Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/403359911481839617?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lol

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

Drake responds I'm listening now, everybody is saying it's rear end. Omg lmao he's puppet mastering!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJeY-FXidDQ

Full anime villain speech

nice meltdown

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

drake will never make a track as good as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGUAp_xoi4o

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nooo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Eric Cantonese posted:

I’m not a hip-hop expert, but making fun of molestation victims isn’t a winning move.

lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Eric Cantonese posted:

I’m not a hip-hop expert, but making fun of molestation victims isn’t a winning move.

kendrick wasn't even molested drake is just retarded and didn't understand that kendrick was talking about how he was traumatized as a kid from his mom worrying about him being abused because she was

drake just hosed up so bad thats like lol of all the places to stomp into that might be the worst what a dumb dude

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's almost as bad a slip up as when Kendrick thought Joel Osteen starred in Sixth Sense

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

drake will never make a track as good as this

https://youtu.be/yUw36wY8fMw?si=2jRkH0jgYdz2IwEd

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

big lol at hitting all the classic poster meltdown beats, doing the actual We Do Not Diddle Kids song from always sunny, and wrapping it up with "your latest track actually kinda slaps minus calling for me to be killed as a pedophile"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

also honestly

I'd be pretty excited if someone called me the 69 god

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

drat fam that kendrick diss straight bussin 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

drake stans straight finna ya know what i mean

💪👊

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This beef poo poo has already made like an EP's worth of good music from Lamar and what's happening to Drake is hilarious. Funniest and greatest thing that has happened in pop culture in years

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I think when the lady in pink started beat boxing it was the first time I've involuntarily laughed at an SNL clip in many years. well done

Spergin Morlock has issued a correction as of 05:45 on May 6, 2024

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Me and my boys carefully orchestrating events so that we get called pedophiles in public repeatedly. we're actually laughing right now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh is there a rapsball happening? :smug:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Kendrick would be banned if he posted it on SA, which just proves how hosed up the rules are here.

been thinking about this for days

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

a damning indictment of both

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/DRBoguslaw/status/1787508375070134760 Fraud Guarantee

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I just watched the Alan Dershowitz movie Reversal of Fortune last night and it was good. Dersh's style in the movie reminded me of how a lot of my fellow millennials dressed in the late 2010s. I'm not sure why you guys are always so down on this Dersh guy, he seems cool.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
If you wanted to do a bit about defending a pedophile you could have done drake since that is the hot topic.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mr Hootington posted:

If you wanted to do a bit about defending a pedophile you could have done drake since that is the hot topic.

the only notable thing about reversal of fortune is they stole a line from it for jeremy irons to also say in the lion king. a little easter egg for dersh fans

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBrYSj8jPrY

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

@kirby seen this one yet? its insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl-bCNLOr7w

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al! posted:

neph has the best one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfxg-Pc_wJ0

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

I have not yet, thank. This was good! Stick with it past the intro, pro click

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

I have not yet, thank. This was good! Stick with it past the intro, pro click

the intro is worth it because of the way he drops into his flow like the moment you go into a waterslide

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

that's mega good
super cool thing hes doing with that delay on the vocals too, they feedback into the next bar and and turn into lil ghost hit sounding things to rap around & gives the vocals a bunch of rhythmic complexity with tiny changes to syllable count & where accenting is each bar

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
rewatched the seventh continent. cinema doesn't get any better than this

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

FirstnameLastname posted:

that's mega good
super cool thing hes doing with that delay on the vocals too, they feedback into the next bar and and turn into lil ghost hit sounding things to rap around & gives the vocals a bunch of rhythmic complexity with tiny changes to syllable count & where accenting is each bar

at first i thought it was just a lovely mic lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

"i dont got poo poo against gay people but you are gay" lmao

nephew just has something special, feels like lil b

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

FirstnameLastname posted:

"i dont got poo poo against gay people but you are gay" lmao

nephew just has something special, feels like lil b

he's so effortlessly funny

quote:

AR-15 sound like auntie when she thought stimulus wasn't coming

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Started watching Renegade on Tubi, show kicks rear end

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Started watching Renegade on Tubi, show kicks rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHNKfnbZHCg&t=155s

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

been watching through the hit 90s show The Pretender for some reason. I'm almost done with season 2. It's hilarious how much better at acting Patrick Bauchau is than every other actor on the show

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

In terms of popular franchises that were ripe for adaptation, Fallout had to be one of the best candidates available. It’s an immensely popular video game series with a devoted fanbase, several bestselling games, and endless source material that a team of talented writers could use to make a compelling story.

Done right, it could have joined the ranks of recent successful video game adaptations like The Last of Us, Arcane, or the The Super Mario Bros. Movie by handling the franchise with care and following the rules of good filmmaking. Then again, it could decide to go woke and make a hot mess of the IP like the recent Resident Evil and Halo television series or the old Super Mario Bros. movie, adaptations that made it clear that the filmmakers had no respect for the games or their respective audiences.

The new Fallout television series on Amazon lies somewhere in between these two extremes. Overall, the show is entertaining, but there are more than a few irritating flaws. It seems like the show’s creators wanted it to be all things to all people, staying faithful to the look and feel of the games to please fans while incorporating a wide range of characters and genres to reach a general audience. But, instead of becoming an all-encompassing epic adventure bringing these disparate elements into a harmonious whole, the show feels more like an incoherent hodgepodge that a viewer has to pick through.

To begin, what’s good about Fallout is the aesthetics and production. Nothing about it looks cheap or careless. The story takes place in California 200 years after a nuclear apocalypse that occurred sometime in the mid-20th century, rendering most of the surface a desert wasteland dotted with shantytowns, modern ruins, and military encampments. Underneath the surface are many vaults designed to preserve the corny, anti-communist Americana of the early Cold War period. Periodically, the story will flashback to the beginning when the bombs started dropping, faithfully depicting the fashions and interiors of that time. Visually speaking, the show somehow makes these typically drab settings appealing and colorful.

The same can be said for the action sequences and special effects, which are generally well-done. Occasionally, the gore is excessive, or the action is childishly unrealistic, but more often these scenes are exciting and believable.

However, Fallout’s greatest asset has to be Walton Goggins, who effectively carries the show, playing The Ghoul. Centuries before becoming a nose-less mutant bounty hunter who is feared across the land, The Ghoul was the famous actor Walter Cooper who did paid promotions for the morally dubious megacorporation Vault-Tec. Goggins does a masterful job switching from his character’s former self, an actor with misgivings about supporting a company that seems to be pushing nuclear war and a jaded bounty hunter roaming the wasteland vainly attempting to escape his past.

Unfortunately, Goggins’s excellence highlights the mediocrity of his costars, contributing to a real weakness in the series. Aside from Ella Purnell’s solid portrayal of the plucky Lucy Maclean, the rest of the cast is either forgettable or positively off-putting. At the top of this list is Aaron Moten who plays Maximus, a would-be knight who has the maturity and mannerisms of a toddler yet continually fails upwards. Moten somehow makes his already unlikeable character even worse by dragging out his lines and continually having a distressed facial expression where he always looks like he’s about to cry. The supporting cast is relatively flat due to a combination of lazy writing and one-note performances, though a few of the cameos (particularly those of Matt Berry and Fred Armisen) offer some genuinely funny moments.

In fairness to the actors, they have little to work with in terms of the writing, which is often schizophrenic and confused. This is probably unavoidable since the writers decided to make the show a sci-fi, zombie-apocalyptic satire of America during the Cold War in the style of an old Western—oh, and there’s a whole video game universe that needs to be represented as well. This smorgasbord of different genres leads to a clash of tones, irrational and sometimes contradictory character motivations, pointless conversations, and a host of jokes that don’t land. Even though plenty of things happen in each episode, it’s often difficult to determine what the show is trying to say or what the characters are trying to do.

Only in the final couple of episodes of the season does a coherent idea finally emerge and the plot threads come together. Unfortunately, it’s all pretty woke and ridiculously simplistic. Without giving away the ending, the show makes stupid complaints about capitalism, features a lesbian couple, casts some evil white men as villains, and derides American patriotism as abject hypocrisy.

Some other woke aspects of the show include its superlatively diverse cast (who knew pre-Civil Rights America was so progressive and inclusive?) and the obvious contrast between the dumb, deficient, and/or duped male characters and the competent, confident, and/or cool female characters. Even though this latter point seems tempered by the two main protagonists, the strong, fearsome Ghoul and the naive, ignorant Lucy, these dynamics reverse by the end of the season, with Lucy coming out on top and the Ghoul coming off like a chump.

That said, one could argue that the show doesn’t make a point of its wokeness, and it could have been much worse, which is true. There aren’t any tedious monologues about sexism or racism, and the Ghoul and Lucy at least have discernible character arcs that help them transcend the woke box-checking. And even if the show’s pervasive tokenism detracts from the realism and seriousness of the show, few people are actually going to watch it for these reasons.

Rather, they will watch it to escape from today’s controversies and have a good time. And in this regard, they will be satisfied with the first season of Fallout. Moreover, the show has great potential to become even better in future seasons. If its creators can pick a lane with the kind of story they want to tell, avoid the woke signaling, and give Goggins’s Ghoul some better foils, then Fallout can take its rightful place in the pantheon of superb video game adaptations.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

woke signaling = a woman or black person

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

been watching through the hit 90s show The Pretender for some reason. I'm almost done with season 2. It's hilarious how much better at acting Patrick Bauchau is than every other actor on the show

Lol yeah.

That bald character actor from Daredevil is from it iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat I didn't know the Resident evil TV show was woke. Devastating news