has drivers, I'll get it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SA Forums Poster posted:

Sure, I'm open to anything. The last time I looked Nvidia was the only one well supported on FreeBSD. But if Intel has drivers, I'll get it.

Doing a brief google search, it looks like drm-kmod needs to support at least Linux kernel 6.2 to add full support for the Intel dGPUs. It looks like it currently only supports either 5.16 or 6.1 right now, so the ARC cards wouldn't help you. Sorry for the hope.

Since you are looking for Nvidia stuff, you can check out this encoder support matrix: https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod

If you want AV1, you need at least a 4060. Otherwise, you will probably want HEVC B-frame support, which will require something just one gen newer than your old 1070, so anything in the 2000 series or newer and only some of the 1650 line (be very careful you get the right model, if you go this route).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SA Forums Poster posted:

What is the cheapest (nvidia) graphics card I can add to my system to boost Plex encode/decode?

I am taking the GTX1070 out of my old system, and using the rest of the computer for a FreeBSD NAS/Plex server, so I need a replacement. The processor is an old i7, somewhere around 5 - 7th generation.

P400 Quadro