Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I. M. Gei posted:

Also Tanqueray and the wrestler/hand model who bit his own thumb off in the second episode.

And Stan's atheist friend who he accidentally turned on to Satan and it got him a rad goat skull guitar.

and Kisses. :smith:

Actually Tanqueray has shown up alive as a background character, well unless she has an identical twin running around or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The CIA clones people all the time all these background characters are clones.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Linda Memari was killed off in a throwaway line in one episode, but I don't remember if it stuck

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

JethroMcB posted:

Linda Memari was killed off in a throwaway line in one episode, but I don't remember if it stuck

IIRC, she's appeared in the background since and then in the neighbors club episode it was established they were run out of the neighborhood by the club so :shrug:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Did stans dad die to become Krampus? Oh Santa's workshop was killed.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

pixaal posted:

Did stans dad die to become Krampus? Oh Santa's workshop was killed.

Stan's dad is Krampus when he isn't driving a bus in Baltimore.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

drrockso20 posted:

Actually Tanqueray has shown up alive as a background character, well unless she has an identical twin running around or something

They do this with a lot of characters. Bad Larry is a good example. He was Stan's first real kill but now he shows up as a background character a lot. I think he was in the Cirque du Hey Hey Hey audience when Stan and Francine "broke up" with their 20-something couple-friends.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kwyndig posted:

The CIA clones people all the time all these background characters are clones.

Yeah, it was established in the very next episode that any character can come back at any time as a clone, which also means they could easily clone Klaus a new human body, but choose not to.

Which makes sense, Francine just bought more fish flakes (the kind he doesn't like) and they're not going to let those go to waste.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
the memaris are an offscreen presence that they can joke about and not really worry about consequences lore-wise

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

As long as Debbie never ever comes back it's fine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Stan’s spring break buddy Jessica turns up again in this Xmas episode, and a lot in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_kUAG7XNRM

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

I. M. Gei posted:

I still maintain this as one of my favorite American Dad moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLP3l-ELPic

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

At this point what is there for Debbie to even do storywise? Aside from Steve, I mean, and that's been established as never going to happen. Except in that one future where he married Snot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah it became pretty clear that the writers ran out of things to do with Debbie almost immediately after her first episode, so while I am still of the opinion that they just need to finally give Steve a permanent love interest(and no Snot doesn't count) it really shouldn't be Debbie

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Debbie started as a fat joke punching bag. The character was made into something more and retired seems like Debbie has her perfect end already as a character.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I didn’t mind Ali, the girl with a Fox jacket who liked to eat chillis. Could be good to see her again as an aloof love interest.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Andrew_1985 posted:

I didn’t mind Ali, the girl with a Fox jacket who liked to eat chillis. Could be good to see her again as an aloof love interest.

Milk Girl? Didn't she turn out to be Reese Witherspoon auditioning for a movie?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Andrew_1985 posted:

We also need to see more of Snot's girl from that episode too.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Snot’s Ride or Die Philadelphia love was amazing.

That episode had some solid stuff in it. Any time Principal Lewis is in a non-featured role failing at being responsible is good.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
What about the sexually curious, homeschooled-girl; Lolo Fuentes?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

pixaal posted:

Milk Girl? Didn't she turn out to be Reese Witherspoon auditioning for a movie?

That's the girl he wanted to hook up with, Ali was the girl he sat next to on the bus.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DrBouvenstein posted:

What about the sexually curious, homeschooled-girl; Lolo Fuentes?

*gasp!*

Lolo FUENTES!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Principal Lewis is real.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/decade-old-triple-homicide-case-cracked-4-arrested-on-malice-murder-charges.amp

https://www.wvtm13.com/article/macadory-administrator-leave-arrested/60759761

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm rewatching Fellow Traveler and noticed that Freddy Underwood was the name of one of his earlier personas, and Freddy introduces him to "Grandma Macadoo" which was the name he gave Francine in his Baywatch opening credits parody.

E: Oh, these are all different persona names he's taken on, neat

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 15, 2024

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I. M. Gei posted:

and Kisses. :smith:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I. M. Gei posted:

Debbie was fine

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i like debbie, but early season american dad was too early for her to truly shine

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Without Debbie we don't get eating disorder Stan which is unacceptable. The whole episode is great but the part where Stan giggles at the gossipy bitch remarking on another person in the group's "Tic-tac thighs" kills me for some reason.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Same with the fitness trainer's fading echoing "Bro!" at the end

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Levin posted:

Without Debbie we don't get eating disorder Stan which is unacceptable. The whole episode is great but the part where Stan giggles at the gossipy bitch remarking on another person in the group's "Tic-tac thighs" kills me for some reason.

The problem with that episode is that it wants to have it both ways by talking about toxic weight views but then just makes fat joke after fat joke with Debbie.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
As someone who's been fat his whole life, the thing that makes the Debbie jokes work on the balance for me is that in that Steve's attraction to her is never presented as weird. Debbie's a big girl and both Steve and Roger are into her physically and Steve is into her emotionally as well. Hell, in later episodes that Jewish kid Anton isn't a weirdo for liking her either and Stan finds he has things in common with her that let them bond as well. The jokes about Jewel or whatever her name is are far less excusable because there's nothing there besides the disgust, but Debbie is a well-rounded (is that a fat joke? Yeah, I GUESS IT IS!) character with confidence and value.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Stan’s reaction to finding out Debbie kills squirrels for fun of “Oh my god! …that’s a hard shot!” Always gets me. That and the squirrel pencil sharpener were great.

The only part of early-season neo-conservative Stan I miss is his weird relationship with guns like when he buckles into his car and tickles it

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tom Tucker posted:

Stan’s reaction to finding out Debbie kills squirrels for fun of “Oh my god! …that’s a hard shot!” Always gets me. That and the squirrel pencil sharpener were great.

The only part of early-season neo-conservative Stan I miss is his weird relationship with guns like when he buckles into his car and tickles it

I love in "Love, AD Style" Stan has the little speech that everyone in the family shoots each other.

"So what? She shot me before, I've shot you a couple of times. Everybody shoots everybody, it's how we communicate in this family."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ravenson posted:

IIRC, she's appeared in the background since and then in the neighbors club episode it was established they were run out of the neighborhood by the club so :shrug:

They just don't use then anymore because they were Nahnatchka Khan's thing, so they fell off the stage when she left to make Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

The problem with that episode is that it wants to have it both ways by talking about toxic weight views but then just makes fat joke after fat joke with Debbie.

Ravenson posted:

As someone who's been fat his whole life, the thing that makes the Debbie jokes work on the balance for me is that in that Steve's attraction to her is never presented as weird. Debbie's a big girl and both Steve and Roger are into her physically and Steve is into her emotionally as well. Hell, in later episodes that Jewish kid Anton isn't a weirdo for liking her either and Stan finds he has things in common with her that let them bond as well. The jokes about Jewel or whatever her name is are far less excusable because there's nothing there besides the disgust, but Debbie is a well-rounded (is that a fat joke? Yeah, I GUESS IT IS!) character with confidence and value.

Yeah, that's my take as well. It's been a while since I have seen it but I'm pretty sure Stan is the only one making fat jokes and it's painted as that being the unenlightened backwards perspective when it comes to the issue. I could be misremembering but the fat jokes also weren't very good which could have been intentional as another way of pointing out how it's just bad comedy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Honestly, one of the things I really like about American Dad’s comedy is that it never really punches down. Unlike Family Guy, which still does it a lot?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Levin posted:

Yeah, that's my take as well. It's been a while since I have seen it but I'm pretty sure Stan is the only one making fat jokes and it's painted as that being the unenlightened backwards perspective when it comes to the issue. I could be misremembering but the fat jokes also weren't very good which could have been intentional as another way of pointing out how it's just bad comedy.

Ehhh, they still don't actually portray Debbie well. Like at the end of the episode there's the "you had me at lasagna" joke when she's reconciling with Steve.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
As a fat person,

you had me at lasagna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

My issue with Debbie has never really been herself as a character and more that the plots she's part of have always been B-tier at best and often lower, like the writers have never been able to figure out her "groove" as a character in how she can contribute to the show's humor, which is probably why they eventually gave up on her, seemingly for good

Though really the main reason I want them to give Steve a permanent love interest(that again is not Snot) is that it would be a good shakeup for his character, much like getting married and getting a stable job were for Hayley