Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Neither is superior, I just happen to have a preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The faces in Tin Tin are kinda freaky but overall I like it. One moment I remember though is seeing the veins in Captain Haddock's arms, and thinking its odd to see that kind of sub-surface detail in a character with such cartoony proportions.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That movie is dancing on the uncanny knife edge the whole way through but I think it pulled it off, I had a good time with it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I may have posted excerpts from this book before, "Walt and Other Assorted Characters" by Jack Kinney, an animator/story artist/director at Disney back in 30s/40s/50s. I reread it this weekend for some historical perspective as I work my eyes and wrists raw on a modern product from that particular company. A lot has changed, but in many ways a lot has not changed.

Animators are still some of the heaviest drinkers you'll ever find, especially vfx animators.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Growing up I probably read that book like 10+ times….i should buy a copy….

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This showed up in a group I'm in. While I appreciate any live action film-maker's attempt to learn more about the CG process and to be able to communicate visually to an audience, the results here....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/312678368/blast-em-up

There's so many disciplines that someone needs to be able to master to make a feature animated film on their own. Some manage it by cutting corners in the right places, like having very easy to draw characters, or using a clever combo of 2d and 3d assets, toon shading, limiting scope, etc. This guy has.... maybe picked the hardest style to try to pull off in animation and has not done it well. Though I am curious about what he's doing for the faces. Even though the eyebrows aren't animated properly, the face rig looks like it can hit some appealing expressions if used well.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I hope to god that gets fully funded.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Daring to ask the question "Could we make a movie out of all these leftover Jonny Quest and Roughnecks assets?" without first asking if you should.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ccs posted:

This showed up in a group I'm in. While I appreciate any live action film-maker's attempt to learn more about the CG process and to be able to communicate visually to an audience, the results here....

There's so many disciplines that someone needs to be able to master to make a feature animated film on their own. Some manage it by cutting corners in the right places, like having very easy to draw characters, or using a clever combo of 2d and 3d assets, toon shading, limiting scope, etc. This guy has.... maybe picked the hardest style to try to pull off in animation and has not done it well. Though I am curious about what he's doing for the faces. Even though the eyebrows aren't animated properly, the face rig looks like it can hit some appealing expressions if used well.

This is so sad I wanna cry

I love shoot em up. This looks like food fight

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CelticPredator posted:

This looks like food fight

My exact thought.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently the Chris Pratt Garfield movie came out today, how bad is it based on reviews so far?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I have it on expert authority that Pratt Fart ruined it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone is seeing furiosa. Even the children

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Larryb posted:

Also apparently the Chris Pratt Garfield movie came out today, how bad is it based on reviews so far?

You should watch the double toasted review; they gave it the lowest rating of some old bullshit and they’ve reviewed all of the past Garfield movies. Chris part doesn’t even seem to try voice acting in this one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t stand them any more tbh. I’d rather watch the Pratt Garfield movie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Desperate Character posted:

You should watch the double toasted review; they gave it the lowest rating of some old bullshit and they’ve reviewed all of the past Garfield movies. Chris part doesn’t even seem to try voice acting in this one.

So somehow worse than the live action attempts then? I didn’t think that was possible

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Chris Pratt was the director's first choice to voice Garfield.

:wtc:

Chris Pratt says he went back to Andy Dwyer from Parks and Rec for Garfield's voice.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The thing that baffles me is that apparently a huge portion of this movie takes place on a farm but doesn't involve the other Arbuckles or any US Acres characters?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I keep getting a blurb on my Firefox launch page asking "Did the writers ever read a Garfield strip?" I haven't clicked it, but my guess is no.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i could believe that the writer/director may not be completely to blame for a film with 7 different production companies

given that the writer/director team also wrote and directed The Emperor's New Groove and Cats Don't Dance

i don't think many artists really want to be working on these brand films, they just are stuck on them because studios won't greenlight anything else

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 24, 2024

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ccs posted:

I don't mind this! He may not be hitting realism there's room in the pool for cinema that looks like a playstation game. Same mentality as Hobgoblins or something, cheap puppets and imagination make up for a lot of apparent technical flaws.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

FunkyAl posted:

I don't mind this! He may not be hitting realism there's room in the pool for cinema that looks like a playstation game. Same mentality as Hobgoblins or something, cheap puppets and imagination mst3k riffing make up for a lot of apparent technical flaws.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm well I’m glad he has a potential audience and his work might not be a complete waste of time

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I just love shlock, It's the lifeblood of the form. Bless this man and his cheap movie. Roger Corman is gone and we go on somehow.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Aaron Blaise is trying to fund his movie (or short, I'm not sure) "Snow Bear" by offering 500 people the chance at a lifetime membership of his website for $500 instead of $800.

I've taken a few of his classes before and they're...not great. The camera is either over his shoulder while he draws quickly or on him so you can't see what he's working on. Not exactly enthused about a lifetime membership but maybe some here would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWRE6Ag7aQ&t=3s

https://creatureartteacher.com/product/lifetime-premium-membership/

141 out of 500 have already been sold.

Also the reviews I've seen for Garfield have reviewers hating it because it's nothing like the Garfield strips and he's not depressed or something while the non-reviewers seem to love it regardless. Seems pretty middle of the road and might do okay. Just okay, not good or anything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FunkyAl posted:

I just love shlock, It's the lifeblood of the form. Bless this man and his cheap movie. Roger Corman is gone and we go on somehow.

I like schlock too but idk. I can’t stand ugly cgi for some reason. I know people put just as much work into it as anything else but I just don’t feel it the same way I feel it with someone who makes a monster out of junk they found in their house

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even back in the 90s, cheap CG wore out its welcome real fast unless they specifically worked around its weaknesses. There's a reason Pixar took a while before they made movies specifically focusing on CG humans; the toys, bugs and talking cars are obviously non-human and less likely to fall into the uncanny valley. Beast Wars is probably the og cg cartoon that people call 'good' and it had to work around the limitations; the 'robot' characters are easier to animate convincingly, and the difficulty of making new assets means they had to focus on deeper characterisation rather than the new toys of the week.

Incidentally I think people need to revisit War Planets/Shadow Raiders, that was wild.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Reboot had to fight against the limits of CGI (and censors) - though weirdly the dated graphics do work in that series' favor as a vibe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

Reboot had to fight against the limits of CGI (and censors) - though weirdly the dated graphics do work in that series' favor as a vibe.

That the characters are literally video game characters also helps. Fun thing, it's by the people who did the Money for Nothing music video, and those appliance delivery guys make a cameo. (and get mocked)

The Amazing Digital Circus is clearly a throwback visually to this era, and gives me lots of weirdly nostalgic vibes of 90s freeware CGI. The huge checkerboard floors in particular.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

speaking of 90s CGI, I decided to rewatch the live-action 101 Dalmatians last weekend. I hadn't seen it in...poo poo, must be at LEAST 20 years so I remembered some things, like Glenn Close having a ball as Cruella, but didn't remember all things. Specifically, when the airedale terrier is rescuing the puppies, he sends them down a drain pipe and every puppy you see in the pipe is CGI. Lordy was it CGI that did not age well.

incidentally, on another tangent, when the live action The Lion King came out, I made a bunch of complaints that I didn't get any sense of emotion from any of the characters. Posters in here fired back that "animals don't smile" and other banal poo poo like that. None of the dogs in 101 Dalmatians smile, but they sure as poo poo had emotional responses to what was happening, yet that was completely absent in The Lion King.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, that was always a self-evidently ridiculous argument. Why the gently caress are you telling a Shakesperian story if your actors are rendered physically incapable of emotion? ALL OF THEM.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Friend of mine is seeing this today. Jealous

https://variety.com/2024/music/news/lion-king-hollywood-bowl-concert-jeremy-irons-nathan-lane-jennifer-hudson-1235971181/

Jennifer Hudson doing the Carmen Twillie part will be something to see

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Data Graham posted:

Friend of mine is seeing this today. Jealous

https://variety.com/2024/music/news/lion-king-hollywood-bowl-concert-jeremy-irons-nathan-lane-jennifer-hudson-1235971181/

Jennifer Hudson doing the Carmen Twillie part will be something to see

Will Jim Cummings show up for the last verse of Be Prepared?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beachcomber posted:

Will Jim Cummings show up for the last verse of Be Prepared?

drat it, you beat me to the punch.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Ccs posted:

This has kids television episode where they get stuck in a video game vibes

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CelticPredator posted:

I like schlock too but idk. I can’t stand ugly cgi for some reason. I know people put just as much work into it as anything else but I just don’t feel it the same way I feel it with someone who makes a monster out of junk they found in their house

I will admit my barometer for this kind of thing is different from most peoples'. I've seen foodfight at least ten times. But I think the appeal isn't far off from monsters made of junk even if they're aesthetically very different, someone is still making this in their house, possibly on a refurbished Dell, doing all the voices or roping in their friends. The appeal is less like, "This is obviously fake" and more like "This could obviously never have been real." But both are still the human imagination busting at the limits of money, skill and/or sense.

And call me crazy, but I think we're in for a wave of amateur CGI nostalgia once people start adopting the generative AI stuff. Lots of horror movies with intentionally uncanny monsters, "Licorice Pizza" style throwbacks to the year 2008 that will get nominated for Oscars, critical reevaluations and restorations of the "Little Cars" movies, etc. Frank, obstinate ugliness goes down better than the lie of visual perfection, at least for me.

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, that was always a self-evidently ridiculous argument. Why the gently caress are you telling a Shakesperian story if your actors are rendered physically incapable of emotion? ALL OF THEM.

Once again, independent animation comes out on top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Sxcp8SVKM

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like in video games, obvious technical limitations are quite often forgiven for media that has a distinct style and aesthetic that works around them. Reminded of how much flak Wind Waker got at the time, and years later it's aged better than nearly anything else from that era. See also Paper Mario.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like in video games, obvious technical limitations are quite often forgiven for media that has a distinct style and aesthetic that works around them. Reminded of how much flak Wind Waker got at the time, and years later it's aged better than nearly anything else from that era. See also Paper Mario.

Before TTYD remake I was playing the N64 one via NSO and it's incredibly amazing how well it's aged even by modern standards especially with the new wave of games aiming for that retro aesthetic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FunkyAl posted:

And call me crazy, but I think we're in for a wave of amateur CGI nostalgia once people start adopting the generative AI stuff. Lots of horror movies with intentionally uncanny monsters, "Licorice Pizza" style throwbacks to the year 2008 that will get nominated for Oscars, critical reevaluations and restorations of the "Little Cars" movies, etc. Frank, obstinate ugliness goes down better than the lie of visual perfection, at least for me.

it will be the worst time in film then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Larryb posted:

It's like a random failed script they had found that they lazily turned into a garfield movie.

Why is Garfield always having outlandish adventures? Why can't he sleep in his house all day?